What deck would you unlock 1st?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a free key from being a 2012 game owner.  I'm just a casual magic player looking for a decent deck to assist in the campaign as well as be fun to play in multiplayer.

Thanks in advance! 
The very first thing I'd do before you make any decision like that is go --> Here <-- and unlock the 10 promotional cards for each deck.

It makes a difference in how each deck plays right off the bat.
Thanks man, DONE!
I personally find Crosswinds to be the most fun deck in the game due to its out-of-the-box tactics. It does decently well in 1v1 and is a complete monster in 2v2.

If you're looking for a basic deck that can hold its own against just about any deck to get through the campaign quickly, try Pack Instinct. They actually got Garruk right this time around.
I personally find Crosswinds to be the most fun deck in the game due to its out-of-the-box tactics. It does decently well in 1v1 and is a complete monster in 2v2.

If you're looking for a basic deck that can hold its own against just about any deck to get through the campaign quickly, try Pack Instinct. They actually got Garruk right this time around.

It is also one of the most annoying to unlock as the deck takes a long time to win, even against the easiest encounters.
Other thing to consider is unlocking a deck you don't want to play. Save yourself some discomfort.
+1 to Splattercat
I'm casual enough to not know which I don't want to play.  :P  What seem to be the current favorites besides Crosswinds?
Honestly, I think Exalted is the only one that's falling behind in terms of popularity.

That said, Goblins is frequently cited as being the most popular due to its speed.
The red decks are fast and fun - goblins, dragons and throwing fire in the opponent's face. Garruk's deck is also easy to play and has lots of cool, huge creatures. As a casual noob myself, I think these decks are best for starting out.
The decks in this game are all pretty balanced. Well, by balanced I mean can be extremely rediculous. :p
And every deck has a deck that can counter it (I think).

The only deck that people feel isn't that great is Exaulted Darkness.
But personally, this deck CAN be a real terror in 1v1's if you play mobiuschickenstrips's version of it.
It's actually one of my favorite 1v1 decks now, simply because people underestimate it so much. 
I don't know about everyone else, but before the unlocks, I found Exalted Darkness an abosolute bore to play. The vanilla deck takes too long to set up, and usually you'll be thwarted by the time you get things going. I would unlock that one first, but just personal preference.
Exalted Darkness is defninitely an underappreciated deck, but I found playing it to be quite fun and it catches people off-guard for some of it's cards. Worship, Debtors' Knell are interesting cards to have and some decks do not have enough removal to remove the cards. Both Knights of Glory and Infamy can become quite dangerous against white and black decks, especially with exalted.

However, my first deck I unlocked was Chandra's deck. It is one of the few you can select from the beginning, so I thought I'd stick with that one until it was unlocked.
Depends on your playstyle.

Heavy Removal: Chandra (Red) = Burn all the things and use phoenixes that have a hard time staying dead to win.
Liliana (Black) = Murder all the things and play huge demons to finish off your opponent.

Aggro/Weenie: Krenko (Red) = Spam the board with goblins and swarm in with haste tricks.
Odric (White) = Load the board with soldiers while using removal to keep to the attack tempo up.

Stompy: Garruk (Green) = Ramp up your mana and play big creatures to trample over your opponent.

Stall/Combo: Talrand (Blue) = Stave off your opponent until you can can take extra turns, flood the board with flyers, and copy his creatures.
Yeva (Green) = Build up a comes-into-play ability army to break lands, draw cards, ramp up, and throw huge worms into play.

Mill: Jace (Blue) = Make everyone draw more cards while milling their library away.

Lifegain: Ajani (White) = Gain life while building an army that usually goes to the air for the finish.

Exalted: Nefarox (Black/White) = Amass an exalted army to gains buffs for sending in a solo attacker.
Sign In to post comments