How do you budget your addiction to Magic?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

How do you budget your addiction to Magic?

Just to clarify I don’t mean “OMG! That card cost £30, no way am I forking out for that!” because if needs be, I will fork out for “that” to hold a competitive deck in my hands.

But more to the point I am just getting back into magic and want to take it further than I did last time (leaving the kitchen table). How would it be best to get a great collection but minimize cost and waste?

Do you set aside money every time a paycheque comes in?

Do you buy full play sets of everything the moment a set gets released?

I find it interesting how different people collect and buy magic cards and how they go about building their collection, looking for hints and tips on the best way to start a competitive collection without the “Buy all da cardz! Spend all da monies!” attitude, even though I know that’s what some players love doing J

Hit me with any tips you have that could help me out!  

At this point I try to avoid spending money on just buying Magic product. So I spend money on FNMs, Prereleases, and Game Days, but I don't actually buy boosters or boxes and instead trade for what I need off of cards opened in packs.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Budget my addiction?  I don't.  I just keep buying cards until my wife suggests that I slow down for a while.  Then, once the water calms itself I go out and splurge again.  Even though I know it's less than ideal for completing decks, I still buy tons of booster packs.  ;)  Once in a while I stop to ask for forgiveness.

It doesn't hurt that I build all of her decks for her, and I'm careful not to indulge solely for my own benefit. 
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
Draft.  You usually end up with a lot of cards.  You also get to be inspired by a lot more cards and interactions.
Money has been tight as of late, so I've been limiting myself to either a booster pack or $4 or $5 dollars worth of singles a month. If there happens to be a single that excedes that price, I hold off on buying anything for a while untill I have enough.
I've been working very hard to limit my spending (other more important needs - ammo, food stocks, training, new baby, etc.), but have lucked into a local store willing to sell my old RPG stuff on consignment; they get a small cut and I turn the rest into Magic cards and entry fees and such.  So far, nearly $200 worth that only indirectly came from my pocket!

When I had more disposable funds, setting aside a bit from each paycheck helped immensely, as did/does buying specific cards for your decks, rather than just buying cards for its own sake (another issue of mine...).

Still, once every other month or so I head to the other game store across the bay, to cull their commons/uncommons boxes (.10 each) and their cheap rare box.  $30 there usually nets me all sorts of awesome.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Step 1: Win tournament
Step 2: Receive prize in form of store credit
Repeat.

Of course, I spent way too much money before I was good enough to win anything.
By not having a job that pays well enough for me to buy expensive cards Wink

But more seriously, I usually only buy 3-5 cards at a time, I rarely buy packs, and I plan out what cards I want to buy first.
I'm homeless. I go to Starbucks and charge a nickel to wipedown peoples' ipads. Then I use their Ipads to post on here. I have to be really quick becau- oh crap, time's up. Will post more in----

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Right now I have been on a good drafting run, so I haven't payed for cards in about a month. It takes dedication to save my prize support for the next draft though.

My secret is drafting until I can trade into most of the key pieces of a Standard legal deck. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Not playing standard helps.  Eternal formats let you build up your decks at your own pace based on what you have to spend without having to worry about replacing half the cards in them every year (usually sooner at the pace the standard meta can change).

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Play a budget deck, go to FNM, win, roll over prize packs into entry fee once school starts up again. Gonna be hard not just tearing open a box of Ravnica2.
I pretty much live off of store credit at this point.  With no steady income, I'm just glad I can rake up enough tournament wins to keep on playing without paying actual cash.  Both standard decks I possess were earned 90%+ through tournament winnings and selling cards.  Unfortunately, my decks aren't totally optimal because of this, but I can usually make up for that by outplaying my opponents.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
The same way I budget everything: carefully. After figuring out how much I can afford to spend on myself, I determine what percentage of that money I plan to spend on Magic, what sort of events I plan to attend, and which singles I would like to buy.
Works for me.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I try to enjoy Magic without spending money, like by talking about it on the forums or with Magic-playing friends IRL, or by going on You Make the Card (I have even designed my own sets, printed them out and played Sealed/Draft with my friends). I also play casually with friends using decks I already own, whether these are theme decks, duel decks, or decks I used to have in Standard that aren't legal any more. And I try out the demos of DotP.

When I do have to spend money, I try to minimise it. I will usually go to a prerelease if I really like the set that has come out, but that's only once every three months. (And sometimes you can find a friend who will pay your entry fee to the prerelease if they get to keep all the cards at the end). I won't regularly draft a set, I'll only try it once or twice (and then if I win packs I might draft with them).

When I play Constructed, I try to make budget decks. My friends used to have big collections of cards so I could get most of the commons, uncommons, and cheap rares from them for a good price. These days I use Magic Online, where prices for the not-top-tier cards can be up to 10x cheaper than physical cards. Being a budget deckbuildier means I have to accept that I'm not as likely to win as someone who doesn't have this restriction but I still try to use creativity, knowledge of the meta and play skill to do the best I can. If I was really in love with a particular Standard format / deck then I might take it more seriously but that hasn't happened yet. Or in some cases I play Constructed with borrowed cards / decks (this technique is even used among pros).
I'm homeless. I go to Starbucks and charge a nickel to wipedown peoples' ipads. Then I use their Ipads to post on here. I have to be really quick becau- oh crap, time's up. Will post more in----

:D very funny.

So far I have gathered that everyone of you go about slightly different ways of collecting from the all out obsession until your wife gives you the evil eyes, to the budget builder that just enjoys the game, but in a competitive sense and in relation to saving cash the one constant is the more you play the better it gets, as long as you win. (Just taking part never really counts does it :D )  I've never been very good at drafts so I'll have to sharpen up, most drafts where I live are based on the "Winner picks" rare spread, so I always get like 5-8th pick of the jank rares left over at the end of the day guess I'll have to start winning, from winning magic can basically become free/cheap.

I have an urge to save and buy one or two booster boxes when RtR comes out (No better feeling that opening a load of booster packs). But then the penny-pincher inside me is yelling at me to buy a common and uncommon play set off eBay and just pick off the rares I really need but without the satisfaction of ripping open a few mythics from a box.

Keep them coming, it’s getting funny and even more interesting

Peace Out

I recently bought a deck worth like 80€. Trying to keep my addiction in a leash :D I just can't resist getting those awesome cards in my hands <3

Also, I recently found out I just spent 2/3 of my money on Magic :I (No regrets!) 
Expensive singles or playsets are the only things that really eat up much cash for me. Drafting and prereleases are pretty cheap, especially with winnings. I don't play standard and only purchase cards if they're staples (like I bought/traded for 4 snapcasters for modern, same with fetches) or central to a deck (Glimpse for my elves in legacy). It seems like these cards generally hold value better if they're in an eternal format too, as long as nothing ban-esque happens, so you can always try and null your purchase if needed.
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Rather than budgeting what I spend, I have set goals and limit my spending to achieving those goals.  My goals are four of each common/uncommon and one of each rare/mythic from each set.  To do this I attend pre release, buy a fat pack and booster box on release, do the sealed league for each set and draft the set once a week at FNM.  At the end of the set I will buy up the sinlges I still need to finish the set.  I also buy the special sets, duel decks etc when they are released, also for my collection.

Cheers
Expensive singles or playsets are the only things that really eat up much cash for me. Drafting and prereleases are pretty cheap, especially with winnings. I don't play standard and only purchase cards if they're staples (like I bought/traded for 4 snapcasters for modern, same with fetches) or central to a deck (Glimpse for my elves in legacy). It seems like these cards generally hold value better if they're in an eternal format too, as long as nothing ban-esque happens, so you can always try and null your purchase if needed.

That’s a brilliant tip, if there are 3-5 + decks that you like the look of in the top tier of the format, and you’re equally happy with playing either of them. Get a hold of the deck with the most cross-format rares/mythics. Might be a bigger investment at the time but you'll get most of it back in the long run.

Never looked at it like that before, common sense really, that way you don't end up with standard/block rares that are useless to you when they rotate and lose value.

Well played Sir! Well played.

I tend to spend money left and right but I usually only drop a lot of cash on out-of-print stuff. I also like to host events at my house. For example, I've been trying to scrape about a thousand $ together to buy 1 box each of Urza's Saga, Legacy, and Destiny and hold a draft or sealed deck event.

EDIT: Prices seem to have gone up on urza block boxes since i last checked.  
By the way, the new core sets are a good way to practice Draft fundamentals. BREAD seldom stears you wrong, you don't need to research archtypes beforehand, so you can focus on balancing mana requirements, filling out your curve, and synergy.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I buy exactly one card a month. It has to be a card that can go in a few different  commander decks. Usually its a mythic. This month it was Thundermaw Hellkite.

I usually work on fridays, so I don't have much chance to spend money anyway. I do draft, trade for what I need, and I have won a few drafts and used the credit instead of packs to get stuff I wanted.
I live in Portland, Oregon. It's positively dangerous to my pocketbook. Almost any night of the week there are magic events going on at various card shops around town. The shop I visit most frequently runs both a draft and a standard event for FNM, then they run a $12 draft on saturdays. Another shop runs drafts on sundays. Theres other places with events on tuesdays, wednesday, and thursday... pretty much only day with nothing going on is monday.
I sold some of my video games, got a job, and refiananced my house.
I just try to spend less than I want to. When I was playing FNM each week I probably spent $12 a week on magic. I just bought one deck and modified it as new sets were released. So I probably spent $150 at the beginning of the season and that was it for big spending.

Now that I haven't played at FNM in 3 months I've spent a grand total of $0. 
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I sell used cards to kids in the streets to fund my habit.
I used to believe in budgets. But then I got a credit card. Wheeeee!
I want to be Cultured.

Yes. That reminds me of when I started and I had to budget and spend and squeeze every dollar I could out of buying cards. I would meticulously search gatherer for exactly the right cards for a deck and not buy until I was really sure those were the cards I wanted. Now it's like, oh I kind of need this card so I'll buy 4.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Design decks that cost less than five euro's and then proceed to kick people's expensive card piles in the nuts. But I just play casual.
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
My original budget was $30 per deck. I made some nasty decks though. The problem was after I become better at magic I realized how boring and linear most of them were. Even so they were a blast back in the day.
Almost half of my collection from early 90's was free. Now i buy intro packs and booster packs to see how i like the new sets they release. And i leave it at that for awhile. I will build my old cards into the new intro packs.  I play casual so i do not need to build a custom deck from card to card. So this helps keep my compulsive spending habits under control.
Step 1: Win tournament
Step 2: Receive prize in form of store credit
Repeat.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I buy a few singles when sets come out. 3 packs just cuz. Then occasionally I'll budget build an edh deck and improve over time based on how it plays.

3DH4LIF3

I sell used cards to kids in the streets to fund my habit.

This sounds  like a hood thing! LOL Yo main I got them spells you need playa. LOL great stuff.
haha....selling cards to the kids on the street....
"I gotta get my fix man, I need a new card.....come on..look at this sweet foil, you know you want it....I'll give you a special discount"

I should budget....we spent hundreds of dollars this pay period on MTG. It is ridiculous, but having two people in the same home that play MTG can be pricey lol. I am the financial manager of the house, but I know the weakness we both have for this so I do online transfers into our savings account every pay period to ensure we don't spend too much and I try to keep the bank card on me at all times because he spends money like no other. I am the cheap one that feels bad about spending a lot and I usually say no to expenses.

So I suppose I just exert a level of control over it and keep myself in check because I like buying new cards as well.
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Yes. That reminds me of when I started and I had to budget and spend and squeeze every dollar I could out of buying cards. I would meticulously search gatherer for exactly the right cards for a deck and not buy until I was really sure those were the cards I wanted. Now it's like, oh I kind of need this card so I'll buy 4.

I hear you man. I actually am exactly the same. I should reign it in really but I really love ordering cards. I don't know exactly when they'll get there, I always just spunk out on a set of stuff, and when I get home from work it's like I got a present! From me to me!
I want to be Cultured.

Run for office?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt