Menzoberranzan Excerpts - Drow Factions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Menzoberranzan Excerpts
Drow Factions

by Bart Carroll

In today's excerpt for Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue, we look at the chapter contents for Chapter 3: Drow Factions.

Talk about this article here.

Article Header Image
Hm... How are these supposed to be excerpts? They basically are the index of the book split in small parts :/
Again, nice artwork, but it'd be nice to get a preview that actually... I dunno... previews something.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

^Yes, they should do something like posting the first page of each chapter, which lists its contents (what they're currently doing), and a couple pages from it to show people how things have been elaborated. For example, today they could've given us a bit of a section regarding one of the factions, to illustrate the main idea and approach behind their development. If they keep posting excerpts along the line of the current ones, they'll be better off with just uploading the index of the book...

EDIT: I've just taken a look at the picture, and it is... unusual. The drow in the middle is being chased or something, but I wonder why she is dressed in such an unusual way, for a Dark Elf. Could it be that it has something to do with her being hunted...
EDIT: I've just taken a look at the picture, and it is... unusual. The drow in the middle is being chased or something, but I wonder why she is dressed in such an unusual way, for a Dark Elf. Could it be that it has something to do with her being hunted...

Looks like all the other drow there are from House Xorlarrin (all the male spellcasters on their flying discs, with only their leader being female). The woman in white is clearly a member of a rival house who has been captured. The expression on her face is amazing, IMO. Just the perfect mix of arrogant disdain of her captors and self-loathing rage at being in such an awkward position. You can see her thinking: "OK, this is embarassing. I'm having to kneel before this Xorlarrin b***h and her pathetic male cronies. But I'm not going to give any of them the satisfaction of actually looking at them. Pout."

But I'd expect nothing less from Eric Belisle.

I also like the outfits he's given the male drow spellcasters. We've gotten so used to female spellcasters dressing in outfits that show as much skin as possible while still technically qualifying as robes, and mysterious otherworldly breezes that just happen to make those robes billow up and show us their lovely legs. So it's a refreshing change to see some male spellcasters dressed in essentially the same way. A couple of them even appear to be bare-chested.

I don't think there's anything unusual about the captured woman's outfit, though. That's standard female noble attire among FR drow, IIRC from other artwork.

EDIT: OK, there is one teeny-tiny thing I'm not keen on. I don't like the Warhammer-esque conehead helmets.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Sign In to post comments