7/24/2012 RC: "Exalting on a Budget"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This deck comes out to about $61 if you buy it in singles.

Half ($30) of that comes from the Isolated Chapels, which are about $8 apiece

Lingering Souls contribute about $8, as do the two Cathedrals of War.

Just some perspective.
I actually like this approach to budget deck building, even though I do not particularly like the WB exalted deck he worked on this week. But eh, it was exalted week.

The Back from the Brink/Misthollow Griffin deck is amazing, I gotta try that one out. Also, I think there was an error in Benjamin Wheeler's Storm deck, it currently has no way to cast those 2 Increasing Ambitions. Perhaps they were Increasing Vengeance?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
My friend recently made a W/B exalted deck so seeing this has given me some good ideas to pass on to him. 

I personally think Sorin is really good in a nonbudget version since Lifelink is very good with Exalted and the -2 can make your exalted army one your more willing to just send at the opponent. 

As for th budget list, I like. Sure $60 might be a bit much for some people but more than half comes from the mana base and as you said picking up duel lands is just something you should do since you often get a lot of mileage out of them.
I have been toying with a Seance/Misthollow Griffin control deck.

Seance is more efficent then back from the brink with the griffin, both in terms of casting cost and you don't have to pay to get the griffin out of the graveyard.

personally, i think writing articles about budget deck building this way is better, can't immagine how difficult it actually is since every player has his/her own definition of a "budget deck" and access to cards, not to mention fact that this just encourages players to actually go that extra mile by doing some research and building your own deck.  I think you can learn a lot about Magic from deck building alone and ReConstructed is that extra bit of help players need to learn on how to tweak decks.  Thanks Gavin for the awesome column
This deck comes out to about $61 if you buy it in singles.

Half ($30) of that comes from the Isolated Chapels, which are about $8 apiece

Lingering Souls contribute about $8, as do the two Cathedrals of War.

Just some perspective.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I liked this article, especially the fact he defined what "budget" meant to him in this context.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
"I refuse to compromise on mana, and neither[sic] should you."

I have my obligatory refusal-- a budget deck can either somewhat consistently present powerful plays, or very consistently present weak plays. The former involves eschewing mana, and building more carefully with your deck's colors, but offers the pay-off of being able to win a game of MtG. The latter can't do that. It has the mana, that's not its problem. Its problem is that even when it goes off, even when it gets its "god hand", it still sucks enough to get beat.

You are so lucky to see a rare instance of getting both of these out of a budget deck, because if you do, and the deck gets noticed-- it won't be budget for long. Budget builders know this, and that's why most of the submissions you got to this article don't mess with said lands. They often can't be included, and aren't necessary to include (we all know if we want to increase consistency, we replace our Plains with IChapel

This time I'll provide examples. Just give my Innistrad and Dark Ascension event decks a try and tell me that they are functionless and void due to its manabase:

// Lands

2 [DKA] Evolving Wilds
1 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor
8 [ISD] Forest (3)
8 [ISD] Island (3)
3 [ISD] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
1 [DKA] Ghoultree
2 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers
1 [SOM] Molten-Tail Masticore
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
2 [M12] Jace's Archivist
1 [ISD] Skaab Ruinator
4 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [ISD] Mindshrieker
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
2 [ISD] Spider Spawning
1 [MBS] Bonehoard
2 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
3 [ISD] Mulch
1 [DKA] Tracker's Instincts
3 [ISD] Dream Twist
1 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
1 [DKA] Increasing Confusion

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
SB: 1 [M12] Acidic Slime
SB: 2 [ISD] Armored Skaab
SB: 2 [M12] Mind Control
SB: 1 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 2 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
SB: 1 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 3 [NPH] Mental Misstep
SB: 2 [MBS] Steel Sabotage

// Lands

1 [DKA] Grim Backwoods
13 [ISD] Swamp (1)
11 [ISD] Forest (1)

// Creatures
1 [NPH] Sheoldred, Whispering One
2 [SOM] Carnifex Demon
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
1 [DKA] Vorapede
1 [SOM] Precursor Golem
1 [M12] Acidic Slime
1 [SOM] Skinrender
1 [NPH] Entomber Exarch
1 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
1 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
1 [AVR] Borderland Ranger
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
4 [DKA] Strangleroot Geist
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
1 [SOM] Perilous Myr
4 [M12] Llanowar Elves

// Spells
4 [NPH] Birthing Pod
1 [NPH] Dismember
1 [SOM] Mimic Vat
3 [DKA] Tragic Slip
1 [NPH] Despise

// Sideboard

1 [ISD] Hollowhenge Scavenger
1 [SOM] Acid Web Spider
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
2 [AVR] Blood Artist
1 [DKA] Crushing Vines
3 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
2 [NPH] Corrosive Gale
2 [AVR] Appetite for Brains
1 [M12] Autumn's Veil
1 [NPH] Despise

If I were making an exalted deck, I'd definitely use Sublime Archangel. Grants exalted to all those weenies and tokens and utility creatures that you might as well have because they're efficient and on-color even though they don't fit your theme, and double-exalted to anything that already has it. I opened one at the prerelease and it won me several games. But then, that's not remotely budget.
Now, that's how you build on a budget! I know the lands are expensive and lingering souls is a 2 usd uncommon, but still!
Gavin, I reaaaaally like your articles! And I think you've improved my deck-building skills. Thanks.
Great article, looking forward to more. Also, Zero to Sixty is intriguing. I'm a fiend for deck-building lol, every TCG I've played I go mental, and I doubt MtG will be any different for me. And it's always interesting to get more insight into the art.
I want to be Cultured.
"I refuse to compromise on mana, and neither should you."

Can you help me here Gavin? I love your articles, but this seems like a topic you should address: Why are constructed-playable lands almost exclusively printed at rare? Why am I unable to build a budget deck due to the land restrictions?
While the "No substitutions" statement is a good start, the fact is you can find some better cards that help in the metagame.  I once made a Jund deck that was missing a few of the cards, so I had to replace them.  while some of the replacements turned out to be worse, others turned out to allow my deck to fight things that the Jund deck at the time had trouble with.

Namely, the original deck had 3 Broodmate Dragons.  I only had 1 so I replaced 2 with a Dragon Broodmother and a Flameblast Dragon.  The Dragon Broodmother turned out not to work real well.  However, the Flameblast Dragon was really good.

Other changes included 2 Bloodchief Ascension replacing I don't remember what and didn't seem to want to change back and some Thought Hemorrhages in the sideboard to fight the one card that Jund didn't seem to be able to fight, Sphinx of Jwar Isle.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Why are constructed-playable lands almost exclusively printed at rare? Why am I unable to build a budget deck due to the land restrictions?

They're printed at rare because it makes Wizards money.

They occasionally try and claim it's for other reasons, but their arguments are always full of gaping holes. The truth is that it makes them money, and they keep getting away with doing it, so they're not going to change that any time soon.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I like the idea behind this Exaulted deck, but feel that there are ways to significantly improve it that adds a couple mythics.  Namely, I feel a couple of Angelic Destinies would greatly improve this deck.  They're cheap enough right now to keep it budget and until they rotate they could be a huge problem.  I know BB on turn 3 for Nighthawk followed by WW on turn 4 for Destiny might be a little rough, but if we've already included a playset of moderatley pricey lands, it would be something to do with that mana.  Mythic doesn't always mean expensive, Angelic Destiny I'm looking at you.  Also consider, it costs $5.00 to play FNM by me.  Even if you win a few packs, which I feel a deck like this could, you've made your money back.