Ranger companion

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, really simple question here, but just wondering if any Ranger can have a companion or just Beast mastery Rangers?
I'm totally new to D&D and can't seem to find the answer on the Internet anywhere :/
This is for 4e, If that makes any difference
The Beastmaster Ranger is the only build of ranger that gets an animal sidekick as a class feature.

However, there are themes that can get any character an animal sidekick, such as Fey Beast Tamer.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Ah, that sucks lol. This might sound silly, but what do you mean by themes?
Themes are a new character element introduced in some of the more recent books.  It's basically another aspect of character creation, along with race, class, and background.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
yep. but if you don't have access to themes, which wouldn't be suprising if you're new to DnD (Welcome! I hope you have fun ), you can multiclass into an arcane class and then take the familiar feat. it's expensive (2 feats), and not really what you're looking for, but you get some benefits for the multiclassing. Options never hurt, sometimes help.
If your just looking for a playful pet, maybe ask your DM if they will allow to have an animal that will follow you around and perfom menial, non-combat kind of tasks. Welcome to the game Smile
I think I'm going to do that, Arlim. Beastmaster sounds cool, but I read that the beast you have uses your Standard,minor, move, instead of you. I'm too selfish to share! Lol XD
Thanks for help :D
I think I'm going to do that, Arlim. Beastmaster sounds cool, but I read that the beast you have uses your Standard,minor, move, instead of you. I'm too selfish to share! Lol XD Thanks for help :D

If you were looking for a combat pet, I'd recommend a second look at the Fey Beast Tamer.  It's got some great things going for it.

1. It's a theme, and themes can be applied equally well to any class.

2. It's available for free in the Heroes of the Feywild preview.

3. You don't have to sacrifice actions to make your fey beast effective.  Your fey beast moves whenever you spend a move action, so no wasted actions getting your companion into position.  And fey beasts have always-on aura that can aid allies or hinder foes just by being near combat, so no need to spend standard actions to make it have an impact in combat.  And at 5th level, your fey beast grants you combat advantage against any foe in the aura. 

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.