A Hairless Thoctar cycle: Hideaway lands

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I loved the hideaway lands (well, most of them). There's something so rewarding about winning your little subgame, and getting raw card advantage for so little opportunity cost.
The only thing that I really didn't like about them is that they were almost completely devoid of flavor. There were no stories attached to them, they were just qualities of those colors stapled onto lands of the appropriate color.

I want to see if I can do better.

Pristine Chapel
Land
Rare
Hideaway (This land enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
T: Add W to your mana pool.
W, T: You may play the exiled card without paying it's mana cost if you gained 5 or more life this turn.

-Originally, this cast off of a creature entering the battlefield under your control from your graveyard, but this seemed hideously broken with persist and undying. Lifegain seemed like the next logical step for a churchly hideaway land. I liked it better than the alternative of just controlling an angel or something like that.

Sacrifical Altar
Land
Rare
Hideaway
T: Add B to your mana pool.
B, T: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if you sacrificed three or more creatures this turn.

-I really hope this is straight forward; it's a cult's altar. Pay the toll, and you get your reward.

Wishing Tree
Land
Rare
Hideaway
T: Add G to your mana pool.
G, T: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if Wishing Tree is a creature.

-This was the coolest green trigger I could think of.

Gambling Hall
Land
Rare
Hideaway
T: Add R to your mana pool.
R, T: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if you won two a coin flip this turn.

-Probably the easiest to trigger, but considering you have to heavily invest in 'bad' cards to make it work, I think it's probably safe where it's at.

Hall of Tomes
Land
Rare
Hideaway
T: Add U to your mana pool.
U, T: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if you have nine or more cards in your hand.

-This start at 8 or more cards, but it seemed a might too easy to trigger that way.
I only like the green one.
These are nice flavorwise, but I always wished they were more like Spinerock Knoll. You don't have to do anything in EDH, for that to trigger. It's like: surprise, free spell, buddy.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
More isn't a problem really. I understand you just wanted to take a shot at a concept that appeals to you. I do that myself. I think some of your versions are great combo matera. Others seems like they're less so. Gaining 5 life is really simple. I love the "if land is a creature" one. And Gambling Hall has great flavor. Even that seems to have been spammed quite a bit these days. It would really come down to how the set project is developed though.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

The white one is almost as easy to trigger as the old white one
I have to agree with metalevolence. I think it should be bumped to 10 life (which is still easy, just less easy)

I don't like the Red one too much, and the green one seems narrow but isn't too terrible. The others are fineĀ 
The green one is amazing.
blah blah metal lyrics