Need some help for a Campaign

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's my first time DMing and I got a decent group together (My brothers and three friends). I was asking them if they would like a normal setting, such as Underdark or Ebberon, or something new. After a three hour discussion, the agreement settled on a campaign based off of the world of Sarnaut from the game Allods Online. While most of the things I've already found their DnD equivalent, as I'd rather use some of the rules already there and don't feel like making anything from scratch yet as it's my first DMing experience, I'm stuck on a few things. For most of the things, I'm simply changing the names and background but using the basic rules for the race/class I'm using to represent them.

NOTE: We're using 4e, since I'm the only one in the group with 3.5e books.

Races:

Human - In Allods Online, the Human race is divided between to nations. The Kanians and the Xadaganians. The Kanian are more traditional fantasy, so they fit in perfectly with the standard Human race in DnD. However, the Xadaganians are more about steampunk and the advancement of technology and science. The Xadaganian Empire is very proud of their army and almost every member of the Empire has served in the military at some point in their life. I was wandering if their is a way to show the difference between the Kanians and Xadaganians using rules that are already in the game.

Arisen - In Allods Online, there is a race of 'undead' called the Arisen. They are allies of the Xadaganians, along with the Orcs, and have an affinity for Magic, in the game lore they're considered the most magically gifted race in all of Sarnaut. They are a combination of Machine and Undead. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a race already in DnD that is close enough that I can make them into the Arisen by just renaming a few things.

Orcs - Using the Half-Orcs with some minor tweaks.

Elves - Using basic/stander Elves.

Gibberlings - Since they seem to be Sarnaut's answer to Halflings, I chose Halflings.

Classes:

Scout - The Scout class in Allods Online fullfills the roles of both the Rogue and the Ranger in DnD. Was wondering if there is a similar class already in DnD or if there is a balanced way to mix the two.

Warden - Besides it's source being Primal, I can't find anything much to compare it to in DnD. The Warden class has minor healing spells and mostly focusses on weather/storm/lightning type spells. They also have a pet, unique to each race. Kanian Wardens have a pet Bear, Gibberlings have a pet Large Chipmunk thing and Orc Wardens have goblins as their pets. The pets are in control of themselves, but the Warden can tell the pets to use special abilities. Suggestions?

Summoner - Warlock

Healer - Cleric

Mage - Wizard

Paladin - Paladin

Psionicist - Psion

Warrior - Fighter

Bard - Bard
You haven't said what the scout does that makes it between a rogue and a ranger.  But if you wanted a class, I would go with just a plain old rogue.  Rogues have powers that use ranged weapons.
Your warden sounds like 4e wardens, but with a healer multiclass.  As for pet...Not much out there for that.  Maybe a shaman who focuses on attack powers instead of healing powers?  Then the pet would be the spirit companion.
The pet stuff is not really something 4e revolves around.  But if you want, you could make the pet a separate character that the pc runs.  Druids are good at playing the part here.
3.5 edition Complete Adventurer has a scout that seems very much a cross between ranger/thief. It has a skirmish ability that works similar to sneak attack that is usable whenever the scout has made a move before attacking... sort of a hit-and-run tactic. They can also find traps... good when fighting goblins and orcs and trap-door spiders and the like.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
The Warden sounds like Druid would work well (because of the spell selections) the companion could be a substitute for his animal companion. Cleric would also work well, using a domain from the Forgotten Realms book Lightning or Storm and then have the minion as an NPC (I play 3.5e so I think in those terms).
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
You haven't said what the scout does that makes it between a rogue and a ranger.  But if you wanted a class, I would go with just a plain old rogue.  Rogues have powers that use ranged weapons.

Right, sorry.

The Scout is good with both stealth, laying down traps, utilizing poisons and the use of a bow, their prefered weapon being the Crossbow/Repeater Crossbow. Their job, lorewise, is to get behind enemy lines, take out key targets (if needed) and scout the territory before making it back to the rest of the group.
Sounds like a rogue.
In terms of the Arisen, are you more interested in them being constructs or undead (I am unaware of a race that is both as things stand)?

If your more interested in the functioning like constructs, take a look at the warforged or shardminds, warforged can be a Con/Int race, and shardmind start off with Int and a choice between Cha and Wis.

There are a couple "undead" races prsented in Heroes of Shadow, the revenant and vryloka but neither race is really geared towards most arcane classes.
Arisen: use warforged.  Christopher Perkins is doing something like this in his hombrew campaign setting where warforged are made with the trapped souls of the dead.
Sign In to post comments