Brainstorming for Ideas for Lolth's Fortress

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,
 So after three and a half years of twice a month play my group is now leveled to upper epic tier and are approaching the end of the campaign. The group is set to invade the demonweb pits with the pendant of truth in hand that will allow them to slay Lolth once and for all. I've created lots of dungeons, but I want this one to be a very special one. Therefore, if anyone would care to drop any particularly evil ideas for traps, encounters, puzzles, etc. that I could include within Lolth's fortress, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any help!    
If you are playing in the epic levels you need to ask yourself at each step whether what you are doing is epic or not. I know that sounds silly but I see a lot of DMs fall into the trap where the challenges they are throwing at their players are more appropriate for paragon characters or the gods forbid, heroic.

They are going after a goddess. That is a great start imho. Who else would have an interest in this goal? Who would have an interest in stopping them? Meaning, which cosmic beings would be good choices choices to throw into the mix. I think... Oh man, I forgot his name. The diced up god who crawls through the Underdark. He would be a great one to work in.

Also, is Lloth's lair really in the Underdark? I mean, the exterior of her fortress is according to what you mentioned but what about the interior? Would it actually exist within the Underdark or would she have placed it somewhere else in the cosmos? Deciding that gives you some story fodder as well.
If it helps, the context of the story is that Lolth has corrupted the World Tree so that it is acting as an extension of the abyss, and is slowly drawing the rest of the multiverse into the abyss (spawning a new abyssal layer in the process). While most of the deities have collectively agreed Lolth has gone too far and must be eliminated, they are too busy saving the world and their own realms to mount an effective counter-attack. Gruumsh is planning on using several freed but weakened primordials to invade Corellon's realm in Arvandor, and the demon lord Grazz't is acting as Lolth's lieutenant in hopes of claiming the new abyssal layer as his own.

You must have misunderstood me about the location of Lolth's fortress. It is not in the underdark, but in the demonweb pits (the 66th lair of the abyss). I would not oppose having portions of her fortress connect to the underdark (or feydark and shadowdark) via portals, however. It might be interesting to have Lolth's fortress span several planes and layers of the abyss before Lolth herself can be reached.
For me there is only one answer.

If you're going to fight Lolth, it needs to be on a truly colossal spider's web with Lolth in the centre on a black ziggurat throne. She uses the webs to scry and control all of her forces across the multiverse.

Ideally, the web would be located over a great void in the Abyss itself which means getting knocked off the web means the PC risks utter annihilation.

There needs to be gargantuan demonic spiders all over the web. Make them 30th-level minions but give them the ability to capture a PC and restrain them in webbing and drain their blood (aka healing surges). When they die, enormous spider swarms burst out of their bodies. Perhaps other spiders drop down on webbing from another colossal layer of webbing overhead.

But it needs to be even more cinematic. Maybe great geysers of utter evil well up from the Abyss below and both cause damage and threaten to dislodge the PCs. Colossal cave fishers nest in the webbing above and take pot shots at the PCs with lines of webbing that they can then pull up into their nests thus separating the party if care is not taken.

That's all I can think of for now but this simply must take place on the most enormous spiderweb of all time.

Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Visually, it must, of course, be a spiderweb. But Lolth is a goddess. It must be MORE than a spiderweb. I recommend a tesseract map! Here is another one. herrozerro has a link to one that makes it clear where each space leads.

Read up on the tesseract on Wikipedia.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
For me there is only one answer.

If you're going to fight Lolth, it needs to be on a truly colossal spider's web with Lolth in the centre on a black ziggurat throne. She uses the webs to scry and control all of her forces across the multiverse.

Ideally, the web would be located over a great void in the Abyss itself which means getting knocked off the web means the PC risks utter annihilation.

There needs to be gargantuan demonic spiders all over the web. Make them 30th-level minions but give them the ability to capture a PC and restrain them in webbing and drain their blood (aka healing surges). When they die, enormous spider swarms burst out of their bodies. Perhaps other spiders drop down on webbing from another colossal layer of webbing overhead.

But it needs to be even more cinematic. Maybe great geysers of utter evil well up from the Abyss below and both cause damage and threaten to dislodge the PCs. Colossal cave fishers nest in the webbing above and take pot shots at the PCs with lines of webbing that they can then pull up into their nests thus separating the party if care is not taken.

So many good ideas here!! I'm definitely going to use the colossal spider web and the great void of the abyss. I'll probably have her backed up by epic level spider swarms that drain healing surges as well as Eclavdra, her exarch. I might have 8 yolchol's with the ability to look exactly like Lolth (in her drow form) as well, making it difficult to focus fire Lolth until she's in her spider form. 
Cool. I'm glad you liked the ideas.

I also like what Seeker95 suggested: a colossal spiderweb that is also a tesseract really rocks! Two thumbs up.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Sign In to post comments