Dungeon Command - Umber Hulk Slide within the 4 hazardous squares = 30 extra damage?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do I get this correct that if I attack an opponent with an Umber Hulk I slide him between 2 adjacent hazardous squares for 30 extra damage?
 No.  Only 10 damage.

The first time a creature enters hazardous terrain during an activation, it is dealt 10 damage.

So, no matter how many squares of hazardous terrain a creature slides into, it will only take the first 10 points of damage.  That's within a single activation (i.e. a single creature's turn), though.

For example, you use Confusion Gaze on a creature, and it enters 3 squares of Hazardous terrain in the slide.  It'll take only 10 points of damage.  But, if you have another piece, like maybe a wizard that can do some sort of forced movement, then on that piece's activation, it also could force the target creature into hazardous terrain for another 10 points of damage.

This does bring up another question, though.  When is the damage from hazardous terrain applied?  is it immediately upon entering the square, or is it at the end of the move?  This seems to be very important, because one way makes it so the damage can never be negated with immediate order cards.

Complete Actions: You cannot respond to part of an action, only to an entire action. For example, you can respond either before a creature moves or after it has finished moving, but not in the middle of its movement.

To me, this sounds like I must wait until any forced movement is complete before I can respond to it.  So, if an umber hulk were to confuse one of my creatures and slide it into a square of hazardous terrain, if the damage is applied immediately, I'd never be able to respond to it, as I'd have to wait for the slide to be completed, by which time the damage has already been done.

If, however, the damage is applied at the end of the slide, I can then negate the damage, possibly keeping it on the board (especially with a piece like the elf archer that only has 10 hp in the first place).

Of course, it may be that it's intended that hazardous terrain damage is not able to be negated, and I'm cool with that, too.  It makes placement of low-health pieces a little bit more strategic.  Don't keep your almost-dead dwarf cleric or your elf archer that's harrying the other team next to a brazier when the umber hulk comes out.  Or, do so, because making a tempting Confusion Gaze target might keep another piece alive one turn longer than it might otherwise last (a sort of gambit, if you will).

The rulebook says hazardous terrain is a trigger, so what would happen is that it would trigger as soon as the thing moved over the square, and go on the stack.  I don't see any reason it would resolve any faster than anything else, so presumably you can respond to the trigger just like in Magic, though this isn't spelled out 100%.  OTOH if it can't be responded to there's no reason to explicitly call it out as a trigger and thus going on the stack.
Hey guys, excellent discussion. Here is how hazardous terrain works in regards to immediates. 

You can't RESPOND to an action in the middle of it. Which means that you can't play an immediate as a creature moves around you, you have to do it before or after the action.

However, a triggered effect is a new action (page 8, resolving actions).

When a creature moves onto a hazardous terrain space, that triggers a new action (the 10 damage from the space) forcing the movement to stop while the new action resolves. Passive effects may stop movement while they resolve. 

So as you move onto a hazardous terrain space, the movement stops temporarily for the triggered action to take effect. The triggered action (taking the 10 damage) is what you can respond to. Once the action clears, movement continues.
Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
Sign In to post comments