Dungeon Command - Behind Enemy Lines question

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
When deploying an adventurer using the power "Behind Enemy Lines" can you exceed your leadership points total? Can you deploy any Adventurer, or must it be a level 1? (it says "1 Adventurer")
I would love to know this aswell. Ran into the same issue when my brother attempted to use this card when he could only play level 3 creatures when the level system only allowed for a level 2...I told him that the card wasn't clear, but I allowed it. It does have to be an Adventurer, but I don't think the cards says it HAS to be a level 1. 
My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
There is no level restriction inherent in the card.  The only restriction is that you must have the Leadership to be able to deploy the creature normally.
We had this card come up last game also.  We played it as the deploying creature had to have the "Adventurer" keyword, played from your creature hand of cards, and had to comply with Leadership rules.  We guessed the word "Immediately" freed this action from any kind of line of sight requirement.
Also, can the just deployed Creature activate during the same turn it is deployed?
Also, can the just deployed Creature activate during the same turn it is deployed?

Yes. Tell your opponent to duck!

And to answer the earlier question, you cannot exceed your leadership total. You must have enough leadership available to deploy the creature. 
Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
The card "Behind Enemy Lines" states that you can immediately place a creature. It doesn't say the creature has to come from your hand, the un-drawn deck or even the graveyard. It doesn't say it has to follow the level limit rule. Am I missing something somewhere?

What's the answer here? 
It doesn't say the creature has to come from your hand, the un-drawn deck or even the graveyard.

Page 6, paragraph 2 of deploy your starting creatures: "You can deploy a creature's miniature only if you have its creature card in your hand."

An order card will specifically state if it modifies this condition.

It doesn't say it has to follow the level limit rule. Am I missing something somewhere?

The better way to read this is "it doesn't say it is exempt from the level limit rule".

All rules apply unless something specifically states they don't.

The card "Behind Enemy Lines" states that you can immediately place a creature. It doesn't say the creature has to come from your hand, the un-drawn deck or even the graveyard. It doesn't say it has to follow the level limit rule. Am I missing something somewhere?

What's the answer here? 

The wording that you give is not correct.  It doesn't say "place" a creature.  It says "deploy" a creature.  Thus, all rules of deployment are in effect, other than the exceptions that are listed on the card: you may do it immediately, and you can do it in the enemy start zone.  The rules are always in effect unless specifically overwritten by the card.  In this case, I think the confusion you have may be due to the idea of only overriding part of a rule, rather than the entire rule.  You can (and often due) make exceptions to just part of a rule, but the rest of the rule applies.

Yeah, fair point. I think Immediately threw me completely off.
I was under the impression that Behind Enemy Lines made deploying in the Opponent's Start Zone *mandatory*.

It is sort of an important distinction for War Wizard, for instance.
I was under the impression that Behind Enemy Lines made deploying in the Opponent's Start Zone *mandatory*.

It is sort of an important distinction for War Wizard, for instance.

Good point. And yes, that's how I would rule it since it clearly states where the creature should be deployed.
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.

It's actually an interesting question; the rulebook implies that the War Wizard and so forth have triggered abilities when they deploy, which implies they first go somewhere "normal" and then go to their special place, but you don't usually bother to go through the steps because nothing currently extant can prevent the trigger from resolving and placing them wherever they want to go.

If this is the case, it seems like you could place the War Wizard in a Magic Circle even if you deployed it with BEL, but it's possible the trigger is actually on declaring a normal deploy or something like that, so some clarification would be useful.

It's actually an interesting question; the rulebook implies that the War Wizard and so forth have triggered abilities when they deploy, which implies they first go somewhere "normal" and then go to their special place, but you don't usually bother to go through the steps because nothing currently extant can prevent the trigger from resolving and placing them wherever they want to go.

If this is the case, it seems like you could place the War Wizard in a Magic Circle even if you deployed it with BEL, but it's possible the trigger is actually on declaring a normal deploy or something like that, so some clarification would be useful.

I'm pretty sure the ruling will indicate that the Order card effect resolves as a modification of standard deployment, and the War Wizard's ability does not resolve as the creature is already deployed. Its a stack effect, the Arcane Circle effect is on the bottom of the stack, and a creature that is deployed cannot "re-deploy".
We answered this in an FAQ on our customer service portal.

FAQ: wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

Answer:
Can I use a creature power to change the location of where an Adventurer deploys due to the Behind Enemy Lines card? (For example, the War Wizard's Arcane Portal power)
No. Creature powers like Arcane Portal affect normal deployment rules. When deploying using Behind Enemy Lines, you have to follow the rules on that card, which in this case means deploying in the enemy start zone. 
Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
Dungeon Command is an exceptions based game. If you think of the exceptions as cascading, you have the normal deploy rules(creatures deploy in your starting area, you can only deploy a total in levels equal to or less than yoru leadership), the war wizard creates an exception to those rules( you can deploy the war wizard to any arcane circle), Behind Enemy Lines also creates an exception, but since it's higher in the 'stack', and is specific about location, it overrides both the normal rules AND the rules on the War Wizard card. If there were a card that lets you deploy a creatuer as a minor, but DOESN'T state a location(asuming your start zone), then the War Wizard ability would be able to override.
Sign In to post comments