7/27/2012 TWTW: "Introducing the 2012 Pro Tour Hall of Fame Class"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I guess this doesn't come as a surprise, but it looks like a lot of the players were probably gaming their votes?  It seems unlikely that 29% actually believed that Paulo didn't deserve to be in the top five candidates for the Hall of Fame.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
If rumors about Jensen cheating are true, not sad to see him miss out on the HoF. Hard to know if that's the case though.
Jensen was cheating? First I've heard of it. Do you have any links?
The rumors that CFL just started, aparently. A thourough google search came up with not a single blog, article, or even comment on an article accusing Jensen of cheating, or any DQs or calls for a DQ. But hey, baseless defamation of character is cheap.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
Most of the people who complain about the fact that there are cheaters in the HoF voted for Jensen, so it seems unlikely that there is any basis to such rumors.  The Player's Committee is a joke.  Its role is apparently to veto players just barely elected by the Selection Committee.  Personally, I'd prefer something closer to the baseball system where responsible voters have a lot of votes and only use them for people who they think really deserve to make the Hall of Fame, rather than this system where everyone votes for who they think the five best players are from the list of candidates and then we see if any of them are enough better than the other candidates to get in.
I guess this doesn't come as a surprise, but it looks like a lot of the players were probably gaming their votes?  It seems unlikely that 29% actually believed that Paulo didn't deserve to be in the top five candidates for the Hall of Fame.

I'm probably playing with fire by saying this, but rumor has it that there are regional voting blocks.  Specifically, Japanese players make a point to fill their ballots with other Japanese players.  (Not entirely unlike how New Yorkers were working to get Steve OMS in for years.)

My point being not that anyone doesn't deserve their votes, but that if enough people do this then the total inherently becomes more diversified.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I totally agree, Amarsir. I think it can be an unfortunate situation, not only for national or regional voting blocks, but team blocks as well. You have these huge teams under sponsorship, that could comprise a third of the players' vote. Are all of these players infinitely better than me? Sure, many of them probably deserve to get in. But, if they get in for merely being under the C-F or SC flag, then that just makes the whole thing a travesty.