Cascade ALL of the spells!!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so I'm looking at making a cascade deck because I think it's a cool ability that leads to a lot of cool plays.  The shell I'm starting with is actually the "Chaos Reigns" Planechase 2012 deck, and then adjusted accordingly.

Here's what I've thought up so far.

LANDS

Lands are what I've worked on the least.  I'm rather bad when it comes to landbase of a 3-color deck, especially one with any kind of 3-color land with my colors.

CREATURES
[deck]
1 maelstrom wanderer
2 etherium-horn sorcerer
4 bloodbraid elf
4 shardless agent
4 birds of paradise
4 quirion dryad
2 illusory angel
[/deck] 
Again, work in progress but it's what I've been trying to work with.  I want to stay only 3 colors, but the more I look at it, the more I think I should keep the "all five colors" idea and not cut out on valuable cascading.

NONCREATURES
[deck]
2 ancestral vision
3 brainstorm
3 lightning bolt
2 arc trail
4 rampant growth
[/deck]
Something simple: all low cost so there really isn't anything that cannot be cascaded into, plus I love the idea of brainstorming, then puting a card or 2 I know I can get off of cascade back on top to be played for "free".

What are people's opinions?  Should I go back to the 5-color deck for the extra cascade? Or are those spots readily fillable with other good cards I can use?  I'd like any and all suggestions please!!
This is the first idea I had to build a commander deck. Using Horde of Notions as the Commander to keep bringing back Maelstrom Wanderer. :D Cascade twice for every 5 mana (1 of each) you have? Assuming a good sacrifice outlet of course. Or if you have 2 Wanderers you can just use the Legend rule to kill them off. XD
Five color could work very nicely. I could see Maelstrom Wanderer playing very nicely with Maelstrom Nexus. Triple Cascade, anyone?

If you go that route, I suggest using lands like Pillar of the Paruns to make casting easier.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
This is the first idea I had to build a commander deck. Using Horde of Notions as the Commander to keep bringing back Maelstrom Wanderer.

That's actually a pretty nice idea!

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I would replace the Visions and Brainstorm with more proactive spells to cascade into, like Blightning or Maelstrom Pulse to get free value, or Fires of Yavimaya or Urabrask the Hidden so you can swing with your insta-army.

You could do some completely bonkers things with Ghostly Flicker and/or Restoration Angel.

Can you imagine this string?

Maelstrom -> Bloodbraid -> Ghostly (targeting Maelstrom and Bloodbraid).

My head hurts trying to figure out how everything resolves at this point.

On hte other hand, I have a new project to try out for modern.

Thanks for the inspiration!

*edit*

I can't read. Cast the spell, not ETB.

Le Sigh. 
would flicker even work? I thought cascade only triggered on being cast.....
I would replace the Visions and Brainstorm with more proactive spells to cascade into, like Blightning or Maelstrom Pulse to get free value, or Fires of Yavimaya or Urabrask the Hidden so you can swing with your insta-army.

You could do some completely bonkers things with Ghostly Flicker and/or Restoration Angel.

Can you imagine this string?

Maelstrom -> Bloodbraid -> Ghostly (targeting Maelstrom and Bloodbraid).

My head hurts trying to figure out how everything resolves at this point.

On hte other hand, I have a new project to try out for modern.

Thanks for the inspiration! 

I believe it doesn't work that way. After you cast Maelstrom Wanderer the stack looks like this:

Cascade
Cascade
Maelstrom Wanderer
BOTTOM

Then you resolve the first cascade which gets you a Bloodbraid Elf in this case. you put it's cascade ability in the stack...

Cascade
Bloodbraid Elf
Cascade
Maelstrom Wanderer
BOTTOM

... which gets you to Ghostly Flicker. The stack now:

Ghostly Flicker
Bloodbraid Elf
Cascade
Maelstrom Wanderer
BOTTTOM

Note that both the Wanderer and the Elf are still on the stack (spells), and not on the battlefield, so you can't target them with the Flicker. Besides, blinking your Wanderer or any other creature with cascade wouldn't trigger cascade anyway. You have to cast the spell.

Pardon me if I'm completely wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone already explained it when I wrote this message.
I had thought about EDH version of this, but my idea was to use progenitus because if I had maelstrom nexus out, I could cascade a 10 CMC spell, which would get me really cool stuff.  I back away from that mostly because I have only a few people to play EDH with, but a lot of people to play casual with, plus I like having 3-4 of the "good" cascade cards and not 1 of each.

I guess I should go back to five-colored though.  I do want more cascade, the manabase should actually be easier, and it opens me up to more fun shenanigans to cascade into.

OR now that I just thought of it, if I end up getting enough suggestions, I may just make it an EDH deck, then when I want to, play it regularly (not set the general aside) because this could pretty much always be a fun deck to play.  I'll think it over.

Thanks everyone!!