My reason for leaving D&Di

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been teetering on the edge of dropping my subscription since they moved the Character Builder to the online version.  The only thing that kept me on was the tiniest thought that WotC might pull some fast one and declare that you had to have a D&Di account to continue using the offline character builder as well, which I do still use even if it isn't as up-to-date as the online version.  When they announced the Virtual Table (finally!) I was ecstatic and decided to continue paying for D&Di to have access to it.  It's been a painful beta test, mainly because I don't think WotC was putting the man-power into maintaining it.  It continued to have bugs which never seemed to get fixed.

Now that they have announced that they are no longer going to be supporting it, I have canceled my D&Di subscribtion.  I tried to do so through the store, but it said that I couldn't cancel the auto-renew (which I think is a bug which they've had for almost two years now.)  Thankfully, I use Paypal to pay and I am able to just turn off my authorization for them to draw funds through my PayPal account.  I am sending a request to Customer Service to have the auto-renew turned off, since I have a feeling they will start "debitting" it and trying to say I owe them for the month coming since I had it set for auto-renew.

I will still be playing D&D, though.  And I hope to continue enjoying the Virtual Table once GTO is able to get it moved to their service.  I hope WotC realizes what a mistake they are making in getting rid of the Virtual Table.  It won't be too long before they turn off the character builder as well, I'm sure.
I'm still paying because I like the CB and MB. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

I must agree.  I find it very disheartening that they are just dropping VT.  They really fumbled the ball on this one, and should any other competitors take it up, wotc gonna be kicking themselves.

The CB and MB are good, and if they are wise, they should offer it with a printed, one time use code in the core books of Next/5e.  I wish their encounter builder worked better.. a bit clunky.  Jeez, guys (wotc), spend a dime and get a coder who know what they are doing, and you would be loved beyond reason!  

Now... here's the clincher.  If they drop VT, and keep the rest, what they gonna charge for it?

Is DDi still going to exist, or is that whole idea gone with VT?

Time will always tell, albeit slowly here in D&D-land, and I certainly hope they re-consider a charge at all, and tag it on as a bonus to core book purchases.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

The BEST gaming mats ever: www.zuzzy.com http://www.amazon.com/Stormwalkers-ebook/dp/B004ULVL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318513150&sr=8-1
I must agree.  I find it very disheartening that they are just dropping VT.  They really fumbled the ball on this one, and should any other competitors take it up, wotc gonna be kicking themselves.

The CB and MB are good, and if they are wise, they should offer it with a printed, one time use code in the core books of Next/5e.  I wish their encounter builder worked better.. a bit clunky.  Jeez, guys (wotc), spend a dime and get a coder who know what they are doing, and you would be loved beyond reason!  

Now... here's the clincher.  If they drop VT, and keep the rest, what they gonna charge for it?

Is DDi still going to exist, or is that whole idea gone with VT?

Time will always tell, albeit slowly here in D&D-land, and I certainly hope they re-consider a charge at all, and tag it on as a bonus to core book purchases.

I suspect that they will charge what they are currently. The VTT was in beta, so they didn't change the price.