Blackguard with an undead summon, what are my options?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have tried searching under the terms and I have had no luck. I am just curious how one could make it possible to have a blackguard with a summoned skeleton/zombie/undead. My character is level 8 and I am considering Multiclassing into Warlock so I can take the familiar feat so that I may have a spectre to at least follow me around for RP reasons.

I am currently a Blackguard/Executioner so changing my multiclass is a little to late, but I would still like to know of any options that can let me do this. It would be great if there was a feat or PP I dont know about (I am relatively new to Dungeons and dragons and have been trying to learn all the rules and the DM has been assisting me, but he was not too sure about this question.) Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Take Fey Beast Tamer theme.  Refluff Fey beast Tamer theme.

Done.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
After looking at that, great option. But I have very little CON so I took Born under a bad sign for the hitpoints because this character acts as an offtank/striker using Virtuous strike or Ardent strike. With High charisma born under a bad sign was too good to pass up.. If there is no other options I will consider retraining my theme and take the HP loss, my defenses are very solid so 10 hit points or so lost might not be too bad if I can get a pet. Thank you for the input Invader.
Theme is not Background.  They are separate elements; you can have both.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Theme is not Background.  They are separate elements; you can have both.

You are correct, you have made my day. Thank you again Invader. It was much appreciated.
You could also beg your DM for a Girdle of Skulls (the summoned skeleton's stats are here). As you're level 8, you're just high enough level to find a level 12 item as treasure.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

You could also beg your DM for a Girdle of Skulls (the summoned skeleton's stats are here). As you're level 8, you're just high enough level to find a level 12 item as treasure.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Are their higher level items with similar summoning capabilities?

Your first idea is the best if you want a familiar.

Otherwise you could,

MC into Shaman
Pick up companion spirit
Make you companion spirit be some sort of skeletal ghost (fluff) 

Otherwise you could,

MC into Shaman
Pick up companion spirit

Even better if its the ghost of some guy your character murdered in your char's background, bound to his will.

Otherwise you could,

MC into Shaman
Pick up companion spirit

Even better if its the ghost of some guy your character murdered in your char's background, bound to his will.

Love it!

Otherwise you could,

MC into Shaman
Pick up companion spirit

I am assuming you need 13 WIS to MC into Shaman. I will look into this though, thanks a lot.
13 into a dump stat is fine.
The Shide Lord theme ( fey wild ) and Moteborn theme ( elemental chaos) also have summon powers that could be refluffed to a ghost or skeleton.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Hell, having a couple of points in WIS if you can afford to do so is no bad thing for a Blackguard; it opens up otherwise-useless Paladin feat support which relies on WIS mod.

Hell, having a couple of points in WIS if you can afford to do so is no bad thing for a Blackguard; it opens up otherwise-useless Paladin feat support which relies on WIS mod.

Out of curiosity, what kind of paladin support would be useful with just 13 wis...? I can see it being useful for the battle awareness MC feat, but resist 1 to marked enemies doesnt quite seem worth the feat.

I think re-fluffing a theme is the best route for me. I got bit by a vampire so I have an option to get cured or MC into vampire. So now I get to see if I can make a vampire tank. Thank you for all the help everyone.
Vampire/Blackguard as a Defender? It won't work.

But if you are sure you want to try that:

Play Human Blackguard so you get the extra at-will.
Challenging Strike will let you mark your target. 
-or-
Foamgather Heritage -> Foamgather Warrior will let you constantly lock down your target with a net.

You could otherwise take Half-Orc as a race so you can get Thirst for Blood (which gives you an extra healing surge).

------------------------------------------

If you got bit by a Vampire and want to make your re-fluff work for a Defender; 

Vryloka Brawler Fighter with Vampiric Heritage

Vampire/Blackguard as a Defender? It won't work.

But if you are sure you want to try that:

Play Human Blackguard so you get the extra at-will.
Challenging Strike will let you mark your target. 
-or-
Foamgather Heritage -> Foamgather Warrior will let you constantly lock down your target with a net.

You could otherwise take Half-Orc as a race so you can get Thirst for Blood (which gives you an extra healing surge).

------------------------------------------

If you got bit by a Vampire and want to make your re-fluff work for a Defender; 

Vryloka Brawler Fighter with Vampiric Heritage

I made a new thread concerning vampire defenders.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Blackguard without the power of summon undead its a crime , as it is the destructions of the alignments that they make in 4e. Its like have a druid without animal companion. With our DM we decided to add it as a natural Blackguard power, because lose rol coherence multiclassing something that it must be natural in a character its useless.

lose rol coherence multiclassing something that it must be natural in a character its useless.

I don't know what you're saying but I see the word coherence in there which I'm pretty sure is hilarious.

lose rol coherence multiclassing something that it must be natural in a character its useless.

I don't know what you're saying but I see the word coherence in there which I'm pretty sure is hilarious.

LOL my thoughts exactly.
Blackguard without the power of summon undead its a crime , as it is the destructions of the alignments that they make in 4e. Its like have a druid without animal companion. With our DM we decided to add it as a natural Blackguard power, because lose rol coherence multiclassing something that it must be natural in a character its useless.

It is a crime. I was quite shocked when I started playing 4e, picked my favorite class and saw no summon or disease spells/poisons (That i know of). I was running Blackguard/Executioner so I could at least use poisons.
Perhaps MC cleric to get the cleric power "Servitude in Death", so as to get undead minions? That's my personal favorite undead-creating power, particularly since the undead minion doesn't take your actions.

LOL my thoughts exactly.

Im sorry im not a native english speaker, perhaps you are better writting in spanish than what i am wrtitting in english and you make my life easier.
As i cannot express it correctly i will give an example

Its like if i had to multiclass a druid with a wizard to get an animal companion.

I hope thats more clear

www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Raise_Undead_(4e_Ritual)

The link is not working properly, so you have to type it into you browser manualy of copy and paste.
This could be a possible solution.

You could as affore mentioned mc Druid or wizard and do a daily swap. I would reckomend Druid as the mist of the summons have auto actions and are wis based.
1) Have fellow player pick undead char
2) Develope some teamwork
3) Role play Blackguard saying the Undead is your summoned evil companion, opens up roleplay in a strange way
   a) Undead could be a defender type, or controller able to assist in getting Blackguard combos rolling
   b) Revenant Goblin, Kobold, ect for more boss/grunt related roleplay fun
   c) Undead could be Warlock, Cleric, Telepath(thrall heard), Invoker ect. Blackguard is actually the helper, but too proud to accept the truth.
   d) Corrdinate feats/tattoos for max effect
   e) Now your henchman can join you in the fight (where he belongs)
   f) Undead could be holy Paladin, further frustrating your foolish DM's attempt at foiling your fiendish plots. Bonus points if you ditch undead and pick pure Goblin, in plate, with wrist biter (1d4 damage every missed melee attack), and have it run into a pack of minions.  

The possibilities are endless! 
Sign In to post comments