Mono blue Mill

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm pretty new to the game, but I've liked the idea of a mill deck. My main goal is to lock down my opponents creatures and keep him from doing much damage while I mill him. Like I said, I'm pretty new, so any suggestions to this deck would be appreciated.

Lands

1    Reliquary Tower
22  Island

Creatures

1    Scroll Thief
1    Wingcrafter
2    Archaeomancer
2    Jace's Phantasm
2    Vedalken Entrancer
3    Alchemist's Apprentice
3    Fog Bank
1    Silver Myr

Spells

1    Sleep
1    Into the Void
1    Dreadwaters
1    Grasp of Phantoms
2    Divination
2    Switcheroo
4    Mind Sculpt

1    Essence Scatter
1    Lost in the Mist
1    Redirect
1    Turn Aside
1    Twisted Image
2    Unsummon

1    Ice Cage
1    Spectral Prison
1    Curse of the Bloody Tome
4    Jace's Erasure

Artifacts

1    Lux Cannon
1    Elixir of Immortality

So hopefully this deck doesn't suck, but if it does, please let me know why.

Thanks again
Why no Jace, Memory Adept?

Also Why so many 1x and 2x cards? Anything worth playing should be 3x or 4x. Time to re-evaluate the value of your spells.

I like Unsummon over Into The Void, Grasp of Phantoms and Lost In The Mist.
I also like Mana Leak over Essence Scatter, Lost In The Mist, and Turn Aside

I'd also say more Jace's Phantasm, less Archaeomancer. Vedalken Entrancer and Fog Bank over Alchemist's Apprentice. Delver of Secrets might work here. Maybe an efficient, mid level flyer.

This should get you started, at least.
New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference. Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does. Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does. I can autocard like this: [*c]Lightning Bolt[*/c] (without using the *'s) and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt. You can do the same thing to a decklist by using [*deck] and [*/deck] (again, without the *'s) at the begining and end of your list respectively. This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses. Here are some useful links to get you started: Building Your First Deck The Rule of Nine Magic: The Gathering Rules Magic: The Gathering Formats Tips & Tricks
192931349 wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher game in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old.
Thanks very much. I'm curious why Mana Leak is better than the other counters though. It seems to me like I want to garantee that a spell won't be cast, and Mana Leak won't do that.
Its because having a mana leak in hand is like having BOTH an essence scatter and a negate at the same time. Nothing feels worse than your opponent resolving a HUGE creature because the counter in your hand is a negate.

Onto the deck: My friend plays mill in standard whenever he can. He LOVES it as an archetype, so I see a lot of it. With standard rotating in Oct., we have been contemplating this:

I really like the entrancers, just because they have a big butt and provide consistant mill. They also encourage leaving all your mana up for counters, which is a HUGE deal in this kind of deck. I don't even know if mind sculpt is necessary, but it enables the Phantasm pretty fast giving you a secondary plan. Splashing green for fog often buys you the last few turns you need to win (or at least it does for him, in his current version).

The deck has a MASSIVE weakness to noncreature wincons, as with only 7 leaks they will probably resolve one at some time.
Yeah, like so many people have noted, missing Jace, Memory Adept
forumbrowser and I had a nice back-and-forth about a mill deck concept in a thread I started the other day, which might give you some ideas. Mine had the extra condition of being M13 only, which made it a lot more limited in some ways, but I think the thread ended up with some nice concepts being bounced around.

The deck that ended up being settled on was:

Creatures (12)
4x Archaeomancer
4x Fog Bank
4x Jace's Phantasm

Instant (9)
3x Downpour
2x Rewind
4x Unsummon

Sorcery (10)
4x Mind Sculpt
2x Spelltwine
2x Switcheroo
2x Index

Artifact (2)
2x Sands of Delirium

Planeswalker (3)
3x Jace, Memory Adept

Land (24)
Island

Of course with other sets involved you can replace a lot of the cards with ones that are similar but better, and add things like Snapcaster Mage and Delver of Secrets. For example, Archaeomancer is pretty good but if your goal is to straight-up mill your opponent, then Snapcaster is better since you can cast your Mind Sculpt for the same CMC as an Archaeomancer costs on its own.

It also might be a good call to get rid of the 2x Spelltwine that are in the deck. It's a pretty solid card, but might not be necessary. 2x Think Twice would probably be significantly better, or even removing 2x Index as well for another 2x Think Twice or Divination since you might run out of cards in your hand with the way the deck is currently structured.

A major weakness of this deck is likely to be a lack of counter spells, so swapping some stuff out in favour of Mana Leak and/or Dissipate is probably a good idea if they're not heavily creature based (since fog bank more or less takes care of a quick creature approach with a lack of removal.

Here's the link:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 
Player of "Magic the Gathering" since July 19th 2012. I have a LOT of catching up to do. XD Please help with my decks: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29322665/Need_Input_-_Blood_Artist_Sacrifice_Deck
I don't think Jace's Phantasm has a place in a mill deck. It does not help your mill plan at all, just rewarding you with an effecient guy one you have milled some cards. If you want to win by milling and not with damage, I would not run it.

Also, if you don't mind dipping into Mirrodin which will rotate out fairly soon in standard, I always liked Grindclock and Shriekhorn with proliferate like Throne of Geth and Trinket Mage with Voltaic Key.
I actually agree with that, 100%.

Jace's Phantasm is another card that is definitely a good throw-away from the deck.

It's efficient, but counters are (more often than not) even better at dealing with the real threats to the mill plan.

Mana Leak
Dissipate

Those are both very solid counter spells that you can use instead of Jace's Phantasm to great effect.  This will stop your mill cards from being countered too heavily, and will keep things like Fog Wall alive from destroys and sweeps. 
Player of "Magic the Gathering" since July 19th 2012. I have a LOT of catching up to do. XD Please help with my decks: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29322665/Need_Input_-_Blood_Artist_Sacrifice_Deck
If you have no format restrictions or monetary concerns, there's always Mana Drain Counterspell and Arcane Denial <-- especially since you want them drawing more cards.
Traumatize is immensely cheap to pick up these days, coming in at under £1, if not 49/50p. 

That will cleave your opponent's deck in twain there and then, though it's effectiveness depends entirely on how quickly you can play it. Even then, targetting a 30 card deck, it's 15 cards.

You've plenty of mill suggestions above, but to add a few: Chill of Foreboding is another effective deck thinner (though it hits you too, this won't matter, as you're milling them quicker than you'll deck out). Thought Scour is an effective cantrip, allowing you to remove two from their deck with the bonus of replacing itself.

Looking further afield, and in a bigger budget, the best mill card in blue in my opinion is Brain Freeze. If you play it response to a solitary spell of your opponent's, it's 6 cards from their deck for . This is it's basic level, it can easily strip 12+ if you play it in your own turn alongside cantrips. Follow it up after a Thought Scour and a Tome Scour and you've removed 16 cards from their deck for . That is not to be sniffed at, as you'll also draw into a new card.

I'd suggest Halimar Depths in this deck. This frees up a draw card slot for more mill or defenders. It counts as a quasi-Ponder, so you can count ahead of your turn to see how long it will take to mill your opponent.

One important rule to remember when playing mill, is that, at any time, you are entitled to know the number of cards remaining in your opponent's library. Whilst they do not have to count it and inform you themselves, if they decline, you can count (provided you do not shuffle or alter the card order in any way of course). This will give you a constant target to work towards, and give you some math to work out how long it will take you to win the game.

For creatures, Rotcrown Ghoul might be worth your time as a chump blocker your opponent is going to loathe attacking. Belltower Sphinx might be too expensive to cast for your tastes, but it has the added benefit of having Flying, so it can block a wider variety of creatures, and protect you against the large sort of monsters that can easily chomp through twenty life and get through your defenses.

If you want outright stall, then depending on budget, Storage Matrix/Propaganda/Ensnaring Bridge and Dissipation Field all offer some possibilities.

I really could go on, so I'll stop there, but feel free to take this with a pinch of salt - they're just ideas and thoughts!
increasing confusion is a good mill card if you have the mana to give it the potency
Mr. Hedron Crab wants to play!

Love that little guy /coochie cooooo
Throw in a few fetch lands and he's not too shabby.

Also, Increasing Confusion
Disperse (for those pesky planeswalkers)
Memory Erosion
Hive Mind + Paradigm Shift, right after you used Tormod's Crypt on them
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484

I loathe to do this...but...'thread won'!

I loathe to do this...but...'thread won'!

I agree it's a "rough" mill but that way he can reach his opponents no matter how many they are.

Before playing Hive Mind he can also Traumatize himself.

So, for the "smooth" options he can use the other posts. 
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
I'm going to dissagree that Jace's Phantasm doesn't fit into the deck.

There is some very good mill hate out there, stuff that can completely prevent you from winning that way ever.

Phantasm gives you an way to kill them.
Do those kinds of things go on the stack? The "to graveyard from anywhere = shuffle" ones, I mean.  If so, we could use Tormod's Crypt to snipe them.
Yes, they do. "When" goes on the stack, "if" is a replacement effect.

so Progenitus would hose the deck then. 
Made a post, then realized that it was wrong. Yeah, he'd screw things up pretty royally.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the game should be over before the opponent got 2 mana of each colour, and if not, your miller deck would be too slow to be viable to begin with.
Made a post, then realized that it was wrong. Yeah, he'd screw things up pretty royally.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the game should be over before the opponent got 2 mana of each colour, and if not, your miller deck would be too slow to be viable to begin with.

Pretty sure?  Elvish PiperPattern of RebirthQuicksilver AmuletJhoira of the GhituBraids, Conjurer Adept, Show and Tell, Hypergenesis

Ouch. That's a lot of cards that could screw the miller over.

Meh, as my sig says... I've been playing less than a week so I can't trust my intuitions, to say the least. GG.

Though exiling those enabler cards would still work, I guess. 
Extract is a fantastic card for just these occaisions.

Second to that, Sadistic Sacrament, but that's mono-black, naturaly.

Quash is just as good to remove multiple copies of threatening spells, and Rewind, Bone to Ash and the other four cost counters can help stave off counter mill. 
Jester's Cap if we're going that direction.
I guess all that this really comes down to is everything has a counter in some form or another, and that the person would have to be playing a deck specifically to deal with milling if they want to be able to use a lot of the options they have available.  

The biggest question would really be, would the miller deck you're designing in whatever format be fast enough to deal with other (common) decks in the same format, pre-sideboard, and with the inclusion of common sideboard cards for those decks?

If the milling deck you're designing will lose to most of the decks it's likely to encounter in whatever format you're trying to play it in, due to speed or lack of removal, or what have you... what can you do to fix it?

I don't really know how productive it is, in the end, to say "well this counters it, etc..." unless the cards we're talking about are likely to be used in the format you're playing.  If they are likely to be, then we can use that as a springboard to lead into sideboarding discussions for this deck to make it into some kind of hybrid or plug holes in your weak spots to certain cards or combos.
Really, deckbuilding comes down to basic idea, build around it, test it, does it work?  If no, use some suggestions you got from people here.  Did the suggestions help?  If no, go back to original, use another suggestion.  Repeat.  If it does work consistently, well hooray, time for building the next deck.
Format plays a strong part in that too, though, because the wider the format is the more difficult it is to tell if it will work consistently or not, since you can come up against such varied concepts as well.