Hybrid Help looking for an executioner|hexblade combo

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
so i just found the hybrid rules for executioner, and really want to hybrid it with hexblade, but i think hexblade is hybrid-less still... i would love some ideas for this, if anyone has them. executioner/warlock with the pactblade feat? im starting at level 8 and just wanted to explore this idea a bit on the forums

Nothing but the rain.

so i just found the hybrid rules for executioner, and really want to hybrid it with hexblade, but i think hexblade is hybrid-less still... i would love some ideas for this, if anyone has them. executioner/warlock with the pactblade feat? im starting at level 8 and just wanted to explore this idea a bit on the forums

Unfortunately the pactblade feat was pulled from the final article so there isn't an MC Hexblade option either.

Unfortunately the pactblade feat was pulled from the final article so there isn't an MC Hexblade option either.

oh really? weird, i was just reading it! i think my dm would let me take it. hypothrtically, if i could? its seems like a fun build with potential

Nothing but the rain.

OK, let me make sure we are talking about the same thing here, its been awhile and I had to go back and look at the article to refresh what they did. Are you talking about the Pact Blade Manifestation feat, which let a O-Warlock gain access to a Pact Blade? (For some reason I was thinking it was an MC feat, as I said its been awhile)
Yeah thats the one, gives you the pact blade associated with your pact. So couldnt i hybrid executioner|warlock and take that feat?

Nothing but the rain.

Yeah thats the one, gives you the pact blade associated with your pact. So couldnt i hybrid executioner|warlock and take that feat?

It's not an official feat anymore since it was removed from the final article, but if your DM allows it then it works.
Well assuming its allowed, i have a question. Icey skewer, the fey pact weapon's power in heroes of the forgotten kingdom says it can be used in place of a basic attack. The hybrid rules for the assassin's attack finesse says it can "only be used with basic attacks, assassin attack powers and paragon attack powers"

Because of that wording, can i use icey skewer and attack finesse together, if i use icey skewer as a basic attack?

Nothing but the rain.

Well assuming its allowed, i have a question. Icey skewer, the fey pact weapon's power in heroes of the forgotten kingdom says it can be used in place of a basic attack. The hybrid rules for the assassin's attack finesse says it can "only be used with basic attacks, assassin attack powers and paragon attack powers"

Because of that wording, can i use icey skewer and attack finesse together, if i use icey skewer as a basic attack?

Yep, as well as the basic warlock power Eldritch Strike, or any other unconditional basic attack substitute power.
Thats pretty awesome, at level 8 i could icey skewer 1d10+6, +1d8 attack finesse, + 3d10 assassin's strike sounds like a nice round, could mc rogue and get another 2d6 per encounter, max damage of 66! And the basic icey skewer/attack finesse attack isnt bad either. [edit] i forgot about warlords curse too, could i use that also because icy skewer is a warlock power?

I really want to max this, seems like a great, versatile striker! Long range with eldrith (can assassins strike there too) skillful, decent defenses (icey skewy gives +2 till eot)

Whadya think?

Nothing but the rain.

Or not be a hexblade, curse some guy, have the mindbite scorn or what ever it was from the Darksun book that gives you an extra dice of curse damage that is psychic, the feat that makes those dice D8s, and hit someone with eldrich strike and a rapier for 4d8 + mods - then add your assassin strike to that.  You dont need to worry about faffing in the hexblade stuff and just fluff your weapon being surrounded by horrific energies.
Or not be a hexblade, curse some guy, have the mindbite scorn or what ever it was from the Darksun book that gives you an extra dice of curse damage that is psychic, the feat that makes those dice D8s, and hit someone with eldrich strike and a rapier for 4d8 + mods - then add your assassin strike to that.  You dont need to worry about faffing in the hexblade stuff and just fluff your weapon being surrounded by horrific energies.

Mindbite Scorn isn't effected by Killing Curse. It's an additional die added onto your curse damage, not a die of curse damage itself. It always does d6, but it also gives you the psychic keyword for free, which lets you get Mindlock at 11, which is just dirty, especially when you pair it with whatever feat it is that gives hammer BMAs rattling (cumulative -4), and if you then also go half-elf, you can pick up a skald at-will stance, which does further silly crap for your MBA.  

But ultimately, his point is correct. Just play a normal locksicutioner, grab whatever weapon you want, and refluff to taste. It's actually a mono-stat hybrid (as you can totally ignore dex as a hybrid executioner), and you can go Cha(or con)/ whatever you want. This can be a real help to your defenses if you end up going with a more diverse statline, which helps pad the fact that hybrids have crappy defenses as a whole. As an assassin, you can grab cursed shadow as well, which will let you get Shadow Walk without wasting your hybrid talent. That being said, you don't really get a good hybrid talent anyway, which is a problem with the locksecutioner. You're also likely to just have crap AC your entire career, as you don't get any good class features for it, and lack the ability scores to really upgrade your armor.

Theoretically, if you haven't decided on an MC yet, or don't MC Skald, you can grab Healers Lore and swap for Battle Cleric's Lore (some DMs don't like this. Ask first.), which will really help with your AC problems.
Then take Deft Blade at 11 so your Rapier is now targetting Reflex and life is good!

Mindbite Scorn isn't effected by Killing Curse. It's an additional die added onto your curse damage, not a die of curse damage itself.

Calling it curse dice is actually a misnomer on our part.  Warlock's Curse is actually just extra damage.  Mindbite Scorn increases that extra damage.  Killing Curse increases the die size of the extra damage from d6s to d8s.  Vile Resonance also increases the extra damage.

Your curse damage would be 1d6+1d6(psychic) and would switch to 1d8+1d8(psychic).

Mindbite Scorn isn't effected by Killing Curse. It's an additional die added onto your curse damage, not a die of curse damage itself.

Calling it curse dice is actually a misnomer on our part.  Warlock's Curse is actually just extra damage.  Mindbite Scorn increases that extra damage.  Killing Curse increases the die size of the extra damage from d6s to d8s.  Vile Resonance also increases the extra damage.

Your curse damage would be 1d6+1d6(psychic) and would switch to 1d8+1d8(psychic).

Koshinuke is correct.  The text of mindbite scorn is crystal clear - you increase the extra damage your curse does by a dice.  Zhara's incorrect interpretation is that mindbite scorn does its own damage in addition to the damage that curse does.

It is, however, a trivial difference to get bent out of shape over.  Zhara is correct in saying that the real importance is that you now are also doing psychic damage - thats the money.
I really want to max this, seems like a great, versatile striker! Long range with eldrith (can assassins strike there too) skillful, decent defenses (icey skewy gives +2 till eot)

"I use basic attacks every round" is the opposite of versatile, but yes, it is a decently high damage single target striker. You'll have to MC Swordmage or take AIP Light Blade to be able to Assassin's Strike on Eldritch Blast, but you want to do that anyway so you can DiS.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

"I use basic attacks every round" is the opposite of versatile, but yes, it is a decently high damage single target striker. You'll have to MC Swordmage or take AIP Light Blade to be able to Assassin's Strike on Eldritch Blast, but you want to do that anyway so you can DiS.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, i have until tomorrow to make this build, and i appreciate everyone giving me advice on different classes etc, but i want to make this build work.

My confusion lies in picking my encounters-the assassin have any? I dont have the character builder, so this is a lot harder for me haha

Nothing but the rain.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, i have until tomorrow to make this build, and i appreciate everyone giving me advice on different classes etc, but i want to make this build work.

My confusion lies in picking my encounters-the assassin have any? I dont have the character builder, so this is a lot harder for me haha

The executiner get's assassin strike.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The executiner get's assassin strike.

The hybrid executioner, IIRC, can also pick assassin encounter powers, instead of assassin's strike. In most cases, he shouldn't, but he can. Unless there was either errata or rules clarification that nixed that, of course.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
but does the assassin get mutliple uses as it levels up like other essentials classes? 

Nothing but the rain.

No, assassin's strike gains more damage the more times you pick it, instead of additional uses.  And it specifically states that it can only be recharged with a short or extended rest.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Sign In to post comments