Core Variant

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30
Genasi, Barbarian|Swordmage, Sword of Assault, Radiant One
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Hybrid Talent: Barbarian Armored Agility
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Quickened Spellcasting: Greenflame Blade
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 26, Wis 15, Cha 10.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 48 Fort: 48 Reflex: 45 Will: 43
HP: 215 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 53

TRAINED SKILLS
History +30, Athletics +29, Endurance +24, Arcana +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +19, Insight +19, Intimidate +17, Nature +21, Perception +19, Religion +25, Stealth +17, Streetwise +17, Thievery +17

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 4: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Silvery Glow
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Shocking Flame
Level 12: Lasting Frost
Level 14: Avenger MC
Level 16: Aegis Accuracy (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 18: Reserve Maneuver
Level 20: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 22)
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 22: Epic Will
Level 24: Epic Resurgence
Level 26: Superior Will
Level 28: Primal Resurgence
Level 30: Rapid Aegis Reaction

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Hybrid at-will 1: Howling Strike
Reserve Maneuver: Dual Lightning Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Lightning Clash
Hybrid daily 1: Burning Blade
Hybrid utility 2: Savage Growl
Hybrid encounter 3: Thundering Howl
Hybrid daily 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Hybrid utility 6: Armathor's Step
Hybrid encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Hybrid daily 9: Rage of the Death Spirit
Hybrid utility 10: Surge of Fury
Hybrid encounter 13: Storm of Blades (replaces Curtain of Steel)
Hybrid daily 15: Rubicant's Assault (replaces Rage of the Crimson Hurricane)
Hybrid utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Hybrid encounter 17: Seed of Fire (replaces Thundering Howl)
Hybrid daily 19: Rock Tree Rage (replaces Rubicant's Assault)
Hybrid utility 22: Giant's Might
Hybrid encounter 23: Lightning Bolt Charge (replaces Lightning Clash)
Hybrid daily 25: Quicksilver Blade (replaces Rage of the Death Spirit)
Hybrid encounter 27: Hurricane of Blades (replaces Stone-Splitting Roar)
Hybrid daily 29: Astral Thunder Blade (replaces Quicksilver Blade)

ITEMS
Boots of the Mighty Charge (heroic tier), Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1, Ioun's Revelation (level 13), Voidhide of Dark Deeds +6, Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Cloak of Translocation +6, Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Firewind Blade Fullblade +6, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Symbol of Victory +2, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Corellon's Boon, Frost Whetstones
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Artificer Variant, or, MOAR TRIPLE ATTACKZ PLZ.

Genasi Barbarian|Swordmage/Artificer/Sword of Assault/Radiant One

Artificer Variant

level 30
Genasi, Barbarian|Swordmage, Sword of Assault, Radiant One
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +19, Insight +19, Intimidate +17, Nature +21, Perception +19, Religion +25, Stealth +17, Streetwise +17, Thievery +17

FEATS
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Student of Artifice
Level 16: Aegis Accuracy (retrained to Novice Power at Level 21)

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 23: Lightning Bolt Charge (retrained to Prismatic Strike at Novice Power) (replaces Lightning Clash)

ITEMS
Boots of the Mighty Charge (heroic tier), Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1, Ioun's Revelation (level 13), Voidhide of Dark Deeds +6, Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Cloak of Translocation +6, Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Firewind Blade Fullblade +6, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Symbol of Victory +2, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Corellon's Boon, Frost Whetstones, Ring of Free Time

Morninglord Variant, or, No One Else Played an Invoker for You

Genasi Barbarian|Swordmage/Avenger/Morningord/Radiant One

Morninglord Variant

level 30
Genasi, Barbarian|Swordmage, Morninglord, Radiant One
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS
Level 6: Avenger MC
Level 14: Improved Defenses
Level 16: Aegis Accuracy (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 23: Lightning Bolt Charge (replaces Lightning Clash)

ITEMS
Boots of the Mighty Charge (heroic tier), Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1, Ioun's Revelation (level 13), Voidhide of Dark Deeds +6, Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Cloak of Translocation +6, Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Firewind Blade Fullblade +6, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Symbol of Victory +2, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Corellon's Boon, Frost Whetstones

Note, this is a work in progress, the original build, which is Barb|SM/Avenger/Sword of Assault/Radiant One, will be thrown up soon.

Acknowledgements
RuinsFate-
For a HUGE help with this build, including the PP and overall design, and dealing with me creating it. Also, the picture ;)

10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

FAQ:

1. What would you suggest for theme?

Elemental Initiate, Sohei, Werewolf, and Ironwrought are all solid picks (will delve more into here later)

2. Isn't this an Epic Centric Build?

Yes, I will post a Paragon version soon with a couple notable changes (grabbing a Melegaunt's Darkblade, for example)

10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
reserve 3 (Because I have enough time for this? I WILL get to the Warlord guide, i promise

Done! 
I'm assuming Barbarian Agility on Hybrid Talent, since you've got a Fullblade?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Of course, Hide+3, +3 to reflex is an amazingly good feat.
I'm afraid you missed the obvious "Conan the Librarian" gag. ;)
For the uninitiated.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I know the point was to MC Artificer and get Prismatic Strike for another triple hitter, but was that worth missing out on MC Paladin/Morninglord? With a Firewind Blade and Radiant One, that's basically +20 extra damage per hit.
I play with a Morninglord. Morninglord will be included under build options when I get the chance.
I'd be disinclined to train out of Curtain of Steel until 17 as something will obey your mark.

Lightning Soul is another option for a damage-increase feat once you have Shocking Flame if anyone feels feat-starved and intem dependent with the Frost path. .
I have the IR from Elemental Intiate for that.
Perhaps, but prior to Borrowed Confidence, I'd much rather go Ironwrought. That double-roll and extra +1 to hit for your novas is going to mean a lot for Thundering Howl + Storm of Blades, particularly because Thundering Howl is one roll for 2 damage lines.

Edit:
And actually, if you take the most conservative interpretation on your E11 Spell Strike you could just reserve manuver that away for Curtain of Steel at the earliest opportunity. I'd go so far as to even skip Wintertouched to nab Reserve Manuver at level 13.
This build is meant for 16, and note that I have it built at 30. Its a completely different beast at different levels.
I'm just piecing together how this works, is my understanding right here?

You're adding Frost damage with your whetstone, Fire keyword from individual powers, Lightning damage with Oncoming Storm. When you use a Fire power you trigger your Firewind Blade for extra damage to one target.

I guess you'd have to clarify with your DM whether each of the bonus damage options you have (Firewind Blade daily, whetstone, Oncoming Storm, Silvery Glow, Promise of Storm, Savage Growl) stack onto the automatic splash damage from Greenflame Blade (no roll) or Thundering Howl/Stone-Splitting Roar (1d6 damage, which might or might not be a damage roll) or your ki focus (no weapon keyword). I'm sure you have answers for these, but not every DM would know them immediately.

You get to use Greenflame Blade when you use your aegis (from your PP), when you AP to charge (from PP), as a minor 1/day (from PP) , as a minor 1/day (Quickened Spellcasting), as a minor 1/day (Rain of Hammers Ki Focus).

Looks like you'll be using a lot of minor actions, between whetstones, Aegis, and all the bonus attacks I just listed. Would you have room for a Ring of Free Time? Or are you avoiding rares?

Overall, I like it, it's not often you see an optimised area-effect damage dealer, especially not a weapon-based one! And having the flexibility for massive single-target multi-attacks as well is great.

Note that the IR from Elemental Initiate is only triggered on a miss, where Curtain of Steel is triggered on hit or miss.
Thundering Howl absolutely is a damage roll, and anyone who debates it is an idiot. And yes, a Ring of Free Time is core on all Strikers, including this one. As for Curtain of Steel, the thing is that it's massively overrated. It's good, but you can replicate it with items, while you absolutely cannot do the same in reliable fashion with multiattacks.

PS: Also, this character is entirely weapon based. Let nothing fool you about it being a Swordmage, all the good attack powers are Weapon ones.

PPS: Speaking of which Zel, no Seed of Fire at Level 17? I personally like that better than Stone-Splitting Roar - generates more damage, see, plus more attack rolls, which can be used to trigger stuff (like a Symbol of Victory).
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I'm just piecing together how this works, is my understanding right here?

You're adding Frost damage with your whetstone, Fire keyword from individual powers, Lightning damage with Oncoming Storm. When you use a Fire power you trigger your Firewind Blade for extra damage to one target. 

I guess you'd have to clarify with your DM whether each of the bonus damage options you have (Firewind Blade daily, whetstone, Oncoming Storm, Silvery Glow, Promise of Storm, Savage Growl) stack onto the automatic splash damage from Greenflame Blade (no roll) or Thundering Howl/Stone-Splitting Roar (1d6 damage, which might or might not be a damage roll) or your ki focus (no weapon keyword). I'm sure you have answers for these, but not every DM would know them immediately.

You get to use Greenflame Blade when you use your aegis (from your PP), when you AP to charge (from PP), as a minor 1/day (from PP) , as a minor 1/day (Quickened Spellcasting), as a minor 1/day (Rain of Hammers Ki Focus).

He's getting frost via whetstone and fire via shocking flame. Radiant One then adds another instance of +Int Radiant/fire on both the initial hit and the extra damage instance provided by Firewind Blade, AND it also works with the splash damage done by Greenflame Blade.

He gets Greenflame Blade as a minor twice/enc due to Quickened Spellcasting as well as his PP's 16F, it triggers on his aegis punishment, as well as some daily activations via stance, ki focus, etc. His AP feature actually lets him charge using any encounter power, so its going to be Storm/Hurricane/Prismatic Strike. With a triple attack, each 'hit' triggers a separate Firewind Blade proc which triggers Radiant One's ridiculously worded damage feature, so with with a triple-hitter like Storm of Blades, Radiant One's damage triggers a total of 6x.

Make no mistake, this guy is a monstrous nova-striker build. The AoE damage and defender aspects are merely icing on the cake.

Thundering Howl should be indisputably a power with 2 separate damage rolls, btw. An interesting effect of the AP features is that as early as level 11, you can charge with Thundering Howl, for a double tap...that also lets you apply all of charge-kit damage bonuses in a blast 3.

PPS: Speaking of which Zel, no Seed of Fire at Level 17? I personally like that better than Stone-Splitting Roar - generates more damage, see, plus more attack rolls, which can be used to trigger stuff (like a Symbol of Victory).

The extra attack roll may be a drawback in this case because it is predicated on the first attack happening, making it less likely to occur than the single-roll SSR. Having it be a barbarian attack also counts for something since you generate an extra MBA when you crit with a barb power.

And again, Curtain of Steel may be overrated, but it's just an easy Reserve Manuver away.
Thinking about this, Greenflame blade or Booming Blade?

And Seed of Fire is a good call, I'll swap that in.

Edit: Don't I have a Ring of Free time? And yes, this build is horribly minor starved. 
Thinking about this, Greenflame blade or Booming Blade?

If you can get some forced movement on Booming Blade, each Aegis mark triggers basically a double-tap for damage.

Come to think of it, doesn't that make Assault Swordmages actually reasonably good?
The problem is the target has to start its next turn adjacent to you, and move away during that turn. So you need forced movement during ITS turn.
Ah, I missed the part where it has to start next to you, nevermind.
I know I'm gonna get crushed for this question, but could I get an explanation on how Thundering Howl/Stone-splitting Roar add your static mods again to the d6 rolls thus making them double taps?
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
I know I'm gonna get crushed for this question, but could I get an explanation on how Thundering Howl/Stone-splitting Roar add your static mods again to the d6 rolls thus making them double taps?

The power gives you an attack that is one hit.  It also has an effect with the same power that deals 1d6 damage.  Note it does not say extra damage and that since it is part of the same power it is considered to use things like the weapon keyword and the like.  Since it is an effect it may not get mods dependant on hitting but most everything else is fair game.  The effect is a second damage roll and thus damage instance.
So the d6 rolls work along the lines of say, Rain of Steel, where you get the W + non-ability mods (feat and item bonuses and the like)? Wouldn't Rending Strike work on this same principal since the power is worded in the same manner? The only difference is with Rending Strike the extra damage has a trigger, it doesn't just happen.
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
edit: nvm
So the d6 rolls work along the lines of say, Rain of Steel, where you get the W + non-ability mods (feat and item bonuses and the like)? Wouldn't Rending Strike work on this same principal since the power is worded in the same manner? The only difference is with Rending Strike the extra damage has a trigger, it doesn't just happen.

No, Thundering Howl DEFINATELY gets mods, Rending Strike probably doesn't, as Rending Strike's extra 1d6 is attached to someone elses damage roll.
This is one of my favorite builds ever posted on CharOp. I love the flavor of it, and how well you've pulled off an odd combo (I've never seen a barb|swordmage before)
Sssh, it'll go to his head.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Nope, it's terrible,

And the picture sucks.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
This is one of my favorite builds ever posted on CharOp. I love the flavor of it, and how well you've pulled off an odd combo (I've never seen a barb|swordmage before)

Thank you sir I shall have a couple updates (including a level 16 version) coming shortly.

This is a neat Barb|swordmage courtesy of GelatinousOctahedron.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Back to your regularlly scheduled programming.
His isn't a striker, I don't exactly know what it is, but it lacks focus. Mine doesn't.
Anyway to fit in WLR and WLMR along with Mark of Storms?  That would satisfy Booming Blade.  You hit the target, target hits you, procs WLR so you do x damage to him, but it also triggers WLMR so you get to attack him with Booming Blade.  You slide him away from you, triggers the second half of booming blade, and if you had rushing cleats, you slide him right back next to you.

Z = you
X = target

Z X                                 X hits Z, triggers WLR + WLMR
Z => X                           Z hits X with Booming Blade, triggers Mark of Storm+Rushing Cleats, slides X one square triggering Booming Blade
Z <= X  Z X                    Z slides X back next to him

Booming Blade states that the target only needs to move away from you, it does not state that the target has to stay away from you.  By sliding the target back, you keep the target next to you and make it harder to run off.
I never include Dragonmarks in my builds simply because in 95% of the games I've played in (thats not a lie, its around 1/20), they haven't been allowed. But yeah, it does open up Booming Blade abuse.
can we hope for a level by level breakdown???
Meh, maybe when I have some time? (lol time) If you're looking for details on things, i can help you out, but if you just follow the powers and feats I've taken at each level you should be ok.
Meh, maybe when I have some time? (lol time) If you're looking for details on things, i can help you out, but if you just follow the powers and feats I've taken at each level you should be ok.

i plan to start with a 6th level character. do i have to wait till epic to see the most of this build? is it playable at heroic?
Of course its playable at heroic. Its a Barbarian who loses a feat, get a double tap at level 1, a decent level 1 daily, and the ability to have IR MBAs.
Of course its playable at heroic. Its a Barbarian who loses a feat, get a double tap at level 1, a decent level 1 daily, and the ability to have IR MBAs.

can you suggest equipment for heroic level? i have to spend 1000 gold. i know its a small sum but i have to buy starting equipment.

also which variant do you suggest for maximum DPR?

You probably mean you get an item level 7 or lower, an item level 6 or lower, and an item level 5 or lower PLUS 1000 gp ?

You already posted elsewhere you plan to start with a level 6 character. If you take the build zelink posted up to level 6, get the generic level 6 magic weapon of choice, the level 6 generic magic armor of choice, and a level 5 neck item you should have a decent start. Perhaps dump some of that gold into bracers of might striking for those IR MBAs.
You probably mean you get an item level 7 or lower, an item level 6 or lower, and an item level 5 or lower PLUS 1000 gp ?

You already posted elsewhere you plan to start with a level 6 character. If you take the build zelink posted up to level 6, get the generic level 6 magic weapon of choice, the level 6 generic magic armor of choice, and a level 5 neck item you should have a decent start. Perhaps dump some of that gold into bracers of might striking for those IR MBAs.

unfortunately i have to spend 1000 gp to buy starting equipment. i wont have anything free at start. i hope 1000 gp to be enough for these things.

Yeah, 1000 gold leaves you just a tad hosed. It wont be anywhere near enough. I guess a +1 Lightning Weapon...
Sign In to post comments