Class Creation

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was playing through an very, very old D&D adventure (I'm talking like 1984 old) and saw a class called thief. Looking through my Player's Guide, I didn't find that, so I created one called the ninja\ assassin class. I fleshed out some basic stats that you can find below. however, i'd like to know: could i possibly have help editing, adding, or taking away from it?

Ninja\Assassin class 

roles

Assassin. Assassins use as much cover as possible to advance toward their foes

Power source 

Martial. ninjas are trained in hand to hand and basic weaponry

Key abilities

Endurance, strength

Armor Profincencies

Cloth, leather

Weapon Profiencencies

Superior ranged, military melee 

Hit points at first level

11+Constitution score

HP per level gained:

Healing surges per day: 

5+constitution modifier   

I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel here.  4e class creation can be a lot of work, and what you're trying to do already exists several times over. 

The Rogue class is the current incarnation of the thief, and has been named as such for several editions at least.  The Rogue even has a build labeled "Thief" in Heroes of the Fallen Land.

Further, the thief/ninja/assassin archetype can already be handled in dozens of different ways with existing material.  The rogue, for example, handles all of them straight out of the box with just the player's handbook.  Other good starting points include the ranger, avenger, slayer, monk, and assassin.  And that's before you take into consideration hybridizing, multiclassing, and themes.

And not to sound harsh, but you don't really have enough to start  giving meaningful critiques yet or suggestions yet.  Whether a class succeeds or fails depends on how well it can do its job, how interesting it is, and how balanced it is.  And those factors depends almost entirely on the class's abilities, features, and powers; Of which, you have none yet listed.  Its like asking for help making your pizza taste better and only giving us the box.

Though I will mention that "role" has a specific meaning in 4e nomenclature, and "assassin" is not one of those roles.  The term you're probably looking for is "striker". 
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
I appreciate the unput. When I first created the class, I was using the class section from the player's handbook as a template. I didn't create powers or feats. I'm thinking I'll just scrap that class and just create a rogue character instead. Again, I thank you for your input.
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.