Can a lone submarine in Baltic Sea prevent transports from landing in Germany?A&Allies 2004 revised

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a lone submarine in Baltic Sea  prevent transports from landing in Germany? My axis opponent specifically bought a submarine and placed it in the Baltic Sea to prevent allies from landing in Germany...I'm not sure what his reasoning is because every game turn 1 Germany enters the sea zone with the english destroyer and lands in Egypt but he reasoned that it was different with a submerged submarine since I had no destroyers...Can anyone clarify this?

Thx,

Strad
I'm not sure what your opponent is thinking.  A sub is little different from any other blocking unit.  All you have to do is sink it and invade.  (Naturally I'm assuming that you have something to sink it with.)

Of course, since you have no destroyers, his sub can submerge if you don't hit it in the first combat round, but that will only save the sub, not stop the landing.

Perhaps your opponent is thinking of the rules of another A&A variant, which can be slightly different regarding subs?     
As long as it isn't submerged or sunk: of course it can, just as the british destroyer can prevent Germany from landing in Anglo-Egypt until it is sunk.

In the rules manual (page 32) there are rules for submarines. Under "Submerge" it says "Enemy sea units may move freely through a sea zone containing a submerged submarine, and enemy transports may load of offload there." So if you send no destroyers then a submerged submarine will explicitly not prevent the invasion.

About the Germany landing in Egypt: on page 31 there are examples of what a transport can do in a certain scenario, giving the example that it cannot start an amphibious assault in Egypt due to the destroyer present there. Of course, if the destroyer is sunk it is no longer there and hence Germany may land. Also read about Amphibious Assaults p 19-20.
Sign In to post comments