PEACH: Runepriest/Warden Hybrid

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I've been offered the option of redesigning my PC by my DM. This is basically because I absolutely hate being dazed/stunned/etc. He threw out the possibility of hybridizing my Runepriest with Warden (we're running in a homebrew world focused on primal, so it makes sense thematically) in order to get Font of Life. I realize that this creates some feat problems, though since I'll be entering at level 9, it's not as bad as it would have been earlier.

Our party is leader heavy currently (Bard, Warlord, and my Runepriest) also running a wind/lightning elementalist, a rogue, and a fighter. My PC tends to stand and bang next to the fighter, which may cause problems with our marks overlapping each other. I'm not compeltely sold on this, and I'll likely stick with my "normal" runepriest, but I thought I'd get CharOp's feedback.

I'm interested in 1) having font of life. 2) dealing damage 3) being able to take damage. I also like the combo of marking with the wrathful hammer feature, because it's going to get me using the +4 damage bonus even more often. I'm curious if there are any other cool power combos and synergy I'm missing out on here or places where I need to adjust my stats.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hybrid, level 9
Dwarf, Runepriest/Warden
Hybrid Talent Option: Font of Life
Runic Artistry Option: Wrathful Hammer
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 19, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 15, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 23 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 18
HP: 81 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +15, Heal +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +4, Athletics +9, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +6, History +4, Insight +6, Intimidate +3, Nature +4, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Streetwise +3, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Runepriest Feature: Rune of Mending
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Runepriest Attack 1: Word of Diminishment
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Runepriest Attack 1: Flames of Purity
Runepriest Attack 1: Rune of the Undeniable Dawn
Runepriest Utility 2: Shield of Sacrifice
Warden Attack 3: Thundering Strike
Warden Attack 5: Boiling Cloud
Warden Utility 6: Bear's Endurance
Runepriest Attack 7: Word of Befuddlement
Warden Attack 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)

ITEMS
Learning Mordenkrad +1 x1
Reflexive Scale Armor +1 x1
====== End ======

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hybrid, level 9
Dwarf, Runepriest/Warden
Hybrid Talent Option: Font of Life
Runic Artistry Option: Wrathful Hammer
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 19, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 15, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 23 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 18
HP: 81 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +15, Heal +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +4, Athletics +9, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +6, History +4, Insight +6, Intimidate +3, Nature +4, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Streetwise +3, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Runepriest Feature: Rune of Mending
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Runepriest Attack 1: Word of Diminishment
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Runepriest Attack 1: Flames of Purity
Runepriest Attack 1: Rune of the Undeniable Dawn
Runepriest Utility 2: Shield of Sacrifice
Warden Attack 3: Thundering Strike
Warden Attack 5: Boiling Cloud
Warden Utility 6: Bear's Endurance
Runepriest Attack 7: Word of Befuddlement
Warden Attack 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)

ITEMS
Learning Mordenkrad +1 x1
Reflexive Scale Armor +1 x1
====== End ======

I would suggest going serene.
Going Str/Wis will allow you to get superior will in addition to font of life, and boosts your Will defense (which often is the stun defense), and saves you your armor feat.

So something like...

16+2 Str, 12+2 Con, 16 Wis.

1: Dwarven Weapon Training
2: Hybrid Talent (Font of Life)
3: Superior Will
4: Resilent Focus
6: Expertise
8: Improved Defenses

Sure you loose the bonus damage, but your quite tough instead.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I would suggest going serene.
Going Str/Wis will allow you to get superior will in addition to font of life, and boosts your Will defense (which often is the stun defense), and saves you your armor feat.

So something like...

16+2 Str, 12+2 Con, 16 Wis.

1: Dwarven Weapon Training
2: Hybrid Talent (Font of Life)
3: Superior Will
4: Resilent Focus
6: Expertise
8: Improved Defenses

Sure you loose the bonus damage, but your quite tough instead.

Okay. Thanks. I'll have to run it by the DM, as the current build is Wrathful. 
Okay. Thanks. I'll have to run it by the DM, as the current build is Wrathful. 

The problem with hybrid wardens... as you noticed, is that they need to spend extra feats on AC.  Serene fixes that.

If he want's you to stay wrathful, ask for a homebrew feat that let's you keep your runepriest armor.  1 feat (in addition to the font of life feat) would be fair. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Bludgeon Expertise over straight Hammer Expertise, since it has the extra forced movement and the scaling math fix.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Bludgeon Expertise over straight Hammer Expertise, since it has the extra forced movement and the scaling math fix.

Doh! Thanks.

I'm going to second mellored's suggestion that you try to go Serene. I've built a few Wrathfuls with my eye on Hammer of Vengeance, but they are kind of a trap. They have to take damage to get their striker on, but the easiest way to damage them is to target Will ... which often means a daze or stun rider that closes your striker window.

Here's one of my favorite builds. Defenses are just OK, but hey, the first 18 points of damage taken each round are just for sh*ts and grins!

Revenants Can Go Jump in a Lake

Longtooth Shifter Runepriest|Warden/Fighter/Son of Mercy

Level 12

Str 21, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 9, Wis 21, Cha 11

Athletics+18apr, Endurance+14apr, Insight+16, Perception+16

+3 power to Athletics and Endurance after second wind TEONT

Elemental Origin

Ironwrought Theme

Born Under a Bad Sign

+21 vs AC. (+6lvl+5Str+3prof+3enh+2feat+2CA)

+1 on charge 

+1 power on Inevitable Strike TEONT

-2 sans CA

1d8+32 cold, slow. (+5Str+3enh+2CA+3ft+2itm+2LS+5PP+1shrd+2FW+2GoI+5LF)

-2 sans CA

-5 sans Lasting Frost

-5 and slowed sans Doom

On AP attack, hit target immobilized TSONT

AC 29. (16+3armr+5Wis+3enh+1shld+1item)

Fortitude 28. (21+5Str+1cls+1armr)

Reflex 23. (21+1Dex+1shld)

Will 27. (21+5Wis+1cls)

---

101 HPs and 9 26i-pt Surges

Resist 4 all when bloodied

Regenerate 4 when shifting and bloodied

+10 tHPs after first damage each round

All enemies within 2 slowed when takes cold damage

+2 feat to saving throws and save vs one effect at start of turn

Initiative+7. Speed 6. Low-Light Vision.

Common, Giant, Primordial

1: Battle Awareness

2: Light Blade Expertise

4: Hybrid Talent (Font of Life)

6: Resilient Focus

10: Improved Defenses

11: Wintertouched

11: Lasting Frost

12: Icy Heart

1: Word of Diminishment

1: Resilience of Life

1: Warden's Fury