Rage quitting

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
its ridiculous how people rage quit so they dont take a loss its unfair to other people to rank up, so we can see who really is the best in the world hopefully wizard will put a patch that if u rage quit u lose points
Conceding already counts as a loss I believe.
Not really they lose less points then when someone defeats them
Not really they lose less points then when someone defeats them



Citation needed.


In most competetive gaming circles, it's considered rude to prolong a game unnecessarily when it's clear that you've lost.
Not really they lose less points then when someone defeats them



Citation needed.


In most competetive gaming circles, it's considered rude to prolong a game unnecessarily when it's clear that you've lost.



EXACTLY. I can't tell you how many times myself and my team-mate would "rage quit" because our opponents are too dunce to calculate the total and equal amount of damage from the base number of power each of their creatures has without playing any other cards to waste our time.

TLDR; If you can win the game without playing a single card your turn, but refuse to be polite enough to end the match then be prepared for people to leave with you QQing as to why they left.
Agreed gets annoying when someone plays every card they have in hand just to do it when they clearly have the game won with just attacking 





 
Conceeding is not "rage quitting" at all.
When you conceed, you get a loss.
I know that for a fact, because I conceed all the time.

And conceeding happens all the time in DotP BECAUSE people decide to prolong the game (take extra turns, building an uneeded massive army, playing every card in their hand when they could just win by simply attacking, etc) when they can easily take you out that turn WITHOUT all the extra bullshit.
Other times I conceed is if I have to leave in the middle of the game due to IRL reasons, or if I feel like I have 100% no chance in coming back in that game no matter what I draw.

It makes no sense to waste those extra 2-10 minutes of your life to see a screen that says defeat, when you know you have already realistically lost that game. 
its ridiculous how people rage quit so they dont take a loss its unfair to other people to rank up, so we can see who really is the best in the world hopefully wizard will put a patch that if u rage quit u lose points



It's okay bro, you're just not familiar with M:tG etiquette.  Typically we prefer for people to quit once put into a losing situation that they cannot get out of.  I typically tell people I'm teaching that they should wait until after their draw step to see if they draw a card that will dig them out. 

If someone is waiting for you to make your attack and then they quit, then yes they are rage quitting and unfortunately that's just the way it is.   But if someone quits during their turn, or right after you play something that drastically alters the game state and/or guarantees you a win and/or they have no way to deal with, then that's not a rage quit, that's just typical Magic Player behavior.

You're a lose cannon.

 

 

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I only "rage-quit" under a few set conditions:
1. I only have one or two mana in play on turn 5 and I'm playing something other than Goblins or Peacekeepers.
2. Someone pulls an infinite combo that I can't respond to.
3. My opponent refuses to end the game, despite being capable of doing enough damage and I'm tapped out or have an empty hand.

In all of those cases, it's a simple matter of not wasting my time. You want to play out your infinite combo or max out your overkill? Why should I stick around? Turn AI Takeover on if you really need to beat an opponent. 

In all of those cases, it's a simple matter of not wasting my time. You want to play out your infinite combo or max out your overkill? Why should I stick around? Turn AI Takeover on if you really need to beat an opponent. 


Personally I prefer making my opponent play his things out. Who am I to deny him the opportunity to screw something up. Plus there's the tale of the storm player who set up a storm count of enough, then cast Burning Wish. His opponent conceded to the wish, because why waste the eight seconds it would take to pull Grapeshot from his sideboard? Turns out he forgot to put Grapeshot in his registration, so he basically managed to bluff his way through most of the tourney.
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

In all of those cases, it's a simple matter of not wasting my time. You want to play out your infinite combo or max out your overkill? Why should I stick around? Turn AI Takeover on if you really need to beat an opponent. 


Personally I prefer making my opponent play his things out. Who am I to deny him the opportunity to screw something up. Plus there's the tale of the storm player who set up a storm count of enough, then cast Burning Wish. His opponent conceded to the wish, because why waste the eight seconds it would take to pull Grapeshot from his sideboard? Turns out he forgot to put Grapeshot in his registration, so he basically managed to bluff his way through most of the tourney.



Oh, I don't usually concede in paper magic. And if I think I have an out if my opponent screws up in DotP, then I'll wait. I actually played against peacekeepers once where the opponent could have beaten me by attacking with everything, but I think he forgot that my Kraken Hatchling was pacified. He waited and the next turn was enough for me to flip everything around because I had Talrand out. Anyway, when a single mistake is not going to be enough to get me back in the game, I don't really want to stick around while the guy turns his forces from just enough dudes into an overwhelming army. I play this game for fun. Waiting to die with absolutely no recourse is not fun.
I typically try to play a duel to its conclusion; but in some cases when it's obvious I've lost and it's still going to take a while, like in the case of a Time Warp cycle, I'll concede. Also, I must confess I am guilty of the occasional rage quit.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Also, I must confess I am guilty of the occasional rage quit.



Who isnt.

I rage quit because of my *RANDOM* partners in 2HG, costing us game every once in a while. 

Also, Serra Ascendant x2 turn 2. F*** that.
If theres no way out i will concede but i do prefer to play untill 0 as you never know what could happen.

But to the OP leader boards mean squat there broken hell over night on the ps3 about 5 more guys now have a score of around 65k to go with like the other 3 there.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best
I just rage-quited in Apple Magic 2013. I am so p!ssed off! So my opponent has this spider(Obedient dead) which has the ability (!) to give a target creature -1/-1. I have layed down Mark of Asylum: Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control. He sacrifises the spider and despite the Mark thus destroys some 2/1 creature of mine.
I have seen this quitre often: a card not acting as the text makes you believe. Part of it is my unfamiliarity with Magic, but things like this, really!
I just rage-quited in Apple Magic 2013. I am so p!ssed off! So my opponent has this spider(Obedient dead) which has the ability (!) to give a target creature -1/-1. I have layed down Mark of Asylum: Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control. He sacrifises the spider and despite the Mark thus destroys some 2/1 creature of mine.
I have seen this quitre often: a card not acting as the text makes you believe. Part of it is my unfamiliarity with Magic, but things like this, really!


Putting a -1/-1 token on a creature is not damage, so it's not prevented by Mark of Asylum. Cards that do non-combat damage will generally have the keyword "damage" written somewhere in them, like Lightning Bolt or Corrupt
I just rage-quited in Apple Magic 2013. I am so p!ssed off! So my opponent has this spider(Obedient dead) which has the ability (!) to give a target creature -1/-1. I have layed down Mark of Asylum: Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control. He sacrifises the spider and despite the Mark thus destroys some 2/1 creature of mine.
I have seen this quitre often: a card not acting as the text makes you believe. Part of it is my unfamiliarity with Magic, but things like this, really!


Putting a -1/-1 token on a creature is not damage, so it's not prevented by Mark of Asylum. Cards that do non-combat damage will generally have the keyword "damage" written somewhere in them, like Lightning Bolt or Corrupt

Well, I can easily argue that it IS damage, since my creature was removed from play, but let's not go there. Is there a list somewhere, where a more in-depth explanation on the exact wording/working of cards is given? As said, I have seen this quite often, where a card does not do what you would expect it to do.
I have googled the internet, but cannot find such list.
I just rage-quited in Apple Magic 2013. I am so p!ssed off! So my opponent has this spider(Obedient dead) which has the ability (!) to give a target creature -1/-1. I have layed down Mark of Asylum: Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control. He sacrifises the spider and despite the Mark thus destroys some 2/1 creature of mine.
I have seen this quitre often: a card not acting as the text makes you believe. Part of it is my unfamiliarity with Magic, but things like this, really!


Putting a -1/-1 token on a creature is not damage, so it's not prevented by Mark of Asylum. Cards that do non-combat damage will generally have the keyword "damage" written somewhere in them, like Lightning Bolt or Corrupt

Well, I can easily argue that it IS damage, since my creature was removed from play, but let's not go there. Is there a list somewhere, where a more in-depth explanation on the exact wording/working of cards is given? As said, I have seen this quite often, where a card does not do what you would expect it to do.
I have googled the internet, but cannot find such list.


Magic: The Gathering is all about Exact Words and precise vocabulary. I suggest reading a rules guide-book.
A creature is destroyed as a state-based action if:
-Its toughness is 0
-It's dealt damage equal or superior to its toughness

Cards don't do what you think they should do, they do EXACTLY what's written on them.
Damage may be converted into -1-1 counters but -1-1  counters are not considered damage.  I tried to do a quick look, there is probably a more clear answer out there but I did find this.

 

119.3d Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither and/or infect causes that many -1/-1
counters to be put on that creature.
119.3e Damage dealt to a creature by a source with neither wither nor infect causes that much
damage to be marked on that creature.

Since your spell in questions doesn't deal with wither or infect, it would have to be marked damage and not counters to be considered damage.
It is also true that you can't kill an indestructable creature with damage but you can kill it with -1-1 counters.  

You can read the full sections on damage and counters here:    www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCom...     It is quite long.   

 Furthermore, damage heals, counters do not.


121.1. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player that modifies its characteristics and/or
interacts with a rule, ability, or effect. Counters are not objects and have no characteristics. Notably,
a counter is not a token, and a token is not a counter. Counters with the same name or description
are interchangeable.

I just rage-quited in Apple Magic 2013. I am so p!ssed off! So my opponent has this spider(Obedient dead) which has the ability (!) to give a target creature -1/-1. I have layed down Mark of Asylum: Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control. He sacrifises the spider and despite the Mark thus destroys some 2/1 creature of mine.
I have seen this quitre often: a card not acting as the text makes you believe. Part of it is my unfamiliarity with Magic, but things like this, really!


Putting -1 / -1 counter(s) on a creature is not the same as taking 1 point of damage on a creature.


What is a counter?
121.1. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player that modifies its characteristics and/or interacts with a rule, ability, or effect. Counters are not objects and have no characteristics. Notably, a counter is not a token, and a token is not a counter. Counters with the same name or description are interchangeable.

121.1a A +X/+Y counter on a creature or on a creature card in a zone other than the battlefield, where X and Y are numbers, adds X to that object's power and Y to that object's toughness. Similarly, -X/-Y counters subtract from power and toughness. See rule 613.3.

See counters changes the Power / Toughness of the creature; whereas damage only modifiys the creature card it effects.

119.5. Damage dealt to a creature or planeswalker doesn't destroy it. Likewise, the source of that damage doesn't destroy it. Rather, state-based actions may destroy a creature or planeswalker, or otherwise put it into its owner's graveyard, due to the results of the damage dealt to that permanent. See rule 704.

704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it's put into its owner's graveyard. Regeneration can't replace this event. 704.5g If a creature has toughness greater than 0, and the total damage marked on it is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed. Regeneration can replace this event.


The creature did not take 1 point of damage is had its power and toughness changed to -1 / -1 (ie a 2/2 creature is now simply a 1/1 creature.)

This would mean that damage pervention cards would have no effect on how counters interact with that creature.


I am sorry if this is still not clear. I am bad at explaining stuff.

IMAGE(http://www.speedtest.net/result/3174021167.png)

Back to the OP.

I quit immediately seeing a first turn SA.  Other than that I try to stick around to the end.  I will sometimes leave if my enemy is drawing things out extremely long or my partner is painfullly stupid.  

I tend to call people all types of emasculating names when they quit when all we need to do is attack.  It really amazes me the number of people that will quit a half second before the last damage is delt.  I really don't know what they are thinking at that point but the only thing that makes any sense to me seems really childish.  I try to play with AI takeover on so it doesn't matter, but when it is off, a half second quitter busts up the other three people from playing in the next match unnecessarily.

The irony is not lost on me that I am calling others names and thinking of them as childish.
Really?! Another thread on quitting/conceding!

Just over 70% of the threads on this forum are about quiting/conceding, how moral it is and its effect on leaderboards.  The rest are about Stevolutionary.

How many more times can we go over the same thing?  A whole lot more I bet......
Judging by the fact that threads fall off the first page here in a few hours, I can't say I am overly surprised.  

Magic: The Gathering is all about Exact Words and precise vocabulary. I suggest reading a rules guide-book.
A creature is destroyed as a state-based action if:
-Its toughness is 0
-It's dealt damage equal or superior to its toughness

Cards don't do what you think they should do, they do EXACTLY what's written on them.



Wrong. Language is about people, interpretations and semantics. But I said already: let's not go there. If the general consensus is, that counters are not damage, fine, I am not going on a crusade to fight it. There is nothing EXACT about language, so don't use that argument.
Looking over some other comments, if you need numerous paragraphs with detailed explanations telling you EXACTly how a card/rule works, than there is another good reason why I don't play RL Magic.

Magic: The Gathering is all about Exact Words and precise vocabulary. I suggest reading a rules guide-book.
A creature is destroyed as a state-based action if:
-Its toughness is 0
-It's dealt damage equal or superior to its toughness

Cards don't do what you think they should do, they do EXACTLY what's written on them.



Wrong. Language is about people, interpretations and semantics. But I said already: let's not go there. If the general consensus is, that counters are not damage, fine, I am not going on a crusade to fight it. There is nothing EXACT about language, so don't use that argument.
Looking over some other comments, if you need numerous paragraphs with detailed explanations telling you EXACTly how a card/rule works, than there is another good reason why I don't play RL Magic.



Well if you don't want to take the time to learn the rules then don't take that same time to complain about how the game plays if you don't even know how to play it. Yes, words can be perceived to have many meaning but rules are an exacting set of terms both player agree to play within. The only person(s) who has sway over how a rules is used in the game are the rulekeepers/gamemasters/coders/creators/ect; least of which are the players. 

IMAGE(http://www.speedtest.net/result/3174021167.png)


Magic: The Gathering is all about Exact Words and precise vocabulary. I suggest reading a rules guide-book.
A creature is destroyed as a state-based action if:
-Its toughness is 0
-It's dealt damage equal or superior to its toughness

Cards don't do what you think they should do, they do EXACTLY what's written on them.



Wrong. Language is about people, interpretations and semantics. But I said already: let's not go there. If the general consensus is, that counters are not damage, fine, I am not going on a crusade to fight it. There is nothing EXACT about language, so don't use that argument.
Looking over some other comments, if you need numerous paragraphs with detailed explanations telling you EXACTly how a card/rule works, than there is another good reason why I don't play RL Magic.


If how each card worked was up to each player's interpretation then how would you play the game? It would just be two people shouting at each other over definitions. Yeah, language is all about personal interpretation, but the text on cards is not language.

Think of what's written on the cards as mathematical symbols, they have a single definition that can be found on a unique document, "The Rules".
Imagine if in Chess, players could decide the shape of the L movement for the horse based on their own interpretation. Yeah, that's not how it works.

If how each card worked was up to each player's interpretation then how would you play the game? It would just be two people shouting at each other over definitions. Yeah, language is all about personal interpretation, but the text on cards is not language.

Think of what's written on the cards as mathematical symbols, they have a single definition that can be found on a unique document, "The Rules".
Imagine if in Chess, players could decide the shape of the L movement for the horse based on their own interpretation. Yeah, that's not how it works.



Look, let's stop here. You show clearly you are not well aware how social interaction/communication between people work as well as not very understanding on what language is. For instance, read my first answer to you again: I admit it is useless to fight a common acceptance on how, in this case, the game is played. Don't bring logic here, because it just is not valid here.
On the iPad it sucks because you can't turn off having to play the AI after someone conceeds. I think it's still a win for you but it's not clear.   Also, there's rampant disconnecting.  Really annoying when someone gets a bad had and suddenly their timer drags on to time out then they get replaced with the AI.

I conceed the second the situation is guaranteed hopeless for me.  There's have been times I wanted to conceed mid-game becuase the opponet pulled off what looked pretty bad for me but I stuck it through and won.

If how each card worked was up to each player's interpretation then how would you play the game? It would just be two people shouting at each other over definitions. Yeah, language is all about personal interpretation, but the text on cards is not language.

Think of what's written on the cards as mathematical symbols, they have a single definition that can be found on a unique document, "The Rules".
Imagine if in Chess, players could decide the shape of the L movement for the horse based on their own interpretation. Yeah, that's not how it works.



Look, let's stop here. You show clearly you are not well aware how social interaction/communication between people work as well as not very understanding on what language is. For instance, read my first answer to you again: I admit it is useless to fight a common acceptance on how, in this case, the game is played. Don't bring logic here, because it just is not valid here.




That's such a slimy a**hole thing to say that I just had to bang my head against the keyboard. 
"Let's stop here but it's apparent that you have no idea what you're saying." Really? If you want to "stop here" just say so and don't stroke your ego if you're not prepared to defend it.

Another academic blowhard performing his identity on the internet.  He doesn't actually care about the issue at hand, he's more interested in proving he knows more than everyone on some other marginally related subject.

We get it, you minored in Linguistics.  We look forward to your next term paper, "You Say Counters, I Think Damage: The Socio-Cultural Semiology of Magic."

 In conclusion, you are wrong and that's ok.  If a card says "damage," rules related to "damage" apply.  If it doesn't, they don't.  The meaning is irrelevant, they are simply signs.
Yes, I'm gonna stop here since it appears neither of us are going to learn anything from this exchange.
Yes, I'm gonna stop here since it appears neither of us are going to learn anything from this exchange.


Absolutely true.

Concerning jetjaguar and Hreterus: consider taking a summer class on reading comprehension.
What the **** happened to this thread in the past 5 hours???

Your Mark of Asylum must be bugged in Your version. Try uninstalling the game, remember to delete all the files. It happens sometimes with some cards. 
Yes, I'm gonna stop here since it appears neither of us are going to learn anything from this exchange.


Absolutely true.

Concerning jetjaguar and Hreterus: consider taking a summer class on reading comprehension.




I don't know why I bother.


"Witty" nonchalant dismissals without substance are not at all impressive even if they make you feel good about yourself. My initial complaint was your finishing a conversation with a "it's obvious that I'm right but let's stop here" and you continue to prove my point.


Words CAN be precise, and in the case of MTG they are very well defined. If I played a doom blade on your creatures it could be argued that I can now rip it apart since it says destroy. Alternatively it could just mean "chair". 


"Hello Mrs. Anderson, would you please sit down?  ... No, no I said sit down not lie down ... Ah, I see you don't adhere to that definition ... let me explain what I mean by sitting down, legs being the part of your body on which you stand..."


10 hours later the job interview had finally begun.


 

I can't understand, at all, why anyone would think this statement "Place a -1/-1 counter on target creature" is = to "deals 1 point of damage to target creature".  They clearly do not say the same thing.  This whole topic is pretty funny.  Laughing

Btw, Magic is all about EXACT wording.  The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.

Edit:  I forgot to say Oh yay, yet another thread complaining about rage quitting.  Too bad; people will scoop when they're about to lose or on their turn or when others are showboating and dragging it out unnecessarily.  I quit matches often because most random people I face just don't know how to end it fast enough when I'm going to lose.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I quit when people are wasting my time.  If I'm tapped out, or no cards in hand and they have 3 times the damage on the board needed to kill me, but keep casting creatures, I concede and save myself a few minutes. 

Otherwise, I stay through the bell. 
.


I don't know why I bother.



Because you can not stand NOT having the last word?



"Witty" nonchalant dismissals without substance are not at all impressive even if they make you feel good about yourself.



You seem to have a lot of experience there.


Words CAN be precise, and in the case of MTG they are very well defined.


Words can be precise, true, but not in MtG. Else explain all the errata and the adendums?


If I played a doom blade on your creatures it could be argued that I can now rip it apart since it says destroy. Alternatively it could just mean "chair". 


Does this not nullify your previous sentence?


"Hello Mrs. Anderson, would you please sit down?  ... No, no I said sit down not lie down ... Ah, I see you don't adhere to that definition ... let me explain what I mean by sitting down, legs being the part of your body on which you stand..."


For each example you concoct to proof your point I can come up with an example to proof exactly the opposite. How long do you wish to continue this? Believe me, on language and human behaviour you do NOT wish to argue with me.

Ah, another language expert... I hope you don't mind if I do not repeat myself on your knowledge of language, semantics and human behaviour?

I can't understand, at all, why anyone would think this statement "Place a -1/-1 counter on target creature" is = to "deals 1 point of damage to target creature".  They clearly do not say the same thing. 


This is true. If I shoot you dead or whether I stab you to dead is clearly different from each other. The effect is the same. But hold your horses: it is clear now to me that this is, in the world of MtG, indeed not the same. Common sense was not the basis for these rules.

Btw, Magic is all about EXACT wording.  The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.


Yeah yeah, language is exact. That's why mathematic formulas are used to describe certain phenomenas and theories...

For each example you concoct to proof your point I can come up with an example to proof exactly the opposite. How long do you wish to continue this? Believe me, on language and human behaviour you do NOT wish to argue with me.



Haha, I rest my case.
It's two different statements that say two different things.  Whether the result is the same or not is irrelevant.  That's lilke saying destroy and exile are the same thing when they're clearly not.  There are specific rules that explain these wordings.  Go look them up.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.