Magic Beginners: Which Decks, packs, sets... ?!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello together,

recently i was searching for some new games for my girlfriend and me.
I thought back when I was a bit younger and passionately played "YUGIOH"-TGC with some friends of mine.

Well, here I am, wondering if "Magic the Gathering" could be the new game; I have to admit that both of us will play this game about 2-3 times per week, after the first weeks maybe just once per week. I wonder if this game is actually thought for a "bit playing when weather is bad or sth. else"??

If you can recommend this game, my question is: Where do we begin!?

I don't want to spent much money, meaning: buying new cards every week. I wonder if I should buy the "Deck Builder's Toolkit" or a "Duel Deck" or two "Theme Decks" or whatever?

Thank you! 
Moving to Magic General.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
If this is just to play casually with your friends and girlfriend, I'd say yes, grab a couple Intro decks (in before everyone says they suck: playing against another intro deck should have them on the same power level, and it won't overload you with too many different things), and when you're ready to start experimenting with making your own, grab the Deck Builder's Toolkit.
Duel Decks are fun, but might have too many things going on for a first time foray into the game.
Event decks are a slightly more tournamant quality form of packaged deck that could be an option as well.
You could also grab the Magic 2013 two-player boxed set, which includes enough cards to build two simple decks and play with them.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

The game is perfectly playable as a once-in-a-while game. Many casual players play like that. Only if you play in tournaments you are required to buy new cards regulary.

As said Dual Decks are more complex than the other products, but they are spicifically designed to be played against each other, so you'll get great value out of them. Perhaps as the next step if you happen to like it.
Intro packs tend to teach bad habits, like not including enough removal or card advantage, the pseudo-EDH tendency to include a lot of one-ofs, and so on.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The duel decks are also full of one-offs. That's just simply something casual decks do and not a bad habit per se.
The game is perfectly playable as a once-in-a-while game. Many casual players play like that. Only if you play in tournaments you are required to buy new cards regulary.

Wouldn't that apply if you only played Standard?  I mean, REGARDLESS of how alive or dead other formats are, there is more than just Standard STILL, right?
most FNM is Standard
so that will be THE tournament new players will encounter
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thank you for your answers,

Since I am from Germany I need german cards, I only have the following options:

1.) Duel Decks - Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas
2.) Duel Decks Elspeth vs. Tezzeret
3.) Deck Builder's Toolkit

Unfortunately, there aren't more sets available..

So, which of these three should I pick in order to have sets, that offer nice and funny games for me and my girlfriend, without being boring after having played with them for a while?

Thanks =)
try to avoid german cards, they are just confusing because "german magic" is not as clearly defined or consistend as "english magic"
most shops also sell the decks in english, that's what I would get

I would get either of the Duel Decks, the Deck Builder's Toolkit is useful for a new player, but not as a standalone product, since in my opinion it requires other cards to build a somewhat decent deck
And these duel decks do still make fun, even after having played with them some games? (I am asking this because in the building toolkit there are so many cards).

If buying an english set, which duel deck would you prefer, meaining: Which one is the "best" ?
duel decks are about the only paper cards I own
I play them regularly with my roommate, they do get boring after a few hours, even when switching decks, but still, that's a few hours

and after a few days they are "fresh" again.

there is not really a "best" deck, I have Knights vs. Dragons, Elspeth vs. Tezzeret and Liliana vs. Garruk, they are all fun and I can recommend them
personally I'd go for one with a Planeswalker card, they are just more "flashy" than just a regular mythic creature, but I guess that is just my personal taste, and you just draw those cards once every few games anyway ;)
I've heard bad things about the Dragons versus Knights deck. Either the Dragons player dies before he can cast any cool cards, or he crushes the Knight player. Haven't played myself though.
And these duel decks do still make fun, even after having played with them some games? (I am asking this because in the building toolkit there are so many cards).

If buying an english set, which duel deck would you prefer, meaining: Which one is the "best" ?

If those are your options, I would probably buy the two duel decks if you can swing both.  They are already put together and should be of equal power level.  The reason for both is so you do have more options in case you get board of one.

Not sure on the fun level, but as far as value level I think the elspeth vs tezzeret has more value in secondary market.
most FNM is Standard

Well, for one they neevr actually said anything about FNM - and even then, as you said, MOST [and most =/= ALL] - even then, there is more than just FNM so far as sanctioned events go.
most FNM is Standard

Well, for one they neevr actually said anything about FNM - and even then, as you said, MOST [and most =/= ALL] - even then, there is more than just FNM so far as sanctioned events go.

Like with all kinds of teaching, it's better to start simple and say things that'll actually help the student, rather than to just spout what is technically correct. Image if everyday conversation had to be how laws are written.

Chances are people's introduction to tournaments are FNM, and chances are those are draft & standard. Wizards pushes for this, including removing the flexibility to have FNMs on thursday. Their vision is, wherever you are in the world, if you go with your standard deck to a game store on a friday night, you can participate in a tournament.