7/17/2012 RC: "The Glub Club"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This may not strictly be the 100% correct thread to mention this, but doesn't the statement about

"Everybody has spells you can counter and life totals you can pick away at; you don't have to run any narrow answers."

imply that aggro-control decks need to be watched by development just as much as permission-based or other pure control decks?

It's just that, y'know, everyone else has to get by running narrow answers. Or at least should, because that promotes strategy and deck design, and we aspire to solid and elegant game design at Wizards of the Coast. Right?
I'm guessing the deadline for deck submissions needs to be changed.  Can't imagine them being due the day before the article is posted.
So, as a new player, if I want to play an aggressively paced creature deck I should run Blue right? /sarcasm
I want to be Cultured.
y u no remand
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm guessing the deadline for deck submissions needs to be changed.  Can't imagine them being due the day before the article is posted.

I've mentioned this to Trick and it's getting fixed. Thanks for pointing it out!
I really want to see that Faith's Reward deck in action. It looks completely crazy, and I can't decide which side of the "just crazy enough to work" line it falls on.

EDIT: I now see there are two. The first one looks more crazy but I'll take either.

I wanted to comment on the exclusion of Mutavault from the main Merfolk deck.  I don't think this omission was a mistake.

Mutavault is nice in most creature decks because it lets you turn your land into a creature that can attack, effectively trading 2 mana a turn for another small body (the mana to activate it and the vault itself).  With so many double blue mana costs, I don't think a land that only produces colorless fits into the deck very well, especially once you start adding an extra color splash.  A hand with one Island and one Mutavault is unkeepable under most circumstances, and having only 18 blue sources makes it hard to get a decent hand.  

Enacting the "Vault beats" also eats into your mana, which you wanted to leave open for disruption.  Most aggressive decks don't have that problem because they have no real spells to play on their opponent's turns, but to take the control role requires mana be left up.  Mutavault is good, but I don't think it plays nice with aggro-control.

Yeah, my thoughts were similar to Dragon_Bloodthirsty's. I could see 1 or maybe 2 Mutavault, but I think 4 of in a deck with 12 2-drops costing {U}{U} is a mistake.

I wanted to comment on the exclusion of Mutavault from the main Merfolk deck.  I don't think this omission was a mistake.

Mutavault is nice in most creature decks because it lets you turn your land into a creature that can attack, effectively trading 2 mana a turn for another small body (the mana to activate it and the vault itself).  With so many double blue mana costs, I don't think a land that only produces colorless fits into the deck very well, especially once you start adding an extra color splash.  A hand with one Island and one Mutavault is unkeepable under most circumstances, and having only 18 blue sources makes it hard to get a decent hand.  

Enacting the "Vault beats" also eats into your mana, which you wanted to leave open for disruption.  Most aggressive decks don't have that problem because they have no real spells to play on their opponent's turns, but to take the control role requires mana be left up.  Mutavault is good, but I don't think it plays nice with aggro-control.

i think the reasoning goes that aether vial will help in those situaations.

but why does wotc keep pushing merfolk? push something else, for crying out loud. we don't need a second copy of lord of atlantis.
Sign In to post comments