dungeon command boosters

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
The starter sets for dungeon command are great, but you probably only want one. Because to get more you have to buy another complete set. What you should do is make booster sets, but don't make them randomized because that'll make a lot of people stop buying it because they have to spend so much money just to get decent models. You should make them in packs of 3-5 guys of a similar type like orcs, fighters, or mounted people (or  combine it all into mounted orc fighters Smile). Looking forward to see what you do cause I love! this game.
I'm hoping to see a number of "boosters" for this game:

- Small, three- to six-count packs of minis, based around a theme: maybe some more drow with a yochlol, or a goblin-themed pack, or even the same minis that appear in other starters.  Hell, I could even go for more "PC" style warbands with other color schemes, or even themed around organizations like the Harpers.  I liked how Crimson Skies did this, where I could see exactly what I was getting.  These will also be good for people who want to supplement their board game minis and those who want to buy minis just for the RPG.

- Booster packs of Order cards.  Since 5E is on the way, I am less inclined to buy Fortune cards than I was before the 5E announcement.  I would most likely pick up order card boosters to supplement my decks without having to buy multiple starters.

- Map tile boosters.  Sets of map tiles for the price of current Dungeon Tiles sets would likely do well.  I noticed that Catalyst switched over to a gameboard-style map with the new edition of Battletech, and, rather than selling poster map packs like FASA before, they're selling these more durable boards.  Since these are also good for the RPG, a secondary market might be found in the RPG-only players, as well.
With the Faction Packs being expensive as they are, I think boosters would be a great way to get into the Market...I can see the booster being something like this...

$20
4 - 5 Painted Random Minis (4 if one is a Large)
Matching Creature cards
10 Order cards
1 Large Map tile
1 Small Map tile

The Packs wouldn't be sorted by types (Basiclly, no packs supporting a single type) and would give a mix of the starting sets aswell as new mini's. Same with the Orders and Map tiles.

My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
With the Faction Packs being expensive as they are, I think boosters would be a great way to get into the Market...I can see the booster being something like this...

$20
4 - 5 Painted Random Minis (4 if one is a Large)
Matching Creature cards
10 Order cards
1 Large Map tile
1 Small Map tile

The Packs wouldn't be sorted by types (Basiclly, no packs supporting a single type) and would give a mix of the starting sets aswell as new mini's. Same with the Orders and Map tiles.

Random minis? That would make this even more expensive than it already is when hunting for a specific monster (or monsters) to add to a warband. With random minis it could potentially be a lot cheaper to just by another faction box and be certain you have what you want. I've played my share of collectible card games in the past and would definitely like to stay away from anything with the word random in it. The beauty of Dungeon Command for me (well aside from the gameplay) as it is is that I know what I'm paying for. I'd be all for smaller boosters introducing new monster, tiles and order cards (new leaders would be nice too), but not when I don't know what I'll be getting.
I doubt this will happen. The reason why D&D Minis were blind boosters before was to reduce the number of individual items that stores need to stock for the miniatures line. Blind boosters weren't working anymore so they're going with non-blind. But that means they need to drastically reduce the available range of minis, hence why we're seeing only two box sets now and they will trickle down one at a time in September and November.
Ok, this is something that I don't understand. I am not a person who was from the old days, I am a new-ish player, that got into D&D around the end of the minis being printed, however, from what I've seen the Random Minis sold, while the Minis that were half shown and half hidden (Delves or w/e the set(s) were called) can still be found on store shelfs due to no one wanting the troll.

I get that players don't like the random minis because if you are searching after one mini, you may never pull it from a pack, however look at the logic that players of MtG have here. If you are looking for a single card/guy, just buy him on his own from a second-hand shop. If you are wanting to get a varity, buy a pack. Odd-wise, which is better, have a one in eleven chance to buy the Dracolith? (11 packs) or spend the $40-$50 on him? Sure, you could get uber-lucky pulling him from a pack, good for you.

If they were to put them in clear boosters, I feel like the value for the minis aswell as the game were to drop. I don't understand how this is a different case then MtG and it going to clear/random boosters.

Heroscape did the whole, you see what you get idea, and they never sold all that well. It made Warbands abit predictable due to the limited expandsions, because when an expandsion came out, it was only 3-5 new figures.

Another thing I noticed with WoTC, it may not be due even to the clear/random packs, they changed up their marketing approach so much it may have taken from the product. (Going from Random Boosters, price jump, price jump, to showing a mini, to price jump, to back to random)
My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
I don't really expect to see boosters with miniatures. I wouldn't be shocked to see small packs (8-15 cards or what have you) of Order cards though. Could include a few creature cards that use the same miniatures that are available in the faction packs, say a level 5 Drow Wizard or a Demonweb Spider with different abilities.
I don't really expect to see boosters with miniatures. I wouldn't be shocked to see small packs (8-15 cards or what have you) of Order cards though. Could include a few creature cards that use the same miniatures that are available in the faction packs, say a level 5 Drow Wizard or a Demonweb Spider with different abilities.

I doubt this will happen. The reason why D&D Minis were blind boosters before was to reduce the number of individual items that stores need to stock for the miniatures line. Blind boosters weren't working anymore so they're going with non-blind. But that means they need to drastically reduce the available range of minis, hence why we're seeing only two box sets now and they will trickle down one at a time in September and November.

I agree fully that I doubt it will happen and do not expect to see it. I was just stating that if there WERE expanions other than faction boxes I'd rather have just about anything than random boosters. But that's just me. What I *expect* though is that only Faction Boxes will be released and we'll have to make do with those. Which is just fine by me.

Order card boosters will probably depend on the popularity of Dungeon Command tournaments, which we won't know until 2013 when they start happening. They might happen sooner, but I doubt any serious play will occur til next year when there are enough minis and cards in the mix to support a broader range of warband construction options. They may have already made this decision.

The aftermarket will likely address the interests of the collectors. I know several retailers that have busted open sets to sell the components individually, in order to match customer demand (don't expect those spare rulebooks to sell ;) ).

Smaller miniature boosters might appear, but I think that these themed groups are great. Honestly, its what they've needed to do for a long time. The thematic groupings lend themselves well to RPG use. Some people here may remember "Fane of the Drow", the first module tie-in for the D&D Miniatures product. It basically gave you an adventure and a double-sided skirmish map. It came out around Deathknell/Angelfire, and one of the miniatures it called for had been out of print for some time and was selling for $50 in the aftermarket. Baaad coordination there.

Otherwise, some tiles and miniatures are likely to appear as promotional material for tournaments and Game Days to encourage people to head to their local retailer.

Our FLGS is starting tournaments this Thursday, trying to drum up support. The management is keeping expectations low because they do understand we're likely not going to see lots of interest until there's a wider range of viable warbands, but there's going to be a minimal fee and prizes to sweaten the deal, and our store owner has always been the type to go for the long term support by providing a venue for play at roughly cost for himself in order to build up a game with potential.

Already I'm seeing a few regulars from DDM, Dreamblade and WoW Minis coming around. Maybe I'll get to play something other than M:TG for once.

WotC is going to have to make small packs of minis for the game, or it will stagnate.  Instead of picking up a set for $40 at the FLGS, we'll end up buying multiples from Amazon for $28 each.  The stores won't see much business with the product, and they'll be hesitant to actually provide space to play it.  I had one store tell me they don't do D&D Lair Assault because "D&D players don't spend money."  So, they do Encounters, and they do the occasional Game Day, but they don't do Lair Assault, because it eats into Yu-gi-oh and Magic time, where people spend money for a buy-in and pick up a couple of packs a week.

Random boosters of cards are great, but we'll also need the minis to use while playing them.  They still can do themed packs of non-random minis as boosters, and, in fact, they should. 
WotC is going to have to make small packs of minis for the game, or it will stagnate.

I disagree. Organized play will determine the future of this game. Players will be building warbands and want to go head-to-head with other skilled players. Magic players buy a pack or two a week, but they go in heavy when a new set comes out.

I imagine that Dungeon Command will offer some promotional support in the form of tiles, commanders, order cards and minis. And people will come out to collect them. Order cards and commanders in particular will have pretty low cost to produce and ship, and are certainly enough incentive to get me to show up and play a game I already *really* want to play. Some of these store owners will basically sacrifice sets for their components with a markup so players get what they want to pad out their warbands; WOTC doesn't need to make a new product for that.
Sign In to post comments