YMTC Idol 10: Round 5

77 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. The second round claimed four more victims, followed by another three. Three more lost their way, leaving ten remaining. Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
chinkeeyong
Degauss
Detektor
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Freyjann
Imidazoline
Mono789
razorborne
silasw
Yushang

[color=purple]Round 5 Criteria[/color]:
Magic has explored plenty of settings, many of them bizarre, but all of them rather neutral. Mirrodin adventured away from the standard by showing us an entirely metallic world, and Ravnica's steampunk nature was a bit different, but in general, sets take place on planes that keep to some general principles that allow for each of the colors to be easily represented withint such settings. The great things abuot Magic, though, is its willingness to push the envelope.

Assignment:
Choose one of the five settings below to make into a set (in theory, at least). Your job is to design five cards, one of each color, to represent that set. Your cards should emphasize how each of the colors has dealt with the abnormal environment. Show a variety of card types and rarities to add emphasis (there isnt a set number you need to follow, just a request for more variety than 5 common creatures). If you require a blurb for your set, please keep it brief (100 words max, though that's not a strict guideline).

Settings: 1. Underwater plane; 2. Floating plane; 3. Barren plane; 4. Underground plane; 5. Dream plane

You have seven days to submit your card (added some days due to the amount of cards; if you need an extension, ask and I might consider it). Two contestants will be eliminated this round.

Good luck!
Whoever made that comment saying that Rush loves to force us to invent sets: This is probably your fault.
Whoever made that comment saying that Rush loves to force us to invent sets: This is probably your fault.

It was raz.

And, yes, it is. 

It was raz.

And, yes, it is. 

I'd like to publically apologize for Rush being awful. I'm sorry for my role in Rush_Clasic being just terrible. it was an oversight and in the future I will do my best to avoid allowing Rush to be straight-up the worst

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Goddam. Third set.

Sketching / blurby stuff - if anyone's interested.

Dreams. Dreams are definitely what I'm picking, then even if I make a creature that's a pickled onion sandwich equipped with a mayonnaise helmet I can just say, oh hey, but it's a dream so screw you Rush.

Ahem. Anyway.

It's true that a dream plane opens up pretty much anything. I think the way I'll go draws pretty heavily from a concept that JV got down in one of my Butterside contests. The premise being that the plane s collapsing. The primary antagonist color in this case is green, which is heavily into actual stuff and sees the whole dream plane as some sort of sham that needs to be naturalised.
I'm going to go pretty hard and also outline red as the primary protagonist color, seeking to keep old of this awesome dreamscape where it can do whatever it wants, however it wants.
This is all setting up a bit of a bleed where green steps into some black territory in dealing with exile; getting stuff there to represent it 'waking' (to wherever that may be) and being shut out of that awesome dream you just had but will never quite remember.
I'm also thinking it will let me play with my favourite creature type (incarnations), and possibly attempt some funky stuff with the avatar type, 'cause for some reason that sounds like a natural fit - again, maybe that's a good space to represent frequent visitors to...

Solreign...

Visiting and all things temporary should be a focus - thus, extended stays can be dangerous.
Also, playing with colour bleeds in an 'unreal' world seems like fun.

White:
White is a standard user of Solreign, taking the opportunity to live lives once forgotten, revel in the riches of another, or just be the hero they always wanted.

Nightwalker Hero |
Creature - Avatar Human {C}
First strike
When Nightwalker Hero enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it if you have no cards in exile.
With no distractions in the outside world, loneliest tended to forge the mightiest heroes.
2/1

Black:
Black is pretty at home playing each side against the other for all kinds of fees. Trapping some in the dreamworld, while terrifying some so much that they never want to return. It's a great business that they don't really want to end.

Nightmare Cage |
Enchantment
, Discard two cards: Exile target creature. Your opponents can't cast spells that share a name with cards exiles by Nightmare Cage.
No-one to see the Cage has ever set foot in Solreign again. Or slept for that matter.

Blue:
The origins of the plane probably harken back to some kind of blue invention, but all that means is blue stuff is at home. It has no concept that the world is a fallacy, and so lacks any kind of trade / knowledge centres you might expect on other planes. The trick will be to keep it simple, but definitely blue. Sticking by this, if blue is the 'natural part' of this plane, it needs to feed on the stuff that travels through. This really is a good inverse of the natural roles of green and blue, which makes me feel pretty good about this assuming I don't break it.

Drainfish School |
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't untap and has "at the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature."
When enchanted creature dies, put a 1/1 blue fish illusion creature token onto the battlefield for each -1/-1 counter on it. 

Red:
Red avatars are pretty powerful, and lead the charge of wanting to keep Solreign free and dreaming. They see the best of the world, the pure freedom, but not necessarily that people use it to oppress, to do business, to control. Sometimes, these things just overflow. Individual notes n this one, I wanted to hit the new / bleed space in red, while still synergising with historically red mechanics (such as Disintegrate effects). I think this one hits that space OK.

Addiction |
Creature - Avatar Incarnation {M}
If a permanent would be exiled, put it on the battlefield under your control instead.
If a creature dealt damage by Addiction this turn would die, exile it instead.
The best of Solreign was always somehow marred by the knowledge that tomorrow night would always be better than today.
4/4

Green:
Nasty sounding, very solid green dude, probably Legendary that operates outside the world.

Rearth Worldwaker |
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Ancient {R}
Hexproof
When Rearth Worldwaker enters the battlefield, each player exiles their graveyard.
Awakened - As long as you have more cards in exile than an opponent, Rearth gets +3/+3 and has trample.
"I wonder Veil-Cracker; if you are truly present in this world, what will then happen when I rouse it from its sloth?"
4/4

Entry:
I honestly didn't mean to go into this creating a set that was an internet microcosmy thing, but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it.

Nightwalker Hero |
Creature - Avatar Human {C}
First strike
When Nightwalker Hero enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it if you have no cards in exile.
With no distractions in the outside world, loneliest tended to forge the mightiest heroes.
2/1

Nightmare Cage |
Enchantment {R}
, Discard two cards: Exile target creature. Your opponents can't cast spells that share a name with cards exiled by Nightmare Cage.
No-one to see the Cage has ever set foot in Solreign again. Or slept for that matter.

Drainfish School |
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't untap and has "at the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature."
When enchanted creature dies, put a 1/1 blue fish illusion creature token onto the battlefield for each -1/-1 counter on it. 

Addiction |
Creature - Avatar Incarnation {M}
If a permanent would be exiled, put it on the battlefield under your control instead.
If a creature dealt damage by Addiction this turn would die, exile it instead.
The best of Solreign was always somehow marred by the knowledge that tomorrow night would always be better than today.
4/4

Rearth Worldwaker |
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Ancient {R}
Hexproof
When Rearth Worldwaker enters the battlefield, each player exiles their graveyard.
Awakened - As long as you have more cards in exile than an opponent, Rearth gets +3/+3 and has trample.
"I wonder Veil-Cracker; if you are truly present in this world, what will then happen when I rouse it from its sloth?"
4/4

Stelveil

Explore the Infinite

Long ago, the World Sun shattered into millions of tiny fragments, each imbued with a spark of magic. Blown myriad leagues apart by the impact of the supernova, the fragments flared into glittering lights as they drifted through the infinite void, and the Tapestry of Stars was born. From the Tapestry sprang dozens of wandering worlds, each the size of many oceans, upon which civilizations rose and fell; and around them, their lesser brothers the Comet-stars traced blazing trails through the Cosmic Spheres. So it was that the plane of Stelveil came to be.

Show
Noble Teranoth

Creature – Beast Nomad (C)
4/3

Vigilance

"As I emerged from the wrecked shuttle, the strange creatures knelt and raised their tusks in greeting. Gingerly, I reached out to touch one's fur, and in their eyes I saw the beginning of an alliance that spanned worlds."
–Kiveldis, scribe of Nocturna

Show
Infinity's Embrace

Instant (C)

Starfall – Flip target creature onto the playing area. If that creature doesn't land on a permanent, exile it.

"The Tapestry of Stars has no loose threads, no ends. Fall from a voidskiff, and you're doomed to fall forever."
–Iseran, veilfarer

Show
Astral Charger

Creature – Pegasus (U)
2/3

Flying
Starfall – You may cast Astral Charger as though it had flash during an opponent's declare blockers step. If you do, flip it onto the playing area. You may have any number of attacking creatures that Astral Charger lands on become blocked by Astral Charger.

The angels of the Belt of Lycares send their steeds to watch over the cosmos.

Show
Lightning Scute

Creature – Elemental Insect (R)
1/1

Haste
You may move Lightning Scute while another card is being flipped onto the playing area.

To survive the electrical storms that wrack Solus Prime's moons, some scutes evolved to outrun the thunder.

Show
Regent of the Heavens

Creature – Leviathan (M)
8/8

Flying
When Regent of the Heavens enters the battlefield, return all other creatures with flying to their owners' hands.
When Regent of the Heavens dies, return all permanents without flying to their owners' hands.

The Starless Night is revered by moonfolk all over Jahasa, for it is the night that leviathans obscure Nocturna's cloudless sky.

Show
716. Manual Dexterity Effects

- 716.1. Some cards and effects from the Limited Edition Alpha, Limited Edition Beta, Revised Edition, Legends and Stelveil expansions rely on manual dexterity.

- - 716.1a A manual dexterity effect is any effect which relies on the physical manipulation of Magic cards, and the results thereof.

- - 716.1b Manual dexterity effects are affected by many external factors, including the physical dexterity of the players in the game, external forces affecting the movement of game materials (such as a fan affecting the trajectory of a flipped card), and the physical constraints of the setting in which the game is played (it may not be possible to stand up while playing on an airplane). It is for this reason that manual dexterity cards are banned in official tournaments. Nevertheless, the rules for the resolution of manual dexterity effects are included for completeness.

- 716.2. While playing with manual dexterity rules, the playing area is divided into a number of flat, rectangular, planar areas equal to the number of players, each containing the permanents controlled by one player in the game. Each area measures 19 3/8" by 15" (49.2 cm by 38.1 cm), or in other words the measurements of an Ultra Pro Magic: the Gathering playmat.

- - 716.2a Each player's personal playing area may be positioned anywhere, regardless of orientation, angle of inclination or distance, as long as it conforms to the above measurement and the physical items representing permanents on the battlefield can remain in place without moving or falling.

- - 716.2b Manual dexterity effects have no effect on cards in any zone other than the battlefield.

- 716.3. Some permanents on the battlefield may be represented by physical items other than traditional Magic cards.

- - 716.3a A permanent on the battlefield may be represented by a token card. A token card is any card which has the same dimensions and approximate thickness as a traditional Magic card, but is not a traditional Magic card.

- - 716.3b A permanent on the battlefield may be represented by a physical item that's neither a traditional Magic card or token card, such as a coin, a die, or a plastic token. There are no restrictions on what items can be used to represent permanents on the battlefield as long as they are recognizable and manipulable by all players and fit completely within the playing area.

- 716.4. While playing with manual dexterity rules, a permanent represented by a traditional Magic card or token card can't be completely covered by other cards. If there are one or more cards on top of it, the top 3/10" (0.8 cm) of that card, or in other words the part of a traditional Magic card which contains its name and mana cost, must remain completely uncovered.

- 716.5. While playing with manual dexterity rules, a permanent represented by any physical item other than a traditional Magic card or token card (for example, a coin used to represent a 1/1 white Soldier creature token) can't cover any other physical item representing a permanent on the battlefield, whether in whole or in part.

- 716.6. While tapping a permanent, untapping a permanent, turning a permanent face up, turning a permanent face down, flipping a permanent, unflipping a permanent, transforming a permanent, causing a permanent to enter the battlefield, or causing a permanent to leave the battlefield, that permanent's controller alone may change the position of his or her permanents. At any other time, no player may change the position of any player's permanents.

- 716.7. Some effects allow players to flip cards onto the playing area.

- - 716.7a To flip a card onto the playing area, pick that card up and release that card from a height of at least one foot (30.5 cm) above the playing area, so that it turns over completely at least once, doesn't touch any physical item that doesn't represent a game object, and lands within the personal playing area of one or more players.

- - 716.7b A card flipped onto the playing area "lands on" a permanent if it's touching the physical object representing that permanent after landing.

- - 716.7c If a player attempts to flip a card onto the playing area, but fails to do so because one of the above requirements is not fulfilled, that player may try again indefinitely.

- - 716.7d Objects represented by physical items other than traditional Magic cards or token cards can't be flipped onto the playing area.

- - 716.7e If an object couldn't be flipped onto the playing area for some reason, but an effect references one or more permanents that the flipped object "lands on," the outcome of the flip is undefined. The object neither lands on those permanents nor does not land on those permanents.
Example: Infinity's Embrace says, "Starfall – Flip target creature onto the playing area. If that creature doesn't land on a permanent, exile it." Alan casts Infinity's Embrace and chooses a 1/1 white Soldier creature token represented by a six-sided die as the target. When Infinity's Embrace resolves, the Soldier can't be flipped onto the playing area because it's neither a traditional Magic card nor a token card. Because the flip never happened, no permanent "wasn't landed on" and the Soldier isn't exiled.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

This is the most cards you'll have to make for one round in this contest. I wanted to have this round far enough in that there was less chance of no-shows and proof of dedication. Y'all are in the top ten; time to get gritty!
Let's go underwater.

Iquatana (the underwater plane represented on [c]The Æther Flues[/c] has the ability to transform creatures into other creatures at random. That sort of ties in with the inherent fluidity of water, so let's say this set has the theme of change, opportunity and adaptability. There also seems to be a bit of a subtheme with tokens and counters, but that wasn't the original intent.

White: Sandy Shallows
The Iquati are said to have created Narcomoebas to preserve their lost genealogical memory, and this communal spirit suggests that they could be white-blue or even pure white. I don't want them to be a subset of Merfolk, so let's take the opportunity to introduce a new race to Magic. Iquati are invertebrates, which live in stony exoskeletons halway between coral reef and shellfish shell. These organisms tend to be extremely long-lived in real life (partly due to their durability), which would make memory very important to them. They also embody the theme of the set because, like hermit crabs, they can switch their fleshy bits into new bodies depending on the occasion.

Luraq, Iquati Nacrarch
Creature - Shellfolk Cleric [MR]
When Loraq enters the battlefield, put an Equipment artifact token named Chitin Armor onto the battlefield attached to it. Chitin Armor has equip and "Equipped creature gets +2/+2".
Double strike
Whenever Loraq deals combat damage, you may exchange two Equipment tokens attached to Shellfolk you control.
0/1

One of the set's token cards lists the available shells (there are only four or five, and they're all simple - e.g. Seashell Armor: +1/+1 and equip , Coral Armor: +3/+3 and equip ) so that it can be substituted for any of them.

Blue: Open Ocean

There's not too much to say about adapting to the open ocean. For one, the liquid environment makes it much easier to grow to a massive size than it is on land. However, Iquatana's sea is riddled with unpredictable AEther currents, which makes it much harder to nagivate without side effects. You always have to have a plan B, and be able to switch direction in the blink of an eye. On Iquatana, alertness pays off more than sheer size or swimming speed.

Collapse the Probabilities 
Instant [u]
Search your library for an instant or sorcery card with X in its mana cost. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost. If you do, X is 1. Then shuffle your library.
"The Iquati study the past for its lessons. We measure the future directly."
-Squeth, Cephalid statisticrat

This is a joke about wave functions. Get it? Wave functions?

Black: Abyssal Zone

The abyssal zone consists of the deepest trenches of the ocean, where the pressure is intense, no light penetrates except for bioluminescence, and strange creatures survive on falling scraps and the occasional whale carcass. From gulper eels to blobfish, they're all pretty freaky to look at.

Cthuloteuthis
Creature - Vampire Squid [R]
Whenever Cthuloteuthis deals damage to a player, that player discards his or her hand and draws that many cards minus one.
Whenever Cthuloteuthis deals damage to a creature, that creature's controller sacrifices it and searches his or her library for a creature card with the same converted mana cost minus 1. If he or she does, that player puts that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles his or her library.
1/3

Vampire squid are a real type of deep-sea squid. It was either that or an angler fish, and black doesn't really do any more Lure effects. Besides, I thought it was appropriate that the black representative of a change-based set should induce transformation in others - draining their shapes, as it were.

Red: Hydrothermal Vents

Sulfurclaw Commando 
Creature - Homarid Warrior [C]
Tidal (This enters the battlefield with a tide counter on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, put a tide counter on this. When there are four tide counters on this, remove all tide coutners from it.)
[1 - Low Tide] Sulfurclaw Commando gets -1/-1 and has first strike.
[3 - High Tide] Sulfurclaw Commando gets +1/+1 and attacks each turn if able.
3/2

This is a modernization of the Homarid mechanic, obviously; the card template would look a little like the ones for leveler creatures. I thought this was appropriate because we would need to bring back some older underwater races to fill the set, Homarids are bright red, and many crabs live around hydrothermal vents anyways. Red wouldn't be the only colour with this mechanic, but such vents are notoriously erratic (many die away suddenly, killing entire ecosystems) and it ties well into red's erratic nature as well as the "change/adaption" theme of the set.

Green: Kelp Forests

Green doesn't have that many aquatic creatures, except potentially the anurids. In real life, frogs lay eggs underwater, which metamorphose through hormonal changes into tadpoles and then into adults with legs. The tadpoles are good at being dodgy until they grow big enough to transform, and the adult frogs are good at jumping around, ribbiting and eating things. There's no land on Iquatana, but this plane's anurids have adapted to navigate the kelp mats and giant lilypads that form the basis of their ecosystem. Their adaptation to breathe air allows them to surprise prey from above, where nothing else can survive.

Anurid Eggclutch 
Enchantment [R] 
Anurid Spawn enters the battlefield with X egg counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove an egg counter from Anurid Spawnclutch. If you do, put a 1/1 green Frog Spawn creature token onto the battlefield.
, Sacrifice Anurid Eggclutch: Frog Spawn tokens you control become 3/3 Frog Beasts.

You can get a lot of power out of this card, but the more anurids you try to hatch, the more opportunity your opponent gets to destroy them before they come of age. The transformation comes whenever you activate the ability instead of whenever the egg tokens run out, so you can surprise your opponent whenever you want to.

I'm still editing some of these.
Yay, more set creation.

4. Underground plane

For the set description, I feel it's pretty basic (underground!), so I'll let the cards speak for themselves \o\

White:

Scouting Parties
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control untaps, you may pay . If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may pay . If you do, untap it.
"Never venture into the Docile Caverns alone." -- Entry Sign

This shows the basic scouting party-tendancy of the planedwellers.  They don't ever like going alone, or even at all, but if they have to, they gather as much help and supplies as they can get.  For costing references, I used Dragon's Blood, which isn't too strong, but also an uncommon, letting this do a bit more, with the colored mana attached.

Blue:

Mezmerizing Corper
Creature - Spirit  (R)
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, you may have ~ possess it. If you do, gain control of that creature.
 1/4
--
Ɛ/Ɛ
˙ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ uɹnʇǝɹ ɹǝʌǝu sǝʌɐɔ ɹǝdɹoɔ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʇuǝ oɥʍ ǝsoɥʇ
˙pǝןɐǝʌǝɹ sǝıɹɐɹqıן ɹıǝɥʇ ɟo pɹɐɔ doʇ ǝɥʇ puɐ spuɐɥ ɹıǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ʎɐןd sʇuǝuodo

I can't get the flavor text italized, so I hope that doesn't hurt anything.
Nonflipped version of the flavor/rules

Opponents play with their hands and the top card of their libraries revealed.
Those who enter the Corper Caves never return the same.
3/3

This is the new frame-changing card of the plane.  Whenever a creature 'possesses' another creature, you flip the possessor to cover up the text box and power and toughness of the creature.  The possessor's new text box and power and toughness replace the possessed's power/toughness/abilties.  The creature types stay the same.  The possessed creature is considered exiled in using the abiliity 'possessing' the creature, which would be spelled out on lower rariety creatures. 

Black:

Potential Hazard  
Sorcery (U)
Each player exiles three cards from his or her hand or graveyard.
Possibility is the greatest fear to all that dwell beneath the granite.

This goes into the hand theme that the set would have, along with Falling Rocks.  The people are in constant danger of about everything.  This shows that people can still be frightened all the same.  Mechanically, it's a very hard-hitting discard spell, as long as everyone has a free graveyard.  Those that are more used to things dying (having a graveyard), are less susceptible to fear of the unknown.  8)

Red:

Falling Rocks
Instant (C)
Stability -- ~ deals X damage to target creature, where X is 7 minus the number of cards in its controller's hand.
Bottomless holes, spiders, and a daily heaping of cave ins make life in Untergun the best experience ever -- for those who love adventure, of course.

The second new mechanic here is Stability, which is 7 - (cards in hand).  The more cards you have, the more stable your caverns are, which leads to more resistance to the dangers of the caves.  Additionally, there would be white/blue/etc cards that rewarded you for the more cards you had in your hand.

Green:

Cavern Spider
Creature - Spider Fungus (U)
Morph 3G
When ~ is turned face up, target creature attacks or blocks this turn if able.
"Limited by space, nature adopts any piece possible. For these spiders, they have formed a symbiotic relationship with the moss clusters, appealing to the need for light."
-- Timvok, Cataloger
 3/5

Just a standard to show the last (returning) ability.  Morph is a natural here, as it shows the darkness covering up everything.  Not everything can be seen in the caverns, especially the dangers.   The card itself is a riff on the glowy-fungus that's natural to the trope.
\o/
Underwater Plane, Arithia, centered around Merfolk living in Sanctuary.

Sanctuary has been under seige by pirates for as long as anyone can remember.  Once technology had advanced so greatly as to allow all manner of creature the courtesy of life under the sea, all of the problems that plagued the overworld quickly manifested themselves near the home of the Merfolk.

A constant fight to maintain their way of life and their culture has slowly taught the Merfolk how to utilize the secrets in the depths against their attackers.  Whether they can recreate a peaceful life to go back to remains unseen.

Notes, etc.: Pirates & Merfolk make up a big part of the creature types, but I wanted to give a more broad spectrum of designs, rather than just list a few of the common/uncommon pirates (I thought just giving the lord would be saucy enough ).
These cards were originally designed with a few gold mana costs (and then I re-read the criteria...!).  I think the slight mods I made to the original costs work well in their respective colors, especially with it being an underwater plane.  The color pie has to shift a little!

Onto the cards...

Sanctuary Armorsmith  
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an artifact equipment token named Sword into play.  It has 'Equipped creature gets +1/+0.  Equip '

"A sharp sword and sharp wit make great allies." - Sanctuary Armorsmith
2/1

Camouflaged Snapfish  
Creature - Fish (U)
Flash
When Camouflaged Snapfish enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature an opponent controls.
3/2 

The ancient denizens of Arithia call it 'Zungal Banani', or 'Dinner that fights back'.

Merfolk Runner    
Creature - Merfolk Scout (C)
Whenever Merfolk Runner attacks, you may draw a card.
If Merfolk Runner dies during combat, discard a card.

A scout is only as good as the information he procures, assuming he is alive to share it.
2/2

Steam Geyser  
Instant (R)
Steam Geyser deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures. Tap those creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Boiling steam bursting from flues outside of Sanctuary can permanently scar or blind.  The Merfolk have learned to turn these openings into traps to ward off invaders.

Mogdan, Liege of Plunder   
Legendary Creature - Pirate Rogue (MR)
Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 for each permanent you control but don't own.
Tap 3 untapped pirates you control: Gain control of target noncreature permanent.

Never in twenty years has Mogdan been apprehended during a heist.  It is a demoralizing thing to be robbed down to the very garbs you wear, one item at a time.
5/5
Well, this one's a doozy indeed.  I think I already have an idea of what I want to do, so I'll get to it soon enough.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Alright, floating plane it is.

Irates Enforcer
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Flash
Whem Irates Enforcer enters the battlefield, you may put target creature that dealt damage to you this turn on top of its owner's library.
They are the police of Natosa, rocketing to the aid of others as fast as a blink of the eye.
2/2

Police forces in this world use devices kind of like jetpacks to zip around from island to island when they need to.

Fayor, Fearless Explorer
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Scout (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library.  If it shares the same converted mana cost as another card exiled in this way, you may draw a card.
"Others fear these waterfalls going down to who knows where.  I'm not, though.  I'm a pretty strong swimmer myself."
2/2

One of the defining features of some floating islands are the waterfalls that flow off into the abyss below.  Fayor is one of the few who actually seeks to go down as far as possible through these waters to see what, if anything, lies below.

Necrotic Wings
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
As an additional cost to cast Necrotic Wings, exile a creature card in your graveyard.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.

As you can imagine, one of the most useful abilities to have on a plane of floating islands of varioius sizes is the ability to fly.  Some necromancers discovered a creative solution to such an issue.

Rocky Tumble
Instant (C)
Rocky Tumble deals 2 damage to target creature.
Focus - If that creature was the target of another spell or ability this turn, Rocky Tumble deals 8 damage to that creature instead.

Of course, one of the main dangers of these floating islands is falling off.  Sometimes you just slip and that's the end of things.

Uncharted Pioneering
Instant (U)
Search your library for a land card and put in onto the battlefield.  It gains, "When this land becomes tapped, exile it."  Then shuffle your library.
Some of Natosa's greatest discoveries float away before they can even be explored.

Congratulations!  You just found this beautiful new floating island!  Too bad it started floating away soon afterwards.  You should probably get off of there if you don't want to end up stranded.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Settings: 1. Underwater plane; 2. Floating plane; 3. Barren plane; 4. Underground plane; 5. Dream plane

damn it Rush stop presenting me sets of options to break down you know I'm gonna do all of them.
the secret to designing Dominion cards
flavor criteria! my favorite! basically I am of the belief that flavor can be glued on to anything. it can certainly help shape things, but finding a good mechanical identity is going to be the real challenge. the question is, what would happen on these worlds, that would tie in to the mechanics of the set? how would the constraints of these worlds, flavorfully, be reflected in actual gameplay? well, let's see!

Underwater Plane
obviously, flying is out. everything can float to wherever it needs to be. you can't soar over your opponent's heads in water, 'cause they can just swim right up to meet you. beyond that, though, what would a world full of water look like? most importantly, is there a surface? can you swim up forever? if there is a surface, what happens there? obviously, there are no land masses. but are there air-breathing creatures? maybe that's where the birds are, allowing some flying to creep in. but where do they rest? maybe they can float, and just sleep on the surface of the water.

one thing that being underwater lets you do is be much, much bigger and more terrifying. the fact that the water supports you reduces a lot of stress on your physical structure, making being much larger much simpler. on the other hand, there are also tiny life-forms in the sea. a size-matters mechanic? possible. tokens versus giant individual dudes? sure, why not? but a lot of the nuances of the sea seem hard to translate to mechanics. how would one represent pressure differentials? a lack of light? solutions could be found but I don't think they'd be elegant.

Floating Plane
contrasting to the last one, this plane would be all about flying. with floating land masses, the ability to fly would allow for much simpler travel. however, floating land masses were already a thing in Zendikar.

Barren Plane
I'm tempted to go with this, because it allows me to go back to Alexandris. the whole flavor of the set was that the end of the world was coming, and all that remained of life had concentrated into a single city to protect itself from the growing wasteland, gathering all of the plane's wisdom to preserve it in the face of the coming end. it's not quite "barren", since the single city remains, but I feel it's close enough. mechanically, Alexandris was a library set. they were collecting all knowledge on the plane into a single location and digging through to try to find solutions to their impending doom. I could work with this, but some further thought has shed some light on some fatal flaws with one of the marquee mechanics of Alexandris. I could just assume some solution would be found and just not design with that mechanic, but I feel like it'd be a problem I have to solve and I'm not sure how.

Underground Plane
this has a lot of the problems that underwater does, but I like it better. of course, I'm required by law to bring back dwarves if I do this, and the flavorful issues of the basic lands would be annoying but solvable. (see: Ravnica basics. Island? you mean Aqueduct? same thing, right?) beyond that I'd have to address the issue of light. for art reasons we'd have to have torches everywhere, but on the other hand creatures that evolved in a lightless environment wouldn't need them, as they'd have developed means of seeing in pitch-black. some sort of light-emitting fungus would solve that, though, and that's a common thing in fantasy settings. the concepts of night and day would, of course, not exist. how this translates mechanically, though... I mean, obviously, flying isn't a thing. not even a little bit. beyond that, I'm not sure. what is the mechanical implication of living underground? there'd be more benefit than normal to living in a community, since a) building out a place to live on your own is more difficult, and b) danger lurks behind every cave wall. so we'd have large communities of, say, dwarves all living in a single giant cavern, lit by glowing moss. political intrigue? eh. what else? this is again one of those worlds suited to giant monsters, coming from the deep. actually, that'd make it harder to build big communities, since giant burrowing wurms could crash through your cavern at any second. so nomadic tribes. that's the ticket. giant nomadic tribes, adept at quickly building new metropoli. alright that's our main thing. I feel like this set calls for LD, as the destructive force of the movement of its large beasts. the problem is LD isn't fun. so we could have a mana acceleration theme too? representing the struggle of the intelligent life to keep their world alive in the face of constant destruction? definitely land-oriented, at least. not like Zendikar, though. I want things to care more about you having land then playing it. I want LD to be less crippling, to show the dwarves resilience to destruction. that means that things need to generally be cheap. but I also want big dudes. I have to represent the giant monsters leaving these trails of destruction. so how to work them in? like I said, finding ways to make LD less crippling will help this. but I need to also put in a ramp theme. the dwarves build back up their communities quickly. I'm not sure how to balance this against the LD theme but I think it could be interesting if done right.

Dream World
nah, I'll leave this to the more flavorfully-minded among us.
going with underground. there's a description in the sblock.

Khoumvell Settler-
Creature-Dwarf Soldier (C)
Whenever a land you control is destroyed, you may put a Cavern land token with ": Add to your mana pool." onto the battlefield.
"We will build our home, and when the Wurms come, we will build it again. Our triumph will be survival in the face of unimaginable behemoths."
2/1

Basin Ward-
Instant (U)
Return target land you control to its owner's hand.
Retrace
Few things are as precious to the settlers as water. Few things are as hard to find and easy to lose. Few things are as worth protecting.

Deepling Savage-
Creature-Horror Barbarian (R)
Whenever a Horror creature dies, destroy target non-Horror creature.
The dwarves whisper of the Deeplings. The Deeplings whisper only of death.
3/2

Unrelenting Tremors-
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a land. If you do, destroy target land.
Worse things than Wurms lie in the depths of Torvar.

Quake Crasher-
Creature-Wurm (M)
Haste, Trample
When Quake Crasher enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
When Quake Crasher dies, return all land cards from all graveyards to the battlefield.
The scent a Wurm leaves behind can deter other beasts for months. Wurmtrail communities thrive in the wake of destruction.
6/6

didn't make a planeswalker because those don't actually represent the plane they are on. didn't do an artifact 'cause colored, same with land. didn't do a sorcery because they're the same as instants. 

Settler is an obvious hate bear. it turns your stone rains into cavernmakers. a necessary defense in an LD-rich land. the flavor is straightforward.

the ward showcases the returning mechanic, and helps protect your important lands from destruction. obviously it's not an auto-cast against LD, since you discard a land to get a land in your hand, so you have to decide whether the land in play is more important. a land-centric set, even one that does LD a lot, needs to have special lands because special lands are fun, so sometimes you'll need to save your Valakut or Emeria by discarding a mountain. it's not a powerhouse, but it's got its uses. also there will probably be combos of some sort.

savage is mainly there to show off that the set isn't all about destroying lands. horrors the depths of the earth have long been a fantasy staple, so this seemed like a good place to make Horror tribal. the deeplings are the smaller more intelligent horrors, but the set will also feature big, smashy, terrifying horrors.

the Tremors is an armageddon in slow motion. note that it sacrifices your land, so that you can't use it in combination with things like the settler to have an infinite flow of lands, or any other benefit you get from destroyed lands. some of the reasons I don't think it's broken: it's best in decks with low curves, which run fewer lands, which means you'll have fewer to pitch to it than a control opponent, and it'll also be harder to get to 5 in the first place. if you run more lands to support it, you risk getting flooded if you don't draw your tremors. that said, it's very strong. I'm not denying that.

the Crasher is a Crasher. it obviously blows **** up, but once it passes, it leaves behind a temporary safe space to build in, and in a world of LD you're likely to get back more lands than it destroyed. it suffers a little bit of O-Ring syndrome, but a two-card, minimum-7-mana combo to armageddon doesn't seem broken.

The Realms of Jovel are an archipelago of floating terrain, launched above the tainted black clouds by an ancient paxomancer in an attempt to stop the war which had devastated their world. Between the isolation and environment, peace flourished, until the inhabitants of the realms eventually forgot why they lived above the Fellfog, and war fell upon them again. While winged beasts and flying vehicles rule the skies of Jovel, most combat between realms are fought conventionally, with powerful realmwarpers teleporting troops and enemies across their floating lands, shaping the course and terrain of battle.

Novice Realmwarper
Creature — Ota Wizard U
, : Exile target attacking creature. Return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking under its owner’s control at the beginning of that player’s next combat phase.
“No, I don’t know where he went — I’m just glad he went away this time!”
1/2

Laximar Hoverpod
Artifact — Vehicle C
As long as Laximar Hoverpod is paired with a creature, it is a 3/3 Drone creature with flying in addition to its other types.
Pilot (, Tap an unpaired creature you control: Pair that creature with this for as long as it remains tapped. You may choose not to untap it during your untap step.)

Revenant Warlord
Creature — Shade Warrior R
: If Revenant Warlord has less than 5 power, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
As long as Revenant Warlord has 5 or more power, other Shade creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch.
The Fellfog has not forgotten the sins of the past, and soon its grim clouds will be stained red.
2/1

Upchuck
Instant C
As an additional cost to cast Upchuck, sacrifice a creature without flying.
Upchuck deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature’s power to target player or target creature with flying.
“What goes up must bring something down.”
—Gorsk Stumparm, ogre philosopher

Home of the Hunt
World Enchantment U
If Home of the Hunt is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Creatures have trample.
Creatures with multiple instances of trample get +2/+0.
Let's go underground! Imagine the world of Arkon, where there's no surface, just rock all the way up. Massive caverns are joined by perilous, snaking tunnels. Light comes from luminescent crystals, firefly-like creatures, and magic. There will be drills.

Daring Pathlighter 
Creature - Human Cleric [C]
: Target creature gains vigilance until end of turn.
2/2 
"Follow my light, and you will find the way." 

Delve Into the Depths 
Sorcery [R]
Reveal the top ten cards of your library. Put all of them with converted mana cost 4 or greater into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.
"These underwater caverns hold secrets beyond our wildest imaginations, if we can only look deep enough."
- Turgon, Master Researcher

Darkworld Fiend
Creature - Horror [u]
Morph
: Darkworld Fiend gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1
Some caverns in Arkon never see a glimmer of light. The fiends ensure they never will.

Dwarven Drillmaster
Creature - Dwarf Shaman [R]
When Dwarven Drillmaster enters the battlefield, search your library for up to X Mountain cards, where X is the number of Dwarves you control.
Discard a land card: Put a +1/+1 counter on target Dwarf.
3/3
"What do we dig for? Gold! How do we do it? Drills! When do we do it? All the time!"
- Dwarven mining chant

Crawling Thallid  
Creature - Fungus [C]
Whenever Crawling Thallid deals combat damage to a player, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
2/2
Fungi are the silent scourge of the caverns, patiently claiming more and more territory as their own.
It looks like 2 entries that aren't done yet, though one of those only needs one more card.
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Yeahyeah.  Busy weekend.
\o/
****eeyong is a brave, brave man.

Seconded.

Seconded.

I prefer to think of myself as the most subtle troll on the forums.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Done. \o/
\o/
Sorry to keep you waiting, I'm finishing my entry as soon as possible
Sorry to keep you waiting, I'm finishing my entry as soon as possible

This far into the competition, we don't enjoy eliminating people just for non-participation. I can't keep everyone waiting forever, though. I allowed for extra time because this assignment was daunting, so I'll grant some. Just don't take too long or I'll have to move on without you.
3) Barren plane

Olum is a wide plane in which once humans lived in peace with nature. Then, nearly a century ago, the plane which was once a florid human settlement was shaken by a cataclysm that reduced everything to rubble. Now nature is taking the plane back, colonizing human ruins and rebuilding a new civilization, relearning everything from scratch, and developing its own budding culture even without the help of humanity. Olum will belong to elementals from now on...

(Side note: Quick is a supertype that renders both the card type Instant and the keyword Flash obsolete. Any card that can be played like an instant has the supertype "quick". For this specific reason, instant cards are now called "quick sorceries")

Cast Out

Sorcery
Exile target player. Return it to the game at the beginning of end step (Objects controlled by exiled players don't exist)
You come from dust, and dust will welcome you
  - Lif-kin expression meaning "get lost"

Vaporille 
Creature - Illusion
Flying
When you draw §, you may reveal it and cast it as if it were quick
Guessing the shape of clouds was a popular way of killing time among the Lif-kin, until clouds decided to join the game
2/2

Price of Secrets 
Quick Sorcery
You draw two cards and each opponent gains 2 life
Eze spent all his early life studying the stars, the rotation of the celestial spheres and the creation of life. He lost his youth, but he learned how high the price of secrets can be, while developing a deep hatred for stars

Fir Physicist 
Creature - Elemental Wizard
: Destroy target tapped artifact
1/1
Fir-kin never knew the meaning of "destroy", having always been using the word "invent" for a lot of things

Rubbledwell
Sorcery
Draw a card from the top of your graveyard
Cycling
Nature teaches the same lesson every day. It's you... you are different
Exile target player. Return it to the game at the beginning of end step

Oh God, wat
Exile target player. Return it to the game at the beginning of end step

Oh God, wat

The choice was between this and "target player phases out", but I've always wished I could exile some unpleasant players

EDIT - Ok, I added some reminder text to clarify how to deal with an exiled player 
So, you effectively blink every game object that player controls?

What happens if you do this at instant speed in response to a spell being cast or an ability being activated or a declaration of attack? Same thing as with Time Stop, they fizzle?
it's generally poor form to critique submissions before the round has closed, especially if you're not an active contestant.

damn it Rush stop presenting me sets of options to break down you know I'm gonna do all of them.
the secret to designing Dominion cards
flavor criteria! my favorite! basically I am of the belief that flavor can be glued on to anything. it can certainly help shape things, but finding a good mechanical identity is going to be the real challenge. the question is, what would happen on these worlds, that would tie in to the mechanics of the set? how would the constraints of these worlds, flavorfully, be reflected in actual gameplay? well, let's see!

Underwater Plane
obviously, flying is out. everything can float to wherever it needs to be. you can't soar over your opponent's heads in water, 'cause they can just swim right up to meet you. beyond that, though, what would a world full of water look like? most importantly, is there a surface? can you swim up forever? if there is a surface, what happens there? obviously, there are no land masses. but are there air-breathing creatures? maybe that's where the birds are, allowing some flying to creep in. but where do they rest? maybe they can float, and just sleep on the surface of the water.

one thing that being underwater lets you do is be much, much bigger and more terrifying. the fact that the water supports you reduces a lot of stress on your physical structure, making being much larger much simpler. on the other hand, there are also tiny life-forms in the sea. a size-matters mechanic? possible. tokens versus giant individual dudes? sure, why not? but a lot of the nuances of the sea seem hard to translate to mechanics. how would one represent pressure differentials? a lack of light? solutions could be found but I don't think they'd be elegant.

Floating Plane
contrasting to the last one, this plane would be all about flying. with floating land masses, the ability to fly would allow for much simpler travel. however, floating land masses were already a thing in Zendikar.

Barren Plane
I'm tempted to go with this, because it allows me to go back to Alexandris. the whole flavor of the set was that the end of the world was coming, and all that remained of life had concentrated into a single city to protect itself from the growing wasteland, gathering all of the plane's wisdom to preserve it in the face of the coming end. it's not quite "barren", since the single city remains, but I feel it's close enough. mechanically, Alexandris was a library set. they were collecting all knowledge on the plane into a single location and digging through to try to find solutions to their impending doom. I could work with this, but some further thought has shed some light on some fatal flaws with one of the marquee mechanics of Alexandris. I could just assume some solution would be found and just not design with that mechanic, but I feel like it'd be a problem I have to solve and I'm not sure how.

Underground Plane
this has a lot of the problems that underwater does, but I like it better. of course, I'm required by law to bring back dwarves if I do this, and the flavorful issues of the basic lands would be annoying but solvable. (see: Ravnica basics. Island? you mean Aqueduct? same thing, right?) beyond that I'd have to address the issue of light. for art reasons we'd have to have torches everywhere, but on the other hand creatures that evolved in a lightless environment wouldn't need them, as they'd have developed means of seeing in pitch-black. some sort of light-emitting fungus would solve that, though, and that's a common thing in fantasy settings. the concepts of night and day would, of course, not exist. how this translates mechanically, though... I mean, obviously, flying isn't a thing. not even a little bit. beyond that, I'm not sure. what is the mechanical implication of living underground? there'd be more benefit than normal to living in a community, since a) building out a place to live on your own is more difficult, and b) danger lurks behind every cave wall. so we'd have large communities of, say, dwarves all living in a single giant cavern, lit by glowing moss. political intrigue? eh. what else? this is again one of those worlds suited to giant monsters, coming from the deep. actually, that'd make it harder to build big communities, since giant burrowing wurms could crash through your cavern at any second. so nomadic tribes. that's the ticket. giant nomadic tribes, adept at quickly building new metropoli. alright that's our main thing. I feel like this set calls for LD, as the destructive force of the movement of its large beasts. the problem is LD isn't fun. so we could have a mana acceleration theme too? representing the struggle of the intelligent life to keep their world alive in the face of constant destruction? definitely land-oriented, at least. not like Zendikar, though. I want things to care more about you having land then playing it. I want LD to be less crippling, to show the dwarves resilience to destruction. that means that things need to generally be cheap. but I also want big dudes. I have to represent the giant monsters leaving these trails of destruction. so how to work them in? like I said, finding ways to make LD less crippling will help this. but I need to also put in a ramp theme. the dwarves build back up their communities quickly. I'm not sure how to balance this against the LD theme but I think it could be interesting if done right.

Dream World
nah, I'll leave this to the more flavorfully-minded among us.
going with underground. there's a description in the sblock.

Khoumvell Settler-
Creature-Dwarf Soldier (C)
Whenever a land you control is destroyed, you may put a Cavern land token with ": Add to your mana pool." onto the battlefield.
"We will build our home, and when the Wurms come, we will build it again. Our triumph will be survival in the face of unimaginable behemoths."
2/1

Basin Ward-
Instant (U)
Return target land you control to its owner's hand.
Retrace
Few things are as precious to the settlers as water. Few things are as hard to find and easy to lose. Few things are as worth protecting.

Deepling Savage-
Creature-Horror Barbarian (R)
Whenever a Horror creature dies, destroy target non-Horror creature.
The dwarves whisper of the Deeplings. The Deeplings whisper only of death.
3/2

Unrelenting Tremors-
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a land. If you do, destroy target land.
Worse things than Wurms lie in the depths of Torvar.

Quake Crasher-
Creature-Wurm (M)
Haste, Trample
When Quake Crasher enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
When Quake Crasher dies, return all land cards from all graveyards to the battlefield.
The scent a Wurm leaves behind can deter other beasts for months. Wurmtrail communities thrive in the wake of destruction.
6/6

didn't make a planeswalker because those don't actually represent the plane they are on. didn't do an artifact 'cause colored, same with land. didn't do a sorcery because they're the same as instants. 

Settler is an obvious hate bear. it turns your stone rains into cavernmakers. a necessary defense in an LD-rich land. the flavor is straightforward.

the ward showcases the returning mechanic, and helps protect your important lands from destruction. obviously it's not an auto-cast against LD, since you discard a land to get a land in your hand, so you have to decide whether the land in play is more important. a land-centric set, even one that does LD a lot, needs to have special lands because special lands are fun, so sometimes you'll need to save your Valakut or Emeria by discarding a mountain. it's not a powerhouse, but it's got its uses. also there will probably be combos of some sort.

savage is mainly there to show off that the set isn't all about destroying lands. horrors the depths of the earth have long been a fantasy staple, so this seemed like a good place to make Horror tribal. the deeplings are the smaller more intelligent horrors, but the set will also feature big, smashy, terrifying horrors.

the Tremors is an armageddon in slow motion. note that it sacrifices your land, so that you can't use it in combination with things like the settler to have an infinite flow of lands, or any other benefit you get from destroyed lands. some of the reasons I don't think it's broken: it's best in decks with low curves, which run fewer lands, which means you'll have fewer to pitch to it than a control opponent, and it'll also be harder to get to 5 in the first place. if you run more lands to support it, you risk getting flooded if you don't draw your tremors. that said, it's very strong. I'm not denying that.

the Crasher is a Crasher. it obviously blows **** up, but once it passes, it leaves behind a temporary safe space to build in, and in a world of LD you're likely to get back more lands than it destroyed. it suffers a little bit of O-Ring syndrome, but a two-card, minimum-7-mana combo to armageddon doesn't seem broken.

nice cards dweeb do they come in GOOD
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
nice cards dweeb do they come in GOOD

that is a very hurtful thing to say and I would appreciate an apology.

Round closed. Fancy stuff later.
it's generally poor form to critique submissions before the round has closed, especially if you're not an active contestant.

Was not my intention.
I was just trying to figure out what that line of rules text accomplished.
Wide-eyed wonder is quite the compliment.
So, how goes the grading of 50 cards???
bump

guys come on don't be a razorborne.

Wait, this is closed?
Nobody told me.
Anyway, I'm out being obnoxiously social for once, so this might have to wait slightly.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Wait, this is closed?
Nobody told me.
Anyway, I'm out being obnoxiously social for once, so this might have to wait slightly.

I won't even be looking at submissions until Sunday.
Apologies for the delay. I probably should have waited to do this round much later. Please be patient. I beg of you!
So, do we need to bait Mown and Kavu into grading this?  What do they like, peanuts?
You Make the Card
Mafia History
I like fewer cards.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

We should award medals.
I've been putting this off because every time I think of grading 50 cards and 10 set ideas I throw up a little in my mouth. I decided to do something easier, with some sort of good/not good system, or only a few comments...

...and started writing stuff about every individual card anyway. Blah! I've got half of you done, I'll get the other half done tomorrow because I have it off.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Sign In to post comments