Thragtusk and Clone / Phantasmal Image and Conjurers Closet

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thinking about this makes my brain hurt

Clone or PI come into play on a Thragtusk you gain the life? Also if it leaves play you get the token i think

If a Conjurer's Closet makes PI target it would be sacrificed (still get token and flicker back in?)

If someone could go over situations with these I would appreciate it

Yes. Clone and Phantasmal Image both gove you the benefit of a creature's enter-the-battlefield and leave-the-battlefield abilities.

A Conjurer's Closet targeting a Phantasmal Image will cause the image to be sacrificed, not exiled. It will therefore not return. 

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Yes, a Clone effect will trigger ETB abilities and LTB abilities of the card they copy.

If Conjurers Closet target a Phantasmal Image, it will be sacrificed before the ability resolves. The ability will be countered and the Image will not be flickered.
Rules Nut Advisor
yes, you do gain life from the Cloned Thragtusk, and you get the token when the clone leaves the battlefield

Conjurer's Closet will kill Phantasmal Image, yes
you get the token from Thragtusk, but it will not return to the battlefield
proud member of the 2011 community team
Clone and Phantasmal Image make copies of the printed version of cards as they enter the battlefield - in time for "when this card enters the battlefield" abilities like Thragtusk to trigger. They also copy the leaves-play ability of that card so it will trigger as expected.

You're also correct that Conjurer's Closet's ability targets (it uses the word "target") hence it would cause Phantasmal Image to be sacrificed. This ability would trigger and go on the stack on top of the flicker ability, so the creature would be sacrificed and then the flicker ability countered for lack of a legal target. You'd get the token, but the creature would already be in the graveyard when the ability tried to temporarily exile it.  
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
also ive had so many know it alls and just want a final answer- i know tokens going to the graveyard dont come back
but if a token was closeted would it come back? something about never losing priority and the game state  not changing so the
token would come back?  
also ive had so many know it alls and just want a final answer- i know tokens going to the graveyard dont come back
but if a token was closeted would it come back? something about never losing priority and the game state  not changing so the
token would come back?  

No. There is a specal rule that says when a token leaves the battlefield, it cannot return for any reason. Then, it will cease to exist in iits new zone as a state-based action.
Rules Nut Advisor
I'll quote the rules for you below that explain why a token that is exiled will never return to the battlefield, straight from the Comprehensive Rules document (www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x...):

704.5d If a token is phased out, or is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist.

Even a spell/ability that exiles it and returns it all at once won't do the trick, because:

110.5g A token that has left the battlefield can’t move to another zone or come back onto the
battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases
to exist the next time state-based actions are checked; see rule 704.

I hope this clears things up! 

token would come back?  

there was a short time when stuff like Momentary Blink could flicker tokens, because SBA causing the tokens to cease to exist were not checked during the resolution of a spell

since then a rule has been added stating that a token that leaves the battlefield can never return under any circumstances
OK- Good to know- I was trying to figure out if Clone or PI would be better in my deck- obviously i think clone would be better
Between the Thragtusk, Blade Splicer, visionary, acidic slimes, restoration angels- it should be fun

or go for Phyrexian Metamorph
costs 1 less than Clone when that is relevant, and can copy the opponent's swords
oh wow- i didnt even think of that- i could copy my own closets too and creatures- thats way better lol
thanks! 
Sign In to post comments