Hengeyokai fox power problems

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am currently creating a Hengeyokai character for a D&D campain that starts in a couple of days (with an utterly huge amount of help from my DM, who is basically doing it for me). The thing is, though, that I really, really, wanted to play the fox as close to the Japanese fairytales as I can and create a chaotic good trickster spirit with various mischief-making powers.

Unfortunately, All I seem to get with the current official version of the Hengeyokai is the power to shift between his true form and his false form (once a turn) using the Nature's Mask. This is a pretty cool premise for a character, but since that is the only power you seem to get the race seems pretty underwhelming, especially as a fey trickster spirit with shapeshifting powers. Without anything else, I really don't think it will amount to much in-game.

What I really need is to find an up-to-date list of Hengeyokai powers, if there is one available. The problem is, though, that all I can find are Homebrew ones such as from here, which my DM won't accept since he doesn't like making house-rules.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me of any new official Hengeyokai powers I could use?
I am currently creating a Hengeyokai character for a D&D campain that starts in a couple of days (with an utterly huge amount of help from my DM, who is basically doing it for me). The thing is, though, that I really, really, wanted to play the fox as close to the Japanese fairytales as I can and create a chaotic good trickster spirit with various mischief-making powers.

Unfortunately, All I seem to get with the current official version of the Hengeyokai is the power to shift between his true form and his false form (once a turn) using the Nature's Mask. This is a pretty cool premise for a character, but since that is the only power you seem to get the race seems pretty underwhelming, especially as a fey trickster spirit with shapeshifting powers. Without anything else, I really don't think it will amount to much in-game.

What I really need is to find an up-to-date list of Hengeyokai powers, if there is one available. The problem is, though, that all I can find are Homebrew ones such as from here, which my DM won't accept since he doesn't like making house-rules.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me of any new official Hengeyokai powers I could use?

Hengeyokai are still too new to have much in the way of powers devoted just to them. The best bet would be to make a Wizard or Bard, and flavor all of your spells as being abilities natural to your race.

Races, generally, don't get lots of powers.  Adding powers to your character is what classes, themes, and paragon paths are for.

So if you want your fox character to have more magical powers, your best bet is to either use a spellcasting class, or multiclass or hybrid into a spellcasting class.  Bard, wizard, sorcerer, and druid could all easily fit the theme you're going for.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
You could always go with the original Druid class.  It allows you to change your shape into that of a fox (or any other animal) and you have various powers which you can use while in that form and while not in that form. 

Hengeyokai are still too new to have much in the way of powers devoted just to them. The best bet would be to make a Wizard or Bard, and flavor all of your spells as being abilities natural to your race.

This, maybe even add Psion to the list, running a fox Hengeyokai myself, and while it is a paladin managed to get the right skills and powers to emulate a trickster character, personally recommend looking into fey cantrip if you don't go with the suggested classes, got decent use out of ghost sound myself.

Also never underestimate your ability to shift into a 'simple' fox, great for sneaking even when discovered and finding spaces/paths you wouldn't normally be able to use.
Nope, no hengeyokai racial powers yet; maybe I'll get a chance to write some in the future.

Since hengeyokai are fey creatures you could always take the fey cantrip feat to gain a wizard cantrip; if you get a lot of mileage out of cantrips like prestidigitation or mage hand.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

This.  Races don't have a lot of powers; that's what your class, theme and such are for.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If you want a shape shift, you can always multiclass druid at first level.  They can shape shift at will.
If anyone here knows anyone at Wizards I'd love to see something like (or better than) the aditional powers in the wiki I linked to (fox fire and an ability to create alternate fake forms in later levels).

I'm going to be a sorcerer if that helps. I'm not sure about the druid idea, I'll think about it. But, as a first level sorcerer, how should I go about optimising my build to create a spirit-fox trickster without compromising my abilities in battle? I went and googled cantrips and I have found some feats that, I have been told, let you get a couple, but I don't know any more about them. The feats themselves are Fey Cantrip and Wild Talent Master. Are there any others, or any better ones I could have?
A Chaos Sorcerer might be a good base to build on, has a few psychic powers with slides/attack penalties that can be refluffed at tricks, and access to bluff/diplomacy/insight which are the main trickster personality skills imo, add in a couple of fire/radiant powers for fox fire refluff and thats about it in terms of build basics
Considering that the 'D&D Wiki' is a repository (or perhaps suppository) of ridiculously broken homebrew garbage, nobody at WotC should look at it for any form of inspiration, except perhaps to say 'holy crap, let's never do anything like this'.
Well....that's just a home-brew site that's there to share ideas and give people inspiration. I wasn't suggesting they copy it verbatim, just that the homebrew version of the fey fox is a lot closer to the source fairytales than the (almost powerless) official one, and that the two additional powers on the wiki are not unreasonable. One lets you take on the shape (but none of the stats or powers, etc) of any medium-sized creature at level 11 in order to bluff. The other lets you do tricks with fey fire and daze an enemy for one round once per encounter. That's it (as far as I can see).

All I'm saying is that the official fey fox could do with being a bit closer to the creature of legend and that that is what I am trying to do with my character.

If anyone has any more, I'd love to hear about any feats, spells, and so on I could use to achive this. I don't have any soursebooks yet, so could you tell me roughly what they do and what I need to get them as well?

Two I have found are Fey Trickster and Wild Talent Master, but I'm not very clear on what they do, could someone explain them for me?
Searching the compendium shows fey trickster is gnome only so probably out unless houserules allow it which allows access to mage hand and prestidigitation as encounter powers.
Wild talent master grants 3 wild talent powers (psionic cantrips that allow you to for example set small things on fire or allows short range remote viewing that were introduced in the dark sun campaign guide)

A thing to remember with the Hengeyokai is that they are not just foxes so they can't tailor the race specifically to kitsune, would be nice to have feats to add more elements of classic myth to the various sub types but with some luck that will come out at some point before they completely shut down 4e development.

A thing to remember with the Hengeyokai is that they are not just foxes so they can't tailor the race specifically to kitsune, would be nice to have feats to add more elements of classic myth to the various sub types but with some luck that will come out at some point before they completely shut down 4e development.

Again ... class, theme, feat, items, paragon paths.  You can easily reflavor any/all of these to be innate abilities rather than learned.

Again ... class, theme, feat, items, paragon paths.  You can easily reflavor any/all of these to be innate abilities rather than learned.

Agree totally, was just saying it would be nice, personally refluff my characters divine challenge/sanction as fox fire
Sign In to post comments