White/Black Control (Standard legal until RtR drops)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have no idea how this would pan out in casual play, or at FNM, because I still only play with my wife at home, but I've found this deck to be highly effective against others I've built.  If nothing else, it's a tremendously fun concept that feels like it has a lot of potential.  I'm looking for critiques, advice, and substitution suggestions—perhaps particularly for sideboard options.

The gist is simple: set up early-game life gain with Suture Priests, Cathedral Sanctifiers, and Inquisitor Exarchs, who can be Cloudshifted as blockers to cause further life swings.  Blood Artists and Suture Priests punish players for both summoning and losing creatures, while you continue to gain life by playing them.  Every Cloudshift or trip through the Conjurer's Closet can net you life from one of many different sources—or directly strip your opponent of it. Stonehorn Dignitary locks out your opponent's combat step while setting you up for your finishers: the Massacre Wurms. Their ability to repeatedly pass out -2/-2 penalities when shifted and closeted is severely disruptive.  And together, a single Blood Artist and a Massacre Wurm will usually turn a Killing Wave into an instant win condition.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
I decided to repost this over here (I posted in the Rules thread also) to maybe get more deckbuilding discussion going. 

"My buddy has been running a deck similar to this for a couple of weeks now on MTGO.  When the deck gets going it is brutal.

He runs Skinrenders and Undying Evils also.  Last night in2HG he had a Closet and a Skinrender on the board.  Was able to cast Skinrender.  Attacked with other Skinrender and was blocked and killed, he cast Undying Evil on it, briinging it back and then again bouncing it with the closet.  Thats nine -1/-1 counters in one turn.  It was awesome."

I read your reply in the other thread about the decisions of what to put in and my buddy has also been going back and forth with life gain guys and removal and trying to decide whats best.  I have forwarded this thread to him so maybe he might post some of his insight into his decisions.   

The one card he hasn't used is Blood Artist, which having seen him play his current deck and how much creature death there is (especially with undying evils) I could see this card needing at least a tryout.

Blood Artist is a horrifically effective card in many, many scenarios.  I've been tempted to run a playset in virtually every black deck I build; the temptation is proving hard to resist.  When combined with Killing Wave, even a single Artist can quickly and ferociously tip the scales.  I've won so many games with that combination it isn't even funny.  If you get two of them out at once, fuhgeddaboutit.

I'd honestly have to say that Blood Artist / Killing Wave is probably my absolute favorite two-card combo in the history of the game.  If you or your buddy haven't used them together yet, you're missing out pretty badly.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
Blood Artist is a horrifically effective card in many, many scenarios.  I've been tempted to run a playset in virtually every black deck I build; the temptation is proving hard to resist.  When combined with Killing Wave, even a single Artist can quickly and ferociously tip the scales.  I've won so many games with that combination it isn't even funny.  If you get two of them out at once, fuhgeddaboutit.

I'd honestly have to say that Blood Artist / Killing Wave is probably my absolute favorite two-card combo in the history of the game.  If you or your buddy haven't used them together yet, you're missing out pretty badly.

This combo is good in most cases, but if you run into something like a U control deck, it won't be as good as it could be.
I suppose I should have clarified my position a bit: against nearly anything reliant upon creatures, this combo kills.  It's a slow-motion train wreck against any kind of weenie deck.  I heart it so much.