New Player Tickets = Amazing

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Announcement: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
Show
We are always looking at ways to improve the Magic Online experience for our players, especially when they are just starting out. Each year, when the Core Set launches, we update the Magic OnlineNew Account Starter kit as part of this process. This ensures that new players get the latest Core Set booster, the newest cards, and the most recent Planeswalker Deck Pack. In addition, this year we are adding something completely new: New Player Tickets!

With the release of Magic 2013, we wanted to give new players a better way to get comfortable with Magic Online and the game's controls, especially when entering Limited tournaments, namely Booster Drafts and Sealed Deck events. To this end, we have created the New Player Ticket. Starting with the downtime on July 25, every new Magic Online New Account Starter Kit will include 4 New Player Tickets (including any previously purchased, unopened Starter Kits). These special, untradeable tickets will let new players enter the two new tournament queues listed below that are designed to let them become familiar with how Magic Online works in a low-pressure environment.

Each New Player tournament is a 4-player Phantom queue. This means each event will launch as soon as four players join and each player will play two matches, win or lose, but the cards played with will not be added to players' collections.

Prizes = TNMO promo for the one player to go 2-0

Seriously, I love this idea.  It's probably one of the only reasonable ways to give new players a very easy introduction into limited tournaments.  Plus, there is zero risk for the  new player. 

I'm really glad they are finding some good uses for the introduction of phantom packs (besides cube).  Of course, they have some bad ones too (limited MOCS, not so sure about the new TNMO...)

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
The new player ticket thing is kinda cool, but from what I understand reading that, the tournaments have no prizes other than the TNM card if you win both games, sounds fair enough. However, are there that many new players joining every day that these queues will be firing? Isn't a new player more likely to end up in a tournament with at least one experienced player who is using up the tickets on the second account they just made?

I like the idea in theory and am interested in how it works out, when I started out years ago it certainly would have been nice to not just get handed a bunch of useless 8th edition cards and nothing else, I'll be curious to see how many of these fire.

Not sure about the TNMO changes, on the one hand it'll be nice to play in a limited environment *without* rare drafting, on the other hand, something wired in me doesn't like phantom events where you open a sweet foil and have no way of claiming it.
The new player ticket thing is kinda cool, but from what I understand reading that, the tournaments have no prizes other than the TNM card if you win both games, sounds fair enough. However, are there that many new players joining every day that these queues will be firing? Isn't a new player more likely to end up in a tournament with at least one experienced player who is using up the tickets on the second account they just made?

I like the idea in theory and am interested in how it works out, when I started out years ago it certainly would have been nice to not just get handed a bunch of useless 8th edition cards and nothing else, I'll be curious to see how many of these fire.

Not sure about the TNMO changes, on the one hand it'll be nice to play in a limited environment *without* rare drafting, on the other hand, something wired in me doesn't like phantom events where you open a sweet foil and have no way of claiming it.

I think there are more actual new players joining every day than any of us are capable of estimating.  I would expect these will fire just fine (at least, they will during the summer, where we have an insane amount of new players being introduced via DotP)

I think new player retention may be a problem with MTGO.  It's easy enough to try out, especially those players that got all psyched up from playing duals.  However, people can quickly get disillusioned when they are beaten game after game in the casual rooms and with there being little support for other players to help the new ones learn (though the mentor format is certainly a step in the right direction).  I think this is a good way to "reel 'em in", so to speak. 

I've seen many new players talk about completely bombing out of a few drafts.  Oddly, I also frequently hear them say they don't really mind because they opened a busted mythic that more than paid for the draft (Tayamio, Primeval Titan, etc).....It almost makes me think that the ones that had the same experience, except opened stuff worth nothing, just left and never posted or anything.  That would be a bad thing*, and I think this will alleviate it, if only just a tiny bit.

*trademarked

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

I think there are more actual new players joining every day than any of us are capable of estimating.  I would expect these will fire just fine (at least, they will during the summer, where we have an insane amount of new players being introduced via DotP)

I think new player retention may be a problem with MTGO.  It's easy enough to try out, especially those players that got all psyched up from playing duals.  However, people can quickly get disillusioned when they are beaten game after game in the casual rooms and with there being little support for other players to help the new ones learn (though the mentor format is certainly a step in the right direction).  I think this is a good way to "reel 'em in", so to speak. 

I've seen many new players talk about completely bombing out of a few drafts.  Oddly, I also frequently hear them say they don't really mind because they opened a busted mythic that more than paid for the draft (Tayamio, Primeval Titan, etc).....It almost makes me think that the ones that had the same experience, except opened stuff worth nothing, just left and never posted or anything.  That would be a bad thing*, and I think this will alleviate it, if only just a tiny bit.

*trademarked

That I can understand, it's pretty daunting whether you have played paper or not to drop $14 on a draft when you have no idea what to do, how the drafting interface works etc. It's a good way to give people a taste so they don't just, as you said, bomb out of a draft with nothing to show for it and quit playing the game. That would indeed be a Bad Thing™.
Seems like a very good idea. gg, WotC!
Thank you, Erik.
New player ticket is a good idea.

The TNM change on the other hand seems terrible. It took everything good away from TNM:
cheap 2tic constructed queues
nix tix swiss drafts with a bonus booster to first
4-booster sealed

I won't play another constructed tnm. 2tix was perfect for those. Cheap enough that you didn't mind playing with a sub-par or rogue deck and either way you got your promo. Paying 5 tix for what is usually a quater promo just isn't worth it.
With my dislike of phantom events, I probably won't play another limited one either. Unless the promo card is worth 2+ tix, I'd rather just play a real draft/4-booster queue and fill out my sets.     

Oh well, I guess thursday night is free again.    
This is great. The only thing missing with inducting new players is a way to match make experienced players as mentors to new players. THAT would make this perfect with prizes perhaps awarded to the mentors voted best teacher in a particular session and players awarded achievement awards for passing mentor tests. (I mean common promos and the like.)

One of the reasons I haven't been messing with mentor system much is that it seems pretty hard to find the truly new from the merely inexperienced and or casual players. Occasionally I have the opportunity to share some wisdom or thoughts with a new player but usually games go by without more than a greeting exchanged and usually that only given by myself.

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

Not playing anymore TNMO, thats for sure.
I think new player retention may be a problem with MTGO. 

In my experience retention is a problem for every group activity. Young people try out way more new things than they can sustain indefinitely. I recently analysed the last log in date for every member of my clan and plotted them out on a graph. My conclusions are that 60% of players who joined our clan have quit mtgo permanently, and a player who has not logged in for 2 weeks has probably quit.
Awesome WoTc. Keep up the new stuff and finding ways to help the new players.
I would love to mentor those that wanted the help.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

I think new player retention may be a problem with MTGO. 

In my experience retention is a problem for every group activity. Young people try out way more new things than they can sustain indefinitely. I recently analysed the last log in date for every member of my clan and plotted them out on a graph. My conclusions are that 60% of players who joined our clan have quit mtgo permanently, and a player who has not logged in for 2 weeks has probably quit.

Yeah, I realize that point (my friends who introduced me to MTG 10 years ago quit within months...I'm still playing).  However, I think it's even worse with MTGO for whatever reasons.

This is great. The only thing missing with inducting new players is a way to match make experienced players as mentors to new players. THAT would make this perfect with prizes perhaps awarded to the mentors voted best teacher in a particular session and players awarded achievement awards for passing mentor tests. (I mean common promos and the like.)

One of the reasons I haven't been messing with mentor system much is that it seems pretty hard to find the truly new from the merely inexperienced and or casual players. Occasionally I have the opportunity to share some wisdom or thoughts with a new player but usually games go by without more than a greeting exchanged and usually that only given by myself.

This sounds like a great idea!
Not sure how it would be worked in practice, especially to avoid abuse.
I'm always being asked basic interface questions by new players. (I come across lots of new players because I sometimes have an ad up in the classifieds offering free commons to new players). 
Fantastic idea.  Seems like good execution, too.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
And my plan of collecting promos just crashed
I'd previously assumed setting up new accounts would be too much hassle for anyone to set up accounts just to play the new player events... but I was just wondering... if someone:

-has at least a $10 budget to draft each week
-doesn't mind playing 4-player 2 match drafts (eg many people, myself included much prefer the drafting portion to the playing games afterwards)
-doesn't mind the clutter of having many accounts
-doesn't mind continually beating up on new players (without the chance for stiffer competition)

...then is it feasible to keep setting up a new account every week?!

You get to play 4 (2 round) drafts. If you're an experienced player, you may win the majority of these.  
I couldn't find the prize structure, but if going 2-0 got you 2 M13 boosters, then winning 6-8 boosters doesn't seem unreasonable.

Selling the extra boosters (ie 7th and 8th if won) would net you the tix and boosters to draft twice more in normal queues (where you keep the cards).

Even if you lose those, $10 for 6 drafts, a couple of promos and 90 M13 cards, seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Obviously a few assumptions, but what do people think?
The prize for winning the new player draft is the non-foil TNM promo of the month. So most of the time you win a quarter. Don't think many will be making multiple accounts to farm this queue.
The announcement says:

"PRIZES:
 Prizes are based on total match points at the end of the tournament. Each match win awards 3 points and each match loss awards 0 points. Players who earn 6 match points will earn 1 copy of the current Thursday Night Magic Online promo card."

But *I thought* didn't say what the prizes were.
I'd never considered that there wouldn't be booster prizes, and have never considered promos to ever be prizes (but rather a promotion to encourage participation).

If you're correct and these pay out no real prizes, then I guess my previous post is totally irrelevant nonsense! Embarassed
So V3 sucks the client is a memory hog and i experience massive slow down

an all these threads i see are OMG THE TICKETS LOOK COOL

or OMG m13 the packs look cool

"omg the tickets look great "

good job wotc seriously is this a joke?
ProtossX, if you ever have children, make sure to take some parenting classes. You'll learn that the best way to educate them is not to punish them for when they misbehave but to cheer them on and reward them when they behave well. 

With companies its obviously not the same, but its always good to make them realize what they are doing right when they ARE doing it right aswell as pointing out errors. 

I personally think the new player tickets are a great idea and Wizards should continue to investigate in making the game better for newer players. Hopefully they'll also look into making an actual in game tutorial, where you "play" a fixed deck against a fixed "Ai" and the software just tells you what to do so you see how to do it (like in Duels of the Planeswalkers).
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
So V3 sucks the client is a memory hog and i experience massive slow down

an all these threads i see are OMG THE TICKETS LOOK COOL

or OMG m13 the packs look cool

"omg the tickets look great "

good job wotc seriously is this a joke? 

Actually, I said nothing about how they look.  I'd be fine if they were plain white with black text.  Anything to make MTGO run faster.  V3 certainly isn't the most slim and agile client...by far.

I've removed content from this thread. Personal attacks are against the Code of Conduct.

You can read the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Sign In to post comments