A Hairless Thoctar Contest: Charged Shot

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm bored. Let's have a contest.

Here's how it works:

I'm going to show you a card design. Now here's the important part, the next person who posts comments about what they think about the card, and then designs another card using the same name I did.

Then the next person does the same, and so on.

So basically, we're all designing based on the card's name.

Tallying votes is frakking exhausting, so I'm only going to do a JUDGE'S VOTE this time.
Two days from now, I'm going to pick my top 3 favorites that make the best use of the card name.

3rd place: +10 BRAGGING RIGHTS
2nd place: +20 BRAGGING RIGHTS
1st place: +30 BRAGGING RIGHTS

Without further ado, here's my design.

Charged Shot <<<<< This is the name you design around

Enchantment
Rare
Instant spells you cast cost less to cast.
You may only cast instants when you could cast a sorcery.
"Well worth the wait."

Get started!
Can you do better?!
Now the next person who posts; tell me what you like about my design. Or what you hate about it. Or what you'd do differently. Whatever.

And then that same poster makes a card using the name "CHARGED SHOT".

Then the person after them does the same.

And the next one, and the next one, and the next one.
Now I'm a bit new to Magic, so I don't know if this is really valid criticism, but it seems kinda pointless, as most/all instants I've seen have only colored mana in their cost- especially cool multicolored ones like Terminate/Lightning Helix.. In other words, looks like removal restriction minus any actual effect.

Now, here's mine. I think it's a legitimate card, minus the fact that I'm not sure if it has a decent MC.

Charged Shot
Enchantment

If an instant you control would deal damage to a creature, it deals twice that much damage instead.

You may not play instants with "destroy" effects. 

There's no kill like overkill.
I don't like your charged shot. The name doesn't sound like an enchantment at all to me, and the effect is not really red. It's not very exciting but it will definitely allow some degenerate comboes.

Charged Shot
Instant
Multikicker
Charged Shot deals 2 damage plus the number of times it was kicked to target creature or player.
"Kame-hame-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Edit: Sarnath'd

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Nice card, though it's too much like Blaze.

Charged Shot

Enchantment

: Put a charge counter on ~.

Sacrifice ~: ~ deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on it to target creature or player.

"'Dormant' is just another word for 'We haven't seen it erupt.'"
-Koth of the Hammer
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">Feninx: Elegant, Balanced (though I'd probably rather it only targeted creatures at 3 damage), and Interesting. I like your design.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">Margerald: The not letting you play destroy spells isn't a necessary drawback, it makes the card less fun for no real reason. i'm not sure exactly how abusable this card is, but it's possible that in the right deck it'll be too strong. I want to say that since it doesn't do anything on it's own it should be fine, though.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />
Bayfalconer: Fun card! I like how the potential for 20 damage is right out there in the open, that seems like something johnny or newer players would like.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">Charged Shoterdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px"> -
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:underline">Instant (R)
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">~ can't be countered and ignores hexproof while targetting.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">~ deals 10 damage to target creature. that creature can't be regenerated.
I like the idea for multi-kicker as it represents "charging mah lazers" well, but I think that that kind of build up should maybe work more like a Lightning Storm.

Charged Shot
Instant
(Charged Shot is red)
Suspend 10—(Rather than cast this card from your hand, you may pay  and exile it with ten time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Deal 20 damage to target player.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Noticing about Five other people looking at this forum, I will make my card and then comment on the person above me. So as to not ninja or be ninja'd.

Azure, that is awesome. Your concept of "Charged" is just brilliant. It does scare me, though. Opening hand: timecrafting and this? Pretty good, but in late game, it is a super pointless empty draw. So I do think it somewhat balanced by that. Reminds me of a 'for players' Shivan Meteor, kinda. Nicely done.

Charged Shot
Instant
Charged Shot deals 3 damage to target creature.
That creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

"Some drink bean-brew, others ingest Phetam root. Me? I prefer to wake up with a little lightning." - Ibos, Goblin Berserker

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
@Hairless Thoctar: Too good, but boring.

Margerald:  Effect has been done before

Charged Shot gives me the idea that it's a spell that has been given time to charge, sooooo.

Charged Shot 
Enchantment
Whenever an Instant or Sorcery would deal damage to a player or creature, that spell's controller may exile it with 1 time counter on it and the spell gains Suspend. If they do, that spell gains "If this spell would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals 2 additional damage."
I think I'm right in saying you can stack the triggers so that the +1/+1 doesn't apply until after the creature is dead, and can't help thinking its other use of allowing a fat creature to deal an extra 1 damage is somewhat fringe. I think what it seems to do is different enough to what it actually does that a lot of people wouldn't find it fun.

Shot (n): Small metal balls used as ammunition.

Charged Shot 
Artifact-Ammo

Loaded Equipment has "Equipped creature has : Deal 1 damage to target creature or player".
Load   (: Attach to target equipment you control. Load only as a sorcery. This card enters the battlefield unattached and stays on the battlefield if the equipment leaves.)
Bayfalconer: Fun card! I like how the potential for 20 damage is right out there in the open, that seems like something johnny or newer players would like.

I actually designed it for Timmy more than Johnny, but yeah.

The flavor text quote even gives away a potential combo.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I actually designed it for Timmy more than Johnny, but yeah.

The flavor text quote even gives away a potential combo.

Well, compare it to Helix Pinnacle for power level. Your card starts as Blaze for a mono-red deck and only gets bigger.

@Turnip: Equipment Equipment? That is really fringe and a pretty weak effect on top of that. Unplayable

Charged Shot
Enchantment
Whenever an instant or sorcery you control deals damage to a creature or player, put a charge counter on Charged Shot.
Sacrifice Charged Shot: Charged Shot deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on it to target creature or player.

"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Charged Shot
Sorcery
If you have no cards in hand, draw seven cards, then discard a card at random for each Mountain you control. Each opponent may draw a card at the beginning of his or her next draw step.
“I’m gonna take a shot boss— an charge it to my tab, kay?!~ :3”

—Sunallé, Otarian Barkeep

[ A technical design. Instead of going the burn path like everyone else seems to have, I wanted to take a shot at something a bit more unique. Red generally lacks card advantage to the point that it suffers many possible monored strategies. Of course there are lots of monored themes that are very powerful, but the thing is, all those themes are played out. A solid design like this can open up potential for new themes and the utility of other designs that become playable with such support.

Since the intention here is to be a monored exclusive spell, I applied a very color heavy cost. This should really enforce a strict monored usage, because three solid red mana can be a far cry for most multicolor themes to make use of it. This kind of color heavy cost supports the discard clause, ensuring there will be Mountains to discard toward, and thus balancing out the advantage in mid to late game situations.

Elsewhere Flask is great combo matera to get around the drawback though. Which I find to be a rather neat flavor accent because a flask is synonymous with alcohol. I'm just not sure exactly how to relate it to charging a shot on your tab. Maybe by using the flask filled with water to "replace" the shot you took?~ :3

Matching the ability to the concept, you only tab a shot when you're broke. So an empty hand relates to an empty pocket. A shot can be really refreshing to those who enjoy the buzz, so it boosts you back up to full power. This being related to the full power of a full hand. I guess in real life the Mountains should net you a bonus card each instead of drain you, because all those burly mountain men are sure to buy the pretty barkeep a shot. But there has to be some counterbalance to the ability since it's far too unbalanced without one. And so they drain you one each instead. I guess at best, this could be related to a packed bar and the boss being angry that you're sucking up all the juice where there are so many customers to be served. And so, the effect of knowing your boss is angry with you all night could be enough to kill your buzz some. For the last concept of the design, your boss might be the one who pays you, but he's more like your opponent than anything because he's always making an unfair profit off your labor. So the opponent draws clause is related to paying off your tab.

As a final note, the render could use a more stylish name and the flavor text I applied above would fit the render because it throws the text off-center, so new flavor text would be needed as well. One of the benefits to text designs is you're not limited by the elements of graphic appeal (like neat centered text).
]

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Comments? 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Doctor: A lot like Shrine of Burning Rage. I mean I know there are differences, but the way it would get played would be the same.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Doctor: A lot like Shrine of Burning Rage. I mean I know there are differences, but the way it would get played would be the same.

Yeah, I wasn't around when that was printed. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I get it. Im not sure its not broken as burn decks could keep their land count low and get a fair amount of cards, but I think its prolly ok. I'm not in love with it because it isn't what you'd expect for that name.

Charged Shot
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep remove half the charge counters from ~, rounded down.
Remove all charge counters from ~ and sacrifice it: ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of counters removed this way. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a Sorcery.
I changed the flavor-text for the render of charged shot in my MSE file to...

“A shot boss—charge it to my tab, kay?”

—Sunallé of the Divine Beauty

...this fixed the text and made it even. Now the render looks pretty good, 'cept I have no artwork to match it.

[ I really loved the character name I came up with so I ran with it and created a design around her.
It's a transform design, but I don't have the transform template so just please bear with me. To fit the new flavor-text, I changed her from being a barkeep to being a woman of nobility. She's renowned for her beauty and many believe her to be a goddess incarnate. If your love for her is true, and you pour your heart out to her, your love for her can transform her into an angel of war whose heart is pure and true. As this angel of war, she's very controlled and not clouded by unstable emotions, but being an angel of war makes her part red. To represent the concept of pure heartedness and mercy, restriction is her main tactic. Her ultimate can be used to represent the aggressive finisher. ]

@ GM_Champion

Please read this thread's orignal post. The point of this thread is critique the previous poster's card and then create a card of your own card named Charged Shot specifically. If you wish to do something different, please start a new thread for it.

Furthermore, I would like ask you (and everyone for that matter) not to use bright colors for text. Brightly colored text is a bit difficult for me to read.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

Charged Shot
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep remove half the charge counters from ~, rounded down.
Remove all charge counters from ~ and sacrifice it: ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of counters removed this way. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a Sorcery.

I like the design, but have a few minor tweaks. The first ability, for the sake of MtgO, should be ":Xm:: Put X charge counters on ~.", like on Helix Pinnacle. And the sacrifice could be worded: "Sacrifice ~: ~ deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on it to target creature or player." Like Shrine of Burning Rage.

For my design, I'm showcasing a new keyword, my attempt at a fixed Affinity.

Charged Shot -
Sorcery
Mountainbond (Any Mountain you tap to pay for this spell produces an addition .)
Charged Shot deals damage to target creature equal to the number of lands you control.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
For my design, I'm showcasing a new keyword, my attempt at a fixed Affinity.

Charged Shot -
Sorcery
Mountainbond (Any Mountain you tap to pay for this spell produces an addition .)
Charged Shot deals damage to target creature equal to the number of lands you control.

I like the direction of affinity you are going. I edited my post because I misread yours. I thought it was creature or player. but seeing it is only creature I really like your card.

I am going to go much more traditional!

Charged Shot - (R)
Instant
Kicker (you may pay an additional as you cast this spell)
Charged Shot deals 3 damage to target creature or player
If Charged Shot was kicked it deals 10 damage as you chose among any number of creatures and/or players. Damage dealt this way can not be prevented.
Sorry, I got a little carried away and just put down my own with the details. I felt the character design was important to the concept (it shows who's saying it). I'll go on and use this post to provide my thoughts on the original design. Since they already commented on Demento's design, I'll just comment on the original one to keep things moving.

It's a very solid monored enchantment. Instants are generally the less powerful between the to though, but I think in the overworld of content there is only one that comes to mind, Searing Wind. Just check this list. It's got flavor, and it's great, I love it! The potential is still rather limited when working with most instants. Maybe in multicolor there is some extra potential, but I'm talking about monored. In red, sorcery is where all the power is at. If you could switch it up to work with those, that would be the best you could do. Just check out Slice and Dice, at four mana it's pretty much red Wrath of God. Most of the time there aren't many creatures over 4 toughness. Anything left you could ping and bring down.

You could take it to the next level by allowing it to reduce colored cost by at least one. That's a very advanced design space that you could use to your advantage to bring out some extra potential. If you'll only pack the deck with expensive spells, it might not matter enough to do that. So if that's what you had in mind, disregarding this suggestion is no problem. Checking out Slice and Dice, if reduced the cost of abilities on spells, that's another advanced design space you could use toward your advantage.

Charged Shot - (R)
Instant
Kicker (you may pay an additional as you cast this spell)
Charged Shot deals 3 damage to target creature or player
If Charged Shot was kicked it deals 10 damage as you chose among any number of creatures and/or players. Damage dealt this way can not be prevented.

that's pretty cool. It's just lightning bolts 5-8, which is already good, but in EDH, this can eventually turn into a board sweeper. I like the design, but i think it shoudl cost about 1 to 2 more.

here's my attempt:

Charged shot
instant
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
If another spell you played this turn dealt damage, instead ~ deals 5 damage, and that damage can't be prevented.  
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Pain is a sensation. Sensations are to be enjoyed. I am in ecstasy.
Sorry, I got a little carried away and just put down my own with the details.

Ha, ha. I know exactly what you mean. It is quite easy to get swept up in the moment when doing something that you love. And thank you for darkening up that text so I can read it.

And since I am in this thread, I might as well participate, yes?

Charged shot
instant
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
If another spell you played this turn dealt damage, instead ~ deals 5 damage, and that damage can't be prevented.

Amazing card is amazing. That is all I have to say about that.

Charged Shot

Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on Charged Shot.
If an an activated ability you control would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals that much damage plus X to that creature or player instead, where X is the number of charge counters on Charged Shot.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

that's pretty cool. It's just lightning bolts 5-8, which is already good, but in EDH, this can eventually turn into a board sweeper. I like the design, but i think it shoudl cost about 1 to 2 more.

10 mana for a sweeper that can still be countered isn't all that good. Plus it isn't garanteed sweep. It would more or less be used as finisher. And for 10 mana still isn't outstanding. Anyways thanks
@Gem:
I love the concept. Would feel better if the name were twisted slightly though, might also feel better as an artifact.

Charged Shot | | Instant | Common
~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
~ deals 5 damage to that creature or player instead if you have cast at least three blue spells this turn.
After being blue for so long, the mage was desperate to release his fustration.

Would it be safe to lower the requirement to two spells?
@Gem:
I love the concept. Would feel better if the name were twisted slightly though, might also feel better as an artifact.

Charged Shot | | Instant | Common
~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
~ deals 5 damage to that creature or player instead if you have cast at least three blue spells this turn.
After being blue for so long, the mage was desperate to release his fustration.

Would it be safe to lower the requirement to two spells?

I think reducing it to two spells would be fine. I think the first effect could also deal 2 damage instead. I like the concept behind this.

=====xxxxx=====

Charged Shot --
Artifact - Equipment (U)

Equipped creature doesn't untap during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if equipped creature is tapped, put a charge counter on Charged Shot.
:T:, untap equipped creature, remove all charge counters from Charged Shot: Charged Shot deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of charge counters removed this way.
Equip
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I like the equipment, but it could be a red Aura and have more of a red/burn feel to it imo.  Still use the charge counters, but maybe the creature has to stay tapped in order to charge up.  Oh, just noticed... it would be a little awkward to tap your equipped creature to start charging up.  Maybe have the tap ability start the charging, and doesn't untap during the untap step.  Pay a fixed amount with the untap symbol to shoot them?

Charged Shot (red spell)
Sorcery - Rare

~ can only be cast from exile.

Suspend 2 - (standard suspend text)

~ deals X damage to target player or creature, where X is the number of lands you control.  Exile ~ with 2 time counters on it.

"Obligatory Dragonball-Z quote."
@Earthdawn: I really like the idea of using suspend to "charge" the attack, and using the number of lands in play is a good way to increase it's effect while it's exiled. I came up with a similar idea that uses a different charging mechanic.

Charged Shot

Instant
~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is 3 plus the number of charge counters that were on ~ when the last time counter was removed.
Suspend 1 --
If you would remove a time counter from ~, you may put a charge counter on it instead.
: Remove a time counter from ~.
"Begin energy transfer! Power to full! More! Give me more Power!"

EDIT: Changed the card to make it more interactive and less like "Shrine of Burning Rage, but in exile."
Charged Shot
Instant
~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is 3 plus the number of charge counters that were on ~ when the last time counter was removed.
Suspend 1 --
If you would remove a time counter from ~, you may put a charge counter on it instead.
: Remove a time counter from ~.
"Begin energy transfer! Power to full! More! Give me more Power!"

EDIT: Changed the card to make it more interactive and less like "Shrine of Burning Rage, but in exile."

This is slightly crazy. I really like the idea but I'm not too keen on the execution, two sets of counters on the same permanent is agaisnt NWO. I like the flavour text.

Perhaps, the most obvious execution:

Charged Shot

Instant

As an additional cost to ~, you may remove any number of charge counters from any number of permanents you control.
~ deals X damage to target creature or player where X is the number of charge counters removed by ~ plus two.

"You have done the Goblin race a great service Nix, we now know what to do with all these 'things' we've collected!"
Thump, Goblin Commander

Cheers, vlord.
Contest is over!

I'm going to look through the entries and pick out my top favorites.
I've made my decisions!

I realize that there were several of you who submitted designs that make use of the suspend mechanic, and I want to apologize to all of you; I'm just not digging it. Suspend was layed out in TSP block a spell getting stuck in wibbly-wobbly time magic, and it's really hard for me to divorce myself from that idea. When I think of "Charged Shot", I'm imagining Mega Man or Samus holding back and letting loose a massive fireball, not that episode of Zim where an explosion got caught in slow-mo.

I digress.

Third place (+10 BRAGGING RIGHTS):

MagicPablo666

I've personally designed a bunch of "damage this guy and pump him effects". I think it's a really interesting design space, and something that would give red more strategic depth, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I also like how it makes use of the name in a way that I honestly was not expecting.

My only problem with the card is that I honestly feel the pump could afford to be bigger.

Second place (+20 BRAGGING RIGHTS):

SaprolangToken

This card has two things going for it; it's both powerful and grokkable. It's really absurd with red's various one and two mana damage spells, but "weak" enough as a top deck, that I think it's reasonable enough to print. It's also fairly resonant "Beating you up got me pumped up, so I'm going to beat you up so more! Grerhefukbhwger!!!" A very nice card.

First place (+30 BRAGGING RIGHTS):

Gemstone386

I feel like this is a much more intuitive execution of an enchantment named "Charged Shot" than my own. I am a bit perplexed by this card not boosting your spells and only your abilities, but that could very well be a development issue. Of all the cards submitted, to me, this feels the most like one named "Charged Shot".

Also, what did you all think of the "critique the person ahead" of you format?

I just did a contest a little before this one, and was too worn out to bother giving everyone the criticism they deserve, and this seemed like a very straightforward way for everyone to get some input on their designs.
Congrats to all the winners! Thanks for the contest. I really enjoyed the design I came up with.

What I mean is, thanks for being the inspiration behind it.