Green/Red Deck Advice

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey there. Posting this for my brother, I use a Black/White exalted deck and if I get Sword of Body and Mind or Mirran Crusader out, its a guaranteed win for me. I'm just looking for any advice to improve my brothers deck so him and me can win some tournaments or face each other in the finals. Any input would be appreciated.

Creatures - 26

1 x Fauna Shaman
1 x Daybreak Ranger
2 x Llanowar Elves
1 x Instigator Gang
3 x Strangleroot Geist
4 x Huntmaster of the Fells
1 x Zealous Conscripts
1 x Deadly Recluse
2 x Gatstaf Shepherd
2 x Wolfir Silverheart
2 x Primordial Hydra
2 x Mayor of Avabruck
4 x Birds of Paradise

Enchantment - 5

3 x Rancor
2 x Full Moon's Rise

Sorcery/Instant - 10

2 x Bonfire of the Damned
2 x Arc Trail
1 x Crushing Vines
2 x Moonmist
2 x Fog
1 x Naturalize

Artifacts - 2

1 x Sword of War and Peace
1 x Sword of Feast and Famine

Lands - 20

4 x Rootbound Crag
2 x Copperline Gorge
1 x Kessig Wolf Run
2 x Mountain
11 x Forest

Total - 62

The goal is to get the 1 drop mana creatures out to get ahead on the mana curve and summon the big creatures like Primordial Hydra, Huntmaster of the Fells, Wolfir Silverheart then give them trample with rancor. The Geists and Mayors are just token generators and Chump blockers to buy time. Zealous Conscripts is there to be an anti-planeswalker card and its just all around useful. The spider, ranger and crushing vines are flying killers. Bonfire of the Damned and Arc Trail keep the field clear of mana generators, tokens and low toughness creatures. He did average in the tournament on Modern. He went 2-1 against me (very close matches), 0-2 against a green titan deck, 2-1 against a green/blue stalker deck. He could use any feedback on the deck and anything that would be good for the sideboard would be great. He has none. Thanks!
Anyone?
Well if you're looking to win tourneys, I'll make some suggestions. I'll be a little harsh with my critique so sorry in advance

You have way too many 1 of's and 2 of's, it's pretty horrible way to make sure you win. Especially since they aren't too good of creatures.

Fauna Shaman isn't standard. 

Personally, I think you're too heavy on werewolves. They aren't as strong as R/G can be. I'd drop every werewolf card minus Huntsmaster, keep him as a 4-of.

Try and get another Strangleroot Geist and get 4 hellriders, they're awesome.

I'd say get 2 more bonfires as well, expensive but winning tourneys sometmies come at a cost.

Deffinitely get another rancor.

Goblin Fireslinger is a cool 1 drop, I'd look into getting that over Daybreak, instigator, and Llanowar elves.

Put Zealous Conscript and Naturalize in your sideboard, both as 2-ofs 

I'd say drop moonmist and get 2 more arctrails, replace crushing vine and naturalize with two more bonfires. Sideboard Fog against decks that blow their load in 1 turn (exalted, kamikaze) 

Conscript, the spider, and wolfir can turn into 4 hellriders

the mayor and moonmist and the hydra can probably turn into Thundermaw Hellkite and Thragtusk as three-ofs.

Overall probably something like

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Huntsmaster
3x Goblin Fireslinger
4x Strangleroot
3x Hellrider
3x Thragtusk
3x Thundermaw Hellkite

4x Rancor

1x SoWaP
1x SoFaF

4x Bonfire
4x Arctrail

Sideboard:
2x Conscript (Decks with big creatures worth stealing)
3x Hydra (Decks with little removal, pretty much mono-green)
2x Naturalize
3x Phyrexian Metamorph (Vs Legendary Creatures like Sigarda)
2x Witchbane Orb (Mono-red)
3x Grafdigger's Cage (Zombies, Birthing Pod, Graverobbing) 

This should be a decent variation. I know it's a lot of changes, some of them pretty expensive. You didn't post a money situation so I assumed you can get the cards you want. Until you get something like that, I'd make your deck have more 4-ofs and replace as you get the cards.

Ideally the game should go something like this:

t1)forest, bird
t2)Forest, strangleroot, rancor, swing for 4 trample
t3)mountain, Huntsmaster of the Fells, swing strangleroot again for 4
t4)Mountain, hellrider, swing hellrider the wolf and strangleroot (huntermaster if he flips)for 3 damage up front  then 4-tramp 3normal 2 normal. Drop the fireslinger
t5)Forest, drop the hellkite, rancor the hellkite, swing everything until you win.

That's 20 damage by turn 4 (maximum of 27 if huntermaster flips on t3), some of it obviously gets blocked (hopefully the geist) just make sure you keep swinging, but I'd try and avoid swinging huntsmaster unless you know he won't die or unless he's flipped.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Thanks. Be as harsh as you like, this is my brothers deck and he makes more money than he should at his age so money is not a issue haha.
Alright, well that's a pretty nice deck I've listed there. It is almost like a whole new deck but he will see wins with it. Hopefully he can get tourney wins with it, let me know!

Also, just to clarify:

Tragtusk, bonfire, and the hellkite are late-game assists. They really should just be overkill. Thragtusk is stupid good, and he pretty much reverts most damage you will have taken by turn 5 or 6 when you drop him. Bonfire speaks for itself and if you can kill a creature with it, it's totally worth stopping your combo and using it. Hellkite... hellkite is just stupid good and should be played as soon as possible because it's almost a garunteed 5 damage and possible removal. And the swords should finish the job.

The only problem with it is I think he prefers green over red and will want to remain a green heavy deck. I don't think he will want to part with the hydras because after 2-3 turns those hydras become retarded powerful even if you play them as a 2/2. There are several cards in green and swiftsomething boots that give him hexproof. With rancor you can have like a 36/36 trample card by turn 6. I was thinking of Wurmcoil Engine with rancor would be nice but he never really reacted to me recommending it.
Well the problem with the hydra is if you don't get it hexproofed ASAP it's so easy to deal with. It has no immunities and a simple vaper snag ruins what you spent all your mana building up.

If he's really big on staying green he should probably go mono-green ramp. Something like

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Harbor Elf
4x Farseek
4x Thragtusk
4x Rancor
4x Mwulvoni Beast Tracker
2x Wurmcoil Engine
2x Primeval Titan
4x Strangleroot Geist 
3x Green Sun's Zenith
4x Dungrove Elder

22 Forest

And then it would go something like this:

t1) Mana, bird
t2) Mana, bird, Farseek
t3) mana, Mwonvuli Beast Tracker (get Primeval or Wurmcoil), strangleroot geist, swing for 2
t4) mana, drop your bomb, rancor it, swing geist for 3(assuming he was blocked and died)
t5) mana, thragtusk, dungrove elder, swing your bomb
t6) mana, smashface with your giant creatures until you win.

It's slower, but he'll probably have to do this if he likes green that much.

We've tried all green. Its too vulnerable to spells. The hydra doesn't cost as much as you think it does. 2 mana + X. Four mana is ideal for getting him out starting him at 2/2 Then every turn he doubles in strength for no additional mana cost. During that time he should have a geist or two out and one of two possible scenarios happen. The opponent wastes his spells on the geists or the opponent is FORCED to use a spell on the hydra allowing the geist to free roam. If the hydra is left alone for 3 turns he becomes a 16/16 or even a 8/8 after the second turn is difficult to deal with. Throw a rancor on it and you have a game winning card for 4 mana. If it is dealt with then it delayed the opponent and you can throw a rancor on a geist or a huntmaster down with him wasting his spell on the hydra.

I haven't ran the modified deck you supplied to him yet, its like 3 AM haha but I'll see what he thinks and I'll probably think of a way to work in the hydra.

4x Farseek

I think you meant Rampant Growth.

@OP

Check out the latest Top Decks article, it has some pretty good green-based decks.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 

I think you meant Rampant Growth.

@OP

Check out the latest Top Decks article, it has some pretty good green-based decks.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 

Derp, you're right. Forgot farseek doesn't get forests