Demon Hunter

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello All,
I want to creat a Demon hunter but cant decide what class would be best. Im going for a diablo 3 style Demon Hunter. If you have any advice it would be great. Thanks! 
Ranger.  Multiattack and off-action attacks like whoa.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Drow (or revenant drow, doesn't really matter) Ranger MC rogue. Use a hand crossbow and a knife. Pick up the drow Hand Crossbow feat support. Twinstrike until the encounter ends. Eventually take the MC power swap to snag another off-action attack.
Drow (or revenant drow, doesn't really matter) Ranger MC rogue. Use a hand crossbow and a knife. Pick up the drow Hand Crossbow feat support. Twinstrike until the encounter ends. Eventually take the MC power swap to snag another off-action attack.

Can't melee twinstrike with this setup.  Little reason to use both weapons for a ranged ranger; might as well use a Superior XBow or Greatbow.

It really depends on how attached you are to in-class flavour, and what sort of mechanics you want to build around.  If you're really attached to in-class flavour, Avenger of someone like Torm/Kord (although, Avengers really want to worship a Skill domain god...).  If you're not, it depends on how your demon hunter should work...  Pure damage?  Ranger.  Big weapons, swingy damage?  Barbarian or Slayer.  Big weapons, reliable damage?  Avenger.  Sneaky and tricky big damage?  Rogue.  Tough as all get-out, reasonable damage?  Blackguard or Slayer.  Or, alternatively, pick up on non-strikers, which have great flavour, or mechanics...

To summarise; pretty much any (viable) class can be a wonderful demon hunter, it's all in how you flavour it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Im thinking more ranger/rogue with crosbow or duel hand crossbows for ranged and daggers for meele and maybe a +* to damage against demons.

Can't melee twinstrike with this setup.  Little reason to use both weapons for a ranged ranger; might as well use a Superior XBow or Greatbow.

It really depends on how attached you are to in-class flavour, and what sort of mechanics you want to build around.  If you're really attached to in-class flavour, Avenger of someone like Torm/Kord (although, Avengers really want to worship a Skill domain god...).  If you're not, it depends on how your demon hunter should work...  Pure damage?  Ranger.  Big weapons, swingy damage?  Barbarian or Slayer.  Big weapons, reliable damage?  Avenger.  Sneaky and tricky big damage?  Rogue.  Tough as all get-out, reasonable damage?  Blackguard or Slayer.  Or, alternatively, pick up on non-strikers, which have great flavour, or mechanics...

To summarise; pretty much any (viable) class can be a wonderful demon hunter, it's all in how you flavour it.

I actually was refering to whatever the drow fighting style is called (Lolthdark?) that makes it so you don't grant OAs with a ranged weapon if you've got a light blade in the OH. The OP makes a point of the build being similar to the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter class, so I was trying to give him something similar.

You wouldn't melee Twinstrike, you would probably have fading strike, which is more similar to the D3 DH, as almost all of his "melee" attacks involve back-flipping (read shifting) away from the enemy so he can pelt them with yet more arrows.

You can also get damage against demons with basically anyone. There's plenty of gear and feat support targeting both demons and undead.

I still suggest a Drow ranger multi rogue. Demon Hunters do have the ability to disappear from sight, but they don't really spend a lot of time fighting from the shadows, they mostly just shoot zillions of arrows at targets, IE, twinstriking. Theoretically, you can get some OH RBAs with your Hand crossbow if you use two of them (which you can do, as you can get quickdraw for free, or at worst a feat.) I'm not sure if two-weapon opportunity applies to this as well, but it would allow you to shoot storms of arrows if it does.

This is another build you might want to consider. It's pretty cheesy, but also pretty fun. The idea is that you take Half Elf's dilettante (any ranger at-will) and change that via Archery Mastery into Rapid Shot. You won't be using normal ranged basic attacks however, you'll be using your ki focus (gained via Elemental Initiate) to spam Divine Bolts as a ranged basic attack (via Power of Skill). Combine this with the Death Arrow Rattling Arrow feature, and you suddenly have a character who can absolutely decimate any more than two monsters. Add in a rogue MC for Two-fisted shooter, guaranteed autodamage via Grazing Shot, and you'll basically be an explosion of fiery arrows against anything in a 3x3 square. 

This build completely flops (i.e. becomes a slightly less efficient vanilla seeker) against a single target though, so, your mileage will vary by DM. 

I'm actually quite thrilled with this build, though I doubt I'm the first one to dream it up. 

Demon Hunter
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Alain, level 16
Half-Elf, Seeker/Invoker, Death Arrow
Seeker's Bond (Hybrid) Option: Bloodbond (Hybrid)
Hybrid Seeker Option: Hybrid Seeker Reflex
Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Reflex
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 9, WIS 24, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 30 Fort: 23 Ref: 27 Will: 29
HP: 85 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Nature +21, Perception +21, Stealth +18, Thievery +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Athletics +8, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +10, Heal +15, History +7, Insight +17, Intimidate +8, Religion +7, Streetwise +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Seeker Feature: Inevitable Shot
Seeker Feature: Encaging Spirits
Ranger Attack: Rapid Shot
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Seeker Attack 1: Grappling Spirits
Seeker Attack 1: Mischief Spirits
Seeker Utility 2: Stag's Grace
Seeker Attack 5: Ensnaring Shot
Invoker Utility 6: Shield of Light
Invoker Attack 7: Admonition of Oghma
Invoker Attack 9: Fourfold Invocation of Doom
Invoker Utility 10: Angelic Visage
Death Arrow Attack 11: Savage Archery
Death Arrow Utility 12: Binding Aim
Invoker Attack 13: Thunderous Rebuke
Seeker Attack 15: Triple Raptor Shot
Invoker Utility 16: Shield of Justice

FEATS
Level 1: Sneak of Shadows
Level 2: Power of Skill
Level 6: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 8: Two-Fisted Shooter
Level 10: Acolyte Power
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 11: Archery Mastery
Level 12: Grazing Shot
Level 14: Primal Eye
Level 16: Fiery Blood

ITEMS
Blazing Arc Ki Focus +4 x1
Hand crossbow x2
Feyleather Armor of Dark Deeds +4 x1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (paragon tier) x1
Shadowdancer's Gloves x1
Boots of Striding and Springing x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier) x1
Assassin's Cloak +3 x1
Incendiary Ring of Fireblazing x1
Ring of Giants x1
Rogue's Belt x1
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Endless Quiver
Backlash Tattoo x1
Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (paragon tier)
Avandra's Blessing of Confidence (paragon tier)
====== End ======
Hello All,
I want to creat a Demon hunter but cant decide what class would be best. Im going for a diablo 3 style Demon Hunter. If you have any advice it would be great. Thanks! 

I had a pretty similar idea. I built an Avenger for this purpose, here is the link, scroll to the bottom for version 3.0: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I started out making her badass against the undead and then in paragon turning her into a demon-killing machine. For the PP I took Arbiter of Forgotten Justice because I thought the Impilturan Demonslayer was really only useful when you were actually fighting demons. If you can guarantee that you will be fighting them pretty regularly then take that, otherwise AFJ is a much better bet IMO. I just liked  Iron Wolf Warrior as a theme but since it's been nerfed it's not as powerful as it was. I think she's a great character that's versatile, tough and certainly able to lay down the smack on demons!

J