Help me with Cleric and Dark sun 4.0

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I know that "since" there are no god on athas (which always have been the case), in 4e there should be no way to have a cleric in DS (in theory).

What would you use in darksun to replace the cleric?
Is there an "official" replacement for them?
What is the healing class in DS4?
Would there be any trouble doing a cleric with the elemental priest theme (without worring about the god behind the class)?

Thanks! 
The Siltskimmer Page - www.siltskimmer.org
There are no clerics in Dark Sun at all by the book. You still have Warlords, Bards, Shamans, Sentinel Druids, Ardents, Artificiers as options for healing since all are Leader classes.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
What does replace the elemental (para-elemental) clerics (which are a big part of the setting btw)?
Really nothing replaces the elemental and paraelemental clerics of the first setting, or the fact that Templars used to be a "Divine" class as well in the original setting.  The elemental priest theme is pretty much it in terms of a replacement, and i would simply flavor the text of the powers to suit the chosen elemental of the priest.  You could also use a primal class and re-flavor the text of powers to make things more 'elemental".

Also, really nothing is stopping you from just using a cleric in your campaign if you are the DM and want it, or your DM allows it.  Again, re-flavor the text and maybe change some of the appropriate damage sources..... 
There are also elemental themes in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, though they aren't very good on the whole ... their attacks don't scale right.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I will have to do some reading then. You know, I've been a Darksun GM for soooooo long (2e, 3.5e athas.org) and now I get to be the player, but in 4e. BUT I always wanted to play a Water cleric (what a disapointment to see there was no more cleric!).

If anybody have an idea for a good build for such a replacement, don't hesitate.

Thanks. 
I would choose a Warlord or Ardent or Shaman (as a leader class), if shaman choose the animist shaman option, and choose the elemental priest theme for whichever base class you picked.  Then talk to your DM about "re-skinning" some of your power sources to be Divine or Primal, and involve Water instead.  I think your roleplaying will make a big difference in swaying your DM. 
Try using a Shaman with an elemental priest theme. This allows you to summon your spirit companion (who you can describe as a water elemental) and a spirit of Athas (who could be a rain storm). The shaman is a nature priest so apart from the label, it's what you're looking for.

For what it's worth I DM a longstanding 3e DS campaign and the player who played the water priest in that campaign was similarly upset with the 4e lack of an official cleric when we did playtesting for "Beneath the Dust". He renamed his 3e character (Ishkosh) to express his shock at the changes (Omigosh).

Here's a link to a character builder file for that character -- it's not particularly optimized but may give you ideas (assuming you have access to the character builder). I can also send you a .pdf of the character sheet if that's helpful.
www.jaredespley.org/DnD/Dust/index.htm

Edit: Corrected that I meant to say the character is *not* particularly optimized.
My Dark Sun adventures published in Dungeon magazine.
What does replace the elemental (para-elemental) clerics (which are a big part of the setting btw)?

I'd go with sorcerer.

I think that a lot of the stuff in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos (themes, but also feats etc.) really can fill in the holes if you want to be a classic elemental priest. Play a druid or sorcerer or one of the other classes mentioned above and take one of the water-based Themes and it will be very clear that you're a water priest.
One of my players reskinned warlock as a sand cleric.
You should simply figure out what you want to play, look for the class that has the most similar abilities and then reskinned it.
I think that a lot of the stuff in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos (themes, but also feats etc.) really can fill in the holes if you want to be a classic elemental priest. Play a druid or sorcerer or one of the other classes mentioned above and take one of the water-based Themes and it will be very clear that you're a water priest.

Yep. An animist shaman with the watershaper theme from HotEC would be my choice as the water priest. Take powers like Condensation and Spirit of the Healing Flood.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I'd go with sorcerer.

A sun cleric could be a cleric who takes only powers with radiant keyword (just replace divine by primal as the keyword of his powers).

But for classic elemental clerics, I use the shaman class with the elemental priest theme.

I designed an earth cleric elemental theme (rather build in fact) some time ago that could be used in Dark Sun. You can find it here.
I have a halfling water cleric in my 4th ed group. Hes a shaman with the elemental priest theme and pretty happy with how it turned out.