Map packs vs Dungeon tiles

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am I alone in this or does anyone else strongly prefer the map pack line of products to the dungeon tiles line?

I find that in-game, organizing and laying out dungeon tiles is a  major hassel. Digging through a box of tiles, trying to keep players from knocking them around the table, et cetera.

On the other hand, preprinted maps that I can toss down and run with are easy to use, attractive, and quick.

My wish is for a line of somewhat more generic map pack products. I like what they've released so far, but the idea for me would be to have maps generic enough to be used again and again. I could see some versatile wilderness maps like "forest clearing", "mountain pass", and "river ford" - nothing too fancy with molten lava and evil shrines or whatever, just simple maps that can be used for random encounters and so forth.

I prefer the pre-printed maps, but I think tiles are still fine for individual set pieces and adding a third dimension to a map..
I am a tile addict and I hate maps. They are never whar I want so I end up slapping tiles over them. What I want Wizards to release is a dungeon tile organizer.
Duneon Tiles are nice for customizing. You build your own space. But I love maps for places that are common that you might use again and again: taverns, churches, graveyards, the road in the wilderness, etc. I also quite like taking markers to an easel pad and making my own maps.
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

I really don't like these map packs and personally find them useless. 

For me there are very few locations that are fought at more than once and thus having exactly the same location everytime I pull out this map is useless. With tiles you can build a new location every time you use them.

Thus while I find maps (such as the ones GF9 makes) pretty to look at, I would never buy any of them. Yeah their inn map looks nice, but my players are not likely to always fight at the very same inn. I'd rather have inn dungeon tiles so that each inn looks different from the others

I use a healthy mix of both maps a tiles... maps when I don't have an encounter planned out, tiles when I do.... so my big set pieces are all tiles, and randon road side fights are maps...
The Map line though I hate, because I have all but 1 map in the last pack put out, and for 12$ Ill just wait and buy the next tile pack, which from the preview here its going to be great!

Both are hard to work with... maps are hard to look though when folded, I can never remember whats on the other side, and tiles can both take up a lot of space and be finiky to get just right...
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
I love them both.  Poster maps are insanely useful.  I also love the dungeon tiles (though the wilderness/outdoor ones seem to be a lot harder to build with/create interesting features).

Anybody have any tips on building cool stuff with Icewind Dale?
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Am I alone in this or does anyone else strongly prefer the map pack line of products to the dungeon tiles line?

I find that in-game, organizing and laying out dungeon tiles is a  major hassel. Digging through a box of tiles, trying to keep players from knocking them around the table, et cetera.

On the other hand, preprinted maps that I can toss down and run with are easy to use, attractive, and quick.

My wish is for a line of somewhat more generic map pack products. I like what they've released so far, but the idea for me would be to have maps generic enough to be used again and again. I could see some versatile wilderness maps like "forest clearing", "mountain pass", and "river ford" - nothing too fancy with molten lava and evil shrines or whatever, just simple maps that can be used for random encounters and so forth.

i use a mix of map pack and tiles-however i prefer the tiles. As part of my DM prep i pull out all of the tiles i know i will need and use the maps for when the players either complete my planned session encounters early or go a different way. the tiles are so versi-tile that i can still use the tiles i pulled during the adventure prep. i like the maps for quick encounters.
Maps are great because they are wondrously detailed and beautiful. But they can only be used so many times before the novelty wears of and you realize, as a player, you are fighting on the same map over and over again.

Tiles are wondrously customizable. You can take the same pieces and create a thousand adventure locations. However, to attain that customizability, they are forced to be a bit more generic than a map.

Personally, I would love it if WotC made Tiles AND Maps. I like using both in my campaigns. Maps are great for locations your PCs will visit often - the village, the inn, the same stretch of road, the inner sanctum of Mt. Doom that the PCs are using as their lair now, etc. Tiles are great for making new locations, places they will only go to once or twice - room 22 of the dungeon, the streets of a new town, a random meadow in the forest, etc.

Having said all that, nothing beats a good old fashioned wet/dry erase board. Simple and elegant.
I love maps for places that are common that you might use again and again: taverns, churches, graveyards, the road in the wilderness, etc.

Fo rme, that's the worst use of maps.  Because unless it's the same tavern, suddenly every tavern looks alike.

A map is ueful is the players have a base of operations that will be used over and over.  The tavern is useful if the players always stay at the same in.

But I don't want the Green Griffon Tavern to look the same as the Quenched Wench Alehouse. 

The only use of maps for me is for an encounter I hadn't anticipated and need to whip up quick. But since I'll only ever use that map once, it's not worth the money.  I'll just scrawl a quick map on my Chessex board instead.
I love maps for places that are common that you might use again and again: taverns, churches, graveyards, the road in the wilderness, etc.

Fo rme, that's the worst use of maps.  Because unless it's the same tavern, suddenly every tavern looks alike.

A map is ueful is the players have a base of operations that will be used over and over.  The tavern is useful if the players always stay at the same in.

But I don't want the Green Griffon Tavern to look the same as the Quenched Wench Alehouse. 

The only use of maps for me is for an encounter I hadn't anticipated and need to whip up quick. But since I'll only ever use that map once, it's not worth the money.  I'll just scrawl a quick map on my Chessex board instead.

For my example, I'm going to reference some of the GaleForce9 maps:
www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2...
Which are D&D maps from other products made vinyl so you can wet erase all over them.

I'm personally fond of:
www.flamesofwar.com/DesktopModules/Store...

The strength of each is they are reusable. Yes, every inn looks kinda the same, but how much variety is there in inns? And inns are sledom a place for encounters in back-to-back sessions so it's less noticable.
But you always need a tavern eventually. 

The road is handy as well, for any wilderness fight. Just flip it around to get some extra use or compliment with drawn terrain. Add trees from a Michaels craft store. Or other features to draw attention (including tiles)
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

Yes, every inn looks kinda the same, but how much variety is there in inns?

See, I love making my inns and taverns unique.  There's a huge variety.  Every tavern should tell a story and that's reflected in its map.  If the tavern a trader's post sitting at a remote crossroads?  Is it in the center of a village designed to be where the powers that be make backroom deals ('cause then you should have a back room).  Is it a shady dockside dive where every broken chair leg has a spot of blood on it? 

Reusing a tavern map is like using the same dungeon map over and over, as far as I'm concerned.
I find uses for both, maps tend to show up for big boss battles, tiles tend to show up for less important areas, sometimes I combine the two.
does anyone else strongly prefer the map pack line of products to the dungeon tiles line?

I definitely do. I have lots of both, and I almost always use the maps rather than the tiles. Tiles are a complete pain for me to use (except for the large, 8 x 8 ones).

I primarily use a wet erase battlemap, but both posters and tiles make a regular appearance in my games. I think, however, that castle grimstead will be the last tile pack I buy. I have two copies of most tile sets released which covers pretty much every conceivable situation. Then there's the other issue: storage. Storing all of these tiles is taking up a huge amount of my gaming closet. Posters are a lot easier to store so I'll continue to buy the map packs.
If I were running more games from my house, I'd have an easier time using the Dungeon Tiles. I have a lot of them, but I've been getting more use from WotC's map packs and Paizo's maps (and mini-map tiles) for running at other peoples' houses and at game stores. I tend to use the Dungeon Tiles to make small alterations on those maps, such as covering up the oasis in a desert map with more sand and rocks.
Tiles suck look at my campaign i have going, i have no where to put it but the floor and thats a big mistake its either my dog or my brother who keeps coming in and runing around destroying my crap. One day i'm going to ---------, and see how he likes it. Woah where were we? Yea pictures below of my tile campaign i'd like maps really in the future, hoping theres some that can connect and make a map tile effect.

Just a spur of a thought this moment, what if they had somekinda interlocking clips on the tiles, it would be alot better or magnitizing them so they stick together on the sides.

EDIT: Camera's not charged will upload a picture if someone reminds me.

A few months ago a guy came to me who wanted to make copper miniatures. I said it wouldn't work. But it did and they look cool, pm for pictures. Live in the United States?
Speaking about maps found this and its intersting

Link (EBAY)

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/iSkFgl.png)
A few months ago a guy came to me who wanted to make copper miniatures. I said it wouldn't work. But it did and they look cool, pm for pictures. Live in the United States?
I bought the city, dungeon and forrest esential map tiles boxes. The longer time I've had to prepare the session, the more likely I will be using the tiles. I also use alot of maps. Especially the Gamemastery Flip-Mats since they can be drawn on. Also, I got about 20 different maps, with reasonable variaety, and that also helps out alot. For everything else, I got a blank batlematt and thats it.

Oh I once used flip over sheets that had a 10" grid on it, with a dotted 5" grid. worked wonders as well, just not that wallet/eco friendly. Allowed me to draw up maps up front.