cube draft 2

299 posts / 0 new
Last post
cube is here with some changes from last time, i think there's a couple of cards missing but it shouldn't matter.

pack 1:
breath of life 
coldsteel heart 
grizzly fate 
incinerate 
lightning greaves 
necrogenesis 
pathrazer of ulamog 
resounding scream 
rift bolt 
serra angel 
spirit loop 
steward of valeron 
tresserhorn sinks 
wingcrafter 
what's up with resounding scream?

anyway I think Angel but I don't know much about cube.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I'm going with coldsteel heart, but Serra is good, too.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Coldsteel Heart, this pack is pretty meh.
I like Heart and Incinerate. I put Incinerate there because mono-red is pretty easy to force in a lot of cubes, and some decks just aren't prepared for it. I love when you can take all the Goblin Pikers and just win. Plus Incinerate is good in almost any deck. I think I will go with Coldsteel Heart though, since mana fixing is grand, and also good in almost any deck (though I have gone MUC a lot in cube).

There are cards in this pack that look really powerful like Serra Angel and Grizzly Fate. Something that people new to cube tend to not realize though is that there are a lot of bombs in cube and color fixing should be a high priority. We can grab bombs later, I think I like Heart over a lot of bombs, an obvious exception would be something like a good planeswalker.
I like Heart and Incinerate. I put Incinerate there because mono-red is pretty easy to force in a lot of cubes, and some decks just aren't prepared for it. I love when you can take all the Goblin Pikers and just win. Plus Incinerate is good in almost any deck. I think I will go with Coldsteel Heart though, since mana fixing is grand, and also good in almost any deck (though I have gone MUC a lot in cube).

There are cards in this pack that look really powerful like Serra Angel and Grizzly Fate. Something that people new to cube tend to not realize though is that there are a lot of bombs in cube and color fixing should be a high priority. We can grab bombs later, I think I like Heart over a lot of bombs, an obvious exception would be something like a good planeswalker.

you said this with a fair amount of authority so I'll believe you. switching to heart.

I'll side with heart.
People taking my word. <3

you clearly didn't look at the list of what's in this cube then. :p
I never clicked the link because I didn't want to analyze a huge list of cards.

Most non-specialty cubes (ones that are generally just an amaglamation of powerful cards) seem to be the way I described. 

I clicked the link just now to get an idea of what your cube looks like, but the format it is in makes it very hard to traverse. A page of images sorted by color, type, and cost would be easier to follow.
I never clicked the link because I didn't want to analyze a huge list of cards.

I clicked the link just now to get an idea of what your cube looks like, but the format it is in makes it very hard to traverse. A page of images sorted by color, type, and cost would be easier to follow.

non-autocarded names made that list not worth bothering with.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
¼ vote on fact or fiction, esper charm, whitemane lion, and resounding silence.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

yeah, I still don't know what I'm talking about, but FoF seems stupid good here. the quality of card draw is directly related to the quality of the cards you draw, and FoF is an amazing card drawer anyway.

Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
dl.dropbox.com/u/60886266/wotc/tmp/tea-d...

Very nice. What's the deal with the random Darksteel juggernaut?
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Fixed. I forgot to set my program to evaluate card names strictly so "Juggernaut" got seen as "Darksteel Juggernaut" and "Fact or Fiction" got seen as "Animate Artifact".
Mulldrifter

This is absoluntely correct.

Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
mulldrifter wins games.

Alabaster Mage
Forces decks that would usually be happy to trade beats to stay on the defensive. Really hinders aggro. Makes all attacks and blocks more profitable. Being an X/1 is a downside.

Changeling Berserker
A very strong topend beater for aggro. Exactly what you want because it starts hitting right out of the gate. Unfortunately it doesn't have trample.

Diregraf Ghoul
Solid aggro card like Isamaru, Hound of Konda and Elite Vanguard.

Esper Panorama
I'd say there's a good chance that we play at least two of these colors, making this decent fixing.

Khalni Gem
Very potent fixing that essentially provides you with two lands. If your opponent has any kind of artifact removal though they get to double Boomerang you, which is absolutely brutal.

Mulldrifter
Very good slow card. Easily splashed, evasion, cards, choices. Not as good in permission control as tempo control, but still good.

Ponder
It's an alright filter card, not amazing without shuffle effects though.

Shrine of Burning Rage
This card is huuuuge if you get it out early. In an aggro deck it wraps up the game by giving you a lot of reach, and even in a control deck it is removal and an inevitable clock.

Soltari Priest
Good beater in "the white deck".

Spectral Procession
Very good in the white deck. At it's still fairly potent, and at it's alright but nothing special.

Think Twice
Decent permission card. But unless I had already drafted a lot of permission-oriented cards I'd definitely think twice about taking it over a potent card like Mulldrifter.

I don't want to take Alabaster Mage this early because I feel like it forces our hand into a certain playstyle too much. It wants you to draft quite a few midrange creatures and it wants you to play a deck that doesn't have to use its mana every turn. Based on our first two picks I can't really see us wanting Diregraf Ghoul or Changeling Berserker. I don't want to waste an early pick on Esper Panorama or Khalni Gem, they aren't nearly as effective as our heart. It is also quite possible that we wheel Panorama. Mulldrifter is a sick blue card, I'd be happy to take it. Ponder is not a card I would be excited about taking this early. I don't really care too much for shrine based on our first two picks, we're going to be the deck that just wants to play potent spells every turn, and Shrine is something you have to sit on and invest in. We definitely don't want Soltari Priest. Spectral Procession is a possibility, but I'd hate to have a heavy white commitment this early, I'd rather play a deck that can play a lot of different colors off of fixing. Think Twice is decent, but it's really suited for permission style decks, and we aren't even sure if that's what we're drafting (though Fact or Fiction would be a great card in that deck).

Mulldrifter is my pick.
Late to the party, but Muldrifter is my choice

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Lots of tempting cards in this pack, I could see any of the following making it itno our final deck.

Brimstone Mage
A big mana investment, but essentially a "one card combo".

Deft Duelist
Has a very specific mana cost, but is the perfect card against aggro.

Frost Marsh
Wheeeee fixing!

Into the Roil
Cryptic Command-lite

Marsh Flitter
Tokens and a flier who can become sizable.

Pillory of the Sleepless
Removal and a clock. I remember the ability being surprisingly relevant on Numbing Dose and Enslave a couple times, and this comes down earlier.

Searing Spear
Lightning Bolt is always good.

Stone Rain
Very good against control decks, especially if they were greedy with their mana.

I think it's really between Searing Spear and Pillory of the Sleepless, I'd like to hear what other people think.
This cube seems to incorporate a lot of aggro, and white's a good control color, so let's go with deft duelist.
I hate dogs.
Pillory isn't worth commiting to two colors now. I see this between into the roil and searing spear. I'm willing  go into red for spear.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
had we anything in white or black I'd want the pillory, but with all blue cards so far let's go Into the Roil
I don't want to try to move into red while passing the mage, that's just asking for trouble. Roil keeps us in blue, which keeps our options open.

Into the Roil for me.

and me
Deft guy

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Oooooh, I really want to build the Delver of Secrets deck. But Harmonize, Krosan Tusker, Moan of the Unhallowed, and Recoil are all incredibly strong cards.

I think I value Krosan Tusker higher than Harmonize in a cube. It is essentially the green Divination that also mana fixes (important!) and can be a huge beater late in the game.

Recoil is always a nice spell to have. However, we do already have an Into the Roil

Moan of the Unhallowed is powerful, but it is also an expensive sorcery and asks for a heavier black commitment.

I don't think I want to take Tusker just because I don't really feel like playing green.
I think Recoil might be the best pick, simply because it is good no matter what we play and only demands . But Delver of Secrets is still really tempting.
recoil
bouncy bouncy bouncy 
I hate dogs.
delver is very interesting, seeing we've got half triggers, but the Green is so good. Recoil isn't worth moving into black now. Krosan Tusker is worth looking into green. He's great at all points, early or late, winning or losing.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Yeah, I really love Tusker. I'm just not sure I want to play UG/x. It is certainly possible though and I might change my vote.