2012 Magic Online Community Cup: Who do you think should participate in this year's Community Cup?

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
While we don't yet have the final details to announce about this year's Community Cup, we'd like to get the discussion going. Who you most would like to see from the Magic Online community battle with the Wizards of the Coast team? What makes a good Community Cup team member? Nominations will be opening later this week but we would really like to know what criteria you think makes a good Community Cup team member.

The article explaining how you can make your official nominations is now live!

Edits: Bubba also wisely pointed out that our wonderful community is already discussing this topic here. This is one of the many reasons I love Bubba.

As for why Sean didn't post this, he wasn't available when the Magic Online team made a last minute the decision to give advanced notice that Community Cup nominations coming later this week in the blog post. 

Which brings me to the other questions in this thread.

Who am I? I'm WotC_Robert in Magic Online. If you recognize the name, we've likely played during spellslinging (KOBOLDS) or some of the Closed Betas. If you were at Worlds last year, we may have met. I was lucky enough to get to help with the information booth MOCS Player of the Year event.

And what do I do? I work in Game Support and Operations on Magic Online as well as support and testing for many other Wizards of the Coast brands and systems. In Magic Online you're probably familiar with my work on the game announcements, the weekly downtime announcement blog posts, creation of events during the weekly downtime, recovering from unexpected/unplanned downtimes, contacting tournament winners, communicating with the ORCs, and the thing I'm most proud of - bringing back spellslinging for the 10th Anniversary celebration. None of what we do would amount to much if it weren't for the highly engaged community that we have and the fantastic teams that I get to work with.

Testing some things.

Hi Rob,

I know this is a bit off topic, but in the spirit of keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.....would you care to tell us a little about yourself? You know, since this is your first post and all.  I, myself, have mercilessly defiled the CCC trophy (sig), so I expect that we are already mortal enemies.  Any poisons that you are particularly resistant/susceptible to?  A certain body part that would be your unmaking (left pinky?), etc, etc.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I know this is a bit off topic, but in the spirit of keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.....would you care to tell us a little about yourself?

Don't think your attempts to scout our team have gone unnoticed.
Lee Sharpe Data Analyst Wizards of the Coast
I know this is a bit off topic, but in the spirit of keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.....would you care to tell us a little about yourself?

Don't think your attempts to scout our team have gone unnoticed.

You know we've planted Gavin as a mole, right?

Remember the countdown clock to v3?  Yeah, we reporpoised that *checks clock*, yep, you guy's days are numbered....

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
See also this thread.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
No real changes from what I posted earlier.  Except the font color?

I thought a fair amount about it and would like to see one CCC cup member be a winner of a Gathion-esque Survivor Magic. Prolly no time for it this year, but maybe next year?

I also like the other idea that came up of inviting someone from years past.

OF course they are both good ideas, I came up with them.

Bkibler for the ringer. 

I do like the idea of a preeminent PRE manager going.  (Did you see the clever joke?)

And DAMMIT WOTC I WANT AN INVITATION TO WATCH THE FRIGGIN' THING! Preferably in person.

Thank you, Erik.
Well I have already nominated whom I think exemplify CCC candidates in that prior post (Thanks for linking that Bubba.) I stick by those selections.

To be more general I think CCC players should be from all over MTGO. Traders, Casual players, Multiplayers, Gurus, Tourney Players, Clan Leaders, Forum pundits, writers, podcasters, etc and that has been the case (I think) so far, so the CCC has been great.

One thing I request is that you not allow Gavin anywhere near the deck lists for the WOTC team. He designed all the CCC members decks the year he was invited and we all know how that turned out.

Winter.Wolf

You know we've planted Gavin as a mole, right?

SSSSHHHHHH!!!!! Why are you telling them that?!

Er... *looks around at the WotC folks* Because it's totally not true. At all. And you shouldn't say things that aren't true. So he shouldn't tell you guys that. Because it's not true.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Hi Rob,

I know this is a bit off topic, but in the spirit of keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.....would you care to tell us a little about yourself? You know, since this is your first post and all.  I, myself, have mercilessly defiled the CCC trophy (sig), so I expect that we are already mortal enemies.  Any poisons that you are particularly resistant/susceptible to?  A certain body part that would be your unmaking (left pinky?), etc, etc.

I'm going to second this....who are you?

And why are you posting this instead of our sparkly new community liason person? 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
I think *everyone* should participate.  Do something like a screenshot contest or essay* contest (entwined?) where anyone can enter.  You can even stagger how literal versus how open-ended the subjects are.  Give away prizes to the winner, as well as to anyone whose essay or screenshot you decide to post out for the public.

For example:
Best screenshot of a creature with exactly 2012 power.
Best screenshot interpretation of "I wish I was a dragon".

Essay on "The best way to play magic"
Essay on "The greatest format that doesn't exist yet"
Essay on "Only on Magic Online"

*Think "really long forum post" if this word brings back bad memories from school.   
While we don't yet have the final details...

Am I to assume from this that Sean has already been let go? Promoted sideways? Quit in a rage?

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Maybe he is on vacation?

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Countless names come to mind but I wanted to promote one of our new writers that does an AMAZING job. Matthew Watkins is his name and you can see one of his new articles here puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-ols-dr...

Dude knows his stuff and since he isn't as well known as some of the more established writers I wanted to get his name thrown into the pot.  
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Maybe he is on vacation?

2 weeks into his tenure? Medical leave I can see, but vacation, no. My thinking goes along the lines of "he seems to get along with them, quick, let's (promote/fire) him!" Of course, I'm just making stuff up outta thin air, too.

There's prolly a good reason why a community related announcement isn't coming from the Community Coordinator.

Communtiy member who contributes on a daily, weekly basis for the improvement and betterment of the game and those who play it.
There are already a few of you who have posted in this thread
that fall under that statement.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

Countless names come to mind but I wanted to promote one of our new writers that does an AMAZING job. Matthew Watkins is his name and you can see one of his new articles here puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-ols-dr...

Dude knows his stuff and since he isn't as well known as some of the more established writers I wanted to get his name thrown into the pot.  

I'll add more later (probably), but I'd like to second Matthew Watkins. I've been very impressed with his event data mining work. Though putting he and Lee in the same room might cause problems.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Hi Rob,

Updated the OP with a link to the previous community cup discussion thread and to answer the questions put forth! 

Testing some things.

Maybe he is on vacation?

2 weeks into his tenure? Medical leave I can see, but vacation, no. My thinking goes along the lines of "he seems to get along with them, quick, let's (promote/fire) him!" Of course, I'm just making stuff up outta thin air, too.

There's prolly a good reason why a community related announcement isn't coming from the Community Coordinator.

Yeah, first he randomly closes threads that aren't breaking any rules because he doens't like what we're talking about, then no response when asked to elaborate and reopen, and now he "Isn't available"... This is going even worse than expected, and I wasn't hoping for much.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
Wait, if nominations are coming this week, how will soliciting names now help? I know from experience that it takes at least a couple days to get all the ducks in a row to make the announcement (you have to contact the first choices, get replies, fill any remaining holes...).

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Wait, if nominations are coming this week, how will soliciting names now help? I know from experience that it takes at least a couple days to get all the ducks in a row to make the announcement (you have to contact the first choices, get replies, fill any remaining holes...).

This is your chance to sway other people to also nominate the person you'd like to see and discuss what criteria you think makes a good Community Cup team member!

Testing some things.

My criteria
1: player run event organizers (mmogg)
2: article writers (I'll third that Watkins guy)
3: board trolls
4: for the pro nom I would go with streaming the most (kibler)
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Accepting nominations from you, the people, not announcing the CC team. 

I was figuring atleast a month on the outside before we hear anything on teams.
Its hard to tell with Wotc, as they like to surprise us sometimes.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Here are a few people that I think are exceptional choices:

1. Jon Loucks - @jonloucks on Twitter

He is one of the hosts of Limited Resources, which is the most popular Magic Podcast around. Most importantly, this also means that he's one of the people that promotes the Limited Resources Clan, which is the biggest clan on MTGO. He also does a lot of streaming, and he has one of the most entertaining streams on the web. He likes to try out lots of different strategies, and he's got such a positive attitude, and he like to talk about interesting things while he streams.

2. David Stewart, aka Asturiel on MTGO - @TheGodofPants on Twitter

Asturiel is the main person who runs the LR Cube events on MTGO. He works really hard to make those events happen, usually once or twice a week. He's an incredibly nice guy and works hard to make MTGO a good experience for a lot of different players.

3. Nathan Holt - @WalkThePlanes on Twitter

I'm not sure how much Nathan does for MTGO specifically, but he's the person behind the Walk the Planes. I believe that those videos are doing incredible things for the game, since they are making the Pro Tour so much more accessible to the general public. Additionally, if he were to go to the Community Cup, he could do a Walk the Planes video for it, which would be beyond awesome.

4. Jon Finkel - @jonnymagic00 on Twitter

Everyone knows Jon Finkel, but the reason why I'd like to promote him is for his work as one of the main people behind gamershelpinggamers.org/, which is a non-profit charity designed to help Magic players through college, specifically through annual scholarships. I know that it isn't an MTGO specific thing, but I think it would be swell to get Jon over to the Community Cup, and give him some good press about the charity. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Maybe he is on vacation?

Yeah, first he randomly closes threads that aren't breaking any rules because he doens't like what we're talking about, then no response when asked to elaborate and reopen, and now he "Isn't available"... This is going even worse than expected, and I wasn't hoping for much.

I'm almost certain that Sean only closed threads that were requested to be closed. And the fact that he didn't post in those threads about closing them is most likely because we neglected to remind him of that.

On a last note, Sean's a pretty awesome guy and he's definitely busy getting everything together in the office and here. Please cut the new guy some slack

Trevor Kidd Community Manager
DAMMIT WOTC I WANT AN INVITATION TO WATCH THE FRIGGIN' THING! Preferably in person.

Maybe we could knock out a few windows? Then people could watch from the parking lot! I’m joking, obviously, but it would be pretty cool.

You can count on some great coverage of the Community Cup this year, so those who aren’t here in person will still get to share the CC experience. Still working on the details, though.

Am I to assume from this that Sean has already been let go? Promoted sideways? Quit in a rage?

They made me "Ship Captain" for a day, but I was forced to give the hat back afterward.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

DAMMIT WOTC I WANT AN INVITATION TO WATCH THE FRIGGIN' THING! Preferably in person.

Maybe we could knock out a few windows? Then people could watch from the parking lot! I’m joking, obviously, but it would be pretty cool.

You can count on some great coverage of the Community Cup this year, so those who aren’t here in person will still get to share the CC experience. Still working on the details, though.

FYI, in case you weren't "in the know", Algona lives very close to WotC.  He visits (pillages) occasionally.  Also, won a 2HG prerelease for conflux (alara?) by partnering with Turian.

My criteria
1: player run event organizers (BlippyTheSlug)
2: article writers (BlippyTheSlug) 
mtgoheirloom.webs.com I am Blue/White
Herm,
I think good nomanations would be Ambassadors to the game, whether  it be a format, policy, or part of the culture. For instance the guy who did the Walking the Planes videos would be a great one for the culture aspect.
I would tip my hat towards MMogg and Abstrakt for the Classic Vote and Blippy for the Modern one.
I'd also like to see some innovation from the pro angle.

Doesn't really matter though, as they don't want to go down 0-4. They will probably stack the teams or do Commander for every  Event.
Tongue Out

Member of Clan Magic Eternal Writer for Pure on classic

FYI, in case you weren't "in the know", Algona lives very close to WotC.  He visits (pillages) occasionally.  Also, won a 2HG prerelease for conflux (alara? unsanctioned 2HG at GP Tacoma 1) by partnering with Turian.

fFixed. 

Sean I don't want to be a part of Team hamtastic, I live close enough it would be a waste.  Worse, I am an awful player.  I just want an invitation to watch.   No expense to WotC, except a little oxygen and chair space.  Do I deserve special consideration?  Of course!  Why?  Uhhh, well, I gotta go for now.

Algona <-------- Loser, fFlamer, NTB Trollnomicist, really wants that invitation to watch.
Thank you, Erik.
My criteria

No.

My criteria

No.

I refer all questions about this to my article on said person.

Winter.Wolf

My criteria

No.

Yes

and

AND

I require you to grow out the Mohawk (start now)

puremtgo.com/articles/legendary-personal...

Agree with this wholeheartedly!
He's done  a great job thus far.
To add on,
I cant recall , without looking it up, who has been to this awesome event, but my votes never have been based on that fact nor should they. We are after all looking to send those who derseve it and have put in the leg work to make MTGO and the community better.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Assuming this comment refers specifically to Matthew, (apologies if it doesn't and this post is therefore not relevant), I would say that writing engaging articles is an important part of the Magic community, and he has become the no. 1 author I look forward to reading.

Also he uses Magic Online in a novel way for his content.

Further, I think some of his articles may have contributed to increased MTGO participation... for example his work on Invasion Block drafting encouraged me to do many more of these drafts (17!) than I typically would (2-4). Others may have felt the same.

Obviously there are many other things that encompass community (running PREs being the main one I  think of), but I don't think writing great articles should be discounted!

On a separate note, shouldn't this generally be referred to as the Hamtastic Cup?
The trophy is named the Hamtasic Cup.
The event is still named CCC.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Editing my response, since I have to put MTGO user names.

wrongwaygoback (Neale Talbot)
_shipitholla (Michael Hetrick)
kibler (Brian Kibler)
DarthKatan (TSG)
Mazikeen (Thea Steele)

For those of you that don't know, Thea was hosting MTGO cube drafts before WOTC made them officially available.  They were really popular and hard to get invited for a spot.  So if you like cube on MTGO you should vote for her too.
I would nominate Reid Duke, he's been on a tear by winning the MOCS championship and also making his name on the pro tour.  Despite all of that though, he got his start on MODO by winning a MOCS the previous year as well as winning two MODO ptqs to make it onto the train in the first place. 
Matthew Watkinsis doing great work at puremtgo.com with some of the best articles I've ever had the pleasure to edit.  I think it would be neat to see him there! 
I'd like to echo the endorsements of Reid Duke (ReidderRabbit) - he's the super MtGO grinder that has made it big in the IRL scene, contributes to the community through video and articles, and is an all around great guy.

I'd also like to mention Adam Ragsdale (AWinnarIsYou on MtGO, Twitter, and Twitch.tv). He runs the Gamestate videocast, streams regularly on Twitch, and is an awesome and highly entertaining guy. I think he's actually the best (most entertaining, most watchable) of the frequent streamers and deserves to be more widely known.