Monster themes

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. I love the three adventure system board games.
I've never tried the actual Dungeons and Dragons game, though, so I have a quick question about the monsters in the three sets.
I'd like to mix and match some of the monsters between the three sets for a little more variety, but I still want them to fit thematically. For example, the Kobolds from Castle Ravenloft could go with Wrath of Ashardalon, too, since there's a Kobold clan over there.
What other monsters can cross over between games? Like, are goblins common enough to appear in a haunted castle, a dungeon below a volcano, and the Underdark?
Thanks for taking a minute to answer what I'm sure is an odd sounding question.
The beauty of Dungeons and Dragons is that you can do whatever you want.  Your goblins could inhabit the secret passages of the castle, while the kobolds can dwell somewhere else.  You can use your imagination and have whatever kind of game you want.

My blog has a lot of the ideas that I use for games.  It's in my sig. 
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Note that you can add to your sets with the new Dungeon Command Boxes, I added the Sting of Lolth Adventure System to my Castle Ravenloft and fluffed out a rival band of Drow Adventurers seeking treasure. Orcs, Goblins, and Undead are going to be released in the coming months all of which can be added to any of the Adventure Systems pretty easily, however I think I will definitely be replacing all my kobolds of Castle Ravenloft with creatures from the Undead box since I like keeping Ravenloft strictly Gothic.
Cool, thanks.
I didn't know there would be an orc set. That sounds like a good fit for Wrath of Ashardalon.
The goblins could be added to Legend of Drizzt, but could a goblin faction be added to Wrath of Ashardalon to go along with the orcs, duergers and kolbolds? Would that fit thematically?
Cool, thanks.
I didn't know there would be an orc set. That sounds like a good fit for Wrath of Ashardalon.
The goblins could be added to Legend of Drizzt, but could a goblin faction be added to Wrath of Ashardalon to go along with the orcs, duergers and kolbolds? Would that fit thematically?

*shrug* It's D&D. Everything fits.
Sign In to post comments