Duel Decks: Mirrodin vs. New Phyrexia

23 posts / 0 new
Last post

[deck=New Phyrexia]
Colors: Black and green
Mythic: Glissa, the Traitor
Rares: Dross Harvester, Gleancrawler, Greater Harvester, Beacon of Unrest, Deathrender
Strategy: Crush the opponent with an army of expendable minions and mighty predators.

1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Dross Harvester
1 Dross Scorpion
1 Entomber Exarch
1 Fume Spitter
1 Gleancrawler
1 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Golgari Thug
1 Greater Harvester
1 Myr Retriever
1 Perilous Myr
1 Skinrender
1 Viridian Emissary

1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Deathrender
1 Glissa's Scorn
1 Golgari Signet
1 Hissing Miasma
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Moldervine Cloak
1 Noxious Revival
1 Phyrexian Reclamation
1 Putrefy
1 Skeleton Shard
1 Spawning Pit
1 Vigor Mortis

2 Golgari Rot Farm
2 Phyrexia's Core
10 Swamp
10 Forest[/deck]

Decks presently under construction.

community.wizards.com/magicthegathering/...

not sure what you are trying to do here
proud member of the 2011 community team
Aw, that went on before I even started playing Magic. If I'd been a fan back then, I would have contributed.

Is this the right section for these kinds of topics? I've posted duel decks ideas in You Make the Card before but someone suggested that these belong in Future Set Speculation.

Future Set Speculation is either for spoilers or speculations on upcoming set

I think your thread should go to "casual play" below
proud member of the 2011 community team
I agree. Its "Speculation!" This is the forum for complete bs. We need to stop sh*tting on others for creating random junk from whole cloth.
A Future Duel Deck is something we dont know about yet. WOTC could do something like this someday. So lets talk about it.
All anyone ever talks about here is cards that we 99% know for a fact are going to exist. Very soon. Thats barely Future and not Speculation, at all.

EDIT: Lets pick a few better cards, though.
Faction v Faction and Character v Character duel decks are much more closely tied to a very precise flavor than tribe v tribe ones are.

A Mirran vs Phyrexian Duel Deck would not have so many cards that explicitly refer to locations and persons not on Mirrodin.
Spoiler: I know how this battle ends.
Let the man (or woman or boy or girl or robot or alien or whatever) have their fun.  Yes, that sounds weird coming from someone who posted a thread calling for everyone to ignore another poster.  I'm bi-polar.  Sue me.  Or kill.  Just don't judge me, cuz you hate it when folks do that to you (you meaning everyone).

I created a pair of duel decks a while ago with a chess theme... two 40-card decks, one white, one black, with 16 creatures each (eight unique 1/1s in each color for the pawns, two knights, clerics and "castles", a legendary creature for the queens and a planeswalker for the kings) and  four other cards each that represented chess moves or board position(s) (like Bad Moon/Crusade, Arrest and Doom Blade, which I may replace with Murder for flavor reasons) and 20 lands. And I'm very proud of that creation.  But many others before me have made chess-themed decks.  Does that mean I shouldn't design my own (which, by the way, I personally feel are far superior to the ones I've seen)?  Of course not.

Lay off the mofo.  Let their creativity shine... 

I appreciate your support, but please refrain from referring to me as a "mofo". I'm rather close to my mother. And to answer the uncertainty about my identity, I am an adult male.

The chess-themed deck sounds interesting, I'll have to try one myself sometime.

EDIT: Lets pick a few better cards, though.

Yeah, the new Phyrexian deck should really use infect too.  It is a huge part of their idenity in the second Mirrodin block.

Funny story, I originally was going to use infect when I included the crusaders in the decklists, but I felt they gave the player too insurmountable an advantage since they had protection from both of the other deck's colors; whichever player played their crusader first would most likely win. (Why, oh why didn't they give the Phyrexian Crusader deathtouch instead?) As Jor Kadeen and Glissa were the mythics I chose to represent the decks (this wouldn't be the first time a rare was promoted to mythic for the sake of representing a duel deck), I decided to build the decks' strategies around their abilities.

Jor Kadeen favors an aggressive deck with lots of artifacts and Glissa likes artifact sacrifice, creature death, and graveyard shenanigans. Boros and Golgari were natural fits for their strategies, and I even considered using their champions as rares but decided against it since that would take away from the flavor too much. My reason for including so many non-Mirrodin cards is that, as far as I understand, duel decks are supposed to include cards from a variety of sets and blocks. And I simply also don't want to repeat too much of what's already been done with the starter and event decks.

If you think the decks need more flavorful cards, though, I'm open to suggestions. I'm guessing more Mirrodin and Scars block cards?

How does one respond to this post, though?

If I give you suggestion on how to improve it, then this post belongs in YMtC.
If I tell you that Boros Recruit will not be in this Duel Deck, then this fits into FSS.

Cool decks anyway. Would pick it up in an instant if it was ever printed. 
Aside from flavor, are there any other reasons why he wouldn't be in there? I just chose some Boros cards because they fit the theme of the deck I was constructing, aggressive creatures. In particular, the Boros Garrison and Signet would help the deck get the colors it needs. The same goes for Golgari and the graveyard-focused New Phyrexia Deck. At any rate, I want to refine the theme and flavor of the decks. Here's new decklists in progress:

[deck=New Phyrexia]
1 Blight Mamba
1 Blightwidow
1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Core Prowler
1 Corpse Cur
1 Dross Scorpion
1 Entomber Exarch
1 Gleancrawler
1 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Ichorclaw Myr
1 Myr Sire
1 Painsmith
1 Phyrexian Crusader
1 Plague Stinger
1 Rot Wolf
1 Skinrender
1 Viridian Emissary

1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Glissa's Scorn
1 Grafted Exoskeleton
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 Noxious Revival
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Phyrexian Reclamation
1 Plague Boiler
1 Putrefy
1 Skeleton Shard
1 Throne of Geth

9 Forest
2 Phyrexia's Core
9 Swamp
2 Tree of Tales
2 Vault of Whispers
[/deck]

It's how the non-infect creatures support the infect creatures. Deathtouch compliments infect rather well, hence Painsmith, and artifact spells will see a lot of use thanks to recursion. Myr Sire is prime for chump blocking and saccing, and once you've gotten a poison counter on your opponent Dross Scorpion, Skeleton Shard, and Throne of Geth make for a brutal proliferate combo.

But yeah, I'm not sure if the Phyrexia deck should have infect since that limits the pool of cards considerably; duel decks are supposed to showcase cards from a wide variety of sets and blocks, which is why I had Boros and Golgari cards in there before. On the other hand, infect and proliferate are notable Phyrexian mechanics in contrast to the Mirrans' battle cry and metalcraft. In addition, I wasn't sure if the Crusaders were too strong for the decks or not since only artifact creatures could block them. An important part of duel deck design is that both decks are fun to play with a lot of synergistic cards and enough answers to the other deck's cards to give both decks a fighting chance.

I've posted a topic like this before in the You Make the Card section, and someone brought up Phyrexia vs. the Coalition; I'm wondering if this could serve as a sequel of sorts, given Mirrodin's fascination with all five colors.

Deathtouch might complement infect in that one says "don't block" and the other says "you have to block".

But that's more meta than actually something players might think about.

Though +2/+0 works with it.

Also, Myr Sire and Throne of Geth are hilarious together. Yeah, you die at 7 poison now.

@Skullfer: I like sliths and other "When ~ deals combat damage to a player..." abilities for pawns, seeing as Whirling Dervish was inspired by the pawn in chess. (Jacques le Vert is the only othe rremnant of that cycle.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
There's also the fact that you're trying to land a hit on the other player with your creatures. Deathtouch removes all but indestructible blockers and for those infect will still work.

Of course, combining graveyard shenanigans with poison counters and proliferate ought to be the real trick of the deck. Core Prowler, Plaguemaw Beast, and Throne of Geth would form a solid foundation for such a strategy. Once you get at least one poison counter on your opponent, all you need to do is keep sac-ing your creatures to proliferate, putting your opponent on a short clock.

Then again, I suppose Wizards would want to shoot for a simple aggressive strategy, in which case tramplers and might spells would be a good idea. The deck should still make use of graveyard recursion to keep its troops coming back for more.

As I said, using Painsmith in an infect deck works as a "punisher". Also, Infiltration Lens plays a similar role in infect.

Also, Magnify might be fun in an infect deck, just for "You're already dead." flavor.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Mirrans are while Phyrexians are

Mirran Deck:

Level 4s(Mythic):

Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer

Level 3s(Rares):

Mirran Crusader
Etched Champion
Kudoltha Pheonix
Prototype Portal
Leonin Abunas
Gilded Lotus
Solemn Simulacrum

More coming later. 

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Both make sense as
I'd be willing to try that, though something tells me the Mirran side will still have a greater R/W presence and the Phyrexians will focus more on black. Green should prove relevant to both sides.

If you had to choose to colors to focus on, red was the hero color of the block, (They had the fewest infect guys. They had the most Battle Cry. They had the native son fighting the good fight. The redrexians were plagued by their consciences.) and black is Phyrexia's native color.
Sign In to post comments