2012 YMtC World Championship! {FINALS!}

496 posts / 0 new
Last post
Champs Banner
Hi all,

Welcome to the finals of the 2012 YMtC World Championships!

The first point of business is to welcome our finalists and have them check into this tickertape parade!

In alphabetical order, our contestants...

Representing the United States of America...USA!

a l t i m i s !

Representing Algeria...Algeria!

c a t o w n e r !

Representing Singapore...

Singapore
c h i n k e e y o n g!

Representing Italy...

Singapore
D e g a u s s !

F r e y j a n n !

i a m a j e l l y d o n u t !

Representing Norway...USA!

M o w n !

R u s h  C l a s i c !

Assisting myself (AUS) in this years championship judging are Purple Shrimp (AUS) and razorborne (USA)!
Current Standings:

PWLDPoints
Mown33300
Rush33299
CKY321336
Freyjann321277
jelly312292
degauss312286
altimis33203
catowner88
Stuff:

The finals are round robin. You win against the other players, you rank higher on the table. Total number of points will be tracked for tiebreakers. At the end of the round robin section, the top four will hit the semis, and on to the final!

Each round you will be scored out of 50, with 25 for mechanics and balance, and 25 for flavour and concept. As this is the finals of a global tournament, failure to meet criteria will result in a DQ for that round - as loss and a zero score.

Round 1!

altimis vs Rush

catowner vs Mown

CKY vs jelly

degauss vs freyjann

M13 is upon us! The return of exalted was a welcome look for me. Especially in black. While it seemed a little odd at first (Planar Chaos anyone?) even the name of the mechanic makes more sense in black. So your task for this round?
Make a card with an existing mechanic. That card may not share a colour with any card currently in print with that mechanic. (Edit: for the purposes of this round, colorless cards count as a color - so no, you can't just make any artifact creature you want )
Grades will look at execution and selection with a strong emphasis (mechanical and flavourful) on the colour pie. In addition, to avoid confusion please specify the mechanic you are using if you use more than one.

Round will be open for 5 days.
What defines mechanic exactly?
For example... is the "werewolf mechanic" considered a mechanic? And I'm assuming non-evergreen keywords are acceptable, considering you used exalted?

Hedron Herder --
Creature - Eldrazi Beast (R)

Annihilator 1 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices a permanent.)
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, Hedron Herder gets +X/+X until the end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
As long as Hedron Herder's toughness is 3 or less, it has hexproof.

Infamous, it wanders the town unperturbed, searching for the next victim.
1 / 1

Ideas:

Gravestorm:

Circle of Life --
Instant (R)

When you cast Circle of Life, you get an emblem with "Saproling creatures you control have 'Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.'"
Put two 1/1 green Saproling tokens onto the battlefield.
Gravestorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

The world can be a funny thing. To destroy really means to start anew.

Annihilator:

Hedron Herder --

Annihilator 1 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices a permanent.)
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, Hedron Herder gets +X/+X until the end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.

1 / 1

Phantom:

Phantom Maarko --
Creature - Dragon Spirt (R)

Flying, haste
Phantom Maarko enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Phantom Maarko, prevent that damage. Remove a +1/+1 counter from Phantom Maarko.

0 / 0

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Assisting myself (AUS) in this years championship judging are Purple Shrimp (AUS) and razorborne (USA)!

i demand a flag

For example... is the "werewolf mechanic" considered a mechanic? And I'm assuming non-evergreen keywords are acceptable, considering you used exalted?

Placeholder

anything under section 702 of the comprehensive rules (and probably also ability words and keyword actions) should be fine
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

i demand a flag

I hear you're quite the artist.

Placeholder

anything under section 702 of the comprehensive rules (and probably also ability words and keyword actions) should be fine

Pretty much what Shrimp said. I would say the werewolf mechanic is DFC's though, and the werewolf bit is just the trigger. And DFC's we're in all colours, so you couldn't use those.

And it would be a nigh impossible (and boring) task if I didn't allow non-evergreen keywords, so they are clearly in.
i demand a flag

I hear you're quite the artist.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/nwRPa.jpg)

I took some artistic license with the face, but that really should have been on the flag from the get-go
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Only 5 points on the star?
You've lost it man. An amazing career has ended. I'll fly that flag at half mast from today.

Or maybe we just cede Tasmania and round down. Yeah, that works. 
I assume I can't make a modular artifact creature even if the criteria technically allows it?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Scent of Prey

Tribal Sorcery – Wolf (R)

Prowl
Put four 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Fear is the dinner-bell that calls Kessig's denizens out to feast.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

From the wording of the criteria, colorless sounds like the way to go. I mean, it works for every mechanic ever.
Mechanic being used: SUNBURST

The card:

Sol-Drenched Blossom  
Creature - Plant (R)
Defender, Sunburst
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Put a 0/1 green Insect creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Its nectar becomes increasingly abundant as it takes in the warm rays, tempting the bees to feast.
0/0

Hapless Savant -
Creature - Human Wizard
Hellbent - : Discard a card. Draw a card instead if you have no cards in hand.
"Sifting success out of failure every time... Talentless hacks! All they do is get lucky! I'll show them true research! I'll show them true achievement!"
-Salvage from the Icard estate fire

1/1

There was a difficult choice to make between creature and sorcery. Ultimately, I felt the sorcery was too generic and too swingy in terms of power. However, I liked the sorcery's flavor quite a bit better. As for the creature, "artificer" was the initial creature type, but I felt it translated poorly.

The formating of the card is based on personal taste. Hellbent was a largely (imo) undeveloped mechanic and this effect is one there is no comparative chassis for. The functionality of the card should remain unchanged no matter the format used.

p.s. I am well aware that the word "hapless" has already been used on a card. I am quite upset about it and trying to shun the card from my mind. The word fits just too good to change.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
How long do we have? I have a basic submission for right now, but have to go to work.
Will I still be able to edit this, say, in ten hours?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Oh you guys...

Yes, colorless is a pseudo-color in this case. By all means put Modular on a 5 color creature, but not another colorless one.

Oh and yes, each round will be open for 5 days, so I'll just be adding that information into the criteria post.
Mistaken Demon
Creature - Demon
Phasing, rampage 6, banding, fear, shroud, swamphome, shadow
*facepalm*
6/6

I'll think of something even better! 
I apologize for asking questions, but Assemble & Contraption isn't present in 702. I'm assuming that I will not be allowed to use it then?

I would like to use it, but if it's not allowed I will have a back up in place.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I apologize for asking questions, but Assemble & Contraption isn't present in 702. I'm assuming that I will not be allowed to use it then?

I would like to use it, but if it's not allowed I will have a back up in place.

Questions are fine. I'd rather people ask questions than ragequit if they get a game loss.

I would say that if you can't actually demonstrate what the mechanic does, then find something else. Steamflogger Boss doesn't actually do anything, and Assemble and Contraption are just random words unless they actually write rules to go with them.

But I doubt that will ever happen.

You are more than welcome to use it, but you'd better have a very good reason.
Breath of Muraganda
Creature - Elemental

When you cast §, untap up to seven lands.
§'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of untapped lands you control.
Breath in, a forest grows. Breath out, a forest withers
*/*

I tried to fix the mechanic, since it has been deemed as one of the most broken mechanics ever printed. I hope you don't mind
How much time do we have left? Over a day correct? I just realized a glaring flaw in my design *sigh*
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Okay, I must ask, what is the definition of a "mechanic"?

Yxoque wrote:

The original intent was a keyword mechanic, but that spun out to include ability words etc. However, if you can identify a theme that is present on more than me card, (as Degauss) has, I can be pretty flexible here.
Oh, and by my reckoning there's about 36 hours left here.
Still waiting on about half with 24 hours left.

Oh - I will be closing these on time. Get those entries in! 
Still waiting on about half with 24 hours left.

Oh - I will be closing these on time. Get those entries in! 

!

You can't just give us the weekend! I'm a server at a restaurant. I work full-time weekends and have almost no time to devote to creating a card. I'll have to whip one hunk of crap up when I get home tonight.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
?

But this has been open for 5 days? 

I don't really want to go ahead without having an entry from everyone, but last year that really screwed me over.

As a quick poll, would people prefer the rounds be open for 5 or 7 days? 
I just need flavor text, I don't care.
I mean, I'm actually designing top-down for once, so I suppose that's pretty relevant, but I'm rather confident.

Yxoque wrote:

Ydessa, Pearl Idol
Legendary Artifact
Haunt
Creatures get -1/-0.
The creature haunted by ~ gets +1/+0 and attacks each turn if able.
Most people see nothing but ruins, but he will never forget battles, the bloodshed, and her divine statue amidst all chaos.

stuff

My god I hate designing top down. Anyway, few things to note:
No, haunt providing a static ability isn't innovative, I'm not pretending it is.
Guy gets mad that pretty statue is destroyed.
Artifact primarily hates on dudes, which I'd argue is majorly a RGW thing, the three colors with artifact destruction.
Legendary because stacking is lame and forced haunt trigger if no other way.

Yxoque wrote:

Drifter in the Sands
Creature - Viashino Ninja
Ninjutsu (Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
At the beginning of your end step, you may return Drifter in the Sands to your hand. If you do, it deals 1 damage to target player for each creature that left the battlefield this turn.
Those who stalk in the shadows lurk with practiced patience. Those who stalk in the sands have no such need.
4/2

?

I don't really want to go ahead without having an entry from everyone, but last year that really screwed me over.

5. 7 is glacially slow. I had plenty of opportunities to submit; I'm just a procrastinator.
5. 7 is glacially slow. I had plenty of opportunities to submit; I'm just a procrastinator.

indeed. no matter how long you make the deadline there will always be those who wait until half an hour before it to get started. it's just the way these things work.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Realistically, I'm fine with five. I simply know what the allotted amount of time was. I don't know whether I didn't look hard enough or if you edited in the deadline, but I acted under the assumption of a week. I can create a card during my off hours if need be, but given the leeway to do so, I was planning on dedicating my day-off to creating the card.

I'll be ready for this deadline and the coming ones. My initial reaction was one of haste and only partially representative of my current state and feelings.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Realistically, I'm fine with five. I simply know what the allotted amount of time was. I don't know whether I didn't look hard enough or if you edited in the deadline, but I acted under the assumption of a week. I can create a card during my off hours if need be, but given the leeway to do so, I was planning on dedicating my day-off to creating the card.

I'll be ready for this deadline and the coming ones. My initial reaction was one of haste and only partially representative of my current state and feelings.

it takes you a whole day?

it takes you a whole day?

Yes. That's how I create awesome flavor text and get bitches.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
?

I think five is fine... I'm fine with extending this round if need be (I don't think people knew the round length in the beginning), but we should stick to five for future rounds.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I am finished with my card. ♥
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Blurgh... I can't choose a design. I keep changing my mind...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Round closed! Judges go! (Yes, this one's a template).
Pairings
Pair 1

Hedron Herder --

1 / 1

Drifter in the Sands
Ninjutsu (Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
At the beginning of your end step, you may return Drifter in the Sands to your hand. If you do, it deals 1 damage to target player for each creature that left the battlefield this turn.
Those who stalk in the shadows lurk with practiced patience. Those who stalk in the sands have no such need.
4/2

Pair 2
Dreadfiend 
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have intimidate.
2/2
When Avacyn returned, some demons chose cooperation over annihilation.

Ydessa, Pearl Idol
Legendary Artifact
Haunt
Creatures get -1/-0.
Most people see nothing but ruins, but he will never forget battles, the bloodshed, and her divine statue amidst all chaos.

stuff

No, haunt providing a static ability isn't innovative, I'm not pretending it is.
Artifact primarily hates on dudes, which I'd argue is majorly a RGW thing, the three colors with artifact destruction.

Pair 3
Scent of Prey

Prowl

Hapless Savant -
Creature - Human Wizard
"Sifting success out of failure every time... Talentless hacks! All they do is get lucky! I'll show them true research! I'll show them true achievement!"

1/1

There was a difficult choice to make between creature and sorcery. Ultimately, I felt the sorcery was too generic and too swingy in terms of power. However, I liked the sorcery's flavor quite a bit better. As for the creature, "artificer" was the initial creature type, but I felt it translated poorly.

The formating of the card is based on personal taste. Hellbent was a largely (imo) undeveloped mechanic and this effect is one there is no comparative chassis for. The functionality of the card should remain unchanged no matter the format used.

p.s. I am well aware that the word "hapless" has already been used on a card. I am quite upset about it and trying to shun the card from my mind. The word fits just too good to change.

Pair 4
Breath of Muraganda
Creature - Elemental

§'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of untapped lands you control.
*/*

I tried to fix the mechanic, since it has been deemed as one of the most broken mechanics ever printed. I hope you don't mind

The card:

Sol-Drenched Blossom  
Creature - Plant (R)
Defender, Sunburst
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Put a 0/1 green Insect creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Its nectar becomes increasingly abundant as it takes in the warm rays, tempting the bees to feast.
0/0

Grades complete!
Pair 1

Hedron Herder --

1 / 1

I don't get it. I mean sure, Eldrazi, Annihilator. Eldrazi are in green sure, and annihilator has only been in colourless so your fine there. But Annihilator was the 'we are giant dudes crushing you' mechanic, and this is on a 1/1? More type weirdness for me here as well, because Eldrazi were either MASSIVE, Drones or Spawn. Mixing them up seems really odd to me. Name and type fit alright, but the top half of the card doesn't fit particularly well with the bottom, and the bottom doesn't mesh real well with itself - the flavour text doesn't really seem to fit either the name or the effect.
Mechanically I'm not sure either. It's occasionally kind of powerful with hexproof and the ability to go just mana screw your opponent, but more often than not this is a 1/1 green Stone Rain that your opponent gets to choose the target of before it's blocked by a bear. A BEAR. And if that really causes you opponent a lot of problems (for whatever reason) they can sacrifice a Grey Ogre to make it vulnerable to removal. But if they've got an ogre, they'd just block it.
F&C: 10/25
M&B: 10/25
T: 20/50

Drifter in the Sands
4/2

Red ninja seems reasonable, although I do get why they made more sense as samurai. But the pair with Viashino I can get on board with I think, it makes it more about the whole than the inividual type. Flavour is very much I NEED NO SNEAK I AM FAST which is fine.
There's two things that strike me about the ability - the first being that it's a sweet pair between your mechanic and a classic bit of red. The second is that it explodes. The tempo hit seems necessary, because otherwise this just threatens stuff all day every day. "Oh hey you don't block my Raging Goblin? I axe you for 4, then end of turn add 2 to that, plus 1 for each creature that trades in combat, plus whatever you took in my swing." It ends games hard, and if it doesn't end it on the spot, you can still threaten four combat damage from any evasive creature. It's really cool, though it makes me wonder if the ninjutsu cost is a little low mana wise, even if you do need an unblocked attacker.
I still like it though.
F&C: 18/25
M&B: 18/25
T: 36/50

Pair 2
Dreadfiend 
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have intimidate.
2/2
When Avacyn returned, some demons chose cooperation over annihilation.

Hmm. A very odd choice from a colour perspective given that black is all about itself. Yes, the flavour does go a way towards explaining why black would do something like this (black is all about self preservation after all) but the fact remains that it's not a very black thing to do. I actually think if you wanted to use soulbond you could have used a parasitic relationship to do so and been more solidly in colour. The flavour does the explaining, but it's the only thing the flavour does for me. A 2/2 demon is kind of puny too (though again, it does hint towards why.) This one confuses me some.
I like the cost and the ability combination - being able to get in there with an evasive big guy is a good ability, and links well to the likes of Wingcrafter etc. It's straightforward but solid an in colour.
F&C: 15/25
M&B: 17/25
T: 32/50

Ydessa, Pearl Idol
Legendary Artifact
Haunt
Creatures get -1/-0.

stuff

If you hate designing top down, why did you do it? I mean, you know I like it, but still.
The haunt on this is really flavourful. The part I struggle with a little is the static ability active on the battlefield. It just seems a bit sucky for a Legendary Artifact. Use of Legendary is great mechanically and I agree with it, but it suffers from the 'Why is this legendary' problem nonetheless. Flavour suffers from the same problem - yes, it makes great flavourful sense that a dude (any dude I'll note) can be incensed by the destruction of the Idol, but I don't get a sense of why that Idol is important in the first place. Flavourfully a little weird that two of these annihilating each other possibly makes two of your opponents creatures really mad, but that's really a nitpick I found amusing.
Comparisons put this more or less on par with Weakstone / Cumberstone, except it doesn't stack because of legendary. Which makes it a lot more fun IMO. I like the use of the mechanic to represent a memory, that's really cool.
F&C: 17/25
M&B: 19/25
T: 36/50

Pair 3
Scent of Prey

Prowl

I nearly freaked out a bit because I thought that Prowl was Rogue specific, but I'm very happy to see that wasn't the case.
This is a great use of the mechanic, really it is. Even the name could have been made for green. A really good call out.
Power-wise I actually think since you've called out rare this could be pushed a bit more, given Howl of the Night Pack is a 7 mana sorcery that gives you up to 7 wolves this is more splashable, but normally half as effective, but that is assuming that you're not running a splashed Howl, were you certainly could run this. There's not a huge amount left to say about this except I really like the flavour and the execution.
F&C: 23/25
M&B: 17/25
T: 40/50

Hapless Savant -
Creature - Human Wizard

1/1

Isn't hellbent a weird fit for the colour that's best at keeping its hand full? I agree with everything you said about it being largely undeveloped, but I'm not sure I really 'get' this card.
Flavourfully it's cool and kinda funny. But it's a 3 mana 1/1 that throws cards away. Why couldn't it be a Merfolk Looter variant?? I feel that would have made a hell more sense. It's kind of Johnny, but without the zen of One With Nothing. It's not awful in that sense, in that you can still use it to dig two cards a turn if you draw a land and a spell each turn while in topdeck mode, but I cannot conceive of a situation where this would be alright. Maybe I don't get this card at all and it's actually brilliant, but I can't see it.
F&C: 16/25
M&B: 9/25
T: 25/50

Pair 4
Breath of Muraganda
Creature - Elemental

*/*

That is amazingly brave. I don't know exactly why you think you fixed it? You still need 7 lands as for Great Whale but in this case you get to untap as soon as you cast it - even landing a timely Mana Leak (or possibly a Rewind?) doesn't undo the damage. So yay, you kept the most broken part of the mechanic in!
In all honesty I don't think it's as much of a problem now, given that the problem lands really aren't printed like that anymore. But going into green you open up Fertile Ground and Overgrowth etc as ways to get way up there. I really like the mechanical link of the P/T to the untapped lands, I thought that was cool, and the flavour is elegant and understated but powerful. I think this is a great card without the free mechanic, and costed at, oh, three? It allows for a T4 play, and gives a turn for your opponent to find a way to deal before they have a real beatstick to deal with. Even then things like Dungrove Elder are competing for that slot. A great idea, but possibly a little wayward in the mechanic selection for me.
F&C: 19/25
M&B: 12/25
T: 29/50

The card:

Sol-Drenched Blossom  
Creature - Plant (R)
Defender, Sunburst

0/0

Nice choice! Really solidly in colour. The idea that more colours = more flowers = more bees is neat. I like the way these chain, and looks like a really good centrepiece to a G/X(/X/X/X) control deck. It's very efficient at what it does, and the option seems good as well. A late game blocker against a threat, as load of chump blockers or a swarm fog. This is very flexible, but is kept in check by its very nature to have more colours available to be most the efficient. I'm glad it has defender too, that's one thing Utopia Tree really needs IMO. The only part I'm not sure about is the fact is disapears when the last bee leaves, but that's tricky without getting into those silly negative powers and things. I really like this one overall.
F&C: 20/25
M&B: 22/25
T: 42/50
what? I have to grade? you did not tell me that when I signed up.

what? I have to grade? you did not tell me that when I signed up.

I'm afraid that is part of judging. Sad I know.
And my grades are up.
Sign In to post comments