Avacyn EDH

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wanted to make an EDH deck with an Indestructible sub-theme, and Avacyn was the perfect general. Included some mana ramp in the form of various mana rocks and doublers, as well as some deck thinning and artifact-based card draw. Then filled the rest of the deck out with some staples from the staple list.

Let me know if there is something that has a strictly better replacement, or if you have any add/remove suggestions.

The Deck

1 x Avacyn, Angel of Hope

7 x CREATURES
1 x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 x Artisan of Kozilek
1 x Aven Mindcensor
1 x Blazing Archon
1 x Darksteel Colossus
1 x Eight-and-a-half-Tails
1 x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 x Grand Abolisher
1 x Hero of Bladehold
1 x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 x Leonin Shikari
1 x Magus of the Disk
1 x Myojin of Cleansing Fire
1 x Pilgrim's Eye
1 x Platinum Angel
1 x Puresteel Paladin
1 x Reya Dawnbringer
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Stonehewer Giant
1 x Student of Warfare
1 x Sun Titan
1 x Transcendent Master
1 x True Believer
1 x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 x Weathered Wayfarer
1 x Wurmcoil Engine

3 x ARTIFACTS
1 x Akroma's Memorial
1 x Basilisk Collar
1 x Caged Sun
1 x Coalition Relic
1 x Coldsteel Heart
1 x Crucible of Worlds
1 x Darksteel Ingot
1 x Darksteel Pendant
1 x Doubling Cube
1 x Druidic Satchel
1 x Expedition Map
1 x Extraplanar Lens
1 x Gauntlet of Power
1 x Gilded Lotus
1 x Helm of Kaldra
1 x Illuminated Folio
1 x Infiltration Lens
1 x Journeyer's Kite
1 x Manalith
1 x Mind's Eye
1 x Mycosynth Lattice
1 x Myr Matrix
1 x Nevinyrral's Disk
1 x Paradise Plume
1 x Shield of Kaldra
1 x Skullclamp
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Spectral Searchlight
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Sword of Kaldra
1 x Thunder Totem
1 x Tower of Fortunes

7 x OTHER STUFF
1 x Concerted Effort
1 x Flickerform
1 x Luminarch Ascension
1 x Marshal's Anthem
1 x Martyr's Bond
1 x Nevermore
1 x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

3 x LANDS
1 x Dark Depths
1 x Darksteel Citadel
1 x Dust Bowl
1 x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Flagstones of Trokair
1 x Mistveil Plains
1 x Scrying Sheets
1 x Temple of the False God
1 x Terramorphic Expanse
1 x Vesuva
2 x Snow-Covered Plains

EDIT: Updated list
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
It's a little thing, but I'd replace the two Myr with Pilgrim's Eye and Solemn Simulacrum. That way if your creature dies you don't lose your ramp as well. Plus if they get recurred with Reya or Sun Titan, you get their benefit twice.

Unless you are planning on using their abilities on an opponent's creature(s) Aegis Angel and Deathless Angel seem like wasted space for the sake of fitting the theme. Once you can cast them, it's only two more mana to get Avacyn out and make them redundant on your own creatures.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Yeah it seems silly to me to play indestructible permanents in a deck whose general makes everything indestructible. You're just reducing the value you get from playing your general.

I think a better game plan is to play big board wipes, like [C]akroma's vengeance[/c] and such. Ramp up to avacyn, then knock everyone else back to square one while your indestructible board is intact.
If you have the Forge, why not run Mycosynth Lattice so that your entire board is indestructible? Also, if you don't mind being "that" guy, how about Armageddon once it resolves, if Avacyn is out, you basically just win.

3DH4LIF3

I've updated the list, taking into account some of the points and suggestions. Mainly, I agreed that having Avacyn made having indestrucible permanents redundant. I added some mass destruction, and also added an equipment-themed package. Flickerform is to prevent Avacyn from getting exiled, even though I could cast her again. If she gets exiled enough times, her cost would start to get exorbitant, plus it doesn't hurt to giver her some extra protection.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Sign In to post comments