Question about hero lab

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does it work nicely? Is it upto date? I mean, if I buy it I will have all updates available to 4E up to this moment?

Thanks
You will have to have a subscription to D&Di as well, I believe, since Hero Lab actually pulls the data from the online Rules Compendium when you update it.
It means it´s not a definite solution, When they pull the plug for the 4E CB hero lab will have no database other than the previously downloaded, which means even with hero lab, if I format my computer or simply buy a new one, I will lost the 4E content. It´s going to be hell playing 4E without these tools.
yes you will need a sub for DDI, at least to download all the content, not unlike when the old offline builder was active.

it is mostly up to date but does not have all the classes post essentials like from heros fo shadow, feywild, and elemental chaos (they have some but not all, and not sure about the heros of elemental chaos). they do have some of them but the developers have stated that some of the newer classes didn't mix well witht the existing program and they are working on building them in.

for example they don't have the new "skald" bard.
It means it´s not a definite solution, When they pull the plug for the 4E CB hero lab will have no database other than the previously downloaded, which means even with hero lab, if I format my computer or simply buy a new one, I will lost the 4E content. It´s going to be hell playing 4E without these tools.

If you have the books, you are all set.  You don't need a character builder.  Certainly, it's nice to have, but it is not necessary.
to be honest, at this point, having played every class and every tier, i can pretty much make pcs from memory. i agree that it would be way the hell better and easier with the tools, and i will gladly pay for them, but its not impossible at all. 2e is sprawled out worse than 4e imo and its still very playable.

i also am not sure you would lose everything if you got a new cpu either, it might save the data to your pc, so you could transfer it. what i dont get is how they are cool with this, but screwed masterplan. but im not a money-grubbing company, like wizards, that doesnt give a crap about its customers, so its hard to get inside their heads

If you have the books, you are all set.  You don't need a character builder.  Certainly, it's nice to have, but it is not necessary.

Oh.. gosh we grew so lazy with it ... Tongue Out

i really do hope and pray they stay up, but its not like if they take them down im just going to shrug and play 5e. on the contrary, i will never support wizards again if they take the tools down, though i admit i will buy tiles.

but i like 4e enough to play it without tools. and since i usually dm, i will always be able to find a game

i also am not sure you would lose everything if you got a new cpu either, it might save the data to your pc, so you could transfer it.

Yeah, if this is possible it´s going to be cool. I might give it a try and see if it works. As long as it´s possible to do PCs with books, I´m always busy with work and stuff, the digital tools are kind of a must have to play 4E and as long as I´m not planning to stop playing it anytime soon I´m concerned on having it covered.

BTW, are there any other software tha does the job of the Adventures Tools, like monster builder?

i also am not sure you would lose everything if you got a new cpu either, it might save the data to your pc, so you could transfer it.

Yeah, if this is possible it´s going to be cool. I might give it a try and see if it works.

i was told that the hero lab thing is a one time update from the compendium, so i assume that data is stored on your cpu somewhere. i know that like the dude mentioned above that there are some things that dont work perfectly, i cant recall if it was this or another thing that could do themes (yet)

as for the other part, check your pms

BTW, are there any other software tha does the job of the Adventures Tools, like monster builder?

power2ool.com/login/

i have heard people talk about this tool
ive used that a bit, i think thats good for certain situations

Yeah, if this is possible it´s going to be cool. I might give it a try and see if it works.

i was told that the hero lab thing is a one time update from the compendium, so i assume that data is stored on your cpu somewhere. i know that like the dude mentioned above that there are some things that dont work perfectly, i cant recall if it was this or another thing that could do themes (yet)

It is a one-time update from the compendium, but if the compendium gets an update, you will need to do the "one-time" update again.

It is a one-time update from the compendium, but if the compendium gets an update, you will need to do the "one-time" update again.

are you saying that it wont work without the compendium being up? like if they took down the compendium, it couldnt function? or are you saying if there is new data added to the compendium, you need to go back to the compendium to pull it in?
the latter
thats good! then its just a question of how much lead time they give us between telling us the tools are going down and shutting them off.
thats good! then its just a question of how much lead time they give us between telling us the tools are going down and shutting them off.

My guess is, the lead time we have will be the lead time we have before D&D Next goes live.  So, when we start seeing final dates for that, assume that is the same date for the existing D&Di to go down.

That's just my guess, though. 
Herolab can pull data from DDI. If you go this route, I would recommend making backups of the data in case they later pull the plug on DDI and something happens to your computer.

One issue with Herolab is that it doesn't appear that they have updated the ruleset since the early days of 4e, so you will notice that there is no support for themes. Now the program is flexible enough that you can add your own stuff if you are good with xml-editing. I'm not very good at all and I managed to get a theme tab added to the builder, but I didn't get the theme powers working correctly. Maybe someone more skilled than I can make it happen and post the modded files (the files that manage the rules/builder portion of the program don't contain any WotC IP so this shouldn't be an issue).
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Masterplan - www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/

BTW the monster builder on this program is awesome. I never used the online version, but masterplan was leaps and bounds ahead of the offline MB. It also has a trap builder, skill challenge builder, plot flowcharts, hyperlinked encyclopedia entries, homebrew/houserule stuff, all sorts of awesomeness. And it's free. It's one of those few programs that I can't recommend highly enough to do it justice. I still don't know WotC hasn't hired this guy.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

BTW the monster builder on this program is awesome. I never used the online version, but masterplan was leaps and bounds ahead of the offline MB. It also has a trap builder, skill challenge builder, plot flowcharts, hyperlinked encyclopedia entries, homebrew/houserule stuff, all sorts of awesomeness. And it's free. It's one of those few programs that I can't recommend highly enough to do it justice. I still don't know WotC hasn't hired this guy.

Thanks guys, I´ll check it out!
Sign In to post comments