How would I get a old party reinterested?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's how the story goes:
My DnD group and I had our first gaming session since a long time about a month ago. It was fun indeed and the others seemed to enjoy it.  After the game we promised to each other that we would play again. Unfortunetly, when I recently asked them if they wanted to play, two players didn't seem to be interested but semi-agreed... I'm scared that they are all not interested.

NOTE: We still make references\jokes about our characters of that ONE game of DnD we had a month ago. Also, My group is made up of close friends.

I'm a beginner DM and I was wondering how I would get my old group reinterested for another game.
Identical situation to what I had.

Set a date 3-4 weeks from now (I say this because if your friends work part time, then this is an acceptable amount of prior warning to book the specific evening off) and drag everyone into it. Put the effort in to go around houses and make character, discuss ideas, slowly inject the idea/story/concepts through them over the period so that come a week before the planned date - everyone is buzzing to go =).

All of the effort to get it under way will be rubbed off from your enthusiasm.

Don't let the plan go on for more than 3-4 weeks, as that's when folk will start to be be disinterested.

Hopefully I've been of some help. Best of luck! 
Still a bit stumped by all this "spoiler" lark? [spoil er] Message [/spoi ler] Just without the spaces!
Enthusiasm helps, but really whatever you do - be direct. They might have enjoyed the first session well enough yet don't have an interest in another game. They might not have enjoyed it and were just being polite. These are your friends, as you say, so ask them directly for their honest interest. The worst thing for a gaming group are disinterested players filling the seats and if everyone's honest with each other, that'll never happen. Figure out who's in and who's out and if you want to make it a regular thing, fill in any perceived gaps with new players.

For my part, I will generally put out an elevator pitch or pithy opening scene description to people I know who game and see who bites. Here's an example I used recently and the table's already full.

Normally, one can smell a bullywug pirate ship long before it appears on the horizon.

You stand at the pinnacle of the Temple of Bazim-Gorag, an ancient ziggurat at the highest point of Anura Island, higher even than the canopy of the treacherous jungle that covers all. From here, you can see the flaming wreckage of your ship in the bay, the overlarge bullywug galleon, The Crapaud, sitting low in the water nearby, its cannons still smoking. Crossing the stretch of sea between the ship and the shore are three long skiffs being swiftly rowed by a motley crew of juju zombies, led no doubt by the notorious Captain Burrp and accompanied by his elite frogmen.

The entrance to the ziggurat’s interior is a gaping stone maw lined with sharp obsidian teeth. There is naught but darkness down Bazim-Gorag’s gullet – darkness and the Great Treasure said to rest in the belly of the temple.

What do you do?

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Enthusiasm helps, but really whatever you do - be direct. They might have enjoyed the first session well enough yet don't have an interest in another game. They might not have enjoyed it and were just being polite. These are your friends, as you say, so ask them directly for their honest interest. The worst thing for a gaming group are disinterested players filling the seats and if everyone's honest with each other, that'll never happen. Figure out who's in and who's out and if you want to make it a regular thing, fill in any perceived gaps with new players.

For my part, I will generally put out an elevator pitch or pithy opening scene description to people I know who game and see who bites. Here's an example I used recently and the table's already full.

Normally, one can smell a bullywug pirate ship long before it appears on the horizon.

You stand at the pinnacle of the Temple of Bazim-Gorag, an ancient ziggurat at the highest point of Anura Island, higher even than the canopy of the treacherous jungle that covers all. From here, you can see the flaming wreckage of your ship in the bay, the overlarge bullywug galleon, The Crapaud, sitting low in the water nearby, its cannons still smoking. Crossing the stretch of sea between the ship and the shore are three long skiffs being swiftly rowed by a motley crew of juju zombies, led no doubt by the notorious Captain Burrp and accompanied by his elite frogmen.

The entrance to the ziggurat’s interior is a gaping stone maw lined with sharp obsidian teeth. There is naught but darkness down Bazim-Gorag’s gullet – darkness and the Great Treasure said to rest in the belly of the temple.

What do you do?

Thank you both for the awesome advice . I will certainly try out all suggestions.

The last game was actually not dm'ed by me. Throughout my small history of DnD gaming, my group has always been switching between DMs so we could all get the player experience.

One of the players, who agreed to play, witnessed and helped me create a small part of my story and a small part in my dungeon. He told me that the story was interesting, but I shall most definitely ask him for the truth and be direct like iserith said.

"Normally, one can smell a bullywug pirate ship long before it appears on the horizon.
What do you do?"

Well done isereth, well done indeed! 
Well done isereth, well done indeed! 

Thanks! It should be a fun one-shot.

It was also inspired by the players themselves - they asked for "something nautical-themed." I wrote the above as a brainfart to get their buy-in. Then everyone jumped on it. I have four players lined up to play and four others who are hoping the first four players are struck by lightning so they can get in.

Lesson learned: Use what your players give you and they'll always be enthusiastic to play.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith