[challenge] formal chromodynamics

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's have a portraiture contest! Here's how it works:

1) Your subjects: each of the five colors - or each arc, wedge, or dyad, or some set of relationships among such things, or the like. (Do you have to do a complete cycle? Obviously not, but my prior opinion is that each portrait will say the most when it exists in context. Of course, feel free to point to draw a one-off or two and claim they complete or replace members of a collection someone else already posted, since that serves the same function.) Enter as many times as you like.

2) Your medium: MS Paint or equivalent; in blacks, whites, and greys.

3) Your constraints: strictly no representation allowed. No skulls or angels or angel skulls; no text; the only content you're allowed is form. Obviously representationality is a spectrum, but when in doubt, consider if you can make it more abstract; and if you can't, just go with it - it's not like you have anything to lose anyway.

4) Your title: "Untitled." Or more precisely: name each series "Untititled #___," where "___" is some number (duh,) and append letters mechanically (a, b, c...) to the specific title of each item (their internal order chosen randomly.) So I might offer up "Untitled #4," with #4a, #4b, #4c, #4d, and #4e. The purpose of all this is so we can refer to portraits without you telling us who their subjects are, so don't (tell us who their subjects are.)

5) Your criteria: elegance, clarity (of referent) but also subtlety (in means of acheiving clarity), cleverness, inspiring insightful critical comments, the usual. (As you might have guessed, you will not be judged on technical ability.)

6) Your judges: everybody. Just analyze the hell out of everything other people post (that's interesting enough to inspire that.) Coming up with a list of formal winners beyond that is pointless.

7) Your prize: uh, the fun of participating, obviously. 

If you want to break the letter of the rules while adhering to the spirit by submitting a five-movement piano piece or whatever, obviously go for it. I look forward to seeing what we come up with! ^_^
Hmm, I feel like this first one I made is very representational, even though it isn't really intended to. It also has some technical issues, but you told me to work in paint. Jerk. (I am much better in PowerPoint)

Edit: The rest of the series

Note, this isn't the order I necessarily created them in (except Untitled #8a was the first). 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Untitled #13d

This has a mk2 Version:

Untitled #13e

This has a mk2 Version:

b and e were the hardest for me, oddly

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

So, if I understand it correctly, we need to make some kind of abstract representation of the colors in paint?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Untitled #8e is better than Untitled #13d!

Slightly more seriously, I feel as though Untitled #13e and Untitled #13c both edge into representational territory.

Also, Untitled #13b, while by process of elimination I think I know what color it represents, I'm not sure if I understand the design choices. The fractionalized "head" I think I can understand, but I don't think I understand the tail. Anyone else's thoughts?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

I may have gotten into representational territory. I'm not an artist, so sue me. Untitled #22c is the one I'm least happy with, but we'll see if you guys can tell which is which.

Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
I finally figured out my problem with b.  I've edited it.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

PowerPoint is a perfectly fine equivalent to MS Paint as far as I'm concerned. So is pretty much anything you might use: the main point of bringing up MS Paint was to emphasize that these don't need to look good along any traditional metric.

On #8
, yes? The one I find least satisfactory here is /a, because it does feel representational in the "wrong" way - the easiest reading is that the Pythagorean Theorem is standing in, as a Famous Theorem, for science and logic (as well as serving as a pun on "rational.") A more distant reading that I like is that for an equivalent raw substance (a given quantity of area) is capable of assuming many different forms. looks at a square and sees two smaller squares that its substance could be shaped into.

I really like how can be read as hierarchical or egalitarian or both. Mad props for capturing its ambiguity there so elegantly.

Intuitively I feel confident about and here, but intellectually I could see them switched as well.

On #13
My intuition tells me , although intellectually I like better. Both b and e plausibly express 's pattern of replication and growth, and e can be read as a planner's map of choices untaken and possibilities considered and dismissed, extending out into the future. I find it far from odd that they were the toughest two, since they read the most ambigously!

I love the use of the repeating motif, though I feel it's weakened considerably by not being extended throughout the cycle. 13c feels too representational, but I really like the symmetry with 13a, as well as the basic idea of what you're doing with it. My instinct would be to have the cracked-but-remaining half surrounded with the pieces of the destroyed half. I'm unsure whether 13a is better with a divisor at all - though interestingly this would make it quite similar to 8b, which I read as , so maybe Aquinas was right and needs a degree of relationality along with its oneness - and whether 13b is employing the motif in the same language as 13a and 13c.

13d and 8e are both precisely what the first thing that came to mind for me on as well. I wonder if you sat down a thousand Magic players what percentage would do something fairly similar.

lol is this actually a portraiture contest? can i get it broken down in laymans terms? sorry, thanks

So, if I understand it correctly, we need to make some kind of abstract representation of the colors in paint?

Xyoque expressed the answer to this perfectly. Demento and Tevish (and, edit, Micorku) expressed it far more perfectly.
I've decided to redo 13d and 13e without removing the older versions.  here are the mk2

Some shots of my own soon enough, promise.

On #22
Representational - or, perhaps more accurately, covertly textual - but what I really like here is the negative definition of 22a, if that is indeed . Every other color wants to do something with this little circular universal signifier, but manifests in just its bare being. This is a great example of how you can create a vocabulary through juxtaposition. 8b and 13a and 22a all mean completely different things because of their context and I think that's great. I don't even care that I can't discriminate between and because that's clearly not the point.

I'm not sure how 22d fits into this gestalt. I understand why it does, or perhaps rather doesn't, but the fact that it doesn't I feel undermines the effect you have going with 22a. It implies something significant about and but I can't make out what it is, and feel as though it's an accident. You could say that also escapes the model by embodying pure becoming without any being, at the opposite pole from , but that doesn't really come through (and so obviously would be represented by something that could contain a circle but doesn't, like an empty arrow say, that that's not it.) The chaotic shape could be a transformation of the circle itself but that doesn't really come through either, and I'm not sure what it would mean if it did.

#22c, do you think it is a house or an arrow? A house might indicate , but an upwards arrow might indicate growth for .

Do I need ot Sblock this?

mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I've been sblocking to allow others to make their guesses before seeing mine, but I don't personally care whether others do.

Untitled #7:

Only 100% satisfied with a and d, but we'll see.

Edit: updated 7e.

I'm starting to see that red is the key towards understanding the these sets. First look towards what "breaks the mold", then you can understand what the mold is?

-White clearly defines right and wrong
-Blue understands this, but also changes this for interest and creating a more complex pattern, less rigid but still prefering clear lines.
-Black doesn't see simple morality, just shades of grey
-Green doesn't even consider that morality could exist.
-Red likes the color pink. Also, screw vertical lines

You also have 2 #7c

Edit: Updated for new #7e, I like it better

mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I decided to participate here.

Here's my five submissions:

gwawinapterus.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/a...
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Here's mine, but I'm calling them by my name instead of 'Untitled'--I think referring to them by the username of the poster rather than by number would make talking about them easier.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

This is a really brilliant idea, Uriel. Absolutely fantastic. I kind of want to collect these in the Expanded Multiverse, actually...

Is it alright if I use Photoshop and Illustrator? I feel like that would be, well, cheating, since they're way more powerful than Paint is. Of course, it might be mediated by the fact that I am absolute bollocks at abstract art.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm going to redo mine - I'm not at all happy with most of them, and I need to give them some more thought and see what I come up with.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
Feel free to use Photoshop, totally.

Zamm, that probably makes more sense. My thinking was that giving them numbers encourages people to make multiple cycles, and also allows people to take a critical distance from their creation, which is always good, but really, any title will do, and pure numbers will probably become unweildly as time goes on.

I admit to not "getting" Shamsiel's.

I'm starting to see that red is the key towards understanding the these sets. First look towards what "breaks the mold", then you can understand what the mold is?

-White clearly defines right and wrong
-Blue understands this, but also changes this for interest and creating a more complex pattern, less rigid but still prefering clear lines.
-Black doesn't see simple morality, just shades of grey
-Green doesn't even consider that morality could exist.
-Red likes the color pink. Also, screw vertical lines

You also have 2 #7c

Show
Very close to authorial intent, which was , but your reading seems just as plausible.

My thinking with is that (an aspect of) it is somewhat parasitic (heh) on 's morality, in a sort of "evil be thou my good" sense, and so for the individual in question (within the circle) altruism and teamwork are forbidden and selfishness and parasitism are virtues. Leaving the rest of the picture as is (and as I did) reads as an emphasis on still preferring that the stupid sheeple keep on following 's dumb morality, and so a criticism of 's hypocrisy or unsustainability, but it might be equally accurate to shade everything outside grey (or perhaps better yet to make a .gif and erase everything outside the circle, although as a technical issues that's only visible if people see it behind multiple backgrounds.)

, like you said, sees everything as complex. Obviously the picture I had in mind for it is quite simple, except in the "grey" = "morally complex" trope on which I'm relying. Perhaps more importantly it's emphasizing 's tendency to suspend judgment, both in the sense that it thinks more information is needed and that it tends not to view things as good or bad in themselves, but good or bad dependent on context - without throwing out the concept of evaluation altogether. Maybe having a diversity of shades would be better.

With the idea isn't so much that doesn't see morality, as that it thinks everything is inherently good. I don't know if the sequence is better with it in its current position or first.

With 7e the idea isn't so much that is wacky! and doesn't follow the rules! (although it can be and doesn't) but that recognizes genuine dilemmas, moral and otherwise, in the sense of incommensurability. Should I sleep with Tom? Well, I'm incredibly attracted to Tom, but I love my husband and... One option isn't necessarily better than the other, but they sure are different. Either way you lose something and get something important, and if you're busy trying to figure out which one weighs more, then you're not paying attention to their unique emotional textures, which is the whole point of being alive. And of course these distinctions are orthogonal to those that concern , hence why I rotated it, but now that I'm thinking in terms of two choices maybe I should flip it back to where it was originally, idunno.

With respect to your broader comment on cracking these, it wasn't really my intention for any of these to "break the mold," but to express something within the language of the mold. How well I succeeded is of course another matter!

Show
I'm not at all confident in these, but my interpretations here are:

looks at the world and sees abstract categories.
looks at the world and sees action, which is something that gets you from Point A to Point B,  but getting from here to there isn't the point (heh) of the action. Journey, not destination.
looks at the world and sees a bunch of winners at the top and losers at the bottom. Sucks to be you, losers. (Perhaps a bit too representational, although the others are perfect on this score.)
looks at the world and sees a great cosmic contrast between good and evil where, if you zoom in on anything, you can see that battle being fought. The microscopic world of individual moral struggle looms as large in its mind as the cosmic struggle; in whether I sleep with Tom (to borrow the above example) as much profundity as Avacyn's duel with Griselbrand.
looks at the world and sees a bunch of self-replicating processes. Everything contains within itself the seed of itself, which blossoms forth according to its kind.
To spice things up a bit, I'm going with allied color pairings.

These are somewhat more representational in nature, something which I will probably endeavor to correct in the next run through. I really like how this pushes both color pie thinking and artistic thinking.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Show
I'm not at all confident in these, but my interpretations here are:

looks at the world and sees abstract categories.
looks at the world and sees action, which is something that gets you from Point A to Point B,  but getting from here to there isn't the point (heh) of the action. Journey, not destination.
looks at the world and sees a bunch of winners at the top and losers at the bottom. Sucks to be you, losers. (Perhaps a bit too representational, although the others are perfect on this score.)
looks at the world and sees a great cosmic contrast between good and evil where, if you zoom in on anything, you can see that battle being fought. The microscopic world of individual moral struggle looms as large in its mind as the cosmic struggle; in whether I sleep with Tom (to borrow the above example) as much profundity as Avacyn's duel with Griselbrand.
looks at the world and sees a bunch of self-replicating processes. Everything contains within itself the seed of itself, which blossoms forth according to its kind.

Definitely not anywhere in line with authorial intent. I'll try putting up some companion pieces tomorrow which should give you a better clue. ;)

And here's the companion pieces--took me forever to come up with the idea for the last one.

Here's mine, but I'm calling them by my name instead of 'Untitled'--I think referring to them by the username of the poster rather than by number would make talking about them easier.

I'm saying
Red just likes anythinhg it wants
Blue wants to go in new directions
White is orderly, everybody ordered
Black likes corrupting other things as shown by this creeping black
And green wants it to branch out like nature

[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Whoever said I was doing the five colors?

Ah, I see.

A is Zokorad
D is Barinellos
E is Vektor?
The rest I don't know.
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)

Ah, I see.

A is Zokorad
D is Barinellos
E is Vektor?
The rest I don't know.

That is far, far to orderly and coherent to be Zokorad.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I did take the Duel Color Test and the Single Color Test and got:

White
White/Blue
White/Red   

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

A is Zokorad