The Pentagon of Players

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Magic the Gathering Fanbase is made up of 5 types of players. I will try to turn those into an Allied and Enemy Pentagon just like the pentagon of colors.

Timmy VS Jonny: Jonny likes when the game is tricky with comboes to be unlocked but Timmy likes all cards to do what they say they do.

Jonny VS Vorthos: Vorthos plays because they consider magic a Fictional storyline land but Jonny wants no flavor; they want everything in the game to be gameplay based.

Vorthos VS Melvin: Melvin wants Flavor to be connected to gameplay but Vorthos just wants wants flavor to be easy to understand.

Melvin VS Spike: Spike wants a deck with all around fine cards but Melvin likes playing with cards that are funny together.

Spike VS Timmy: Timmy likes to play for pure fun decks to play with but Spikes get their fun by making anoying decks that are no fun to play against.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Except Melvin and Vorthos are on a different axis. That's like saying there's 5 ways to eat a meal: breakfast, lunch, dinner, eating out and eating at home. And then making a pentagon of that.

But say we do go with it. Are you saying Spike and Vorthos are allies??? 
I thought this was going to be about Star.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
While I agree the OP's premise is hilariously flawed, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are entirely different ways of eating a meal, as it dictates how I cook it and where I eat it.
Except Melvin and Vorthos are on a different axis. That's like saying there's 5 ways to eat a meal: breakfast, lunch, dinner, eating out and eating at home. And then making a pentagon of that.

But say we do go with it. Are you saying Spike and Vorthos are allies??? 

This. Spike and Vorthos aims are often very counter to one another.

Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
The Magic the Gathering Fanbase is made up of 5 types of players. I will try to turn those into an Allied and Enemy Pentagon just like the pentagon of colors.

Timmy VS Jonny: Jonny likes when the game is tricky with comboes to be unlocked but Timmy likes all cards to do what they say they do.

Jonny VS Vorthos: Vorthos plays because they consider magic a Fictional storyline land but Jonny wants no flavor; they want everything in the game to be gameplay based.

Vorthos VS Melvin: Melvin wants Flavor to be connected to gameplay but Vorthos just wants wants flavor to be easy to understand.

Melvin VS Spike: Spike wants a deck with all around fine cards but Melvin likes playing with cards that are funny together.

Spike VS Timmy: Timmy likes to play for pure fun decks to play with but Spikes get their fun by making anoying decks that are no fun to play against.

This is so wrong it burns. I am quite literally ablaze.
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.

Whoa, hold up now.

Timmy gets his fun from big effects and stuff. Spike gets her fun from trying her hardest to win. You can't describe Timmy as wanting to have fun and Spike as not wanting to have fun, they both want to have fun or else they wouldn't be playing the game. You also can't describe Timmy's decks as objectively fun to play against and Spike's as not. The Spikes of the world aren't going to have fun playing against the Timmys because their decks won't provide a challenge, and the Timmy's won't have fun playing against the Spike's because they'll probably have their aethetic choices in cards turned against them since Spike just lives for the power.

I'm not saying that there aren't cases when Timmy and Spike can have fun together. I'm just trying to show that there are people that dislike playing against Timmy, just like there are people that dislike playing against Spike.
Yes, the Griefer, who "gets their fun by making anoying decks that are no fun to play against" is actually a subset of Timmy.
A closer analogy would be -

These are dead on
Spike - black
Johnny - Blue

These arent
Timmy - green
Vorthos - White
Melvin - red
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Why are you putting Vorthos in white and Melvin in red?  I'd definitely have those reversed.
Yes, the Griefer, who "gets their fun by making anoying decks that are no fun to play against" is actually a subset of Timmy.

That's actually Dave, the unspoken psychographic.
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
I agree with adeyke, and after that switch Melvin and Vorthos:

I'd put Vorthos in green, Vorthos is all about 'natural' cards, cards that represent real-world things, rather than 'artificial' cards, cards that are just about gameplay. Both have 'holistic' as keyword. Form of the Dragon's individual parts make no sense until you look at it with a holistic view.

Then Timmy in Red as both are very much about the experience and not so much about deep thoughts. This is a more defining aspect of Timmy than 'fatties'.

That leaves white for Melvin. Not a strong fit, but it are the 2 that are left. Well you could say both are all about rules and structure.
A closer analogy would be -

These are dead on
Spike - black
Johnny - Blue

These arent
Timmy - green
Vorthos - White
Melvin - red

Actually Spike is . The intellectual Spike is , the social Spike is .
Johnny is . Curious and patient.
Timmy is . Playing the game on a primative and emotional level.
Vorthos is . She concerns herself with the substance of cards. Timmys are probably mostly Vorthos's, making them Naya.
Melvin is . He appriciates interaction and power. Spikes are probably mostly Melvins and therefor Grixis.
Melvins appreciate more than just power though. Melvins appreciate well structured cards. In the same way that Whippoorwill not having flying irritates Vorthos, a complicated mess of rules text like the current Animate Dead oracle text irritates Melvin. A card like Murder that is the pinnacle of elegance appeals to Melvin. A simply powerful card does not. So Terra Stomper for is not interesting to Melvin even though it's incredibly powerful, because it is a rare card that can't be improved simply by tweaking numbers. Sacred Nectar would be playable if it gained you 20 life instead. Melvin appreciates cards that have a perfect balance between mana cost and power level or that have interesting and elegant rules text.

Because of this, I put Melvin at . Blue because the pursuit of knowledge, white because rules and order are very white.

I'd put Vorthos in Red because of the focus of things feeling right. To Vorthos, the rules aren't important. Something like Rock Hydra has messy rules text that Melvin would hate but is very flavorful. (I mean, the text specifies the counters are heads!)

At least that's my opinion.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
No wonder I'm so conflicted, I am a little bit of everything.  So you say I am always fighting myself.
Actually Spike is . The intellectual Spike is , the social Spike is .

Now this might be an interesting question. What is the core value of a Spike? Is it about self-improvement, growth, development? Or is it about being better than others, being challenged and proving your superiority, competitiveness? These 2 go hand in hand, but which one is actually taking the lead?
Depends on the Spike. I'd say there are definitely both kinds.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
The pinnacle of a Spike would be a person who plays the game in a very cold manner, almost treating opponents as simple tools to test their skill. An incredibly Spike would be one that saw opponents as people to dominate, making sure everybody knew that he was a winner.

If a Spike is a good balance between and , that is probably healthiest. Magic is a social game, but the primary function of games you play should be to better your skill if you want to win, not beating the opponent so you can prove you are better than them. Beating your opponents should just be a side effect from good play.
Spike reporting.
Another issue is that few players fall completely under one archetype. I'm probably a 50-30-20 mix of Johnny-Spike-Timmy. I've gotten more Spike-ish over the years, probably a side effect of my time on Magic Online, where being able to draft 24/7 and not having infinite funds built up a very strong appreciation in me for the Spike's attitude.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Being Vorthos is Spike, because Spike will do anything to win, even be Vorthos.
Another issue is that few players fall completely under one archetype. I'm probably a 50-30-20 mix of Johnny-Spike-Timmy. I've gotten more Spike-ish over the years, probably a side effect of my time on Magic Online, where being able to draft 24/7 and not having infinite funds built up a very strong appreciation in me for the Spike's attitude.

Yeah it's more about what a Spike is than what a player as a Spike is. Cow's an animal, animal isn't a cow.

Why are you putting Vorthos in white and Melvin in red?  I'd definitely have those reversed.

Basically. Melvin likes rules, Vorthos likes the "meaning" of the card. It's more what they like design-wise.

Melvin and Vorthos aren't completely at odds. A card like Hurricane has a blue flavor and red mechanics. Naturally it's green. However, Doom Blade irritates Vorthos (There is no reason black shouldn't destroy black creatures. It's not like they're friends or anything.) while something like Beast Within bugs Melvin (Green shouldn't get creature removal.)

Also, can't someone be two psychographs? Just sayin.

Also, let me put Johnny in : Intellectual, but he's an artist.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt