Dungeon Command Rules Questions/Clarifications

238 posts / 0 new
Last post

First: I love Dungeon Command and have played about a million games since my store got our demo copies in, and I'm really looking forward to running the game day demos.  Thanks for the awesome work.

Ok, a bunch of rules questions!

1. Cowering says it prevents all damage and "any other effects".  Does this include the "damage can't be prevented" effect on Piercing Strike?  Basically, can I cower if my opponent uses Piercing Strike (or some future "damage can't be prevented" effect)?

2. I initially assumed, due to my MTG background, that only Immediate actions and similar creature abilities could be added to a non-empty stack (ie, as a response).  But looking over the rules, it seems like that isn't the case, and that I could also add Minor actions (taken "at any time during its activation") or maybe even standards or moves to an ongoing stack.  Obviously all the other requirements need to be met, like it being that creature's activation and so forth, but in general, what actions can I take as part of an ongoing stack?

The situation that brought this one up: I'm activating my Drider and put Faerie Fire on my opponent's Dwarf Cleric, which resolves.  Then I tap the Drider and play Shadowy Ambush, attempting to hit the Dwarf for a lethal 60.  My opponent reasonably responds by using the Cleric's ability, targeting Faerie Fire to attempt to reduce the damage by 10.  Can I respond with Quick Jab?  Similarly, could I have used Quick Jab first and responded with a standard action attack to a similar attempt?  If I attack an opponent and they respond with a potentially lethal Riposte, could I use my move for the turn to move out of melee range, or use Into The Fray to escape?

3. When do priority stops actually happen in Dungeon Command?  For example, is there an equivalent of the end step priority window in Magic?  The rulebook is pretty clear that you can respond to all discrete actions during the activation phase, but what about other phases?  It seems like triggers can happen any time (like the Shadow Stalker power on the Shadow Mastiff that's used as the rulebook's example) but can you add immediate abilities to the stack then?

Again, the situation that caused the question: My opponent has an injured creature.  During her Deploy phase, she places a Dwarf Cleric adjacent to the injured creature.  Is there a priority stop in the Deploy phase such that she can activate the Cleric, so that she can untap it in her Cleanup phase?

That's it for now.  Sorry the questions are a bit techincal, we're old Magic hands so we tend to have that kind of approach.  Thanks again for the awesome game! 

First: I love Dungeon Command and have played about a million games since my store got our demo copies in, and I'm really looking forward to running the game day demos.  Thanks for the awesome work.

Ok, a bunch of rules questions!

1. Cowering says it prevents all damage and "any other effects".  Does this include the "damage can't be prevented" effect on Piercing Strike?  Basically, can I cower if my opponent uses Piercing Strike (or some future "damage can't be prevented" effect)?

No. Preventing damage by cowering would prevent such things as: Attaching Deep Wound to the target. If the damage is prevented, the card doesn't attach. If a card says the damage can't be prevented, you can't prevent it through any means. The only way to keep the damage from landing would be to kill the attacking creature before the attack clears the stack. 

2. I initially assumed, due to my MTG background, that only Immediate actions and similar creature abilities could be added to a non-empty stack (ie, as a response).  But looking over the rules, it seems like that isn't the case, and that I could also add Minor actions (taken "at any time during its activation") or maybe even standards or moves to an ongoing stack.  Obviously all the other requirements need to be met, like it being that creature's activation and so forth, but in general, what actions can I take as part of an ongoing stack?

All actions technically create their own stacks for a split second. Note that you can't interrupt the middle of an action to create a new stack. The action completes off the stack and moves on. For example, you can't play a minor action mid-move, nor can an opponent play an immediate action card in the middle of your move. They either interrupt the start of the move action or play their immediate after you are done moving. 

The situation that brought this one up: I'm activating my Drider and put Faerie Fire on my opponent's Dwarf Cleric, which resolves.  Then I tap the Drider and play Shadowy Ambush, attempting to hit the Dwarf for a lethal 60.  My opponent reasonably responds by using the Cleric's ability, targeting Faerie Fire to attempt to reduce the damage by 10.  Can I respond with Quick Jab?  

You cannot respond with Quick Jab. It is not played at immediate speed. It cannot interrupt things. 

Similarly, could I have used Quick Jab first and responded with a standard action attack to a similar attempt?  If I attack an opponent and they respond with a potentially lethal Riposte, could I use my move for the turn to move out of melee range, or use Into The Fray to escape?

You can't use standards to interrupt things on the stack. Only immediate cards. 

3. When do priority stops actually happen in Dungeon Command?  For example, is there an equivalent of the end step priority window in Magic?  The rulebook is pretty clear that you can respond to all discrete actions during the activation phase, but what about other phases?  It seems like triggers can happen any time (like the Shadow Stalker power on the Shadow Mastiff that's used as the rulebook's example) but can you add immediate abilities to the stack then?

You can play immediate cards at any point. Normally it is in reaction to an action, but at any point you could do it. 

Again, the situation that caused the question: My opponent has an injured creature.  During her Deploy phase, she places a Dwarf Cleric adjacent to the injured creature.  Is there a priority stop in the Deploy phase such that she can activate the Cleric, so that she can untap it in her Cleanup phase?

Yes, the cleric could deploy and immediately tap to heal an adjacent creature, then untap during your cleanup phase. 

That's it for now.  Sorry the questions are a bit techincal, we're old Magic hands so we tend to have that kind of approach.  Thanks again for the awesome game! 

No problem! Glad you're enjoying it!

Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies.
I would like to add another question. I have two Faerie Fire Order Cards in my Sting of Lolth faction box. One says it's required level is 1 and the other has level 2 as a requirement. The only difference I can see other than that is that one has the gold markings and one the silver meant for 2 players playing with one box. Are these meant to be two different levels? is one a misprint (if so, is the requirement level 1 or 2?) or am I missing something else entirely?
It's a misprint. The correct level for faerie fire. Is level 2.
I'm surprised that the cleric would be able to use his heal ability when deployed since the activation phase is over.  What is special about the cleric that his ability is allowed but others aren't?  I'm assuming you can't activate freshly deployed creatures (move, play order cards, use creature powers, take other actions. p. 8 of rulebook).

Also, on another post, someone else said that the reduction in movement to 1 square when starting adjacent to an enemy creature only applies for the actual movement phase but any order card that allows for additional movement is exempt from this restriction.  Is this true?  Also, what does "priority stop" mean? (if this is important to the answer)

Found the link to the post:
boardgamegeek.com/thread/830719/burrow-a...
I'm surprised that the cleric would be able to use his heal ability when deployed since the activation phase is over.  What is special about the cleric that his ability is allowed but others aren't?  I'm assuming you can't activate freshly deployed creatures (move, play order cards, use creature powers, take other actions. p. 8 of rulebook).

Also, on another post, someone else said that the reduction in movement to 1 square when starting adjacent to an enemy creature only applies for the actual movement phase but any order card that allows for additional movement is exempt from this restriction.  Is this true?  Also, what does "priority stop" mean? (if this is important to the answer)

Found the link to the post:
boardgamegeek.com/thread/830719/burrow-a...

The Cleric is the only figure so far with a Tap ability that functions as an Immediate action.  The Umber Hulk also has a Tap ability, but it specifically says to play it as a standard.  As per the rules, unless this statement otherwise is on the card, you can play any creature Tap ability as an Immediate action, and Immediate actions can be done outside your activation.  This means you can use the Cleric's ability once on your turn and once on your opponent's turn; thus far it seems to be the most powerful single figure in the game.  What was less clear was whether you could use it once it was deployed or if you could only use Immediate actions during some figure or other's activation; the answer established that you can use it any time, so you can use it in the Deploy phase immediately after placing the model.

For the second: I think I made that BGG response, which I guess was a bit misleading?  My understanding is that while you are next to an enemy figure, your Speed stat is 1, whatever it would otherwise be.  This means if you start any kind of move that relies on your speed (normal move or Into the Fray or what have you) while next to an enemy, you can only move 1.  On the other hand, some cards say "move X" or "shift X", like Spring Attack which says Shift 6, attack, shift 6.  In these cases, your speed stat being 1 doesn't matter.  You can also step back one (assuming that gets you clear), then use another action that calls on your speed, since it isn't 1 once you stop being next to an enemy.  For example, if my creature is next to an enemy, I can use the normal move (speed 1), step back one to where I'm clear, then play Into the Fray as a minor (move your speed) and since I'm no longer next to an enemy, I get the creature's full speed.

Obviously I'm not an official source but that's my understanding  
Congratulations on the release of Dungeon Command. The group I game with have really enjoyed playing it. As with new games rule questions do rise.

First question regards moving. During its activation can a creature move its speed then play a card that involves the creature shifting or sliding? For example can “Stalk” be played to move an additional 6 squares after the creature has moved its normal speed? Can the creature take a normal move after it has played “Stalk”? Or does moving once during its activation really mean move once regardless of how?

How does the card “Into the Fray” play? This one has us scratching our head.

On page 13 under the “Distance and Counting” side bar, first bullet says “The acting creature must have a line of sight to the target unless otherwise specified.” So must a creature have a line of sight to the hex it wishes to target with the “Fireball” card? Would this also apply to playing “Fire Trap”?

When it comes to cowering can you use damage reducing cards to first reduce the amount of damage and then decide to cower? For example can you play “Close Call” to prevent 40 damage from a 50 damage attack then cower the remaining 10 damage?

Thanks to the team that put this game together. By all accounts Dungeon Command is off to a good start and we're looking forward to the next expansions.
If you don't mind, I'll take a stab at these, though Chris  may come by and tell me that I'm wrong.

First question regards moving. During its activation can a creature move its speed then play a card that involves the creature shifting or sliding? For example can “Stalk” be played to move an additional 6 squares after the creature has moved its normal speed? Can the creature take a normal move after it has played “Stalk”? Or does moving once during its activation really mean move once regardless of how?

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  No.

In more detail, the Activation phase has the following steps, done in any order:
- Move up to its Speed.
- Play any number of minor action Order cards or use creature powers that do not require a tap.
- Take one action that taps the creature (Attacking, using a standard action Order card, using a power like Confusing Gaze, picking up a treasure, etc.)

Moving is a separate thing from using an Order card.  So, a creature can Move, then use an order card that includes moving.  If the player is using Valnar Trueblade as his commander, he can even have his creatures use their Standard actions to move again.

On your turn, you can play Into the Fray.  It is a minor action, and the creature moves up to its speed.  It still can move up to its speed if it hasn't already done the Move part of its activation.

On page 13 under the “Distance and Counting” side bar, first bullet says “The acting creature must have a line of sight to the target unless otherwise specified.” So must a creature have a line of sight to the hex it wishes to target with the “Fireball” card? Would this also apply to playing “Fire Trap”?

"The acting creature must have line of sight to the target unless otherwise specified."  Since Fireball and Fire Trap do not specify that LoS is not needed, the creature using those order cards will need LoS to the target squares.

When it comes to cowering can you use damage reducing cards to first reduce the amount of damage and then decide to cower? For example can you play “Close Call” to prevent 40 damage from a 50 damage attack then cower the remaining 10 damage?

The Stack, pg. 9:
"After any action resolves, all players get another chance to respond with new actions. Any new action goes on top of the stack, and players can respond to that action as normal."

So, yes, you can negate damage with an Immediate order card, then Cower any remaining damage, since Cowering does not tap the creature.
RE: "So, yes, you can negate damage with an Immediate order card, then Cower any remaining damage, since Cowering does not tap the creature."

Page 14, under Cowering, says "The Morale reduction is determined by the total damage that would be taken, evif if it exceeds the creature's Hit Points.  You cannot split the damage between Hit Points and Morale..."

Do those two quotes contradict each other?
RE: "So, yes, you can negate damage with an Immediate order card, then Cower any remaining damage, since Cowering does not tap the creature."

Page 14, under Cowering, says "The Morale reduction is determined by the total damage that would be taken, evif if it exceeds the creature's Hit Points.  You cannot split the damage between Hit Points and Morale..."

No, they do not. In the first one the damage becomes less because of the use of an immediate order card. The second one just says that any remaining damage cannot be divided between Hit Points and Morale, you either take all the remaining damage as a hit on Morale or as damage to your creature (possibly killing it and also costing Morale, but that's not really the point here).

The "total damage taken" referred to by your second quote is actually the damage remaining from what happened in the first quote.....if that makes more sense. Don't really know how else to explain it.

Another question: Can a Commander's ability be used as an "action" in a stack?

example: My activated creature with 10hp left attacks with Quick Jab (and is therefore untapped), enemy plays Riposte which would kill my creature. Can I play Rhynseera the Alarphon's ability to draw one order card in the hope it's one that will prevent damage? (a wild gamble, but that's not the point, the point is wether I can or not)
Yes, the cleric could deploy and immediately tap to heal an adjacent creature, then untap during your cleanup phase. 

I used this to great effect (though still ultimately losing the game) in one of the demos I ran on Saturday. If my day hadn't already been totally made, this would have made it.

No, they do not. In the first one the damage becomes less because of the use of an immediate order card. The second one just says that any remaining damage cannot be divided between Hit Points and Morale, you either take all the remaining damage as a hit on Morale or as damage to your creature (possibly killing it and also costing Morale, but that's not really the point here).

The "total damage taken" referred to by your second quote is actually the damage remaining from what happened in the first quote.....if that makes more sense. Don't really know how else to explain it.

Does Cowering go onto the stack? Exactly when it goes on the stack might make a difference to the final damage calculation.
Another question: Can a Commander's ability be used as an "action" in a stack?

example: My activated creature with 10hp left attacks with Quick Jab (and is therefore untapped), enemy plays Riposte which would kill my creature. Can I play Rhynseera the Alarphon's ability to draw one order card in the hope it's one that will prevent damage? (a wild gamble, but that's not the point, the point is wether I can or not)

Yes, you can do that. Rhynseera's ability doesn't reference using an action like Valnar's does. As long as it is your turn, you can use her ability at any point, even if you are in the middle of resolving a stack. Its basically the same thing as sifting through your hand looking to see if you have a response. 
Two more questions (thanks for clearing things up so far Chris (in this and other threads), excellent job):

1) On starting deployment, can I use the special rules that some cards provide? That is, can I deploy on a Magic Circle or even inside my opponents deployment zone (Shadow Mastiff). I guess I could because of the "Exception Based Game" remark in the rulebook, but would like to know for sure.

2) The other question is on Treasure Chest markers. According to the rulebook I need only bring enough Treasure Chest markers to cover treasure squares on my own tiles. Does this mean every player places markers on their own tiles? And if so, what's to stop me from only bringing markers with the 3 on them. I can't find anything in the rules prohibiting it. So far in friendly games I've played we've always used one box's markers so that there always were randomly divided 1,1,2,2,3,3 treasure chest markers. Also in the rulebook on page 5 it says "Once all tiles are placed, mix up the Treasure Chest markers and place one on each square on the battlefield, with the number side down" so...do I mix up the Treasure Chest markers I alone brought or do I mix them with my opponents. Either way would seem kinda silly when people are allowed to bring just the "3" number markers doesn't it? Every treasure square would just have three treasure on it bypassing the need for mixing. I'd be happy if someone could clarify for me.
The other question is on Treasure Chest markers. According to the rulebook I need only bring enough Treasure Chest markers to cover treasure squares on my own tiles. Does this mean every player places markers on their own tiles? And if so, what's to stop me from only bringing markers with the 3 on them.

For this one, I'd generally go with the tournament rules -- 1 set of (1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3) shared between the players, randomly assigned to the available treasure squares.

Otherwise, I'd say each player brings a full set, randomly picks as many as are necessary for the tiles they brought, and then each place on your own half (making sure to grab back just your treasure tokens at the end of the game).

If you don't mind, I'll take a stab at these, though Chris  may come by and tell me that I'm wrong.

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  No.

In more detail, the Activation phase has the following steps, done in any order:
- Move up to its Speed.
- Play any number of minor action Order cards or use creature powers that do not require a tap.
- Take one action that taps the creature (Attacking, using a standard action Order card, using a power like Confusing Gaze, picking up a treasure, etc.)

Moving is a separate thing from using an Order card.  So, a creature can Move, then use an order card that includes moving.  If the player is using Valnar Trueblade as his commander, he can even have his creatures use their Standard actions to move again.

On your turn, you can play Into the Fray.  It is a minor action, and the creature moves up to its speed.  It still can move up to its speed if it hasn't already done the Move part of its activation.

"The acting creature must have line of sight to the target unless otherwise specified."  Since Fireball and Fire Trap do not specify that LoS is not needed, the creature using those order cards will need LoS to the target squares.

The Stack, pg. 9:
"After any action resolves, all players get another chance to respond with new actions. Any new action goes on top of the stack, and players can respond to that action as normal."

So, yes, you can negate damage with an Immediate order card, then Cower any remaining damage, since Cowering does not tap the creature.

Looks like these answers stand due to no response to the contrary.
Two more questions (thanks for clearing things up so far Chris (in this and other threads), excellent job):

1) On starting deployment, can I use the special rules that some cards provide? That is, can I deploy on a Magic Circle or even inside my opponents deployment zone (Shadow Mastiff). I guess I could because of the "Exception Based Game" remark in the rulebook, but would like to know for sure.

Yes. You can use deployment based powers even on starting deployment. 

2) The other question is on Treasure Chest markers. According to the rulebook I need only bring enough Treasure Chest markers to cover treasure squares on my own tiles. Does this mean every player places markers on their own tiles? And if so, what's to stop me from only bringing markers with the 3 on them. I can't find anything in the rules prohibiting it. So far in friendly games I've played we've always used one box's markers so that there always were randomly divided 1,1,2,2,3,3 treasure chest markers. Also in the rulebook on page 5 it says "Once all tiles are placed, mix up the Treasure Chest markers and place one on each square on the battlefield, with the number side down" so...do I mix up the Treasure Chest markers I alone brought or do I mix them with my opponents. Either way would seem kinda silly when people are allowed to bring just the "3" number markers doesn't it? Every treasure square would just have three treasure on it bypassing the need for mixing. I'd be happy if someone could clarify for me.

We suggest 1,1,2,2,3,3 randomized and placed throughout the entire map. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />We suggest 1,1,2,2,3,3 randomized and placed throughout the entire map. 

This might need to be standardized for tournament purposes... 1 is closest to your start area, 2 is next closest, 3 is 3rd closest. Otherwise a player could have an significant unfair advantage over another player, which sours the tournament experience.

Yes. You can use deployment based powers even on starting deployment. 

What about deployment powers from other deployed creatures, like the Drow Priestess? Could I deploy her, then deploy a spider outside of start zone using her summon spider ability?

What about deployment powers from other deployed creatures, like the Drow Priestess? Could I deploy her, then deploy a spider outside of start zone using her summon spider ability?

Yes.

The situation that brought this one up: I'm activating my Drider and put Faerie Fire on my opponent's Dwarf Cleric, which resolves.  Then I tap the Drider and play Shadowy Ambush, attempting to hit the Dwarf for a lethal 60.  My opponent reasonably responds by using the Cleric's ability, targeting Faerie Fire to attempt to reduce the damage by 10.  Can I respond with Quick Jab?  

You cannot respond with Quick Jab. It is not played at immediate speed. It cannot interrupt things. 

Similarly, could I have used Quick Jab first and responded with a standard action attack to a similar attempt?  If I attack an opponent and they respond with a potentially lethal Riposte, could I use my move for the turn to move out of melee range, or use Into The Fray to escape?

You can't use standards to interrupt things on the stack. Only immediate cards. 

Chris,

I was a little surprised to see this, as my reading of the rules matched the OP. I checked them again and found the area that probably led to confusion.

The first paragraph under The Stack reads:

"... Each player, including you, gets a chance to respond to it with further actions. In almost all cases, a response is an immediate action." (Emphasis from the rules, not my own.)

This seems to suggest that standard or minor actions could be used to respond to the stack, but that it's an uncommon occurence as only the acting model can perform those actions during the current activation. Combined with the description of minor actions on page 12, and the OP's logic is pretty clear.

If only immediate actions can be used to respond, it might help to flag the quoted paragraph for revision in any further iterations of the DC rules.

Thanks!
Shawn

- Move up to its Speed.

First off, I am not a Magic player, so the idea of tapping is new to me. I find the bold statement above quite confusing. Where in the rules is a tapping action clarified? I see the definition of "tap". I also see the explanation that there is a symbol that indicates that a specific action causes a tap. What seems missing is a general or a specific statement about what taps, other than a standard action.

The text of the activate phase seems to indicate that I can move, play order cards and use creature powers in any order. What clarifies that I can't use the creature power attack after I play a standard action?

The only place I can find any text that says using a creature power to attack can't happen after playing a standard order card is this thread.

In fact, I find the whole tapping requirement so confusing that the game is getting unplayable without a giant string of house rules.

Help me out, please.

You tap to use standard actions and immediate actions. You also tap to assist.

Since standard action Order cards and normal attacks are both standard actions, you can't use both in the same turn unless you can untap the creature somehow (most likely using a different Order card).

Same thing means you can't have the same creature use multiple immediate actions in the same turn since it will already be tapped (unless the immediate action you use states that the creature is untapped after using the immediate action).

This is the reason why you untap twice in the same turn (Refresh and Cleanup). This allows you to use both standard actions on your own turn and immediate actions on your opponent's turn.
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
Hi evebody thanks so far for all infos, alread help me a lot. I just get my first set today and play some rounds. Really enjoy a lot all the magic felling + D&D !

So guys please give me a hand, if i do a standard act (in that case a atack)... if i use a minor card to untap this creature, can i atack again in the same round using that same creature like some magic cards ? Like double hit ? What happening was I use my mage to cast a fireball then i untap him use a minor card, then i atack with him again, using this time his normal range atack...

And there is some order cards that i can use to Increase the dmg of my normal standart atack right ? Like i hit and use a standard order card to bust the dmg. When u say i cant use a standad act order + a normal atack u are talking about a card like Fireball right ?

and when i summon a new creature is like magic sickness at the first turn cant atack or do movents with the difference here we can use the tap powers like the cleric ?

sorry about the badspelling
Hi evebody thanks so far for all infos, alread help me a lot. I just get my first set today and play some rounds. Really enjoy a lot all the magic felling + D&D !

So guys please give me a hand, if i do a standard act (in that case a atack)... if i use a minor card to untap this creature, can i atack again in the same round using that same creature like some magic cards ? Like double hit ? What happening was I use my mage to cast a fireball then i untap him use a minor card, then i atack with him again, using this time his normal range atack...

And there is some order cards that i can use to Increase the dmg of my normal standart atack right ? Like i hit and use a standard order card to bust the dmg. When u say i cant use a standad act order + a normal atack u are talking about a card like Fireball right ?

and when i summon a new creature is like magic sickness at the first turn cant atack or do movents with the difference here we can use the tap powers like the cleric ?

sorry about the badspelling

I don't think the term summoning sickness works for this games...

A turn has 4 stages...

Stage 2 is Activation (the stage you can attack/move).
Stage 3 is Deployment (the stage where you can play new units)

So when you deploy a new unit, you've already passed the activation stage, for this turn. Mind you if you play a card like "Behind Enemy Lines" you could deploy a unit and then move/attack with it, all in the same turn.

As for the first part of you post, each unit is allowed to Move its speed and also make 1 standard action per turn. The standard action could be attacking/playing a standard card/playing an immediate card... But once you do any of this you must tap the unit. Neverthelss, if you are able to untap it with a minor card, then you would get a second standard action.
Thx for the help Mike =)

I think i got the rest now is just play and having fun hehe
Two Questions:
1  Deployment out of sequence, the Behind Enemy Lines card states "immediately deploy 1 adventurer creature in an ooponent's start zone."
What the card doesn't state, which one player argued at a demo, is that you need to have enough leadership available to deploy the creature...I ruled that you would still need the leadership available before you could deploy it, but you could deploy it out of the normal sequence, which would allow it to act that same turn. Was I correct?

2 where can I find actual tournament rules? Our local store might have me run some tournaments, but I need a bit more info about the format, timing, etc.
Two Questions:
1  Deployment out of sequence, the Behind Enemy Lines card states "immediately deploy 1 adventurer creature in an ooponent's start zone."
What the card doesn't state, which one player argued at a demo, is that you need to have enough leadership available to deploy the creature...I ruled that you would still need the leadership available before you could deploy it, but you could deploy it out of the normal sequence, which would allow it to act that same turn. Was I correct?

2 where can I find actual tournament rules? Our local store might have me run some tournaments, but I need a bit more info about the format, timing, etc.

1. There is in fact no summoning sickess in this game. As a result, if you manage to get a creature on the board during your "activation" phase, then you can most definately activate (move/attack) that creature right away.

Page 6 of the rulebook with regards to the word "deploy".

"You can deploy total Levels of creatures up to your commander’s starting Leadership score. You don’t have to deploy that many Levels of creatures, but you cannot exceed that number."

2. I could have sworn I remember reading a thread about a tournament rules document floating around. But I couldn't find it.

They were originally posted in the proxies thread, which has fallen to like page 3.  The link is:

www.wizards.com/wpn/Document.aspx?x=2012...
Two Questions:

1. There is in fact no summoning sickess in this game. As a result, if you manage to get a creature on the board during your "activation" phase, then you can most definately activate (move/attack) that creature right away.

Page 6 of the rulebook with regards to the word "deploy".

"You can deploy total Levels of creatures up to your commander’s starting Leadership score. You don’t have to deploy that many Levels of creatures, but you cannot exceed that number."

2. I could have sworn I remember reading a thread about a tournament rules document floating around. But I couldn't find it.

Thanks, that's what I felt, just wanted some back up on it.

They were originally posted in the proxies thread, which has fallen to like page 3.  The link is:

Thanks, that just lead to the general home page...but I found the page eventually...apparently it doesn't let you do a direct link to it...

Thanks, that just lead to the general home page...but I found the page eventually...apparently it doesn't let you do a direct link to it...

Actually that one used to work as a direct link, I guess they changed the location Frown

Yeah, I tried too...it just pasted the same one!
While we're talking about the "Behind Enemy Lines" card:
Usually, you need a creature to play order cards on. Can you play Behind Enemy Lines, even if you don't have any creatures on the board?
We ran into this in one of our games. I killed all my opponent's creatures; on his turn he had a BEL card, but no creatures to play it on.
Check out my blog over at Roving Band of Misfits, or follow me on Twitter
While we're talking about the "Behind Enemy Lines" card:
Usually, you need a creature to play order cards on. Can you play Behind Enemy Lines, even if you don't have any creatures on the board?
We ran into this in one of our games. I killed all my opponent's creatures; on his turn he had a BEL card, but no creatures to play it on.

BEL: you are deploying creatures from your Creature Hand, not on the board. The creatures also Deploy during the Activation Phase, rather than the Deploy Phase, which means they can immediately act.

The card has a level and is a minor action. I can't imagine why it wouldn't require a creature. 
 Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask in this one. Also, my apologies if this has already been cleared up somewhre else.

Are there any other ways to gain morale besides the Treasure Tokens? I've gone through the rule book a couple times but I didn't see anythng else besides the Order Card "if this unit is in your starting area at the beginning of your turn gain 4 Morale".

Thanks
 Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask in this one. Also, my apologies if this has already been cleared up somewhre else.

Are there any other ways to gain morale besides the Treasure Tokens? I've gone through the rule book a couple times but I didn't see anythng else besides the Order Card "if this unit is in your starting area at the beginning of your turn gain 4 Morale".

Thanks

The only way to gain morale through core rules is treasures, and Behind Enemy Lines is IIRC the only way to gain it off a card right now.  But we certainly might see more cards that do it in the future.
 Well, boogers. I was hoping I might have missed a rule somewhere.
 I mean, I know that when I burn down my opponents Copper Dragon on his second turn after deployment MY morale goes up a little. Why not my Warbands?  
Sign In to post comments