Need help creating a magic item

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Could someone give me an opinion on the power of magic armor which has a property of granting the wearer 5 temporary hit points at the end of each of their turns?

I'm using inherant bonuses, so the + on the armor really doesn't matter. 

I've seen items which give 5 temp hits at the start of each combat and items which give some amount of resist while bloodied.  I'm thinking this would be similar in that resist would be viable against multiple attacks vs. really only 1 attack a round for the temporary hit points.

Basically I'm trying to beef up the defense of an Avenger playing in my campaign without increasing their AC or NADs, so that leaves me with resist (all), regeneration, healing surges, surgeless healing and temporary hit points.

If this was 3.5e, I would suggest some wondrous item like:

Sunbeam Gauntlets

These steel gauntlets are inlaid with a sunburst design, and feel pleasantly warm to the touch when lit by direct sunlight. On his or her turn, the wearer can take a move action to raise the gauntlets into full sunlight, causing the raw power of the sun to pump through the steel into the wearer, invigorating him with 1d6 temporary hit points. Sunbeam Gauntlets hold 20 charges, but reset to full capacity each sunrise. Cannot be activated at nighttime or any place where sunlight is not directly present, or used by any creature such as Drow that do not naturally live in a sunlit environment. Temporary hit points stack and last for one minute or until the end of an encounter, whichever comes first. Aid, Transmutation. Value: 30,000gp.

But now that I re-read your post you mentioned being bloodied and healing surges, sure signs of 4e, so I guess that won't be much help.

Currently DMing a 3.5e AoW game one night a week. Players are almost through Three Faces of Evil. If you are considering beginning this campaign using this edition, I can help.
Could someone give me an opinion on the power of magic armor which has a property of granting the wearer 5 temporary hit points at the end of each of their turns?

I'm using inherant bonuses, so the + on the armor really doesn't matter. 

I've seen items which give 5 temp hits at the start of each combat and items which give some amount of resist while bloodied.  I'm thinking this would be similar in that resist would be viable against multiple attacks vs. really only 1 attack a round for the temporary hit points.

Basically I'm trying to beef up the defense of an Avenger playing in my campaign without increasing their AC or NADs, so that leaves me with resist (all), regeneration, healing surges, surgeless healing and temporary hit points.

If this is Heroic tier, that seems like a lot of damage absorbtion. Most ongoing damage won't touch him at all. I'd tie it to something interesting like ending his turn next to an enemy, and make it a daily power for the item.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Those gauntlets have a lot of nice flavor to them.  I may have to re-read my old 3.5 books.

And I like the idea of it being based on positioning Centauri.

I had done some quick back-of-the enevelope math and it seems that my combats last 3-7 rounds on average. Asuming he's hit every round, which isn't normally the case, that would be 15-35pts of damage mitigation, so 1-2 healing surges an encounter.

Maybe if I tied the amount to his secondary stat, that would both drop the total down and help it scale. Making it Dex mod +2 temporary hit points would be 4 a round - and if I have them re-applying at the end of his turn then ongoing damage would still kick in, asuming something else hit him in the preceeding turn.
Take a look at the tattoos of heart.

How much extra does this guy need? If there isn't a defender in the group, then is there an extra of some other role that can either help take down enemies faster, provide buffs, or corral the enemies from him?

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy