Blue Burn

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I decided to rethink my position on a Blue and Black for the Milling archtype and I decided to go Zombie Mill as a viable deck to compete in FNM. 

Creatures - 19 
4x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Gravecrawler
4x Butcher Ghoul
4x Diregraf Captain
3x Undead Alchemist

Instants/Sorcery -14
4x Mana Leak
2x Doom Blade
4x Unsummon
4x Thought Scour 

Planeswalkers -3
3x Jace, Memory Adept

Land - 21
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Nephalia Drownyard
9x Swamp
5x Island 

Side Board
4x Geralf's Messager
4x Vapor Snag
4x Blood Artist
2x Doom Blade
1x Go For The Throat

This deck has the power to switch from mill to aggro relatively quickly if I find myself against a fast tempoed red deck by swapping out Jace and Undead Alchemist.

The mill power for this deck come from the creatures themselves. Undead Alchemist changes all damage into mill damage and exiles every creature it mills, turning them into zombie tokens to increase my milling power. Diregraf Captain ensures that even if Undead Alchemist falls, that every time one of my Zombies fall, it's dealing damage to my opponent so that their life total is within range of my Zombie hoarde. Unsummon and Doom Blade ensure that I'm removing potential blockers off the board so I can swing. 

it seems like this could use some snapcasters, no?
it seems like this could use some snapcasters, no?

Snapcaster Mage would be a good card for the deck. Unfornately, I don't have any and they want about $17 on Amamon and $22 at my local card shop for one, so I'm working on playing without him, unless I can find a way to get them.
i suppose the same would be said concerning some talrands?  he would fit nicely in this deck also, perhaps in place of the undying alchemists...
i suppose the same would be said concerning some talrands?  he would fit nicely in this deck also, perhaps in place of the undying alchemists...

Talrand has the benefet of being cheaper in singles price and availability, as he is an Intro Pack card. The problem I have with him is that he is a 4 drop 2/2 that only produces one 2/2 Drake token for every blue instant or sorcery you fire off, though the token has flying, which is a nice perk. He also does nothing for my mill game the way Undying Alchemist does.

Example 1
*Talrand in play*
*plays Mind Sculpt* mills 7 cards off the top and gets a 2/2 Drake token
Anything I milled with a discard pile presence (Chandra's Phoenix, Blue Zombies, etc) still have a way back into the field later, which could come back and take out Talrand or the token before I can use it. 

Example 2
*Undying Alchemist in play*
*plays Mind Sculpt* mills 7 cards, exiles all creature cards, generates Zombie tokens for every exiled creature.
Now, not only do I not have to worry about the discard pile coming back into play, but I've just generated (assuming I'm exiling more than one at any given point) multiple chump blockers from a 4 drop 4/2. Also if I swing with Undying Alchemist or just go all out offensive with the tokens, they won't damage my opponents life total, but the damage becomes cards that my opponent is going to lose from the top of the deck, which could mean more chump blockers or offensive milling tokens. 

Talrand might be a good card to side board if I feel I need to generate more flyers during the game, but I don't see him being able to main board in this deck on the basis that he is too slow and Undying Alchemist does his job better. 
understood...you make a valid point considering that this is a mill deck...

the first cards that came to mind other than snapcasters and talrands were traumatize, archive trap, tome scour, and telemin performance...but none these are playable in standard

hmmmm...i suppose i am just worried about the speed of this deck...something makes me feel like you are going to get wrecked by most aggro or control decks well before you mill their library down to zero...

have you been able to test this deck much? 

I don't like Thought Scour over dream twist. 

Also, if you don't use tormod's crypt zombie and graverobbing and pike decks will punish you hard. Or any deck with elixer of immortality anywhere on the decklist.

Mana leak is bounds and leaps better than negate 

Witchbane orb in the sideboard incase of RDW

Belltower Sphinx should be considerred. Delver doesn't quite fit this deck.

Here's a more reliable way, and by reliable I mean you won't die before they mill. Providing you start first

t1) Phantasm (53)
t2) Mind Sculpt (45)
t3) Dream twist, save 2 for mana leak (41, phantasm procs)
t4) Undead Alchemist (40)
t5) Increasing confusion for 0, flashback dreamtwist, mindsculpt (30, get 3-4 zombie chumps, by now they have a creature that can match phantasm)
t6) Swing zombies, assuming 2 get through, Memory Adept, use his +0(25, 3-4 more chumps, 1 blue upon for an unsummon)
t7) +0, flashback increasing confusion for the win (0, 5-6 more chumps. Hope they can kill you with instants)

Slower, but that actually lets you live. By now you have a good amount of zombie chumps to defend, so if it does go longer you can take it unless they've got some serious flyers.

My overall recomendations:

-4 Negate
+4 Mana leak
-4 Thought Scour
+4 Dream Twist
-3 Delver of Secrets (doesn't fit the deck.)
-1 Auger of Bolas
+4 Tormod's Crypt

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

understood...you make a valid point considering that this is a mill deck...

the first cards that came to mind other than snapcasters and talrands were traumatize, archive trap, tome scour, and telemin performance...but none these are playable in standard

hmmmm...i suppose i am just worried about the speed of this deck...something makes me feel like you are going to get wrecked by most aggro or control decks well before you mill their library down to zero...

have you been able to test this deck much? 

I've played it against a White Surge deck, a Red/Black Vampire deck, and a Birthing Pod [my current standard] deck (the last two that I built and played against). I get a lot of Island dead draws late game, when I need something to slow them down. I've been thinking about Fog Bank since it can't be destoryed in combat, and it can defend against anything without Non-Blue Intimediate or Unblockable

I don't like Thought Scour over dream twist. 

Also, if you don't use tormod's crypt zombie and graverobbing and pike decks will punish you hard. Or any deck with elixer of immortality anywhere on the decklist.

Mana leak is bounds and leaps better than negate 

Witchbane orb in the sideboard incase of RDW

Belltower Sphinx should be considerred. Delver doesn't quite fit this deck.

Here's a more reliable way, and by reliable I mean you won't die before they mill. Providing you start first

t1) Phantasm (53)
t2) Mind Sculpt (45)
t3) Dream twist, save 2 for mana leak (41, phantasm procs)
t4) Undead Alchemist (40)
t5) Increasing confusion for 0, flashback dreamtwist, mindsculpt (30, get 3-4 zombie chumps, by now they have a creature that can match phantasm)
t6) Swing zombies, assuming 2 get through, Memory Adept, use his +0(25, 3-4 more chumps, 1 blue upon for an unsummon)
t7) +0, flashback increasing confusion for the win (0, 5-6 more chumps. Hope they can kill you with instants)

Slower, but that actually lets you live. By now you have a good amount of zombie chumps to defend, so if it does go longer you can take it unless they've got some serious flyers.

My overall recomendations:

-4 Negate
+4 Mana leak
-4 Thought Scour
+4 Dream Twist
-3 Delver of Secrets (doesn't fit the deck.)
-1 Auger of Bolas
+4 Tormod's Crypt

I was running Mana Lank and Belltower Sphinx in the development stage of the deck, however they rotate out with M12, which means making the switch back only provides me with a short term solution.

Witchbane's Orb and Turmod's Crypt seem solid for counter measures against RDW and Zombie

Thought Scour and Dream Twist both have their uses. Dream Twist has the added bonus of being able to come back from the grave with Flashback, but Thought Scour lets you draw into something, I will test it out and see which one does the deck more good. 

I've played it against a White Surge deck, a Red/Black Vampire deck, and a Birthing Pod [my current standard] deck (the last two that I built and played against). I get a lot of Island dead draws late game, when I need something to slow them down. I've been thinking about Fog Bank since it can't be destoryed in combat, and it can defend against anything without Non-Blue Intimediate or Unblockable 

Really getting dead-draws with 21 mana? I think you might just be getting a bit of bad luck there. 21 is pretty much what you should be going for. Any less and you'd be screwed. You still ideally want 1 getting laid every turn. I'd say give it a little longer before dropping any.

Really getting dead-draws with 21 mana? I think you might just be getting a bit of bad luck there. 21 is pretty much what you should be going for. Any less and you'd be screwed. You still ideally want 1 getting laid every turn. I'd say give it a little longer before dropping any.

I was thinking along the same lines for dropping mana. I'm getting the last cards for my Vampire deck around Tuesday, so I will be able to see how it does against Red aggro (if you would like to see the deck lists for the Vampire Aggro and the Birthing Pod to see what it plays against [which could help with other sideboard advice], I would be happy to post them). 

I also got to your comment in the last post (edit).   
tierdrop's advice is much stronger than mine...

the sideboard recomendations (tormod / witchbane) make too much sense to ignore...

swapping the manaleaks for negates (even if it is only for 6 weeks or so), and the thought scours for the dream twists are also very solid changes, imo... 
tierdrop's advice is much stronger than mine...

the sideboard recomendations (tormod / witchbane) make too much sense to ignore...

swapping the manaleaks for negates (even if it is only for 6 weeks or so), and the thought scours for the dream twists are also very solid changes, imo... 

I did the swap for Negate/Mana Leak Delver of Secrets/Belltower Sphinx, and Thought Scour/Dream Twist. It got further against the Birthing Pod set up then normal, I just dead drop into too many Islands and not enough cards to use them on. 
Just to make sure you understand, tormod's crypt should be mainboarded, not sideboarded. It's better not to lose game 1, give them time to prepare and then hope they aren't ready, all because they have a very common elixer of immortality or because they play zombies.

You never know when they've got something in the GY you don't want happening. I'd mainboard the crypt 

Just to make sure you understand, tormod's crypt should be mainboarded, not sideboarded. It's better not to lose game 1, give them time to prepare and then hope they aren't ready, all because they have a very common elixer of immortality or because they play zombies.

You never know when they've got something in the GY you don't want happening. I'd mainboard the crypt 

I'm going to main board it once I get the other three I just ordered off Amazon and edit the deck to reflect the updates.

I'm going to main board it once I get the other three I just ordered off Amazon and edit the deck to reflect the updates.

Good luck guy :D Let us know how you do

so if i understand correclty, are you suggesting he main-deck 3x or 4x tormod's crypt?

I understand that his mill deck will give opponents lots of choices of beastly creatures from their own graveyards, so 4x would make sense in his main...

do you believe that most decks should be main decking two of these?  i only ask bc i run 3x tormods in my sideboard for both of my decks (RDW and U/R )...
...tormod's crypt...
do you believe that most decks should be main decking two of these?  i only ask bc i run 3x tormods in my sideboard for both of my decks (RDW and U/R )...

That depends on your local meta and what they're running.  How often you side them in? You find yourself siding them in almost every matchup? If so, yes MD them. If not, then leave them where they are.

Alright then as for the OP.

I personally don't like that you're only running 21 lands in a control deck that has a high curve. I know you where complaining that you were always getting lands and had nothing to use them for, but cutting down to 21 should only be ramp decks or decks with a really low curve. You deck is nether. You have quite a few things that cost 4-5 and you're probably going to want lands in order to cast those cards rather than be mana screwed. I think you should be running 23-24 lands minimum.

If you're looking for something to throw your excess mana at, Mindshrieker could be a good choice. It's a good beater and can continually mill your opponent. Nephalia Drownyard could also be good here for the same reason (something to use untapped lands for each turn), but you would have to run a few duel lands in order to support it though...

I know you're a little reluctant to use cards from the scars block since it will rotate out and you're afraid you wont be able to find replacements, but have you considered what is coming in the fall? Most likely a return to mill via the Dimir guild. You'll definitely be able to find replacements for any/all cards you lose via rotation. That being said, use Vapor Snag instead of unsummon until rotation.

Have you thought about using Dreadwaters and/or Sands of Delirium?

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

...tormod's crypt...

That depends on your local meta and what they're running.  How often you side them in? You find yourself siding them in almost every matchup? If so, yes MD them. If not, then leave them where they are.

Alright then as for the OP.

I personally don't like that you're only running 21 lands in a control deck that has a high curve. I know you where complaining that you were always getting lands and had nothing to use them for, but cutting down to 21 should only be ramp decks or decks with a really low curve. You deck is nether. You have quite a few things that cost 4-5 and you're probably going to want lands in order to cast those cards rather than be mana screwed. I think you should be running 23-24 lands minimum.

If you're looking for something to throw your excess mana at, Mindshrieker could be a good choice. It's a good beater and can continually mill your opponent. Nephalia Drownyard could also be good here for the same reason (something to use untapped lands for each turn), but you would have to run a few duel lands in order to support it though...

I know you're a little reluctant to use cards from the scars block since it will rotate out and you're afraid you wont be able to find replacements, but have you considered what is coming in the fall? Most likely a return to mill via the Dimir guild. You'll definitely be able to find replacements for any/all cards you lose via rotation. That being said, use Vapor Snag instead of unsummon until rotation.

Have you thought about using Dreadwaters and/or Sands of Delirium?

Sands of Delirium is generally too slow to be effective when tested both in this deck and the DotP 2013 Jace mill deck. The same with Mindshriker, the first chance I have 2 open mana to use it's ability is turn 4 (assuming I've been able to play cards until then), which would be better suited for Mana Leak

I actually don't have Vapor Snag, I came in during Magic 2012, so it's not that I'm afraid to use them, I just lack resources from the Scars block. 

I might look into upping the mana count to 23 and Dreadwaters seems solid 
I'd use rewind as my counterspell.  Counter a spell, untap your lands, then dream twist, unsummon, or play another counterspell.
I hate dogs.
I'd use rewind as my counterspell.  Counter a spell, untap your lands, then dream twist, unsummon, or play another counterspell.

I will definitely look into using that for a replacement when Mana Leak goes out
It's a little too expensive. I'd stick to dissipate and what-not.

Unless you plan on ultimating tamiyo everygame. Then unwind is stupid. 

It's a little too expensive. I'd stick to dissipate and what-not.

Unless you plan on ultimating tamiyo everygame. Then unwind is stupid. 

Right now, Negate, Dissapate and Redirect are at the top of my list for Mana Leak replacement since they are cheap two drops. I'm leaning more towards Redirect since I'm pretty sure it means I can use it to send their spells back at them.
That's exactly what it means. Buuut, that's dangerous to run as your only counter. What happens when they decide to drop their sublime archangel, or elish norn, or any of those big bombs that win games. You need to be able to stop their creatures too.

Given the changes and suggestions made here, what is your current decklist looking like?

If the creature layout hasn't changed, I suggest you change it. Making Tormod's Crypt a key factor of your maindeck is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but running Jace's Phantasm in the same deck as it isn't, imo. I run a mill deck myself, and Fog Bank is a brilliant card that fills an important role in my experience.

I'd also recommend a couple of Archaeomancer. Maybe 2 Augur, 2 Archaeo?

Also, @kashonismw - Dimir isn't coming along until Feb.
I want to be Cultured.
I don't think he's centered it around the crypt, but rather using it as a sort of desperate act when they have the ability to screw what he's spent all game trying to do.

That's exactly what it means. Buuut, that's dangerous to run as your only counter. What happens when they decide to drop their sublime archangel, or elish norn, or any of those big bombs that win games. You need to be able to stop their creatures too.

Well, if Elesh Norn hits the board after I've changed Mana Leak...I'm calling shenanagans, but I see your point.  

Given the changes and suggestions made here, what is your current decklist looking like?

If the creature layout hasn't changed, I suggest you change it. Making Tormod's Crypt a key factor of your maindeck is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but running Jace's Phantasm in the same deck as it isn't, imo. I run a mill deck myself, and Fog Bank is a brilliant card that fills an important role in my experience.

I'd also recommend a couple of Archaeomancer. Maybe 2 Augur, 2 Archaeo?

Also, @kashonismw - Dimir isn't coming along until Feb.

I've been updating my first post as suggestions and play tests continue, so the first post on any of my decks is the most current. 

True, Tormod's Crypt does shrink my oppoents discard pile, but I'm also hoping that i've milled a lot of non-creature cards that exiling them won't be an issue. Fog Bank is a great card, it's a prefect defender against aggro deck. Unfortunately, my meta (and my other two decks) run heavy removal (like Pillar of Flame) which exiles him without breaking a sweat, and with my deck not being creature heavy. I will mix things up and test out new combinations with Fog Bank and look into Archaeomancer and see if it helps my plays
Fair enough mate, deck building rule number 1: Build to your meta. I personally pack the fogs anyway, for me anything that hits the fogs ISN'T hitting the Alchemist, and I carry more fear of Aggro then I do spot removal, but more power to you, how boring would mill decks be if they were all the same!?

@Tierdrop - I hear you, I may have picked the wrong word there with 'centered', but you see what I'm saying. The deck flows rather nicely but I see a clash of synergy. I main-deck Tormods, and when I run into a matchup where their graveyard isn't relevant, that's when I bring in the phantasms. 
I want to be Cultured.
I think it's safer to have them both. Chances are in favor of not even having to use the crypt, but the phantasm is relevent in every game. If not losing the game means your 5/5 turns back into a 1/1 temporarily, I'd say it's worth the added safety.

I feel that I need more draw power in this deck. It just feels like it moves too slow and I'm not getting the cards I need. 

So far the cards I can think of that provide draw for me are Think Twice, Thought Scour, Divination (which seems kind of expensive), and Ponder. Any thoughts? 
Obviously thought scour

That's what I was thinking, but I thought there might have been a better draw card or reason to run something else that I overlooked.
Nah, thought Scour is pretty much the one. If you're feeling kinky you can always give this a whirl. It's like a planeswalker that they can't attack =p. I'm actually trying to find room for a couple myself, if I can get it working somehow I'll let you know =]
I want to be Cultured.
Staff of Nin seem pretty expensive for a combo Chandra/Howling Mine. If it gets that bad, you could always use Jace's +1 and then Ulti him off for 20, you'll have won the game at that point since you'll have your mill cards in hand as well and open mana slots

04x Doomed Traveler
04x Angelic Wall
03x Augur of Bolas
02x Undead Alchemist
03x Archaeomancer
16 Creatures

04x Mind Sculpt
04x Thought Scour
04x Mana Leak
03x Increasing Confusion
04x Oblivion Ring
19 Other Spells

03x Jace, Memory Adept
3 Planeswalker

04x Glacial Fortress
10x Island
08x Plains
22 Lands

This deck is modeled a bit after a build from 2010 that Bmoor (a pojo deck garage columnist) built in terms of using Blue and White Mill instead of the more excepted Blue and Black or Mono-Blue. 

So why use White or Black or even just Blue alone? White is a color that gives me protection in creature form in a much cheaper way than Blue can provide. I feel Black would be fairly mana consumptive as well given that Black/Blue would more than likely result in Zombie Mill, which seems much more suited for Aggro than Mill. As nice as it would be to bring in Grave Titan and use the Tokens he spawns as a source to feed my never ending horde, it's going to be expensive mana wise to run to turn 6 and play Stormtop Roof and then go on a Zombie offensive to turn all damage into card milled. 

Blue alone also doesn't get the job done as well either. Blue's primary source of stall is bounce and Fog Bank. Vapor Snag is still a great one drop that bounces their creature and makes them take a point of damage. That's awesome, but more suited for a Blue/Red Burn deck. Speaking of Red, it should have no issue running the floor with Fog Bank, common Pillar of Flame drop in on it and exile it faster than you put it down. 
So what does White do for the deck? It provides me a well placed 1 drop in the form of Doomed Traveler. Being a 1/1 doesn't make it much of a threat, but it's ability makes people think twice before just swinging at me or using a removal spell since it brings me a 1/1 Spirit Token with Flying. It also provides a much better wall than Fog Bank, Angelic Wall. True, Angelic Wall can not just take the damage like Fog Bank, but it also can't be removed so easy by Red Deck Wins. Pillar of Flames deals it 2 damage so it has 2 toughness left, they can either swing at me and I can do nothing or I can stop the damage for the turn by blocking and possibly lose my creature, meaning they'll have to waste two cards to kill it or give up damage for a turn. The last white spell I run in my deck is Oblivion Ring, which removals major threats from my board, including opposing Planeswalkers.

Some of the cards I'm considering are Snapcaster Mage (which for now is still pretty expensive), White Sun Zenith (to generate Tokens for defense), Blue Sun Zenith (to get another form of draw), Divine Deflection, Ajani's Sunstriker, Ajani, Caller of the Pride.

updated to blue and whie
Blue sun's can act as another mill card too. I might consider it in my Blue burn deck.

04x Doomed Traveler
04x Angelic Wall
03x Augur of Bolas
02x Undead Alchemist
03x Archaeomancer
16 Creatures

04x Mind Sculpt
04x Thought Scour
04x Mana Leak
03x Increasing Confusion
04x Oblivion Ring
19 Other Spells

03x Jace, Memory Adept
3 Planeswalker

04x Glacial Fortress
10x Island
08x Plains
22 Lands

updated to blue and whie

I particularly like the undead alchemist  but would definatly remove the increasing confusion  for Sands of delirium  considering ur having plenty of mana and not being able to cast anything. Simply mill 4-5 or however much mana you have left during an opponents end phase turn after turn with sands of delirum
no offense.... but all this looks like it another poorly designed attempt at a mill deck.

i'm pretty sure that 90% of the mill decks that are posted aren't built correctly.

you either need to be some sort of combo deck that mills very effeciently all at once or in a few steps OR you need to be a dedicated control deck that happens to mill as its win.

either way, mill as a win con is techniaclly inefficient most of the time since it results in card disadvantage.  you have to spend a card that doesn't impact the board, only is winning you some 20 turns down the road, if that.

sands of delirium, nephalia drownyard, and jace are probably the ONLY mill cards in standard that anyone should every even consider running.  

based on what i see here, you should build a straightforward UW control deck with counters, card draw, lots of board sweepers, and maybe 2 each of jace and sands.

UB control often wins with mill, but only because it is a secondary win con that comes with virtually zero opportunity cost because it is a land card.

that is all, but it needs to be said any time anyone ever tries to build a mill deck.  in short, they're very bad strategies in a competitive setting 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

no offense.... but all this looks like it another poorly designed attempt at a mill deck.

i'm pretty sure that 90% of the mill decks that are posted aren't built correctly.

you either need to be some sort of combo deck that mills very effeciently all at once or in a few steps OR you need to be a dedicated control deck that happens to mill as its win.

either way, mill as a win con is techniaclly inefficient most of the time since it results in card disadvantage.  you have to spend a card that doesn't impact the board, only is winning you some 20 turns down the road, if that.

sands of delirium, nephalia drownyard, and jace are probably the ONLY mill cards in standard that anyone should every even consider running.  

based on what i see here, you should build a straightforward UW control deck with counters, card draw, lots of board sweepers, and maybe 2 each of jace and sands.

UB control often wins with mill, but only because it is a secondary win con that comes with virtually zero opportunity cost because it is a land card.

that is all, but it needs to be said any time anyone ever tries to build a mill deck.  in short, they're very bad strategies in a competitive setting 

Better now? 

I must say, I think increasing confusion is worth running, because of the huge amounts of mill that card can make off Flashback.

I want to be Cultured.
How has the black been working out for ya I have been working on a U/W build and have it going fairly smooth, but the U/B build looks like alot of fun. Also Having Sands of Delirium in play is amazing. You can leave a few mana up for Leak or Scatter then if they dont play anything just dump it during the end step.
Sands synergises with Rewind like a beast too.

How are the Augurs working out with the thinner spell count?

Also, surely Moorland Haunt has a place here? Might as well make use of them spuds in the graveyard...
I want to be Cultured.