Rule of Three: 07/24/2012

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rule of Three:
07/24/2012
by Rodney Thompson

Announcement: Starting next week, this D&D Q&A column will be moving over to the D&D Next Playtest Group, where it can better serve our heavily enfranchised D&D community. In addition to tackling questions related to D&D Next, we will continue to answer questions related to 4E products, other D&D products, and D&D in general.

Talk about this article here.
Rule of 3 Haiku Time!

4e errata?
Until we stop making it
So, end of the year.

4e reprintings?
Only if there's a demand
(There is no demand.)

4e articles?
Until the end of the year.
Then all bets are off.
the mags have been on a decline for years, quantity more than quality, but its still sad. happy for an end to errata though.

i hope you guys keep the tools up! otherwise im afraid ill have to say adios

im looking forward to getting my 4e zine done, and i will always keep supporting 4e! im also looking forward to what other community support and products come out when the 'official' stuff stops

looks like well have to take it underground
So...

Preface:
I'll pretend to throw 4e a bone by pointing out today's questions are 4e related -- but after you read them, you'll notice that bone has been stripped of all meat and marrow.

1. We'll support 4e for as long as we support 4e. Because this is for the foreseeable future, we can guarantee that we already know exactly when we will not longer support 4e.

2. Clearly we believe we have more support for core reprints of past editions (with errata almost nobody knew existed) than for 4e.

3. We might not give you much warning, but now is a good time to subscribing to DDI on a much shorter-term basis, (since the magazines are getting pretty thin, and we're going to make them a bit thinner, and the VTT is already gone).

Personally, I don't need WotC to continue supporting 4e. (I want them to keep the tools up, and would pay for them if they did.) But the constant WotC slap in the face of anybody who likes 4e is getting a bit tedious.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
"Hi, 4e, how you doing?  Yeah ... not much going on with me, either.  Hey, here comes the bus!"

*shove*
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
My thoughts? It was obvious that they took a beating for last week's all-Dungeon Command Ro3. Now, like Seeker said, they throw 4e a bone. Still, they refuse to answer any really tough questions such as will the 4e Digital Tools remain in-place or not? And if not, then how long do we have them for? I just can't believe that 4e reprints and how long will errata continue are the top 4e related questions.

Oh, and based on their own criteria for what would get a reprint, I would expect to see a "Rules Cyclopedia" reprint very soon--but I expect backpedaling as soon as folks start using the stated criteria to ask for future reprints. 
Obviously they couldn't say when the tools would cut off, otherwise people would be asking for refunds for their DDI subs.  I wouldn't be surprised if people aren't already doing that.  I let my sub lapse, so I don't know what the current sub count is.

Honestly, I expected WotC to do better than lay a big steaming one out on 4E due to the way people perceived the last edition change (spurned former fans STILL P&M about the way WotC talked about 3.5E in the edition change), but apparently they didn't any lessons from last time.

Is there anyone out there that seriously is going "HOO BOY, glad they answered my ONLY questions about the future of 4E!"  They deliberately dodged the big questions on this one.  Pretty pathetic.  Considering just how disenfranchised the 4E fans are getting, they could have used this opportunity to show some goodwill.  Mearls stated they were aware that 4E fans weren't feeling the love on the AMA on Reddit, but apparently he didn't take that to heart.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
Clearly we believe we have more support for core reprints of past editions (with errata almost nobody knew existed) than for 4e.

I haven't actually read through my copies of the re-issued 1st Ed. set - is there a compiled summary of the errata for them floating around? I'd like to know just what they changed (without opening my re-issues and having to do a page-by-page comparison, anyway)...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Clearly we believe we have more support for core reprints of past editions (with errata almost nobody knew existed) than for 4e.

I haven't actually read through my copies of the re-issued 1st Ed. set - is there a compiled summary of the errata for them floating around? I'd like to know just what they changed (without opening my re-issues and having to do a page-by-page comparison, anyway)...

from what i understand, as far as the core 1st edition books go, they are not copies of the first print runs, but those of later printings that already contained errata. for example, the dm guide was changed several times over the late 70s and early 80 for later printings. errata like this appeared infrequently in dragon:

www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/dmg.ht...

kind of like the famed, legendary first printing of deities and demigods that had lovecraft stuff in it, but not in later editions. you can read the history of the 1e dmg print run here:

www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/dmg.ht...

anyway the point is, i think they already had 'errata' in them back in the day, so they didnt have to add any errata now

there is some compiled errata for unearthed arcana out there that appeared in dragon magazine that im pretty sure never made it into a reprint

www.acaeum.com/library/errata_ua.html

you can find a lot of info on that site!

A lot of my d&d knowledge came as a direct result of stumbling onto that site.

Oh, and based on their own criteria for what would get a reprint, I would expect to see a "Rules Cyclopedia" reprint very soon--but I expect backpedaling as soon as folks start using the stated criteria to ask for future reprints. 

Like... where's all this Seeker and Runepriest support we were promised?
they put up some seeker support today, and its good! better late than never, but it sure was late
And there was a little extra Runepriest material a couple of months back.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The whole thing makes me a bit sad.  Over the past 25 or so years I've been roleplaying (primarily D&D) - through Cyclopedia, 2nd, 3.5...4e had become my favorite edition because as the only one ever willing to put up with the role of DM in my normal play group, I found it the most in depth while still being easy to balance.  

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  

And I know my old books aren't going anywhere (unless something happened during the house construction) but I think in my area it will be harder to find the fill in players and nothing new will be released.

*crack knuckles* time to start home brewing 
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
The whole thing makes me a bit sad.  Over the past 25 or so years I've been roleplaying (primarily D&D) - through Cyclopedia, 2nd, 3.5...4e had become my favorite edition because as the only one ever willing to put up with the role of DM in my normal play group, I found it the most in depth while still being easy to balance.  

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  

And I know my old books aren't going anywhere (unless something happened during the house construction) but I think in my area it will be harder to find the fill in players and nothing new will be released.

*crack knuckles* time to start home brewing 

scottie, please check out the gto in my signature. if all goes well we will be playing not just 4e but older editions and other games over there online. dont despair! we need more dms; you could have a great campaign. i have one that is going on a year and a half. its a good community! we are just hoping the transition happens smoothly, but we will know soon enough.
Speaking of GTO, I registerd there and sent the email like that other thread suggested.  Was I supposed to get a reply back or am I just supposed to sit and wait and see what happens?
Speaking of GTO, I registerd there and sent the email like that other thread suggested.  Was I supposed to get a reply back or am I just supposed to sit and wait and see what happens?

youre on the list, so that means they got your email. so assuming they get the agreement, your tables will be ported over

www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic....

i would bookmark their forums, or check off to be notified when there are posts to stay on top of it. and cross your fingers...

youre on the list, so that means they got your email. so assuming they get the agreement, your tables will be ported over

www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic....

i would bookmark their forums, or check off to be notified when there are posts to stay on top of it. and cross your fingers...

Done.  Thanks. 
   Well, we can confirm a little closer that 5e is due out in 2013, likely in the first half.  Saying they won't print the core books for 4e has to mean 5e can't be too far off.

How do we demonstrate a demand for post-errata books?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
How do we demonstrate a demand for post-errata books?

Letters directly to Customer Service (email or in person, although the latter is better).

Wizards of the Coast LLC
ATTN: Customer Service
P.O.Box 707
Renton, WA 98057
Phone: (800) 324-6496
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
"Hi, 4e, how you doing?  Yeah ... not much going on with me, either.  Hey, here comes the bus!"

*shove*

Didn't that happen ages ago?

You know, with the release of Heros of the Fallen Lands?

EDIT:

And Heroes of Shadow.

And the Neverwinter books...
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.

*shove*

EDIT:

And Heroes of Shadow.

No, those are still 4e supplements.

*shove*

EDIT:

And Heroes of Shadow.

No, those are still 4e supplements.

Complete Psionic is better written than those books.

Yeah, I said it.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
Ignoring the subjectivity of that statement, it's irrelevant.  They're still 4e supplements.
In any case it is my hope that when WOTC takes down the online vesions of the 4e tools I hope that they will have some sort of download option. I would certainly pay a nominal fee for the character builder at least. Though I doubt that they will be so kind to us.

on another note I quite liked Heroes of the fallen lands. It gave some nice easy character creation options for newer player to the game. I will not discuss this further though, and will likey ignore any post criticizeing or asking why I have this point of view.
Ignoring the subjectivity of that statement, it's irrelevant.  They're still 4e supplements.

They were the pick up, where the announcment of 5e was the toss in front of the bus.  The later 4e.e books quality jump was just a false sense of reassurance.  "No, we're not going to throw you in front of the bus.  Honestly, we're not.  we're gong to do the things we promised, honest!"

*throw*