so what do people do on Bant?

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
When they're not (very honorably, no doubt) sticking little bits of metal into each other? I'm genuinely curious. From what I can tell of the cards, they have orchards, and philosophical debates, and money, and temples with traps in them, which is nice, but it's all a bit obscure.

(If the Guide or novels give a canonical answer, that's cool, but feel free to make something up if you prefer.)

(Fun, if mean, game: do a Gatherer search for cards and count how many fit in flavorfully with what we have of the plane. Now try to do the same with .)
I'd go into lots of exciting details, but then I'd be bann't! ;)

(I should probably be exiled for that joke...)
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Mostly they work.
Seriously, depends on what caste we are discussing. The Mortar cast just plods on happy about their position in life that they don't have to have any lofty sights but dream of being a sigiled caste.

The sigiled (knights primiarly) basically have a regimented training life full of daily rituals and martial practice bouts.
The sighted... do... wizardy things. Who knows what wizards do regularly?

And last the blessed, which basically chill out, consider philosophy, have discussions about the best way to rule, and in general lounge around without a major care in the world.
And the Knight of the Reliquary travelled to every corner of Bant, scouring ruins, cataloging it's past, trying to find the missing Reliquary Tower, said to contain hunderds of powerful artifacts.

Everything so far has been what they did before the Conflux. I would imagine these days, a lot of time is now spent fighting the forces of Grixis, doing diplomacy with their Nayan allies, trying to incorporate into their society the 'leonin' nacatl who have moved from Naya to Bant, and possibly rebuilding the parts of Bant damaged by Esper and Grixis during the Conflux.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
There were also the Unbeholden (read; outlaws) who for the most part non-violently rebelled against the caste system by Robin Hooding.
There were a scant few unbeholden like Gwafa Hazid who were a bit meaner than most, but he's by far the exception and not the rule.

There was also the Order of the Skyward Eye who were agents of Bolas and mostly traveled around Bant spreading paranoia and propaganda about the impending Conflux to scare the people of Bant into an easily-aggitated state so they would be more prone to go to war with the other shards.
How is the economy organized? Are the castes more like varnas or estates or Platonic-Republican orders or what? How are households organized? How does species-caste-nation intersectionality work? What are these religions they care so much about? How do angels fit into the political structure? How have things changed in the past few centuries?
We know the economy was at least partly monetized, as Gwafa Hazid paid a LOT of people off.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I can answer a lot more of this when I get off work and can look at my Planeswalker guide, but I'll try to recall what I can.

As Keeper mentioned, money is an object there. But of more importance to most people than money were sigils. Think kind of like merit badges but waaaaaay more important. And magical.

The caste levels basically determined what sort of careers you could persue. It was easy (though considered highly irregular) to lower one's caste, and significantly difficult to raise one's caste, though not impossible. Rafiq was the son of a Mortar-caste baker, and rose to the position of the most highly decorated Sigiled-caste to ever live.

When you are born, you become the caste of your parents. Marrying a lower-caste citizen demotes you to that caste.

Humans occur in all castes.
Rhox are highly spritual and the overwhelming majority of Rhox are Sighted caste, though they make for good Mortar-caste because of how damned strong they are.
Aven are usually fairly highly casted, in some part, because the humans of the plane rever them as being angel-like.
Angels are above the caste system, but do have their own hierarchy.

Angels don't tell the citizens what to do, but act as sort of a conscience of sorts. A race of Jiminy Crickets if you will. The exception being times of war, when they mess **** up with the rest of Bant.

The most significant thing to 'change' about Bant since the split was that many of the stories of the war that split the plane became forgotten and relegated to legend. Scary stories you tell your kids to make them brush their teeth and eat their vegetables. After seeing Malfegor and the forces of Grixis first hand, however, most Bantians readily admit the legends were true.

Now you've doomed them all, Uriel. You've made me start thinking about it, and the forums shall be burried in an avalanche of inane questions! MWAHAHAHA!
Do they still do the one guy per war fighting system or did Esper finally kill enough for them to decide to try something else?
Are they still at war with Esper?
If they previously had the champion system anyway, what did all their regular soldiers do?
If Grixis' landscape was litterally a thick blanket of corpses, and it borders Jund, how long until things from Jund litterally eat every recognizable thing on Grixis?
Did the Wild Nactal ever figure out they were stupid for listening to Marisi?
1. Do they still do the one guy per war fighting system or did Esper finally kill enough for them to decide to try something else?
2. If they previously had the champion system anyway, what did all their regular soldiers do?

1. They seem pragmatic enough.

2. Train, support the Champion, look pretty, shine armour...

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Do they still do the one guy per war fighting system

Yes, they're at war for real.
 or did Esper finally kill enough for them to decide to try something else?
Are they still at war with Esper?

They were never at war with Esper as a whole, it's Grixis that's the problem. They now have access to a whole world full of delicious living energy. Esper mostly minds its own business aside from the occassional raid into the other shards looking for Carmot (crystalized dragon blood necessary to forge new etherium).

If they previously had the champion system anyway, what did all their regular soldiers do?

Learn to fight for real. They're currently allied with Naya.

If Grixis' landscape was litterally a thick blanket of corpses, and it borders Jund, how long until things from Jund litterally eat every recognizable thing on Grixis?

1. I think you underestimate just how many things died on Grixis since the shards split. 2. Not just dead people. Rotting, mutated, cursed, diseased dead people. Not the most appetizing of meals.

Did the Wild Nactal ever figure out they were stupid for listening to Marisi?

He was outed as a fraud and killed by Zaliki, a shaman from Ajani's pride.
Shouldn't Grixis have a rather low corpse-count, comparatively speaking? I mean, [lim(t)=>∞]births/deaths = 1, and Grixis doesn't seem particularly fecund. Or are corpses a body's selfish attempt to hold on to its existence that wouldn't exist but for mana? Either way I don't see how to get to the thick blanket of corpses, unless decomposition is really slow and, like, the land has been shrinking.

Or is it like a genre thing where it's supposed to be all LAND OF CORPSES AND ELECTRIC GUITARS HAIL RAKDOS
Probably the later, to be honest.
That said, since Grixis now has access to life energy, why the hell do they bother with invasions? Are they just trying to be as stereotypically evil as possible?
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
@Thoctar: You sure they weren't at war? I seem to recall an army's worth of Esper mages killing a huge pile of Rafiq's subordinates/comrades. Seems like they'd be mad about that.
And I think you underestimate what a Putrid Leech is capable of eating. 
That said, since Grixis now has access to life energy, why the hell do they bother with invasions? Are they just trying to be as stereotypically evil as possible?

I'm not sure you understand the mindset of the average Grixian demon lord/necromancer/vampire king,etc.
There is no such thing as "enough".

Also, there's more people to kill, and thus, reanimate, beyond Grixis' borders.
@Thoctar: You sure they weren't at war? I seem to recall an army's worth of Esper mages killing a huge pile of Rafiq's subordinates/comrades. Seems like they'd be mad about that.

Perhaps, but not on the same scale that Grixis is.

And I think you underestimate what a Putrid Leech is capable of eating. 

To be fair, Putrid Leech is a zombie.
Vis is taken from living things, they don't have Vis solar panels and Vis wind farms, they have to actively seek it out.

Plus, you have to understand, the people we're talking about here have literally lived one and possibly more than one lifetime in one of the worst planes conceivable. Their entire mode of survival is Kill Rivals, Conquer Their Territory, Don't Get Killed Yourself. And now they have five times the territory to do that in. Of course they're going to expand outward, and expand outward to the single easiest target.

That target is Bant.

Also, please, please try to rein in your massive persecution complex about black and red. This is a children's card game. Chill out, Shamsiel.
Also, please, please try to rein in your massive persecution complex about black and red. This is a children's card game. Chill out, Shamsiel

Er, when did I turn into Bizarro!KnightofSerra?

I mean, sure, I like and heroes, but look at my sig.

That said, I am sad and disappointed that they made the shard the evil one. I mean, what's the point of giving individuality, freedom, pragmatism, ambition, shadows, moral relativism and the cutest animals (bats and vultures) if you're going to make it always PURE EVILL_E anyways?
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
That said, I am sad and disappointed that they made the shard the evil one. I mean, what's the point of giving individuality, freedom, pragmatism, ambition, shadows, moral relativism and the cutest animals (bats and vultures) if you're going to make it always PURE EVILL_E anyways?

In fairness, Grixis was just the most immediately resonant evil one.
Every other shard with black was its own unique form of a hellhole. Just go read Tezzeret's childhood and tell me the Esperians aren't somewhat even worse than Grixis.
On Jund, everything just wants to eat you.
And to be fair, Grixis wasn't always chaotic evil.

There were tons of rebels all over the place, they just didn't have a chance.
Every other shard with black was its own unique form of a hellhole. Just go read Tezzeret's childhood and tell me the Esperians aren't somewhat even worse than Grixis.

At the very least a society of heartless sociopaths is as much as , and the Seekers were aligned, so I guess I don't have much to complain when the Azorius colours make Esper a hellhole.

There were tons of rebels all over the place, they just didn't have a chance.

Probably all , though.

Not that I am complaing. I actually wonder how people would see mana in the absence of mana. Would mana be considered the "heavenly" colour, since it has fire and fire makes light?
At the very least a society of heartless sociopaths is as much as , and the Seekers were aligned, so I guess I don't have much to complain when the Azorius colours make Esper a hellhole.

Not that I am complaing. I actually wonder how people would see mana in the absence of mana. Would mana be considered the "heavenly" colour, since it has fire and fire makes light?

Mono certainly promotes clinical detachment, but normally that isn't such a problem unless ambition is put into the mix. Then you have clinical detachment that becomes a cold and ruthless desire to rise at the cost for others. itself isn't purely responsible of course, but neither is .

I also think that the seekers were only as interested in as they could abuse the system. The real faction on Esper were the Ethersworn instead of the Seekers.

I don't think would be the "heavenly" color as much as the color of survival. So really closer to green than white... like normal I suppose.
Actually, Eliza of the Keep was pretty cool, and she was a necropyromancer from Grixis. She wasn't evil from what we know of her. And she was actually alive, too.

Esper did attack Bant, but then Malfegor rampaged through most of it, decimating their armies. Then Test of Metal happened. Esper has internal problems to deal with. And carmot only seems to be found on Jund, so if they're raiding anywhere, it'll be Jund.

And from the other side, I don't think Bant has much time to devote to Esper what with being at war with Grixis. The frikkin Reliquary Tower is in Esper, and, according to M13, Bant hasn't done anything about it recently.
Actually, Eliza of the Keep was pretty cool, and she was a necropyromancer from Grixis. She wasn't evil from what we know of her. And she was actually alive, too.

I think you'd still have to qualify Eliza as evil.
Grixis Charm and the Encounter at the Necropolis don't paint her in a very positive light.
Following is a very long millitary analysis based on what I understand of Alara. It is liklyhighly missinformed, and I deffinatly took creative liscence where it amused me. You have my express permission to not read this on the basis that that sounds painfully uninteresting.

Now I don't expect this, but extrapolating from what I know to where Alara will be the next time we visit it should look something like this:
Jund: Absolutly devastated. Esper mage's responce to all threats being "nuke it" huge swaths of forrest are burt husks. Practically no one notices.
Naya: Slightly worse off for Esper's explorations, much more organized from it's time dealing with Bant. The Nactal are united again in common defense against Grixis, who will come after them if Bant falls. Their massive abundance of fruit and meat has kept Bant from colapsing due to the expenses of war.
Bant: A war-weary land with an almost entirely shell-shocked populace, the toll of the war with Grixis has broken the backs of many small nations, now picked over by bandits and the undead. The Nayan natives aren't sophisticated, but their aid has been invaluable in turning Bant's armies into something good for more than cerimony. A race is on to see if they can turn their superior forces into enough of an advantage to counter the nearly five to one advantage Grixis has before it's too late.
Esper: Winning at the conflux. Sangrite brought back from Jund pays for itself many times over, and while new etherium remains out of reach progress is being made daily. Bant doesn't dare encroach on their borders and they've all but set up highways through Grixis, which would itself be all but sterile of sentience without Bant and Naya's dead to resupply their forces. Only dragons and demons are capable of legitimate threats to their convoys, and few demons feel the gain is worth the cost. Dissension grows as sections of the populace migrate away or demand reform or even military aid to Bant. These subfactions have no real power now, but if they contenue to grow swift action will have to be taken to maintain order.
Grixis: Grixis is Grixis. If Bant gets much better at war the demon lords and necromancers will be SOL, same for if Esper decides they're causing too  many headaches. Sections of the dregscape are vanishing under fungus and simple but efficient animal life from Jund, a long term threat that will need to be adressed after the war. Some of the cleverer leaders have realized the war with Bant is costing so much that afterwards there'll be no way to stand a chance against Esper. A movement of unprecedented unity has begun to organize the most powerful of Grixis to crush Bant entirely, preventing the a slow grinding of resources that will leave them little better than they started and giving them the power to challenge Esper.
Really? Necropolis doesn't make her look evil to me. She has info on how to get into a human hermitage, full of vis. But she doesn't send in her forces to take it. Instead she takes a serious risk, uses the info to trick Malfegor and the Archdemon of Unx into attacking each other, takes over Unx, and then sets her sights on infiltrating Sedraxis. And then worries that if her plan went wrong it would result in useless deaths.

@Deaderpool: Esper is nowhere near that powerful. They got the worst of the Conflux wars, their leaders all went AWOL, and the Shards block showed us that etherium is weak to red and green magic.

I think you'd still have to qualify Eliza as evil.
Grixis Charm and the Encounter at the Necropolis don't paint her in a very positive light.

Charm sounds to me too over the top to be evil. More like something said by the Snark Knight. You fight your way to power on Grixis and see if you don't get a taste for dark humor.

Again, not perfectly informed. Where might this Encounter thing be found? 
I like the fridge horror inherent in Eliza's character: you eventually start to realize that Eliza is good by the standards of Grixis, because that's as good as anyone can be on Grixis.

I really, really do need to write that poem about Sedris...
What's this "Encounter at Necropolis" everyone's talking about?
Really? Necropolis doesn't make her look evil to me. She has info on how to get into a human hermitage, full of vis. But she doesn't send in her forces to take it. Instead she takes a serious risk, uses the info to trick Malfegor and the Archdemon of Unx into attacking each other, takes over Unx, and then sets her sights on infiltrating Sedraxis. And then worries that if her plan went wrong it would result in useless deaths.

Of course, you ignore the fact that she just doomed an entire city full of people so that she could bolster her own position...

Following is a very long millitary analysis based on what I understand of Alara. It is liklyhighly missinformed, and I deffinatly took creative liscence where it amused me. You have my express permission to not read this on the basis that that sounds painfully uninteresting.

Now I don't expect this, but extrapolating from what I know to where Alara will be the next time we visit it should look something like this:
Jund: Absolutly devastated. Esper mage's responce to all threats being "nuke it" huge swaths of forrest are burt husks. Practically no one notices.
Naya: Slightly worse off for Esper's explorations, much more organized from it's time dealing with Bant. The Nactal are united again in common defense against Grixis, who will come after them if Bant falls. Their massive abundance of fruit and meat has kept Bant from colapsing due to the expenses of war.
Bant: A war-weary land with an almost entirely shell-shocked populace, the toll of the war with Grixis has broken the backs of many small nations, now picked over by bandits and the undead. The Nayan natives aren't sophisticated, but their aid has been invaluable in turning Bant's armies into something good for more than cerimony. A race is on to see if they can turn their superior forces into enough of an advantage to counter the nearly five to one advantage Grixis has before it's too late.
Esper: Winning at the conflux. Sangrite brought back from Jund pays for itself many times over, and while new etherium remains out of reach progress is being made daily. Bant doesn't dare encroach on their borders and they've all but set up highways through Grixis, which would itself be all but sterile of sentience without Bant and Naya's dead to resupply their forces. Only dragons and demons are capable of legitimate threats to their convoys, and few demons feel the gain is worth the cost. Dissension grows as sections of the populace migrate away or demand reform or even military aid to Bant. These subfactions have no real power now, but if they contenue to grow swift action will have to be taken to maintain order.
Grixis: Grixis is Grixis. If Bant gets much better at war the demon lords and necromancers will be SOL, same for if Esper decides they're causing too  many headaches. Sections of the dregscape are vanishing under fungus and simple but efficient animal life from Jund, a long term threat that will need to be adressed after the war. Some of the cleverer leaders have realized the war with Bant is costing so much that afterwards there'll be no way to stand a chance against Esper. A movement of unprecedented unity has begun to organize the most powerful of Grixis to crush Bant entirely, preventing the a slow grinding of resources that will leave them little better than they started and giving them the power to challenge Esper.

Jund: There isn't any nuking Jund that they haven't already done to themselves. EVERYTHING is trying to eat you on Jund. Aside from that, Esper really didn't get that powerful, which will be covered below (as well as above) Jund is actually staging regular bombardments on Esper.
Naya: Allied with Bant, but there's a distinction between the two. A very very large distinction. Bant has adopted a lot of what they could from Naya, but Naya itself hasn't taken much from anywhere else. They've either left themselves alone or left to join another shard. Very few converts have joined Naya, so really there is a fair exodus of people from the Behemoth rife land.
Bant: Not that far off. Bant has ha to consolidate themselves, but that has taken its toll on its populace. The major thing here is that they are getting a LOT of converts and they are taking over whatever they can. As a military might, they are starting to be a major power since they can match Grixis's siege engines with the captured behemoths and wurms from other shards. Aside from that, they've focused solely on Grixis as the enemy, leaving Esper and Jund alone.
Esper: Malfegor stomped across the entire mageocracy. They were left leaderless and their most useful feature has been focused on converting other beings to their cause or turned into weapons. Etherium is finite.
Aside from that, they aren't making any progress with sangrite at all. They have no clue what they're doing with it. Sangrite Backlash illustrates that clearly. Aside from that, they are regularly attacked by Jund and there really isn't anything they CAN do to Jund. Jund has been a cycle of survival of the fittest so long that it has produced dragons of unmatched power.
The only bolstering they're getting is from people escaping Bant's new crusades.
Grixis: Grixis isn't interested in staying in grixis. Whatever is happening to the dregscape isn't something they care about. If it is being taken over by fungal life, that's GOOD for them because that's more vis they can harvest to bolster their power. Aside from that, some of the groups have organized, but others don't have the interest in sharing. They're getting a lot of power from the backend by harvesting the graves of the other planes and earning the allegiance of the disenfranchised as seen on Servant of Nefarox.
When they're not (very honorably, no doubt) sticking little bits of metal into each other? I'm genuinely curious. From what I can tell of the cards, they have orchards, and philosophical debates, and money, and temples with traps in them, which is nice, but it's all a bit obscure.

(If the Guide or novels give a canonical answer, that's cool, but feel free to make something up if you prefer.)

(Fun, if mean, game: do a Gatherer search for cards and count how many fit in flavorfully with what we have of the plane. Now try to do the same with .)

If it's based on Mideval Europe like it looks to be? The lower classes probubly farm, there's probubly an artisan and merchant class that lives inside the cities, the upper classes probubly run around tossing money away carelessly, starting wars and forging alliances.
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!
Of note for Esper: they all thought that Etherium was indestructible, and for good reason. They were not at all prepared for it to become their greatest weakness when facing Jund 
(Molten Frame) and Bant (Filigree Fracture). There's also the simple fact that it doesn't seem like open war really existed in Esper prior to the Conflux - it was mostly backroom deals, spies and assassinations, which is the Blue way of waging war.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
It seems like lawn bowls would be pretty big.

Jund: There isn't any nuking Jund that they haven't already done to themselves. EVERYTHING is trying to eat you on Jund. Aside from that, Esper really didn't get that powerful, which will be covered below (as well as above) Jund is actually staging regular bombardments on Esper.
Naya: Allied with Bant, but there's a distinction between the two. A very very large distinction. Bant has adopted a lot of what they could from Naya, but Naya itself hasn't taken much from anywhere else. They've either left themselves alone or left to join another shard. Very few converts have joined Naya, so really there is a fair exodus of people from the Behemoth rife land.
Bant: Not that far off. Bant has ha to consolidate themselves, but that has taken its toll on its populace. The major thing here is that they are getting a LOT of converts and they are taking over whatever they can. As a military might, they are starting to be a major power since they can match Grixis's siege engines with the captured behemoths and wurms from other shards. Aside from that, they've focused solely on Grixis as the enemy, leaving Esper and Jund alone.
Esper: Malfegor stomped across the entire mageocracy. They were left leaderless and their most useful feature has been focused on converting other beings to their cause or turned into weapons. Etherium is finite.
Aside from that, they aren't making any progress with sangrite at all. They have no clue what they're doing with it. Sangrite Backlash illustrates that clearly. Aside from that, they are regularly attacked by Jund and there really isn't anything they CAN do to Jund. Jund has been a cycle of survival of the fittest so long that it has produced dragons of unmatched power.
The only bolstering they're getting is from people escaping Bant's new crusades.
Grixis: Grixis isn't interested in staying in grixis. Whatever is happening to the dregscape isn't something they care about. If it is being taken over by fungal life, that's GOOD for them because that's more vis they can harvest to bolster their power. Aside from that, some of the groups have organized, but others don't have the interest in sharing. They're getting a lot of power from the backend by harvesting the graves of the other planes and earning the allegiance of the disenfranchised as seen on Servant of Nefarox.

This was all asumed to be about 5 years after Conflux. 
Jund: They're capable of "staging?" Or do you mean draggons occasionsally get bored and do flyovers? Seems Naya, Esper and Grixis would come up with a countermeasure (plummet, doom blade, f**k yo couch) pretty quickly. And how many dragons can there be? I mean, a lot, yeah, but long term they're doomed.
Naya: Yep. Naya. Of very little direct strategic signifigance to anyone.
Bant: There is nothing much to say about Bant.
Esper: I don't recall the leader-murder. So. Wrong then. They do not seem a people great at functioning without centralized leadership. Still, once they get it together I'd still put them as first or second highest power. Mixing "do what works" with "good with machines" is a powerful combonation.
Grixis: True. If they were efficient enough at harvesting vis they'd have stormed through a long time ago. Still, power boost. That said, between their infighting and lack of cohesion even as small groups I'd still bet against anything directly from Grixis being a huge force when things have settled down. Probably some demon will have a little chunk of land that people avoid and otherwise it'll be carved up between the rest.
Jund: They're capable of "staging?" Or do you mean draggons occasionsally get bored and do flyovers? Seems Naya, Esper and Grixis would come up with a countermeasure (plummet, doom blade, f**k yo couch) pretty quickly. And how many dragons can there be? I mean, a lot, yeah, but long term they're doomed.

This is about a clear of a case of gameplay and story segregation as you can get.

Not everyone on any given shard is a mage, fewer still strong enough to slay dragons (they're the pinnacle of Jund's food chains for a reason.)

Alara Unbroken specified that some of Naya's gargantuans are capable of beating dragons in one-to-one combat, but for the most part the dragon's evasiveness and fiery breath make them more than a match for almost any force on Alara.
This was all asumed to be about 5 years after Conflux. 
Naya: Yep. Naya. Of very little direct strategic signifigance to anyone.
Bant: There is nothing much to say about Bant.
Esper: I don't recall the leader-murder. So. Wrong then. They do not seem a people great at functioning without centralized leadership. Still, once they get it together I'd still put them as first or second highest power. Mixing "do what works" with "good with machines" is a powerful combonation.
Grixis: True. If they were efficient enough at harvesting vis they'd have stormed through a long time ago. Still, power boost. That said, between their infighting and lack of cohesion even as small groups I'd still bet against anything directly from Grixis being a huge force when things have settled down. Probably some demon will have a little chunk of land that people avoid and otherwise it'll be carved up between the rest.

You're assuming waaaaay too much time.
It's been maybe 9 months to a year since the Conflux at TOPS.
The dragons appear to have an organized attack against Esper. A single storm or two of them will make attacks against locations like Palandius.
Also, some dragons have regenerate. Aside from that, Esper particularly lost a HUGE chunk of their forces to Malfegor and it takes YEARS to train up new replacements. You can just hand a sword to a farmer and while they might not be good, they can at least hold a place. Mages don't have that luxury because it takes serious time and training to even get small spells down, much less stuff like doom blade. So it's a much slower process of getting thing together. Add to that an oppressed underclass and you're looking at a place ripe for revolution anyways.
Out of curiosity, what does a "necropyromancer" do?

Do they simply raise dead and burn things? (boring option)

Do they resurrect dead flames? (cute but useless option)

Or do they raise zombies and then set them on fire to go charging into the ranks of the enemy? (the awesomeness option) 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I guess its a generic term for a person who uses and mana.

Think omeone who is Liliana's and Chandra's lovechild (d'aww!), burning people while ressurecting the dead

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

And nobody had drawn something like that with Garruk and Sorin.

SHAME ON YOU, STEVE ARGYLE!
And nobody had drawn something like that with Garruk and Sorin.

SHAME ON YOU, STEVE ARGYLE!

Well the Chandriana picture was a request, so...
<_< >_>
Sign In to post comments