7/18/2012 UR: "Krenko, Mob Boss"

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

What's happened to Feather? Or Boros for that matter? Agh can't wait till Return to Ravnica...or actually Gatecrash...?
Wow, Aurelia's a real hardass apparently.
Taz?  Like the Loony Tunes character?

I enjoyed the story, mostly because I have some hope of learning what all the loose ends are about once RTR comes out.  Thanks.
I sure hope they bring back books for this block. I was a huge fan of the original Ravnica books and they added so much to the game and its theme. I really think if they are returning to Ravnica, they need to support it with quality books like before.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
More gobbos in RtR block?

Squee!
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
"I know Edgar and that wasn't Edgar. It was like something was wearing Edgar. Like a suit. An Edgar suit."

Tantalizing taste there, Jenna; I'm looking forward to learning more.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Oh my God, an intelligent goblin and an acknowledgement of prior book canon?

Loving Uncharted Realms. I just hope that Feather survived; since her "death" was offscreen, I'm guessing she did.
Seeing as dear old Nicol seems to be spreading his talons throughout the planes, is this 'Mr Taz' a cover identity for Tezzeret? A skinsuit would hide his augmentations well, and though there is no overabundunce of artefacts in Ravnica to take advantage of, his experience in dealing with convoluted schemes and shadowy organisations would serve him well here.
It's weird. I haven't even read the Ravnica books but I really wanted Feather to be the new guildboss and this story saddened me All I can say is the new Aurelia card had better be monumentally awesome. Shame I'll have to wait 'til January to find out.
Aww, not the Feather I really liked her. I doubt I'll be siding with Boros in Gatecrash, if their Guildleader is such a hardass. I still hope for Feather card, atleast in the last set. Please Wizards?
Great story, especially since it deals with one of my favorite guilds from the original Ravnica set.  As to if Feather was killed or captured, as an angel I imagine that she created the explosion.  If that was enough to stop the people attacking her or if she was caught afterwards, I don't know.

I hope that this story comes out more in Gatecrash.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
"I know Edgar and that wasn't Edgar. It was like something was wearing Edgar. Like a suit. An Edgar suit."

Aww, someone beat me to it.  Good call there.

And I'm loving this story and I'll agree for a call for books based on this upcoming set ^^

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Great story. Because of the apparent lack of books, I would really love for the lore section to come twice a week.

Jenna, keep focusing your stories on the important characters like this, please dont write another chronomatron Story  
I would really love a well-written novel with Krenko as the protagonist. Showing his rise to power, what long-term goals he might have, and showing off more of his exploits infiltrating guilds and such.
Jenna, keep focusing your stories on the important characters like this, please dont write another chronomatron Story  

Jenna didn't write the Chronomaton story.  Someone filled in for her last week.  And I have no issue with doing stories that aren't always about main characters so long as they are good reads.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Fantastic. This column just gets better and better. I love having a goblin protagonist that's actually intelligent for once, and seeing Feather back is great.

I think what I like best about this story, though, is how little we actually see. It's really a great glimpse into how one of the many, many pawns in the schemes of the Guilds would see events--in fragments that only resolve into a whole image when you piece lots of information together. We have these tantalizing clues but not enough to figure out who exactly is pulling the strings.

It's a perfect way of telling a story for a city as intrigue-heavy as Ravnica.

Well done.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
This is a very cool story, and incredibly appetite-whetting for more on Ravnica. Yay Ravnica!
Wow, Aurelia's a real hardass apparently.

From what I've read in the magic books, most Angels are hardliners.  Feather appears to be an exception.

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't remember the reference until you said this.

Seeing as dear old Nicol seems to be spreading his talons throughout the planes, is this 'Mr Taz' a cover identity for Tezzeret? A skinsuit would hide his augmentations well, and though there is no overabundunce of artefacts in Ravnica to take advantage of, his experience in dealing with convoluted schemes and shadowy organisations would serve him well here.

Oooh, now that's something I didn't think of.  Interesting.  Very, very interesting.  I like it.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I'm assuming that Mr. Taz's real identity is the new Dimir guildmaster, until proven otherwise. Hiring Krenko to do these various jobs seems very much like part of a Dimir agenda, and Mr. Taz's physical description seems pretty close to the guildmaster's art shown at SDCC.
This was an interesting story. I know next to nothing about Ravnica other than what was said at Comic Con and on the website here. Getting some fictional material in has helped flesh it out for me. I admit I'm kind of surprised to see Krenko doing tasks himself. Perhaps this is a younger version of Krenko who isn't quite a Mob Boss yet? I suppose that was kind of implied in the story. Then Krenko became a Mob Boss due to Mr. Taz.

So who is Mr. Taz?

Thank you again for the story. 
Pretty sure there's a rule that says if a character dies off screen, they actually survived. Unless Wizards confirms that she's dead now. Man, I hate how Wizards loves killing off and/or corrupting established characters.

Well, maybe dead angels make ghosts, so now she can go kick butt with Kos in Agyrem, or whever the hell Kos ended up at the end of Dissension.
More please!
Love the stories...I want books!
I hate to be the voice of dissention here, but I found this story dissapointingly dull. I've been fairly satisfied with the new collumn so far, but this just lacked any pizzaz. Krenko caould be an interesting
enough character, and this story may have fit well enough into a longer piece like a book, but by itself it didn't have a lot going for it.

I do agree with the cry for more books though and I think based on what I've seen so far Jenna would do a good job if she were to take that on.
Loved it Jenna, thank you.
Was impressed once again with this article. Looking forward to the next M13 ledgend to be introduced for a story. Feather attaining power and losing it is kinda a downer considering so many people were acually looking forward to seeing her as guildmaster. My geuss though if shes still alive afterwards then it could be her that could be working with gideon possibly to get back into the guild if shes exiled. But thats just nonsense rambling. Still an awsome article either way
Oh, no... Feather, what did you do to turn half the guild on you? A fantastic story, I look forward to Return to Ravnica even more.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
Really loved this story, both as a nicely written stand-alone and a great teaser for RtR.

Really hoping for Feather to come back strong in the block (and on a card???), in exile or no.
Never noticed how embarrassingly crappy Boros Recruit's art is. Bunch of :I looking bastards with no torsos.
I'm assuming that Mr. Taz's real identity is the new Dimir guildmaster, until proven otherwise. Hiring Krenko to do these various jobs seems very much like part of a Dimir agenda, and Mr. Taz's physical description seems pretty close to the guildmaster's art shown at SDCC.

This. Hooded figure, not a necro or any kind of black magic, but instead a ruse enough to fool all but a very cunning Goblin, and even then only giving away enough for said cunning goblin to know what he isn't. Sounds like the work of a master shapeshifter and the leader of the guild of lies to me...

I want to be Cultured.
This was an interesting story. I know next to nothing about Ravnica other than what was said at Comic Con and on the website here. Getting some fictional material in has helped flesh it out for me. I admit I'm kind of surprised to see Krenko doing tasks himself. Perhaps this is a younger version of Krenko who isn't quite a Mob Boss yet? I suppose that was kind of implied in the story. Then Krenko became a Mob Boss due to Mr. Taz.

That's what I was thinking. Krenko mentions his two followers by name, indicating that they're pretty much his go-to guys, so it doesn't seem like he has aquired his vast hordes of lackeys yet... Judging by his doubling goblins ability, that comes later.

The story also doesn't mention the crude iron crown he wears on the card, another hint that this is Krenko before he hit the big leagues.
I feel it is now my duty to write the names of Krenko's two lackeys on some goblin tokens if not creating some custom ones instead!!

A great read and I am too looking forward to more!! 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
More stories like this please! crazed hermits are only so cool. Its very fun to see characters who interact with a setting and change it, rather than some guy on the fringe.

Also, for those complaining about feather, this probably happened several years ago. considering that in the core set krenko is a big shot and that here he obviously is more like a car-jacker working for the mafia, somewhat like gta.
A mob boss, paying another to steal for him, a shady type, hiding in the shadows, possibly deceptive even with his very identity, rat like by his verry admission. Who now, and somewhat wreclessly, had an Angels feather. This can't be good.

He can now gain a life every time any white creature is summoned anywhere.
Did not like the story at all, because the central idea of the plot - the Feather`s "escape" could hardly be believed in. It seems weird that anyone could so simply enter the prison cell of Feather. It seems dull. Where are the guards? How did they surprisingly appear when Krenko called for them? It took them something like a second (Feather did not regain conciousness), how did they allow Krenko to come in?
Also I have to mention, that even in real humans skin is not attached to the skeleton.
Other stories, Innistrad ones for example were far more interesting.